The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > The PokéCommunity Archives > ARCHIVED: Battle Center > In-Game Team Help

Notices

In-Game Team Help Can't defeat the Elite Four with your current team? Need help improving your Battle Subway team? This is the place for team help concerning in-game and casual play. Teams focused on the more competitive aspect of Pokémon must be posted in the Competitive Team Help sub-forum.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old April 2nd, 2013, 07:26 AM
AdrianD
Competitive Trainer

Nature: Serious
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumpner View Post
I am currently playing through Emerald and i have been picking up interesting pokemon, that i normally don't choose, for various reasons.

I want to setup a team for the Elite 4 and beyond of Non-Legendaries and hope to get your opinions.

I would just like to know, out of these, which team would be best suited. This way i can focus a bit more on them.

These are the pokemon i have currently, including movesets and levels.

Wailmer Lvl 32

Rollout
Blizzard
Surf
Mist

Manectric Lvl 32

Howl
Spark
Thunder
Quick Attack

Gardevior Lvl 30

Calm Mind
Teleport
Shock Wave
Psychic

Grovyle Lvl 34

Leaf Blade
Cut
Absorb
Pursuit

Camerupt Lvl 33

Rock Slide
Strength
Fire Blast
Sunny Day

Vibrava Lvl 35

Crunch
Fly
Dragonbreath
Sand Tomb

Castform Lvl 25

Powder snow
Rain Dance
Sunny Day
Hail

Lombre Lvl 19

Astonish
Growl
Absorb
Fake Out

Magnemite Lvl 23

Thundershock
Supersonic
Sonicboom
Thunderwave

Swellow Lvl 24

Wing Attack
Steel Wing
Focus Energy
Quick Attack

Aron Lvl 23

Metal Claw
Rock Smash
Mud Slap
Roar

Kecleon Lvl 30

Faint Attack
Fury Swipes
Psybeam
Screech

Spheal Lvl 32

Ice Ball
Body Slam
Aurora Beam
Hail

Skarmory Lvl 25

Fly
Sand Attack
Rock Smash
Agility

Azumarill Lvl 34

Surf
Rollout
Bubblebeam
Double-Edge

I am just about to get the 7th badge, so i will soon be at the Elite 4.

I plan to catch a Houndoor, Bagon and Duskull at the moment for more choice, but any suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks

Personally I think you have too many Pokemon. E4 is going to be minimum lv 45 with at least 5 pokemon each. I would always run thru at least 2 pokemon. Those two you can get to thru the entire thing w/o many problems. You can get a third just to be safe. I always ran Water starter and Ralts combo thru entire game. Just my 2 cents
Old April 2nd, 2013, 01:44 PM
inferno7453

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyl-icious View Post
Catch a Sharpedo off the west coast of Mossdeep and make sure it knows Crunch. Then have fun :3
This. And doesn't your Mightyena know a good Dark or Ghost move? That'll OHKO almost all of their Pokémon, if not all of them. For Solrock and Lunatone, your Lombre can also be useful with some Water or Grass attack.

Challenges completed:
-

Youtube Channel (for Challenge Updates): http://www.youtube.com/user/inferno7453
Old April 3rd, 2013, 02:46 AM
bobandbill
Wahahahaha!

Nature: Jolly
Send a message via AIM to bobandbill
I've merged a bunch of threads that fit here better as movesets are needed for team rates; general questions however are for this thread.
ORAS Staff Collab 2014
Old April 4th, 2013, 05:21 PM
zdude18
Lone Wolf

Nature: Relaxed
Help me out?
I have my electivire as a mixed sweeper right now

Ability - Motor Drive
-Rain Dance
-Brick Break
-Thunder
-Ice Punch
White 2: 3397 3474 0556

Last edited by zdude18; April 4th, 2013 at 05:49 PM.
Old April 9th, 2013, 08:25 PM
JoeSchneider
Unhatched Egg

i cant decide what to add in my team. Ferrothorn? or Sawsbuck? HELP!!

Lv 44Lv 44Lv 46
Gym Badges: 7
Old April 10th, 2013, 12:00 AM
Satoshi Ookami
Memento Mori
Community Supporter

Nature: Calm
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeSchneider View Post
i cant decide what to add in my team. Ferrothorn? or Sawsbuck? HELP!!
It always depends on your other teammates but Ferrothorn is such an awesome wall that I would suggest it.

