The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > The PokéCommunity Archives > ARCHIVED: Battle Center > Competitive Team Help

Notices

Competitive Team Help Having trouble with your competitive Pokémon team? Be sure to check here if you need any help on it. Any teams intended for in-game and casual play should be posted in the In-Game Team Help sub-forum.

Advertise here

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old September 16th, 2012, 09:55 PM
AdrianD
Competitive Trainer

Nature: Serious

Advertise here
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlatinumDude View Post
I'm not sure what you mean by that, but if you're referring to the level at the time the Pokemon was caught, it should be displayed right in its summary. In Latios' case, if it was initially caught in SoulSilver, it should be caught at level 35; if it was initially caught via event in HeartGold, it should be level 40. If it was initially caught in Black 2, it should be level 68.

Duh, Shouldve read it. It can be caught in Black 2??? Thats awesome. another reason to get B2

Also I was talking about its EV stats -_- fail.

New question. Going to plan using Latios. Rash nature. Planning to do this set

Recover/Psycho shift
Recover/ Reflect
Luster Purge
Psychic

Ev Sp. Atk 252
Hp 128
Spd 130 Might make this higher Still deciding. Want some thoughts

Last edited by AdrianD; September 16th, 2012 at 10:37 PM. Reason: Your double post has been automatically merged.
Old September 17th, 2012, 09:47 AM
PlatinumDude
Nyeh?
Community Supporter

Nature: Hasty
Send a message via Yahoo to PlatinumDude Send a message via Skype™ to PlatinumDude
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianD View Post
Duh, Shouldve read it. It can be caught in Black 2??? Thats awesome. another reason to get B2

Also I was talking about its EV stats fail.

New question. Going to plan using Latios. Rash nature. Planning to do this set

Recover/Psycho shift
Recover/ Reflect
Luster Purge
Psychic

Ev Sp. Atk 252
Hp 128
Spd 130 Might make this higher Still deciding. Want some thoughts
Latios needs all the Speed it can get to compensate for the lost Speed from using Rash. Rash takes away from Latios' good Special Defense slightly, but at least it's an alternative if you don't want to spend loads of time going for a Timid/Modest Latios.

Regarding the set itself, Latios' sets lean towards a sweeping role; Latias can handle defensive sets better. Latios is better with using Calm Mind + 3 attacks (or 2 attacks + Recover), Life Orb + 4 attacks (or 3 attacks + Recover), Dual Screens + Memento, or a Choice set. Latios has a good movepool to choose from, so you can pick Draco Meteor or Dragon Pulse as your main STAB move, then fill the last 3 slots with coverage options that you need. While Luster Purge is tempting to use because it's Latios' signature move, it's not worth using because it has less PP and power than Psychic. Latios is also walled by Dark Pokemon currently.

Old September 17th, 2012, 10:46 AM
AdrianD
Competitive Trainer

Quote:
Latios needs all the Speed it can get to compensate for the lost Speed from using Rash. Rash takes away from Latios' good Special Defense slightly, but at least it's an alternative if you don't want to spend loads of time going for a Timid/Modest Latios.

Regarding the set itself, Latios' sets lean towards a sweeping role; Latias can handle defensive sets better. Latios is better with using Calm Mind + 3 attacks (or 2 attacks + Recover), Life Orb + 4 attacks (or 3 attacks + Recover), Dual Screens + Memento, or a Choice set. Latios has a good movepool to choose from, so you can pick Draco Meteor or Dragon Pulse as your main STAB move, then fill the last 3 slots with coverage options that you need. While Luster Purge is tempting to use because it's Latios' signature move, it's not worth using because it has less PP and power than Psychic. Latios is also walled by Dark Pokemon currently.

