The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Art & Design

Notices

Art & Design For digital, traditional, design, photography and mixed media art, Pokémon-related or not. Showcase or discuss anything related to the visual arts here.

Old September 10th, 2012, 12:45 AM
Charlie Brown
twisted logic
Community Supporter

Nature: Jolly
'til kingdom come

introduction.

Hi. I'm Charlie Brown. Honestly I've never actually made a gallery so I'm a bit nervous, but here we go. I've been making graphics using Gimp for about a year and a half, although in all honesty I don't make anything very often due to me just being busy. Nonetheless, I've made a few pieces that I quite like (although they pale in comparison to many of the more experienced artists here, of which there are many) so enjoy, I guess.

banners.

Demi:
Spoiler:

Just a basic photo manipulation. It's really sharpened, probably oversharpened, but yeah. This is one of my earlier banners. I can't find the exact source, though it is similar to this.

Drifblim:
Spoiler:

Once again, one of my early banners.

Jar of Hearts:
Spoiler:

Another early piece. Just a simple photo manip with some extra smudging and stuff.

Suicune:
Spoiler:

I hosted a graphics contest on another forum and this was the prize I made for the winner.

Quite This Loud:
Spoiler:

The reason the text is white is because I used this on Serebii where 99% of people used either the black skin or the default green skin last year.

Retro Dance Freak:
Spoiler:

I'm not sure about it. I found it to be messy but many people said it was one of my better banners :s

Jessie J:
Spoiler:

Original stock: [link]

Toy Story:
Spoiler:

I wasn't that happy with it, especially with the brown colour over Buzz's face, but I think the text works decently, which is something I often struggle with.

Will:
Spoiler:

Kingdra:
Spoiler:

I made a six-part banner series to advertise a forum earlier in the year. The other five are at the top of this post.

Punchline:
Spoiler:

Probably my favourite of all the banners I've made, tbh. I made this about a year ago; the stock is a screencap from a Lady Gaga video. I think the smudging works pretty well.

icons.

Katy:
Spoiler:

Probably the first icon I made, tbh.

Superman:
Spoiler:

Taylor:
Spoiler:

This was probably a bit too bright.

Thanks for reading/viewing, guys. I'd appreciate feedback! (: Also, I do have a collection of photographs I've taken, so perhaps next weekend I'll upload some of them and add them to this post.

Old September 10th, 2012, 11:09 PM
Loki
its easy being with you
Community Supporter

Nature: Calm
Send a message via Skype™ to Loki
I haven't made graphics in quite awhile, so I apologize if something I say seems outdated. But moving on, what you have looks great! But there's a couple of things that really stand out to be problem spots in the entire array:

1. Is it... just me? A lot of your banners have very LQ stocks involved-- I'd recommend finding better quality stocks to use-- it really does make a huge difference in the end.
2. Your text... sticks out a bit..... I'd recommend making an effort to try to integrate your text more with the rest of the tag, so that there's a sort of unity amongst all the features. The text standing out problem is particularly evident for me in your "Is Your Punchline Just a Joke" piece, in which it feels very out of place in terms of font, placement, and effects relative to the rest of the work.

I quite like your icons though-- and while the Taylor Swift icon is a tad bright, it's very beautiful. ^v^

Can't wait to see more, keep at it Charlie!

(Also, I very much like your thread title!)
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links