Anime List | PSN Trophy List
Old April 10th, 2013, 12:19 AM
JoeSchneider
Unhatched Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash493 View Post
It always depends on your other teammates but Ferrothorn is such an awesome wall that I would suggest it.
Hmm... i have a dewott, braviary,darumaka, zoroark, and herdier. should i use ferrothorn?

Lv 44Lv 44Lv 46
Gym Badges: 7
Old April 11th, 2013, 12:36 AM
Satoshi Ookami
Memento Mori
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeSchneider View Post
Hmm... i have a dewott, braviary,darumaka, zoroark, and herdier. should i use ferrothorn?
Yeah. Your team is pretty offensively put so Ferr will be a good addition in case you will need to stall for some reason =)

Old April 13th, 2013, 02:35 PM
mozartm99

Nature: Lax
So I succeeded in ruining yet another emerald game so I restarted. What would be a good first few pokemon to catch? I chose torchic as my starter.

Edit: I've got my team mostly figured out by now and but I was still wondering if I should go with Lotad or Ralts?
Friendship dies and true love lies
Night will fall and dark will rise
when a good man goes to war
Demons run, but count the cost
the battle's won, but the child is lost.

Last edited by mozartm99; April 14th, 2013 at 07:24 AM.
Old April 16th, 2013, 11:15 AM
Rhysallatt98
Unhatched Egg

I have three Pokemon I want in my Kanto team they are charizard pikachu and dragonite but I don't know what other three I should get maybe a water and grass I don't know please help

Also it can be any Pokemon from kanto

Last edited by Rhysallatt98; April 16th, 2013 at 11:28 AM. Reason: Your double post has been automatically merged.
Old April 18th, 2013, 01:21 AM
JayBrand
Unhatched Egg

Hey everyone!

I am new to everything Pokemon basicly and decided to try it out. I thought it best to start out at the beginning with FireRed before I move on to HeartGold etc...but that is not important atm.

What I am reaching out for here is a little feedback on my pre-30's team.
I know this is probably a chore for you guys/gals, but there is so much varying information out there based on stuff I have no clue if it is relevant for me or not.

Info:
Desired playstyle/goal is to play through the normal storyline (maybe get a legendary or two if possible) and then move on to the next game. No 100% completion, competetive play etc.

Active Team so far:
Nidoking lv 24
Charmeleon lv 23 (starter choice)
Gyarados lv 20
Pikachu lv 19
Mankey lv 13
Abra lv 12

I've got several other ofc. I think I've caught all the ones available so far (I am standing outside Misty's Gym atm).

I would appreciate it very much if you would help me line up a path for the game so that I don't waste too much time leveling up something useless or something that will be swapped for something better soon anyway.

A newbie gives thanks
Old April 18th, 2013, 02:46 PM
Nathan
prince
Community Supporter

Nature: Timid
Send a message via Skype™ to Nathan
Hmm, seems like I don't understand well. You want to know if these team members are worth continuing the training on them? Or something else?
Old April 18th, 2013, 10:36 PM
JayBrand
Unhatched Egg

Thanks for getting back to me on this

Well, yes to your question, and to add to it:

Are there any specific Pokemon I really should be aiming for other than the ones I got?
Someone that are like a "given" to have in any successful party.

Example:
Drop Pikachu because you'll be getting/using [insert electrical pokemon here] later anyway.
Swap it for Spearow for now since a flying pokemon is good for [insert reason here].
And swap out Mankey since you got Nidoking. Look for a [insert type of pokemon] instead.

Last edited by JayBrand; April 18th, 2013 at 10:43 PM.
Old April 18th, 2013, 11:54 PM
Yankas

Well for in-game playthroughs, most Pokémon will work just fine, with a few notable exceptions, and a lot of people just use their favorites.
Still if you are more concerned against getting through the game swiftly, then here is some advice.

