The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > The PokéCommunity Archives > ARCHIVED: Battle Center

Notices

ARCHIVED: Battle Center This forum is designed for all of your Pokémon battling needs! The main forum is meant for discussions, battle requests, battle logs, and other threads related to battling. Look to the sub-forums for events and team help.

Advertise here

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old September 17th, 2012, 11:43 AM
Anti
I forgive you, Chris Bosh.

Nature: Serious

Advertise here
Maybe it wasn't our similarities to Smogon that doomed us but rather the absolute stagnation in both thought and action of our battling community? To me, Smogon isn't a real threat to our userbase as long as PC is fairly vibrant. After all, once you make friends here and get acclimated to the culture and accepted into the community, why leave? What does PC not have that Smogon does? Their ladder is necessary but little else is.

Of course, PC's battling community isn't vibrant at all anymore. Or at least it wasn't when I left. Which I think is more of the problem than Smogon's superpower status, something that wasn't even a problem until PC became so unbearable that I think people leaving was inevitable whether Smogon has been there as a competitor or not. I think focusing on just making PC fun again is the best policy. Not active, fun. And just rebuild what once existed.

edit: (brought this up because I feel like not doing things because "that doesn't make us distinct from smogon" is a very narrow approach)

~wolf: defeated every lead except elf :>
d_a-bread house: what about metagross
~wolf: ok that too
Old September 17th, 2012, 01:01 PM
wolf

I mean, I think it's a worth a try especially since most of our battlers play NU, but it doesn't give new users a reason to join us instead of Smogon. However, I don't think we should force ourselves to try something we don't want to do simply to make us unique. I suppose the best option for us in the end is to simply use the forum: post discussions, help new users with their teams, create fun events, etc. Maybe we can revisit this later?

Oh, and forgot to reply to server business. Petie hasn't had a chance to get the server up again. I might attempt to make one myself for the time being, but node.js (program required for making a PS server) refuses to work. Or I could remake the PO server, but my router has such strict security settings I'm not sure if it'll allow others to connect.
Old September 17th, 2012, 10:27 PM
Forever
let it go

Well idk I just came up with that because of like the other posts were sorta leading into why PC in fact p sure some of them did say that, but I really do think if we place a huge emphasis on OU in general though I don't think we'll get anywhere given most of us don't play that. But also I know a lot of us actively do ladder or do that when I tell them to so if we did get a server back and go from there rather than Smogon, then ya that might help too. I mean I don't think those of us who play NU have really stopped (idk I'm grouping OU players as such a small amount and afaik they don't as much? I DUNNO) and--I'm confusing my words here. OKAY. What I was saying was if the community concentrated less on OU, more on the ladder here and the regulars here it'll work out better because I know when I've been laddering the people on Smogon are randomly rude and you don't really get that here, or at least won't anymore. But really I think getting a server then working from there would probably be best to do tbh.
Old September 18th, 2012, 07:25 AM
Anti
I forgive you, Chris Bosh.

Nature: Serious
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolflare View Post
I mean, I think it's a worth a try especially since most of our battlers play NU, but it doesn't give new users a reason to join us instead of Smogon. However, I don't think we should force ourselves to try something we don't want to do simply to make us unique. I suppose the best option for us in the end is to simply use the forum: post discussions, help new users with their teams, create fun events, etc. Maybe we can revisit this later?
Is that really how things work? I feel like the forum someone joins is pretty random to begin with and it's more a matter of making it interesting and fun so people want to stick around.

I agree with the rest though. I don't think the issue of fun is something to revisit though as it is of the utmost importance. I can only speak for myself, but I left because nothing happened and...it just wasn't fun!

Anyway, I'll stop intruding in this thread. Good luck everyone!

~wolf: defeated every lead except elf :>
d_a-bread house: what about metagross
~wolf: ok that too
Old September 18th, 2012, 02:36 PM
wolf

Quote:
Is that really how things work? I feel like the forum someone joins is pretty random to begin with and it's more a matter of making it interesting and fun so people want to stick around.
Yeah, that's true.

