The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Gaming > Fifth Generation

Notices

Fifth Generation Are Pokémon slaves to humans? Team Plasma thinks so. Travel the Unova region and prove them wrong in Black & White, and then return two years later in Black2 & White2.

View Poll Results: Hardest Gym Leader in B/W?
Cilan/Chili/Cress 5 6.58%
Lenora 29 38.16%
Burgh 6 7.89%
Elesa 17 22.37%
Clay 10 13.16%
Skyla 5 6.58%
Brycen 2 2.63%
Drayden/Iris 17 22.37%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old September 1st, 2012, 09:07 AM
Superjub
Pokémon Aureolin
Community Supporter

Nature: Timid
Clay gave me a lot of trouble for some reason. Then again, I'm fairly sure at that point I had a lot of Pokemon that were weak to him- I remember having an Emboar, Exadrill (might have been a Drillbur) and Zebstrika at that point, for instance. I did also have a Whimsicott or Cottonee too though, haha. XD I think Clay might have been the only gym leader that I lost against on my first time. :s

Pokémon Aureolin

Old September 1st, 2012, 09:46 AM
kenshin-
Beginning Trainer

Your pokemon weren't strong enough ?

With the Whimsicott (Cottonee) for his water/ground pokemon
Emboar (fight type) for the dark/ground
Emboar (fire type) for his Excadrill

It's true that clay could be a surprise as gym leader.

In the fact, when I come in a gym's town I go to the gym to talk with the guide (he gives me some good advices ).
Old September 1st, 2012, 12:40 PM
CycloneGU
Eye of the Storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenshin- View Post
In the fact, when I come in a gym's town I go to the gym to talk with the guide (he gives me some good advices ).
At times, the advice can be questionable at best. For instance, if you go to Goldenrod City in the course of SoulSilver, you find advice to get a Fighting type to combat the Normal Pokémon.

...the catch is that the first Fighting type isn't found until you get to Mt. Mortar east of Ecruteak City. To get there, it's necessary to take out the Sudowoodo from the three-way fork. To do that, you need the Squirt Bottle. To get that, you must beat the Goldenrod Gym.

Au contraire. I ended up taking my Geodude to go to town on Whitney.

Cyclone

Cyclone. FC: 5327-1949-9511. Safari: Lampent, Pumpkaboo, and Golurk (Ghost). Champion of the GC11 Pokémon Challenge!
Breeder extraordinaire. Horrible battler. I take requests! Looking ahead to SSB3D for even more fun!

Pokémon Black National Pokédex completed on December 13, 2012. My Lv.7 UT Shiny Nincada (Hoenn) is now in Kalos for trade offers.

Old September 2nd, 2012, 06:25 AM
Cassino
A TPC classic.

Lenora because holy crap superpowered second gym I haven't seen this since Misty's Starmie.
I even had a (traded) Mienfoo to deal with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CycloneGU View Post
At times, the advice can be questionable at best. For instance, if you go to Goldenrod City in the course of SoulSilver, you find advice to get a Fighting type to combat the Normal Pokémon.

...the catch is that the first Fighting type isn't found until you get to Mt. Mortar east of Ecruteak City. To get there, it's necessary to take out the Sudowoodo from the three-way fork. To do that, you need the Squirt Bottle. To get that, you must beat the Goldenrod Gym.

Au contraire. I ended up taking my Geodude to go to town on Whitney.

Cyclone
You can trade Drowzee (from Routes 34 & 35) for a Machop in Goldenrod.

Last edited by Cassino; September 2nd, 2012 at 06:35 AM.
Old September 2nd, 2012, 06:32 AM
FrostPheonix
Eternity.

Nature: Quiet
first one because of type disadvantage really; lenora wasn't too bad, except it took a heck of a long time. other than that, the gyms were disappointingly easy. No real grinding had been needed.
Old September 2nd, 2012, 09:17 AM
Arago
Community Supporter

Nature: Lax
I felt obliged to pick two, so I picked Lenora because of retaliate and Elesa because of type disadvantages.
Old September 2nd, 2012, 12:52 PM
Superjub
Pokémon Aureolin
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenshin- View Post
Your pokemon weren't strong enough ?