Nidoking is pretty powerful all around and is offensively powerful, his only problem is that most of his really outstanding moves are either TMs you'll only get once (Earthquake) or are incredibly expensive like Flamethrower, Ice Beam, Thunderbolt. Though you can always go for the rather cheap Blizzard, Fire Blast and Thunder which are more powerful and less costly but suffer from low PP and a reduced accuracy.
Summary: Extremely powerful, but needs TMs to work.

Charmeleon It's final form is above average when it comes to playthroughs though not overpowered or broken by any stretch of the imagination. It learns some good moves without TMs and you can teach it Fly to make some use of its secondary type. Overall a solid choice.

Gyarados Becomes much more powerful, offensively, in Generation IV. Being a Water/Flying with high Attack and no flying moves is certainly not ideal, but with its ability and high stats it is still somewhat useable. It's a good candidate for random physical moves though his move pool in that regard is very shallow
Suggestion: Replace with another water type (unless you like his cool factor), some choices are:

Pikachu Pikachu is certainly usable and learns some decent moves, but even after evolving to Raichu it's not that special. It is certainly OK, but there are some better electric types available. Though most of them have their own issues.

Mankey It's very frail with a kind of weak movepool and does not have really enough offense to make up for it. Also, there isn't that much in the game that will be weak to fighting. IT doesn't really have much going for it. It's usable but certainly below average.

Abra If you can actually evolve it to Alakazam through a trade it becomes an offensive powerhouse. There isn't much in the game that resists it with the scarcity of Dark and Steel types in FR/LG. If you can't trade you'll be stuck with Kadabra who is still pretty powerful but not that much better than other Psychics in FRLG like Mr. Mime or Hypno.

Suggestions
Lapras Strong, bulky, good coverage with Water/Ice especially in the Elite 4. Very good Pokémon you get it pretty late in Saffron City. If you don't have some personal preference for Gyarados' 'awesome'-factor then definitely replace him.
Vaporeon Very very sturdy with decent offensive stats. Another valid water-type to consider if you wish to replace Gyarados.
Snorlax pretty powerful, good moves, good defensive stats. Can learn a wide array of coverage moves like Shadow Ball. Replacing either Mankey or Pikachu would be a good choice.
Machop - replace Mankey only if you can trade to evolve Machop to his final form and you actually want to have a fighting type on your team.
Hitmonlee another potent fighting type with strong attack. Available reasonably early once you get to Saffron city.
Jinx You can trade a Poliwhirl in Cerulean to get her. That also means that her experience gain will get boosted which is a nice bonus. If you take Lapras their typing is a little redundant, but it's not a big issue. Again replace either Mankey or Pikachu.
Zapdos only if you don't mind using legendaries. Very powerful and already caught at a high level.
Some others: Doduo, Geodude, Electabuzz, Jolteon, Mr. Mime, Exeggcute.

Obviously those suggestions are under the assumption that you have taken no particular liking to any members of your team, otherwise I'd advise against replacing them.
Old April 19th, 2013, 05:19 AM
JayBrand
Unhatched Egg

Thanks for the great and informative reply :D

It really gave me some food for thought.
After looking them up I think I will be aiming for this setup:

Charmander/-meleon/-izard (fire/flying)
Nidoking (poison/ground)
Lapras (water/ice)
Kadabra (psychic) (can't trade sadly...still keep after 30's?)
Zapdos (electric/flying)
Snorlax (normal)

And I'll keep the option of going for Vaporeon/Jolteon and the other forms as an alternative I think.

And consider something other than Kadabra since he is kinda stuck in that form for me.
Him and Diglett have been ravaging opponents lately though so they do a good job atm at least.

I'm not overly attached to any of them yet, but do keep Char and Nido with me at all times since they are the ones I've had the longest.

Thanks again for the help
Old April 19th, 2013, 10:51 AM
Nathan
prince
Community Supporter

Nature: Timid
Send a message via Skype™ to Nathan
Do you plan to take on the Elite Four with that team too?
Old April 19th, 2013, 01:57 PM
Yankas

Kadabra is fine, it is still very powerful with an excellent 120 Sp. Atk and high speed. Mr. Mime is an alternative psychic type with less SpAtk and more balanced defensive stats. Though if you don't want to use him you can replace him with pretty much anyone, you don't really need a psychic type as you should have mostly any opponent covered with the current team.
Old April 19th, 2013, 03:32 PM
RoreyG
Lizardon Man

Nature: Adamant
I'm currently in the midst of a Leaf Green playthrough and I'm unsure about what moves to put on my Charizard.