Quote:
I agree with the rest though. I don't think the issue of fun is something to revisit though as it is of the utmost importance. I can only speak for myself, but I left because nothing happened and...it just wasn't fun!
I meant revisit on how to make BC distinct from other battle forums. I think the obvious choice for making this place fun again is reviving the NU Discussion and perhaps spark some life in it, ya? Most people play NU, and everyone's opinions on OU is very...polarized. Before I do anything though, I have to learn how to play NU first.

Anyway, I'm working on getting a PO server that we can use before Petie gets the PS server up again. I'll let you guys know once I get the server working (if that happens). No luck.

Last edited by wolf; September 18th, 2012 at 03:46 PM.
Old September 18th, 2012, 05:49 PM
Fire Flyy
metaphysical poet

Nature: Sassy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anti View Post
Maybe it wasn't our similarities to Smogon that doomed us but rather the absolute stagnation in both thought and action of our battling community? To me, Smogon isn't a real threat to our userbase as long as PC is fairly vibrant. After all, once you make friends here and get acclimated to the culture and accepted into the community, why leave? What does PC not have that Smogon does? Their ladder is necessary but little else is.

Of course, PC's battling community isn't vibrant at all anymore. Or at least it wasn't when I left. Which I think is more of the problem than Smogon's superpower status, something that wasn't even a problem until PC became so unbearable that I think people leaving was inevitable whether Smogon has been there as a competitor or not. I think focusing on just making PC fun again is the best policy. Not active, fun. And just rebuild what once existed.

edit: (brought this up because I feel like not doing things because "that doesn't make us distinct from smogon" is a very narrow approach)
You aren't wrong or anything, but Smogon doesn't have a monopoly on competitive battling entirely; Serebii's battle section is fairly active [very by pcomm's standards], so I guess that proves that its possible to actually have a thriving, for lack of better words, battles section that isn't Smogon. There are obviously negative connotations that go along with the name Serebii and many of them are true; but this battle community is at around the same skill level or whatever as them.
Old September 18th, 2012, 08:51 PM
Forever
let it go

Quote:
Anyway, I'm working on getting a PO server that we can use before Petie gets the PS server up again. I'll let you guys know once I get the server working (if that happens). No luck.
There's also currently a server called PokeCommunity server. :( I think we're better off just waiting til we get PS back tbh.
Old September 20th, 2012, 01:27 PM
Zeffy

Send a message via Skype™ to Zeffy
I think I've seen this point raised somewhere in the thread, but I want to point out how it could help. Instead of trying to make people join (or be a BC regular) right now, the regulars should first sharpen their skills at a specific tier, work their way to the other tiers and follow-through. If you think that the community is already skilled in NU (I think it is), then everyone should try their hand at another tier (UU or OU, for example). They could accommodate other people to try the tier too, and make it some sort of a mutual relationship.

Real-time chat is also very helpful. Smogon has a large irc community (I think they almost own synirc lol), but PC doesn't. PC has #thepokecommunity, but talking about battling there annoys some people. shnen actually had the liberty to make a channel for team building and, to an extent, competitive battling (or just battling itself). It isn't official or anything, but it's there. Nothing is more helpful than real-time help, nothing. The lack of a server doesn't help either. Having an irc channel would really help, imo.

That's just my 2 cents right now. I have more to say, but I have to go to school in 30 minutes and I'm still not ready yet lol.
Old September 20th, 2012, 02:42 PM
wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requility View Post
There's also currently a server called PokeCommunity server. :( I think we're better off just waiting til we get PS back tbh.
I know right lol!! I was wondering what that was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeffy View Post
I think I've seen this point raised somewhere in the thread, but I want to point out how it could help. Instead of trying to make people join (or be a BC regular) right now, the regulars should first sharpen their skills at a specific tier, work their way to the other tiers and follow-through. If you think that the community is already skilled in NU (I think it is), then everyone should try their hand at another tier (UU or OU, for example). They could accommodate other people to try the tier too, and make it some sort of a mutual relationship.
I don't know, that's asking a lot. It takes a while to learn a new tier. We're having difficulty getting an active community that can simply play one tier to begin with. We'll definitely branch out to other tiers later once we've established a community that can battle.