How does Latios lose speed when Rash nature is (+Sp atk) (-Sp def)
and considering that Latios is Psychic wouldnt he still get the STAB with Psychic moves?
Old September 17th, 2012, 11:04 AM
PlatinumDude
Nyeh?
Community Supporter

Send a message via Yahoo to PlatinumDude Send a message via Skype™ to PlatinumDude
Quote:
and considering that Latios is Psychic wouldnt he still get the STAB with Psychic moves?
I'm aware of the Rash nature, but what I'm saying is that most, if not all, Latios run a Timid nature to outspeed as much Pokemon as possible. Assuming 31 IVs and 252 EVs, a Rash/Modest/Mild Latios has 319 Speed at level 100, which means that it gets outpaced by base 100 Speed Pokemon that use Hasty, Naive, Timid or Jolly.

And yes, Latios does get STAB from Psychic. It has 2 Psychic-typed moves, hence why I said that its current set is walled by Dark Pokemon.

Old September 17th, 2012, 11:43 AM
Satoshi Ookami
Memento Mori
Community Supporter

Nature: Calm
Quote:
It still needs speed more than anything else as he's supposed to mainly work as sweeper.
If you concentrate on HP, Choice Scarf Tyranitar or something like that will totally overspeed your Latios and crush it with Crunch or something like that.
And yes, Latios gets STAB from psychic type attacks but only Psychic (from the attacking moves) is worth using (also Psyshock is good against Sp.Walls but it lask the power Psychic has.)

Anime List | PSN Trophy List
Old September 17th, 2012, 04:10 PM
AdrianD
Competitive Trainer

Well im sure that stuck with this latios w rash. should i ev max its speed? then go sp atk and hp. Should mix psychic and dragon move or stay with a straight move set?
Old September 17th, 2012, 04:37 PM
PlatinumDude
Nyeh?
Community Supporter

Quote:
Well im sure that stuck with this latios w rash. should i ev max its speed? then go sp atk and hp. Should mix psychic and dragon move or stay with a straight move set?
It's better to use offensive sets with Latios (Calm Mind, Life Orb, Choice), given its base stats.

Old September 17th, 2012, 07:16 PM
AdrianD
Competitive Trainer

Quote:
It's better to use offensive sets with Latios (Calm Mind, Life Orb, Choice), given its base stats.
If the stats help

HP 120
Atk 87
Def 71
Sp Atk 125
Sp Def 89
Spd 94
Old September 17th, 2012, 07:25 PM
PlatinumDude
Nyeh?
Community Supporter

Quote:
If the stats help

HP 120
Atk 87
Def 71
Sp Atk 125
Sp Def 89
Spd 94
Latios was untrained by the time you posted this, right? And by base stats, I meant base 130 Special Attack, base 110 Speed, that sort of stuff.

And in that case, go ahead and EV train Latios.

Old September 17th, 2012, 07:42 PM
AdrianD
Competitive Trainer

Quote:
Latios was untrained by the time you posted this, right? And by base stats, I meant base 130 Special Attack, base 110 Speed, that sort of stuff.

And in that case, go ahead and EV train Latios.
Yes its untrained. What would you suggest the Ev Draw should be?
Old September 17th, 2012, 08:07 PM
PlatinumDude
Nyeh?
Community Supporter

Quote:
Yes its untrained. What would you suggest the Ev Draw should be?
As I've said before, 4 HP/252 SAtk/252 Spe. Latios needs all the speed and power it can get.

Old September 18th, 2012, 07:52 PM
AdrianD
Competitive Trainer

New problem. I have it ev trained to 6 Hp (i think) 250ish Sp atk and Spd 252.

Before I completed my EV training leveling up twice I have a Sp atk +5 and +4 respectively, The next 2 levels up +4 and +3 Sp atk raised respectively.

However on the latter 2 level ups my speed when +4 and +3 respectively. Does the amount of addition amounts of stats average out between the two or Did I do something wrong? I would think that I would be getting +4 and +5s or more when ev training but dont seem to be doin it right.

Thoughts?

Latest Level up +4 sp atk +3 spd
Old September 18th, 2012, 09:08 PM
PlatinumDude
Nyeh?
Community Supporter

Quote:
New problem. I have it ev trained to 6 Hp (i think) 250ish Sp atk and Spd 252.

Before I completed my EV training leveling up twice I have a Sp atk +5 and +4 respectively, The next 2 levels up +4 and +3 Sp atk raised respectively.