I've got:
Flamethrower
Ariel Ace
Slash (planning on replacing it with Dragon Claw)
Steel Wing or Iron Tail

I usually have Earthquake in place of the Steel Type moves in order to handle Rock types but I'm using a Nidoking this time around and intend to teach it Earthquake instead.

Old April 19th, 2013, 09:08 PM
Sir Mister
Unhatched Egg

Nature: Quirky
RoreyG, have you considered Sunny Day? IMHO a 4th attack is not your optimal choice here, you've got your bases covered, but if you want to keep him out for a while, Sunny Day prevents Water from decimating him in one hit, makes him hit harder, and potentially sets up other pokemon as well, depending on who you're bringing to the table.

Now, posting here as I understand this to be the correct section:

I'm currently playing White, and I'm having some trouble deciding on my moveset for Lilligant. Between the immunity to confusion and the plethora of means of gaining life, not to mention the Massive special attack and well balanced stats, she's a shoe in to compliment my Emboar and take down all the pokemon he has trouble with. The trouble I'm having is in deciding her desired moveset. I have 2 I want for sure, and another 3 I'd like in an ideal world, which is obviously one too many. In addition, I may have missed something obvious, so suggestions are always welcome. Here's my thoughts so far:

Giga Drain- Obviously. I gain life, it gets STAB, does reasonable damage, and has perfect base accuracy? Sign me up.
Sleep Powder- I like moves that put opponents to sleep. In addition to being great for reducing her incoming damage and/or forcing a swap, it's wonderful for catching pokemon in the wild, which is important to me. A must have. It's no Spore, but it'll do.

The 3 in debate:
Petal Dance- Does GREAT damage, very PP efficient (essentially it's like a 120 base power move with 25PP and 100% accuracy), and as she has own tempo, it doesn't confuse her. The downside? It locks her actions until it plays out, which means if things go south (she KOs someone and they send out a Bug/Poison type, for example) I have no way of reacting to it. As Grass is much more of a specialty type than, say, water, it's a dangerous thing to be locked in that long.
Aromatherapy- Cures all status ailments- for the whole party! When you've beaten 4 of 6 pokemon, but you have someone paralyzed, someone poisoned, and someone who put themselves to sleep via Rest, having that kind of reset power is beyond useful, it's a game changer. Also, not having to use items when slogging through an area full of pokemon who like status ailments is nice. The downside? It's an incredibly specialized need, and may only come into play a handful of times. Sure, it'll be fantastic when it is needed, and if I don't have it then I'll regret it, but will I regret it more than the number of times I stare at the 5/5 PP which hasn't seen action in days?
Quiver Dance- Raises Sp. Atk, Sp. Def, and Speed, all in one move! After 1 use, that's 50% more damage done, 33% less damage taken (from special), and essentially a guarantee I'm going first. Worth it during any battle in which she's fighting more than 1 pokemon. 2 uses and her already high Sp. Atk means against anyone not resistant to Grass, she's unbeatable. The downside? As Grass is a specialty type, she'll never be a true sweeper. Even if she fights more than 1 pokemon in a battle, it is in No way guaranteed they'll be in a row, and unless a fight takes more than 4 turns (unlikely if she's super effective against her opponent, which most of the time she will be), it would have been more effective from an offensive end to just attack, or from a defensive end to put them to sleep. Either way, the stat boost was a wasted move.

Other options:
Leech Seed (additional healing, which carries over if she switches)
Hidden Power Fire (for enemies where Grass won't work but which don't require immediate switching)
Entrainment (For getting rid of troublesome abilities, as Own Tempo is a relatively innocuous ability on an enemy)

Thoughts?

Btw, I'm new to the forums, and thanks for your time!

Last edited by Sir Mister; April 19th, 2013 at 09:49 PM.
Old April 19th, 2013, 09:56 PM
Hikamaru
sociopathic
Community Supporter

I personally think your suggestions so far are good, but given ingame experiences and stuff I've read myself I think I might have found the perfect moveset for Lilligant.