Quote:
Real-time chat is also very helpful. Smogon has a large irc community (I think they almost own synirc lol), but PC doesn't. PC has #thepokecommunity, but talking about battling there annoys some people. shnen actually had the liberty to make a channel for team building and, to an extent, competitive battling (or just battling itself). It isn't official or anything, but it's there. Nothing is more helpful than real-time help, nothing. The lack of a server doesn't help either. Having an irc channel would really help, imo.
Having both a IRC channel and a battle server seems a bit pointless to me. We've traditionally used the battle server for real-time chat, since it's practically the same thing but with the option to battle (afaik?). I would be fine with an IRC channel, but then no one would visit the battle server. And if there's no one on the battle server, there wouldn't be a point in having it. Unless you guys would rather have an IRC channel, and use the official PS server for battling? However, we could use the channel for when the server is down and Petie is too busy to get it back up (right now, basically).
Old September 21st, 2012, 02:35 AM
Zeffy

Quote:
I don't know, that's asking a lot. It takes a while to learn a new tier. We're having difficulty getting an active community that can simply play one tier to begin with. We'll definitely branch out to other tiers later once we've established a community that can battle.
That was what I was saying. I apologize if my wording was confusing, I wrote that 5 minutes after waking up. I don't know why, but I just did. u_u

Quote:
Having both a IRC channel and a battle server seems a bit pointless to me. We've traditionally used the battle server for real-time chat, since it's practically the same thing but with the option to battle (afaik?). I would be fine with an IRC channel, but then no one would visit the battle server. And if there's no one on the battle server, there wouldn't be a point in having it. Unless you guys would rather have an IRC channel, and use the official PS server for battling? However, we could use the channel for when the server is down and Petie is too busy to get it back up (right now, basically).
I'm all up for using the irc channel for when the server is down (which is, as you have said, right now). When the server is back up, then I suppose we could use that for real-time chat instead of the irc.
Old September 21st, 2012, 10:32 AM
wolf

Just posting to say that we now have a PS server thanks to PPN (and Nica for asking?)! I'm not sure if this is temporary or not though (waiting for Nica to verify this). Here is the URL anyway: http://tinyurl.com/tpcbattleserver
Old September 21st, 2012, 06:10 PM
Zeffy

I think I remember her saying that the server was for, uhmm, the PCX. If it's going to be permanent then that would be great, but when we tested it last night the ladders weren't working yet.
Old September 21st, 2012, 06:12 PM
wolf

That's because the server needed to be registered. It's all good now.
Old September 21st, 2012, 06:14 PM
Zeffy

I'm not familiar with running PS servers and such, I'm glad it's all good now. Hopefully this server is going to stay! :3
Old September 22nd, 2012, 01:07 AM
Forever
let it go

Yeah PPN said he's fine with it being the permanent server, so yays! ALSO, PPN says if I remind him he'll get the ladder sorted so it actually DISPLAYS our rankings, since ranked battles count but... it doesn't actually show lmao :( So whoo server issues almost fixed!
Old September 22nd, 2012, 01:44 PM
wolf

That's good news!

I'm glad that I'm pretty much finished with the forum revamp. I only have a couple other things to do and I'll be done. Now I can focus on increasing forum activity (Community Night anyone?). I can't guarantee anything though; I am going to be busier in the future.
Old September 26th, 2012, 06:01 PM
wolf

So, I've been in a brainstorming mood. I thought up some tournament ideas. Feel free to comment on them. I'm mostly just posting this to archive them I guess. I might edit this with more.

B2W2 launch tournament. Participants battle each other with their in-game teams after defeating each Gym Leader. Probably too late for this?

Point tournament, but with some changes. Winning a battle gives 10 points, losing one gives 5 points. Everyone is restricted with NU Pokémon at the beginning. As people collect points, they will be able to "buy" a Pokémon from upper tiers. One Pokémon from RU costs 10 points, one from UU costs 20 points, one from OU costs 30 points, etc. After buying a Pokémon, they can use it in their team.
Old September 26th, 2012, 08:12 PM
Krazzikk

Nature: Relaxed
Hmmm, the tournament idea sounds interesting, but you might have to ban Ubers because even if they are 50 points each, they will still be OP. And it would be a bit un-fair to people who haven't battled too often yet

You must edit it to meet the limits set by the rules before you may remove the [sig-reason] code from your signature. Removing this tag will re-enable it.