With the Whimsicott (Cottonee) for his water/ground pokemon
Emboar (fight type) for the dark/ground
Emboar (fire type) for his Excadrill

It's true that clay could be a surprise as gym leader.

Haha, I don't know why is struggled so much. XD It probably was due to my Pokemon being under-leveled at that point, but I can't remember. I do know that I beat him with relative ease on my second attempt though.

Pokémon Aureolin

Old September 3rd, 2012, 04:13 PM
Atomic Pirate
I always win.

Nature: Impish
I didn't really have too much trouble with any of the leaders, but on my most recent playthrough, Clay gave my team hell. His Excadrill was insane, as I didn't have anything good to counter it with.

PM me if you add me.

My Friend Safari is Water-type, with Gyarados, Azumarill, and Octillery.
Old September 7th, 2012, 03:09 AM
Aryan143
The Fennekin Fan!

Nature: Modest
Anybody would say that Lenora is hardest.
Her Watchdog was very annoying

Please click both of these links once in a day and help us grow:

Old September 8th, 2012, 07:04 AM
Mentalii
Back

Nature: Gentle
Drayden/Iris, if I correctly remember. The others were pretty easy.

Old September 8th, 2012, 07:06 AM
AzaleaLightning
Bouncer, hey bouncer ♪

Nature: Sassy
I voted for Drayden/Iris before I remembered Lenora and her freaking Watchog orz

The trio was hard too, but they were manageable if you got the monkey in the Dreamyard.

Tumblr | MyAnimeList
Ooh, let me in right now
or I'll get physical with you

Old September 9th, 2012, 02:57 PM
Shiny Celebi
Donator Tier 3
Community Supporter Tier 3

Lenora definately. I hear a lot of people say Elesa is difficult and they get frustrated by her Emolgas' Volt Switching, but I found having a Gigalith stops that. Lenora's Watchog was definately the biggest challenge I faced in B/W.
Old September 9th, 2012, 05:55 PM
crimsonskarmory
Alchemist

Nature: Modest
They were all pretty easy but for some reason I had the hardest time with clay.
Old September 9th, 2012, 08:40 PM
Medlis
Unhatched Egg

Send a message via AIM to Medlis Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Medlis Send a message via Skype™ to Medlis
I actually found Burgh to be the hardest, because I couldn't keep my Pokemon from being poisoned. Bug Pokemon really got a boost in this game and it really took me by surprise.
Old September 11th, 2012, 11:35 AM
NuOmicronMu
Unhatched Egg

On my first playthrough, Burgh was the only gym leader to take more than two or three tries. Not only because I didn't want to raise a Darumaka due to its annoying hustle ability (although I raised one this time and found Darmanitan to be worth it), but all of my Pokemon were weak to his Leavanny's moves too.

I was at least 3 levels over-levelled for every gym after that, since I fought every single trainer I could find. After Clay, there was no challenge at all until the elite four.
Old September 17th, 2012, 05:28 PM
Pokemon_Geek
Togepi

I just got Black a couple of days ago(finally. Money has been really tight the past year and a half) and I'm in Nimbasa City right now training to fight Elesa(who my little cousin says is hard). For now, I have to say Lenora who forced me to train a Sawk just so I could finally move on. I'm not surprised really; the normal gyms have always been one of the hardest to ones(I guess to compensate for normal's lack of an elemental/specialized power).

Real gamers play for fun.
Old September 20th, 2012, 07:57 AM
Major Ziggs
This'll be a blast!
Community Supporter

Nature: Quirky
Elesa's Emolga were irritating with their fast and strong attacks and annoying good typing for resistances, but the hardest in my opinion was the Striaton trio. I don't like the monkey Pokémon so I don't train them, therefore I'm stuck using only my starter against their Pokémon which isn't the easiest match up xD Usually I have to resort to using the monkey I was given to help out, but even so I still think they're the hardest for the point in the game that they're at.
Old September 21st, 2012, 04:52 AM
vlay
Picnicker

I think Lenora, her Watchog have Hypnosis make my pokemon sleep, it make me frustated @-@. And her Herdier have Retealite is powerful when her Watchog is dead.
Old September 23rd, 2012, 12:33 PM
XtinaIsMeLuvinWWE

Nature: Quirky
I think I actually struggled the most with Chili and Burgh.
Old October 6th, 2012, 10:10 AM
Krazzikk

