Community

The PokéCommunity

We are still working on a better slogan!

Visit Index

Advertise here

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Off-Topic Discussions > General Chat
Notices

General Chat Reporting for duty!

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old August 28th, 2012, 04:49 PM
shenanigans
in rainbows

Advertise here
Do you find it hard to detect sarcasm, humour, or a general lack of seriousness when someone is talking to you? Comment on this in terms of both online and offline interaction.
oh, the glory that the lord has made
and the complications when i see his face.
Old August 28th, 2012, 04:57 PM
KyokuseiXRyusei
DenCabe! :3

Nature: Sassy
This is definitely me! I've been brought up to be serious, so jokes seem to just fly right over my head. It's just extremely difficult for me to sense it, especially online. Don't forget to use emoticons so I get it. XD
Old August 28th, 2012, 05:19 PM
outfox
in

Send a message via Skype™ to outfox
If I wasn't a staunch believer that life is a funny joke and everyone around me is 'jk' I'd probably be an alcoholic. I don't detect jokes, I assume they're all around me.
Old August 28th, 2012, 06:55 PM
Eucliffe
E N T E R T A I N E R
Community Supporter

Nature: Gentle
Send a message via AIM to Eucliffe Send a message via Skype™ to Eucliffe
Y-Yes. I tend to take jokes very seriously and, especially on the internet, find it hard to pick up on sarcasm and the like ><; I've been trying to become better at getting jokes and the like, but it's still pretty hard ^^;
SHOWTIME
cssgifsflavors.memain
Old August 28th, 2012, 07:44 PM
TRIFORCE89
Guide of Darkness

Nature: Quiet
Sarcasm is a bit tough to detect online sometimes if it isn't done well

In person, no problem
Old August 28th, 2012, 08:40 PM
Playful_Weasel
let's be friends!
Community Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to Playful_Weasel
Do you take stuff too literally? - personally 80% of the time I do, I always have trouble with certain jokes, or the way how some young people speak - the 'so called' rap style talk. Its on the reasons I don't have too many real life friends.
#1 Patrat & Watchog Fan Ever!! just love those PokeMeerkats!!
I also love the - PokeMustelids - PokeFelines - PokeFoxes too!
Current Challenges - sorry for no updates, been reorganizing my room
Random Challenge - Badges: 6/8 - game: X - Location: Route 15
Random Challenge - Badges: 2/8 - game: Y - Location: Geosenge Town
50/50 Challenge - Badges 4/8 - Game Y - Location: Lumiose City
Old August 28th, 2012, 08:57 PM
Patchisou Yutohru
Community Supporter

No. In fact, I often answer English tests for reading comprehension incorrectly because I read too much into things and think very metaphorically.
Old August 29th, 2012, 02:19 AM
diab_low
#SmashingTheMaroons

Hahaha no online and offline I never take anything seriously until I know the full extent of the situation. I rarely miss out on a humour point but most of the time I tend to pick it up
Old August 29th, 2012, 03:34 AM
Overlord Drakow
-CONQUERER

Nature: Serious
Yeah I take things at face value most of the time, so I can miss stuff like sarcasm and it's even worse online.
"Power through ambition." - Overlord Drakow
Forum Set // Pair
Old August 29th, 2012, 04:04 AM
Ice Car
Booted out - don't be like me!

Nature: Jolly

OT: I usually detect sarcasm easily. In fact I too often consider things sarcasm, or worry that maybe something someone said was sarcastic and that I misunderstood, way too often.
Old August 29th, 2012, 04:12 AM
Twilight Sky
» s t r a w b e r r y fields ♪

Send a message via AIM to Twilight Sky Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Twilight Sky Send a message via Skype™ to Twilight Sky
Eh. Kiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiinda, depending on what it is, but it's highly unlikely. XD If I know the person well enough, then I find the sarcasm and humour obvious as well.
Old August 29th, 2012, 02:51 PM
PlatinumDude
Nyeh?
Community Supporter

Nature: Hasty
Send a message via Yahoo to PlatinumDude Send a message via Skype™ to PlatinumDude
I kind of have this tendency to take jokes too literally and that kind of ruined it for some people.

Old August 29th, 2012, 07:51 PM
Sheep

Nature: Timid
I don't take anything literally whatsoever haha. I'm very mellow so nothing would bother me at all since I just.. don't feel a thing most of the time XD; This goes for both online and offline.

rockin' | family | my star | twin
club 1 club 2 club 3 LV
Old August 29th, 2012, 08:19 PM
Sydian
But you're still hungry.

Nature: Timid
I can usually detect sarcasm well...I use it a lot haha. Seriousness though, not really. I can never tell when people are being legitimately serious, on and offline. Humor I can get sometimes, if I know the terms. Sometimes I laugh and pretend I get it though, tbh lol. Sometimes I misinterpret things though and think they're funny even though they aren't meant to be.