Do not remove the tag until you fix the issues in your signature. You may be infracted for removing this tag if you do not fix the specified issues. Do not use this tag for decoration purposes.
Old October 8th, 2012, 07:58 AM
wolf

Gonna post another idea. Nica and I could each create a clan, and we could use the Community Night to garner interest and sign ups. Sure, we tried this last time, but it's worth another shot. I think two clans instead of three will be better, and it'll be easier to have clan wars (since the two clans will have more people in them than three).
Old October 10th, 2012, 12:44 PM
wolf

Bumping this up. I had another idea. I always thought that having separate threads for each clans were pointless because they never made use of them. Clan-specific leaderboards are redundant when there's a server ladder for the entire community, and the same goes for clan-specific discussion, tournaments, etc. The main draw of clans is the clan wars, and the team aspect of it. Why not focus on that, ya?

So, how about a "PokéCommunity League"? However, this will be much different from the previous one. The league will be split into divisions of seven people (starting with two divisions and making more when we get more people). Each will probably have their own theme and name (like SPL). i.e. Name: Sacred Wings, theme: Ho-Oh. The main premise is getting your team into the hall of fame. For the team to get into the hall of fame, each member of a division must defeat the other members (that aren't in the same division as the user) in a "best out of three" battle. Once a team has members who have defeated all of the other people, they'll be inducted into the hall of fame. If another team reaches this same goal, they will have a clan war to decide who gets into the hall of fame. I'm guessing that once a team does get into the hall of fame, everyone's records is reset and it starts over. Each time the league starts over, it will change metagames to use for the event.

Thoughts?
Old October 13th, 2012, 08:51 PM
Fire Flyy
metaphysical poet

Nature: Sassy
sounds cool and fun to me (y)
Old October 15th, 2012, 04:02 AM
Forever
let it go

Okay so I was watching Big Brother and I was just thinking about a tourney that can be done!

So there's 16 people in the tourney. Each week the people must win as many battles as they can in comparison to their losses, and their win/loss ratio is recorded in private (they must send "Big Brother" their win/loss ratio rather than let anyone see). The interesting part is that the other participants don't know the other participants ratios, and those with the bottom three ratios for the week get put to a vote. Everyone else in it votes for who they want to eliminate (it's strategic because you can potentially eliminate a tougher opponent if they have a bad week and are up for elimination, or someone you think might be a threat to you winning it). At the end of that week, just before the three are decided, one person is eliminated and their battles will no longer count towards the prize. There will be a wonderful eventual prize idk we can't really give people a million dollars on here, can we?

idk I preferred the most amount of wins, rather than ratios but shnen said it should be based on skill but I'm not sure win/loss ratios would be the most effective at activity tbh.

But ya, that was my idea.
Old October 15th, 2012, 09:44 AM
wolf

Well, I went the amount of wins for the PCX tournament because PC Tour originally did that and it was a failure. It's a worth a shot again now that our battle community is more active though. Otherwise, I really like the tournament concept.

Also, I'm going to have the PC League sign ups happen during the next Community Night (the Halloween one), because I'll probably have the thread finished by then. I'll post here again once I start working on the league, and I might include Karp's (or Fire Flyy, whatever you want to be called lol) idea if it meshes well with the current one. I'll have to think some more though.
Old October 17th, 2012, 10:02 AM
Forever
let it go

So Wolf and I were discussing potential niches on the server - since having something that makes BC stand out from other battling forums is a good thing and can attract more people + set apart from Smogon.

Wolf came up with older gens, specialising in them/covering them more than Smogon has, but that could be a challenge. He also suggested half-jokingly PU (the tier between NFE and NU, aka the never used of NU) - which is totally a good idea.

I came up with concentrating on triples/rotationals. I think there's great potential for specialising in either of them considering I don't think Smogon has much/any coverage of those, and I already have some ideas in mind. For that to happen we were thinking to use Trade Corner's Pokemon as "borrowed" so it seems more like a PC thing since you can only do it on the games.

Would anyone be interested, or...?
Old October 17th, 2012, 10:05 AM
wolf

I think we could try triples/rotationals, but only when the forum has matured a bit (once we have a NU discussion, a reliable community, the PC League is up, etc.). Also, having a NU discussion might encourage server regulars to start posting in the actual forum more, because we really need some forum regulars.

Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here