Nature: Relaxed
I just beat Elesa on my new save file a little while ago, and it got me thinking about how OP Elesa's gym is, and I really got goin' on this cuz I forgot to save and I have to do the gym over again =_=

First of all, Elesa has like...3 Emolgas now? And she just volt switches in and out the whole battle, and you can't do anything about it because the only Ground type available when you battle Elesa is Sandile, and because Emolga is a flying type so ground moves don't do anything! It seems to me that GameFreak just flicked everyone off by making a gym leader with 3 emolgas that can't be countered.
I mean, even if Emolga wasn't a flying type, Sandile doesn't get Earthquake, or any other useful ground type move until lvl 40 or so, just the stinky Mud Slap, and Sand Tomb, etc. crap.

I mean, maybe I'm just missing something, or I just suck, and Elesa isn't as hard as I think.

Usually Pokemon Games are way too easy, the reason b/w2 has challenge mode now, so I guess I shouldn't be complaining, but I think Elesa is TOO hard.

I know I'm not the only one who hates Elesa(Sorry Elesa being sexy doesn't mean people will like you) cuz I've watched Let's Plays of people raging at Elesa for her OP volt swith Emolgas.

What are your thoughts

Last edited by Krazzikk; October 6th, 2012 at 10:19 AM.
Old October 6th, 2012, 10:12 PM
Forever
let it go

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazzikk View Post
I just beat Elesa on my new save file a little while ago, and it got me thinking about how OP Elesa's gym is, and I really got goin' on this cuz I forgot to save and I have to do the gym over again =_=

First of all, Elesa has like...3 Emolgas now? And she just volt switches in and out the whole battle, and you can't do anything about it because the only Ground type available when you battle Elesa is Sandile, and because Emolga is a flying type so ground moves don't do anything! It seems to me that GameFreak just flicked everyone off by making a gym leader with 3 emolgas that can't be countered.
I mean, even if Emolga wasn't a flying type, Sandile doesn't get Earthquake, or any other useful ground type move until lvl 40 or so, just the stinky Mud Slap, and Sand Tomb, etc. crap.

I mean, maybe I'm just missing something, or I just suck, and Elesa isn't as hard as I think.

Usually Pokemon Games are way too easy, the reason b/w2 has challenge mode now, so I guess I shouldn't be complaining, but I think Elesa is TOO hard.

I know I'm not the only one who hates Elesa(Sorry Elesa being sexy doesn't mean people will like you) cuz I've watched Let's Plays of people raging at Elesa for her OP volt swith Emolgas.

What are your thoughts
Hey Krazz sorry but if this thread hadn't have existed I'd have left this on its own, but people have brought up Emolga here, and generally people should get into discussions within threads like this rather than just post once and disappear, and your post can lead to discussion. n_n;
Old October 7th, 2012, 02:04 AM
.TheDon.

I beat Lenora using his own tactic using an Attract-Audino. I shoul say the last gym may have been the hardest, just because i got no ice/dragon moves within my movesets.
Old October 7th, 2012, 04:23 AM
Krazzikk

Nature: Relaxed
@Nica; Err, I don't remember posting here...I thought that was a new thread O_o, also I don't understand what you're saying
Old October 10th, 2012, 01:57 PM
The Sly Fox
Community Supporter

Elesa ._. I hate her. And electric types. I mean, volt switch is a pain.

Old October 13th, 2012, 08:33 PM
Aques Keus
Swaggins
Community Supporter

Nature: Brave
Lol I blasted through all the gyms with a Stoutland (Dig, Return, Work Up, and Crunch, had take down until I got the return TM) literally ditched my starter (oshwott) for it (Xp share on a trapinch/vibrava). Even the second gym was pretty easy, the only hard gym for me was Elesa. Mostly because all I had for her was dig and that wasn't helpful on two of her Pokemon. Oh and paralyze sucks, hate it and static. Return is a pretty Bakker move, It one shots pretty much anything and Stoutland doesn't have many weaknesses, paired with a good defense.

I did however have a Pokemon with rock tomb taught from a TM I had received before getting to that gym, so after I grinded him up, (along with torkcoal for some extra defense) It was a breeze.

Frio & Elise || Jayce & Jayce 2

Last edited by Aques Keus; October 13th, 2012 at 08:39 PM.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links