However on the latter 2 level ups my speed when +4 and +3 respectively. Does the amount of addition amounts of stats average out between the two or Did I do something wrong? I would think that I would be getting +4 and +5s or more when ev training but dont seem to be doin it right.

Thoughts?

Latest Level up +4 sp atk +3 spd
You didn't do anything wrong. That's how natural stat gains happen when EV training. That, or you finished EV training already.

Old September 18th, 2012, 09:29 PM
AdrianD
Competitive Trainer

Quote:
You didn't do anything wrong. That's how natural stat gains happen when EV training. That, or you finished EV training already.

Will holding a training brace of some sort help increase the stats?
Old September 18th, 2012, 10:50 PM
Satoshi Ookami
Memento Mori
Community Supporter

Quote:
Will holding a training brace of some sort help increase the stats?
If you already finished your EV training then not.
If you did not, then EVs will be spread quicker so you will probably see bigger boost in stats.

Old September 19th, 2012, 11:05 AM
AdrianD
Competitive Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash493 View Post
If you already finished your EV training then not.
If you did not, then EVs will be spread quicker so you will probably see bigger boost in stats.
Ok. Ive been getting bi-polar results. couple levels i get +2, +3, now couple of levels are +4 and +5. I am guessing its all random again. Cant really control it right?
Old September 19th, 2012, 11:18 AM
PlatinumDude
Nyeh?
Community Supporter

Quote:
Ok. Ive been getting bi-polar results. couple levels i get +2, +3, now couple of levels are +4 and +5. I am guessing its all random again. Cant really control it right?
Nope, that's natural stat gain happening post-EV training.

Old September 19th, 2012, 11:51 PM
AdrianD
Competitive Trainer

Quote:
Nope, that's natural stat gain happening post-EV training.
Ok. Im glad to know that I am properly training the pokemon. I was worried I was doin it wrong

Charizard or Inferape? I am likely breeding both of them with a naive or the other +spd -def cant think of it. Any way would like thoughts.

Last edited by Went; September 20th, 2012 at 12:21 AM. Reason: Please do not doublepost
Old September 20th, 2012, 11:42 AM
PlatinumDude
Nyeh?
Community Supporter

Quote:
Ok. Im glad to know that I am properly training the pokemon. I was worried I was doin it wrong

Charizard or Inferape? I am likely breeding both of them with a naive or the other +spd -def cant think of it. Any way would like thoughts.
If you're using a Sun team, Charizard is most likely the best choice because of Solar Power boosting its Special Attack to insane levels in sunlight, but then again, this type of Charizard is only available as a DW event (male-only, unfortunately, so you can't pass the ability down by breeding it), which means you'll have to stick to Blaze Charizard, who isn't very good nowadays. In that case, Infernape is the better option because it's a bit faster than Charizard and has a very wide movepool, allowing it to run mixed, physical and special sets effectively.

Old September 20th, 2012, 12:39 PM
AdrianD
Competitive Trainer

Quote:
If you're using a Sun team, Charizard is most likely the best choice because of Solar Power boosting its Special Attack to insane levels in sunlight, but then again, this type of Charizard is only available as a DW event (male-only, unfortunately, so you can't pass the ability down by breeding it), which means you'll have to stick to Blaze Charizard, who isn't very good nowadays. In that case, Infernape is the better option because it's a bit faster than Charizard and has a very wide movepool, allowing it to run mixed, physical and special sets effectively.
Is it possible to breed egg moves of Poison spikes and Stealth rock in the same pokemon? Im rebooting the team with new ferroseed and pinco with each of those respectively wonder if either one can have both.
Old September 20th, 2012, 12:50 PM
PlatinumDude
Nyeh?
Community Supporter

Quote:
Is it possible to breed egg moves of Poison spikes and Stealth rock in the same pokemon? Im rebooting the team with new ferroseed and pinco with each of those respectively wonder if either one can have both.
"Toxic Spikes," you mean. Before you continue, Ferroseed and Pineco can't breed together; Ferroseed belongs to the Plant and Mineral egg groups, while Pineco belongs to the Bug egg group.