Based on what I know, the usual best recommended moveset for ingame Lilligant is the following: Sleep Powder, Giga Drain, Petal Dance and Quiver Dance. Lilligant's Grass attacks alone may run into problems but they will hit pretty hard after a Quiver Dance boost or two and its Speed isn't too shabby so it can pull it off well.

Petal Dance is great in conjunction with Own Tempo since it won't confuse you, and Giga Drain deals damage while giving you free healing. Sleep Powder is handy for debilitating foes into sleeping where it can give you a good opportunity to set up Quiver Dances and then hit hard.

Hidden Power Fire is handy for covering a few of Grass' weaknesses, but it's more preferred on competitive sets. Remember that Quiver Dance is a must-have since that's part of Lilligant's usual strategy, competitive or not.

Last edited by Hikamaru; April 19th, 2013 at 10:02 PM.
Old April 20th, 2013, 09:59 AM
Sir Mister
Unhatched Egg

Hmm, I've decided Aromatherapy is a "must have" for me personally (I hate status ailments, and no one else on my team can use it or heal bell). I don't want to abandon her self healing (or leave her with only petal dance as an attack), so Giga Drain stays, and we agree Sleep Powder is super useful. That leaves me with the decision- Petal Dance or Quiver Dance. You say Quiver Dance is a must have, and using it makes her more controlled, as well as more powerful at self healing, but Petal Dance is more powerful than Giga Drain (even after 1 Quiver Dance), so my options would be as follows:
Put the enemy to sleep, use Quiver Dance twice to buff, then burn them down with a 150 base attack Giga Drain while they're awake, or
Put the enemy to sleep, then Petal Dance while they're asleep, then Giga Drain while awake. Over 5 turns the advantage still lies with Petal Dance, and I really don't want to go single attack, so I'm thinking I'll be doing the following:
Sleep Powder
Aromatherapy
Petal Dance
Giga Drain

I know I'm limiting her offensive power by having Aromatherapy in there in place of Quiver Dance, but I'm willing to accept that, especially considering her overall purpose on my team. Do you think the loss of the stat buff will be crippling? I'm thinking of posting my whole team and moveset choices in here so people can help me analyze them more holistically, in fact, I think I'll do exactly that. Thanks for the helpful reply, though!

Old April 20th, 2013, 09:47 PM
Ninjaskx
Unhatched Egg

Ima go for my 2nd run on the elite four in PokemonSapphire and is this an okay team,by the way im not naming stats though:

Swampert LvL:60

Kyogere: LvL:50

Hariyama,Golbat, and Loudred: LvL 40

Gyarados: LvL: 31

(I Know Gyarados is underleveled,he has an EXP.Share!
Old April 20th, 2013, 10:22 PM
lmcde22

There's some good combination's here. You should think about evolving your Golbat, because I've always found Crobat to be one of the all-time greatest flying type Pokemon.

The first battle against Sidney should be a breeze if you level up your Hariyama to lv. 50 or so.

Without a Dark or Ghost type you might have to wing it for the battle with Phoebe. Although your Gyrados can learn Crunch which will help (only if you level it up!!!)

Same goes for Glacia, no type advantage.

If your Kyogre or Swampert knows Ice Beam or Blizzard you shouldn't have much trouble with Drake.

And a Swampert/Kyorge combination is more than enough to shred the Champion.

Hope this helps

Old April 21st, 2013, 01:32 AM
Satoshi Ookami
Memento Mori
Community Supporter

It's really a bad idea.
Quiver Dance > Aromatherapy in every aspect.
Aromatherapy is just a waste of turn. If you really don't want status aliments, go for Lum Berry.

Old April 21st, 2013, 03:58 AM
Treetwig
Banned for being awesome

Nature: Jolly
Nice team dude here I can give you some tips for battling the Elite 4:

1.Don't forget to pack up revives,Hyper potion,Full heal
2.Teach your swampert some devastating moves such as Earthquake,Blizzard,Brick break, Toxic
3.Gyarados can learn bite which you can use to crash out phoebe's ghost type pokemons

Note:Beware of phoebe's sableye!

Hope this helps :D

Quick Reply

Sponsored Links