As for taking things literally, I sort of do, but sorta don't? I think in pictures so when I hear something or read something like "his head is in the clouds" I actually see some guy just hanging out with clouds around his head lmao. Then I have to kind of remind myself "that's not what they meant" but sometimes I don't realize those things and think that it's serious. idk if that made sense and y'all probably think I'm dumb lmao. Like if you walked up and said "these *****es was rainin down" I'll think of hookers falling from the sky and laugh.........

paired to crono
Old August 29th, 2012, 09:23 PM
awolfsquared
Prattoween
Community Supporter

Nature: Modest
Send a message via Skype™ to awolfsquared
I've been told I take jokes too seriously all the time. Especially on the internet where it's hard to detect sarcasm.

Andy and April's Halloween party: "Someone will die" "...of fun!" "And of murder..."
DeviantArt | Tumblr | Art Gallery | Ask Me Stuff | Paired to

Old August 30th, 2012, 12:13 AM
Talli
Prince of the Ninja tribe

Nature: Naughty
Sometimes I can detect the saracism in people's voices but not always.
Old August 30th, 2012, 11:48 AM
Shiny Celebi
Donator Tier 3
Community Supporter Tier 3

It depends. A lot of times sarcasm is obvious, but if they say it in such a way that I cant tell I will sometimes take things too literally. Its a bit embarrasing for me when this happens.
BMGf Ever Grande City
Old August 31st, 2012, 08:57 PM
이큐리
#nofilter
Community Supporter

Nature: Impish
People have told me that I "take things to the head" very easily. Sarcasm does not go over well with me some times.
Old September 2nd, 2012, 04:42 AM
Sodom
with a capital Y.

Nature: Adamant
I'm amazing at picking up sarcasm so it's rare that I'll take anything too literally. But there are some people where it's really hard to read their sarcasm because they way they talk just does not change whatsoever. Hiroshi Sotomura from this forum is a good example of this!

"So this is why God bombed us."

Moderator of General Chat

Old September 2nd, 2012, 04:50 AM
Inferna
hello stranger, i'm a disaster

I'm usually pretty good at picking up sarcasm and humour offline and online. I've got a pretty dry and sarcastic sense of humour anyways.
If I'm in a bad mood though I take stuff too seriously irl.
|
Old September 3rd, 2012, 09:19 AM
Starsprite
This is how we live!

Send a message via Skype™ to Starsprite
Usually, I can detect a joke from a mile away. I overuse sarcasm, for one thing, which is bound to help me recognize it. Sometimes I do have trouble getting sarcasm from reading if it's not written a certain way, but then I also often over-analyze my reading and don't take it too literally so...
Old September 4th, 2012, 10:57 PM
Elite Overlord LeSabre™
Classic Elegance
Community Supporter

Nature: Quirky
I can from time to time, not only on the internet but at home since with my parents' way of talking it's hard to tell if there's a hint of sarcasm or mocking in their voice or not.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™
PC Vital Stats
* Pair
* PC Family
* Bishies
* VG Claims
* Friend Codes
Links
* Blog
* Web Site
* Fan Fictions:
* Leaf Green LP
Friend Safari:
*GMC Safari
*Pontiac Safari
*Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser
Old September 8th, 2012, 06:13 AM
Seivad
The Equalist

I am poor at both indicating sarcasm and using it online, in real life i can use it and detect it with much ease.

Good evening, my fellow Trainers. This is your leader, Amon. As you've heard, the Elite Four has voted to make me public enemy number one, proving once again that the Gym Leaders of this region will stop at nothing to quash our revolution. But we cannot be stopped. Our numbers grow stronger by the day. You no longer have to live in fear.

The time has come for Gym Leaders to experience fear.
Old September 12th, 2012, 03:08 PM
Ephemeral Euphoria
Devil In Exile

I do my best to take most things if not absolutely everything as non-literal as I can, keeps most conversations from boiling down to arguments or god forbid flame wars both online and irl.

Gotta love the high life.
Old September 16th, 2012, 04:56 PM
Broken_Arrow
Paper plane~

Nature: Careful
Send a message via Skype™ to Broken_Arrow
tbh there are things i don't like when someone jokes around about it...something like religion for example....sometimes i misunderstand people online cuz i'm not native but no i don't take everything literally..some things yeah but most things nope.

irl..i don't bother a lot i like to mess around and enjoy my time but when someone really close to me and did something he\she knows i hate it then i feel offended and take it literally!
A Caterpie may change into a Butterfree, but the heart that beats inside remains the same.
Brock – Pokemon

Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here