The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Game Development > Progressing Games

Notices

Progressing Games All game threads go in this forum. Come and check out the games in development, or make a thread for your own. Constructive criticism is welcome!
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Old September 7th, 2012, 07:06 PM
yaywalter
Unhatched Egg

Pokemon Purple is, in a nutshell, a complete re-imagining of Pokemon Red and Blue version, featuring crossover from the Neon Genesis Evangelion universe.

It will feature all 151 original Generation 1 Pokemon, as well as any evolutionary forms of the original 151 that were introduced in Generation 2. It will also have some entirely new Pokemon based on the Angels from Neon Genesis Evangelion.

The game will take place in a heavily modified version of the Kanto region, and will also have gameplay mechanics that have been significantly reworked. The basic overall goals of the game is the same though: Catch Pokemon, beat the Gym Leaders and defeat the Elite Four.

Speaking of Gym Leaders, here they are:

Ryoji Kaji

Asuka Langley Soryu

Lieutenant Shigeru Aoba

Mari Makinami

Toji Suzuhara

Rei Ayanami

Gendo Ikari

Kozo Fuyutsuki

And here's the Elite Four:

Naoko Akagi

Keel Lorenz

Pen Pen

Misato Katsuragi

And last but not least, the rival, Kaworu Nagisa:

Screenshots:

The screenshots above are not necessarily representative of what the final project will look like. Some things might end up looking very different by the time the game is complete. For instance, I've decided I'll be switching to a "widescreen" 300x180 resolution instead of the standard GBA resolution. I'm aiming for a December 4 release, but that might be a bit ambitious, so don't be surprised if setbacks end up pushing the date back to sometime in 2013. And being that I'm an adult with a full-time military obligation, and with some particularly hectic stuff going on in and around December for me, it'll probably be released mid/late 2013 if it does end up getting pushed back past Dec. 4.

Here's a mockup of what the battle screen will generally look like:

This project is being developed by me, myself and I. But here's the credits for the people/sites whose sprite/tileset rips I've benefitted from:

Bob799
A.J. Nitro
Sapphire_Dragon
Ryo
Axmarrone
Sam Webster
i2needspeed
fabnt
Kaori
Pokemon Elite 2000

And the person responsible the awesome Evangelion Unit 01 image featured on the splash screen:
Nanahra

Last edited by yaywalter; September 14th, 2012 at 03:45 PM.
Old September 25th, 2012, 12:56 PM
yaywalter
Unhatched Egg

I've decided that I'm going to use an isometric perspective for this game.

For a taste, here's one of the sprites:
Old October 4th, 2012, 02:56 PM
Anglican
Some Game Developer

Nature: Calm
Looking good! Quite like the Pokédex and battle scenes!
Old October 5th, 2012, 10:50 AM
DaSpirit
Mad Programmer

Nature: Quiet
Interesting I suppose. Always good to see GameMaker games here. How is the battling going to work with the sync bar?
Old October 9th, 2012, 05:53 PM
yaywalter
Unhatched Egg

Thanks for showing some interest, guys.

The Sync Bar replaces the PP system and, in the most basic sense, works somewhat like the ATB meter of some Final Fantasy games.

Unlike the FF ATB system though, you don't have to wait for the meter to completely fill to be able to do anything. You can execute an action at any time you feel like, so long as you have the amount of sync required to perform the specific action you wish to perform. And different actions will have different sync costs, naturally.

Also unlike the FF ATB system, the sync ratio is persistent outside of battle and continues to increase as you walk around (albeit more slowly than in battle). But there will be certain potentially severe risks associated with letting the sync ratio get too high or too low, so you need to keep it in check.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links