And yes, it's possible for Forretress to have both Stealth Rock and Toxic Spikes at once; you just need to use the Stealth Rock TM on Pineco/Forretress in Gen IV, then transfer it to Gen V, or wait until B2/W2, when Stealth Rock is available as a move tutor.

For the sake of convenience, it might be a better idea to use Spikes + Toxic Spikes on Forretress.

Old September 20th, 2012, 08:48 PM
AdrianD
Competitive Trainer

which pokemon are best bred fastest to get spikes, toxic spikes, and stealth rock all on one pokemon.

Also what would be suggested move set for frillish?

Last edited by AdrianD; September 20th, 2012 at 09:19 PM.
Old September 21st, 2012, 12:10 AM
Satoshi Ookami
Memento Mori
Community Supporter

Quote:
which pokemon are best bred fastest to get spikes, toxic spikes, and stealth rock all on one pokemon.
Again, Foretress is capable of having all these attacks.

Old September 21st, 2012, 09:20 AM
PlatinumDude
Nyeh?
Community Supporter

Quote:

Also what would be suggested move set for frillish?
What Ash493 said. In Gen V, it's possible to breed for a Pineco with Stealth Rock using a female Pineco and a male Dwebble/Crustle, but as I said, you're better off waiting for B2/W2, since Stealth Rock is available as a move tutor there. And it's not recommended to have all 3 entry hazards on one Pokemon because:
-Forretress becomes Taunt/setup bait
-You're forced to give up Rapid Spin or an attacking move (Gyro Ball for STAB, Earthquake to hit Steels and Volt Switch to escape Magnezone or give a teammate a free switch in, considering that Forretress is a very slow Pokemon) both of which are essential for Forretress.

Regarding Frillish/Jellicent, these sets are your best bets:
-Scald/Surf
-Will-o-Wisp/Toxic
-Recover
-Taunt
Nature: Bold
EVs: 248 HP/216 Def/44 Spe
Item: Leftovers

or
-Scald
-Shadow Ball/Ice Beam
-Will-o-Wisp/Toxic
-Recover
EVs: 252 HP/36 Def/220 SDef
Ability: Water Absorb

or
-Water Spout
-Shadow Ball
-Surf/Scald/Hydro Pump
-Ice Beam/Giga Drain
Nature: Modest
EVs: 172 HP/252 SAtk/84 Spe
Item: Choice Specs

Old September 21st, 2012, 08:20 PM
AdrianD
Competitive Trainer

Quote:
What Ash493 said. In Gen V, it's possible to breed for a Pineco with Stealth Rock using a female Pineco and a male Dwebble/Crustle, but as I said, you're better off waiting for B2/W2, since Stealth Rock is available as a move tutor there. And it's not recommended to have all 3 entry hazards on one Pokemon because:
-Forretress becomes Taunt/setup bait
-You're forced to give up Rapid Spin or an attacking move (Gyro Ball for STAB, Earthquake to hit Steels and Volt Switch to escape Magnezone or give a teammate a free switch in, considering that Forretress is a very slow Pokemon) both of which are essential for Forretress.

Regarding Frillish/Jellicent, these sets are your best bets:
-Scald/Surf
-Will-o-Wisp/Toxic
-Recover
-Taunt
Nature: Bold
EVs: 248 HP/216 Def/44 Spe

or
-Scald
-Shadow Ball/Ice Beam
-Will-o-Wisp/Toxic
-Recover
EVs: 252 HP/36 Def/220 SDef

or
-Water Spout
-Shadow Ball
-Surf/Scald/Hydro Pump
-Ice Beam/Giga Drain
Nature: Modest
EVs: 172 HP/252 SAtk/84 Spe
Item: Choice Specs

Two things.

Can B2/W2 be transfered back to B/W?

Two Ive been breeding cursed body, is that an acceptable ability to use?

Last edited by AdrianD; September 23rd, 2012 at 07:29 PM.

Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here