The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Entertainment & Hobbies > Culture & Media

Notices

Culture & Media This is where all of pop culture culminates and chats over a cup of joe. Here you can find discussions relating to the latest and greatest television shows, movies, music and literature, and much more!

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old October 12th, 2012, 09:35 PM
Mariah Carey
what a feeling
Community Supporter Tier 4

Nature: Sassy
I was bored and I had a newspaper to read while I was flying from Sydney to NZ, so I opened it up and I saw an article about product placement in media today. After reading a rather lengthy rant by a disgruntled James Bond fan about Heineken becoming James Bond's official drink or something like that (I'm jetlagged - forgive me), I got thinking - does product placement bother you? Is it something that you can just brush off, figuring it as just a fact of the modern world, or does it annoy you to your very core? Does the very sight of a Coke bottle in a television show make the bile in your stomach rise to your throat? Please, do share.
Old October 12th, 2012, 09:57 PM
LividZephyr
Oxymoron, not a moron, thanks

Send a message via AIM to LividZephyr Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to LividZephyr
Heineken? REALLY? Okay, that REALLY bothers me. JAMES BOND NEEDS HIS VODKA MARTINIS! THIS IS THE LAST STRAW! You don't destroy a tradition just for lame product placement, EVER - if you want product placement, do it with the freaking VODKA. I'm sure Cubby Broccoli is rolling in his grave right now knowing what his heirs are doing... RIP.

Product placement typically, however, does NOT bother me, unless 1) it destroys a tradition or mainstay that is necessary for series continuation (see rage above), 2) it's done to a point of extreme annoyance, or 3) it's extremely out of place and obviously so. Subtle product placements that make sense are fine, like beverage cups or specific brands of computers or labels being shown, but if it's not subtle, it's bad. If it destroys a tradition like vodka martinis, it's bad. If it's extremely annoying, then it's bad.

Yes, I believe you have now seen my livid side :-X
Old October 13th, 2012, 09:08 AM
Esper

In a nutshell: it's bad if I notice it. That takes me out of the movie and I want to be engrossed in a movie.

I can enjoy it if it's badly done. Like a game of count-how-times-product-placement-comes-up. Still would rather it wasn't there because it's probably unnecessary to the movie.

deviantart blog pair
Old October 13th, 2012, 07:58 PM
TRIFORCE89
Guide of Darkness

Nature: Quiet
If it is noticeable, spoken, a part of the plot.... yeah bad.

If someone is drinking a Coke, well people drink Coke in the real world, so no biggie
Old October 13th, 2012, 08:40 PM
Jamais
«c'est presque temps»

Nature: Quiet
I was actually just talking with my sister about this the other day. She paused a recording of some show that she watches, and it was a scene where it was a hockey player sitting alone in the dressing room. The first thing that caught my eye was how many Gatorade logos were on the screen (including cups, bottles, a poster and a towel, I counted it 11 times). Other things like hockey sticks, gloves and even the uniforms themselves had their company logos covered up, some fairly poorly.

Honestly, it doesn't bother me when there's product placement in a movie/TV show, but when you begin to notice instances like that, it goes a bit overboard.

Old October 14th, 2012, 11:28 AM
GolurkIsDaBomb
Strawberry Sunrise, no ice.

Nature: Lonely
It annoys me when it's blatantly obvious, like if a character says something like, "Oh yeah I just really love my new Nike(TM) shoes!"

No. Just...no.

On the contrary, I do like when real world products are included into TV shows whether it's product placement or not. It makes the show feel much more real, especially if it's supposed to be like
a show that's supposed to exist in our universe as we know it, or a fake documentary. (Like the Office. I prefer that Michael and crew go to Hooters, not a made up rip-off called Scooters or something)
Old October 23rd, 2012, 04:02 PM
Team Fail
Let It Burn

Nature: Brave
For me, any product placement is incredibly obvious. The other day, I was watching The Voice, and for half of a scene, they showed nothing but the vehicle the two contestants were coming in for a battle round. And the cups in the Judges' chairs are blatantly labeled "Coca Cola". They try to make it subtle, but for me, they practically scream "I AM HERE."

It more or less annoys me because I can spot it rather easily.

Platinum Supporter Team Fail

"It is said that Charizard's fire burns hotter if it has experienced harsh battles."

Charizard

Old October 23rd, 2012, 05:45 PM
Ice Car
Booted out - don't be like me!

Nature: Jolly
I don't see how product placement would bother me unless it's shoved in my face 24/7 and it becomes impossible to ignore.
Old October 24th, 2012, 11:07 AM
Pära
Community Supporter Tier 5

Nature: Serious
Product placement can make a tv show feel more realistic with recognisable names, although it can be mis-used, especially if the product become a plot point/device.
Old October 24th, 2012, 01:53 PM
Nintendork15
I'm gone. Bye.

Nature: Naughty
I've been watching ''Ghost Adventures'' in LivingTV on Sky.
They use an iPod as a method to catch ghosts, but they had to rid of the apple logo and refer to it as a 'MP player'.

Not sure if that would count. Or is that name placement.

The only others I've seen is
Cola = Coca Cola
Pear Software = Apple Company
MiniHard = Microsoft.

Forgotten where these are from though.
Old November 5th, 2012, 02:41 PM
Mr Cat Dog
Everything Will Be OK

Nature: Relaxed
Product placement in British TV only became legal last year, and whenever a company has received money to advertise a product within a show, a little 'P' icon needs to be shown whenever the show comes back after a commercial break. Sometimes my friends and I will spot the P and try to guess which products paid to be advertised in that particular show. (One time it was a hotel on The X Factor, which was kind of amusing!) But, as most other people have said, so long as it's not ostentatious, then I have very few issues with it. Advertising revenue is going down the toilet, so if this is a way for TV production companies to make money, then more power to them... so long as it isn't in your face.

Oh, and the Heineken-James Bond thing. Heineken paid for a third of the film's budget for, essentially, a 10-second advertisement. If I were Barbara Broccoli, I sure as hell would not turn that down. Martinis be damned!
Old November 5th, 2012, 02:48 PM
SamuJake
I beat Red when I was 8' bro.

Nature: Modest
Doesn't bother me to much, no. Actually when it's really obvious I can't help but find it kind of funny ... but that can kind of wreck the mood if it's a serious action movie or what not.
Old November 5th, 2012, 02:53 PM
Toujours
Howling Poros

Nature: Sassy
I find it more funny when they have knockoff names. One anime I was watching was huge on this, they drank Popsi and went to Shall gas stations and etc etc. I thought it was the funniest thing.

I can't think of a single time I was bothered by product placement though so I guess it doesn't mean much to me.
Old November 5th, 2012, 03:31 PM
Nintendork15
I'm gone. Bye.

Nature: Naughty
To be honest, I've noticed alot of shows actually going out of their way to pay to use products in their programs.
Like CSI, one of the new series, they've got alot of real life products in their compared to any previous series, even websites too, usually they'd used fake ripoffs of MySpace, FaceBook and YouTube, but now they've got it all in their.
Me being me, I'm thinking how much they had to pay to share copyright laws.
Old November 5th, 2012, 08:55 PM
Blaze42
The Spirit of Chaos

It doesn't bother me if it's subtle- for example, seeing a Coke truck in the background, or Gatorade sign in a stadium. I actually kinda like that; it makes things feel a bit more real.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links