The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > Tools, Tutorials & Resources

Notices

Tools, Tutorials & Resources Various tools to help you develop your hacks can be found here.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Advertise here

Old October 27th, 2012, 07:45 PM
thanethane98
Self Proclaimed Expert

Nature: Relaxed

Advertise here
Great, I'm glad to see that the event editor is fixed! I'm still working on a Firered ROM hack right now, but I'll be taking a look at this for future hacks.

Once again Spiky, this is an awesome tool, and the updates are making it even better!
Old October 28th, 2012, 01:25 PM
Platinum Lucario
The Legendary Master of Light!
Community Supporter

Nature: Calm
Yay! A brand new version of SDSME has emerged! Now it has it's very own map viewer based on MKDS Course Modifier. It makes me wonder if next version will have support for the beta textures in D/P/Pt, 'cause those textures caused NSBMD.exe to crash whenever NSBMD.exe loaded them onto the map.

Edit: I just found a bug in the editor. Whenever you save the header data, it messes all the other values up with other numbers and is uneven.

Simply open up Diamond/Pearl/Platinum, change any value such as the weather, click save and then your ROM will no longer be able to play, due to invalid header values.

I think I know what the problem might be, I think it has something to do with not adding the zeros to the decimal numbers like "1" instead of being "01", or it might be because it fails to put in the values. But I'm not sure, I'll check and see if this occurs in earlier versions of SDSME.

sure does feel like a brand new adventure!

I'm really looking forward to learning how to understand what the hex values mean and how to create programs using Microsoft Visual Studio!

Always focus on the present, best thing to do! Never look back into the past and never worry about anything bad of the future!

Last edited by Platinum Lucario; October 30th, 2012 at 04:57 AM.
Old November 1st, 2012, 02:27 AM
Spiky-Eared Pichu
NDS Hacker/Researcher

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Spiky-Eared Pichu Send a message via Skype™ to Spiky-Eared Pichu
Quote:
Originally Posted by PokémonShinySilver View Post
I just found a bug in the editor. Whenever you save the header data, it messes all the other values up with other numbers and is uneven.

Simply open up Diamond/Pearl/Platinum, change any value such as the weather, click save and then your ROM will no longer be able to play, due to invalid header values.

I think I know what the problem might be, I think it has something to do with not adding the zeros to the decimal numbers like "1" instead of being "01", or it might be because it fails to put in the values. But I'm not sure, I'll check and see if this occurs in earlier versions of SDSME.
I have never experienced such a problem before. I'll take a look at it, because I have no idea about what could be causing it. But try redownloading the tool again, because the first downloads of version 1.2.0 had a small bug with saving that was fixed 15 minutes later

EDIT: I haven't been able to recreate the bug. Pokémon DPPt just save headers fine, and HGSS save as well. However, the only possible issue I see could be related to binary compression. Binary files are compressed in HGSS, and SDSME decompressed them, but then doesn't compress them again. This shouldn't be a problem for the game, because I've done it many times and it still works (the game doesn't care if it's compressed or not). You should note that the game will be A BIT SLOWER at startup, so if you're getting a blank screen when the game loads, just wait a bit.

Yesterday night I made the permissions editor faster with the addition of a "Paint" button similar to that in Advance Map. Now you can edit tiles with a simple click

Jump into DS hacking with SDSME!

Beta 2 available!!

Last edited by Spiky-Eared Pichu; November 1st, 2012 at 02:42 AM.
Old November 1st, 2012, 11:48 AM
Pike15
Smoochum

Nice spiky. So you should be able to have bw 2 tiles in dp??

You must edit it to meet the limits set by the rules before you may remove the [sig-reason] code from your signature. Removing this tag will re-enable it.

Do not remove the tag until you fix the issues in your signature. You may be infracted for removing this tag if you do not fix the specified issues. Do not use this tag for decoration purposes.
Old November 1st, 2012, 03:50 PM
thanethane98
Self Proclaimed Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pike15 View Post
Where'd you get that conclusion from?
Old November 1st, 2012, 05:18 PM
Team Fail
The fine line between in|sanity
Community Supporter

Nature: Brave
Quote:
He's referring to movenent permissions - you no longer need to click a tile and set it's value. You can now pick a value from a list, then drag around on the map to place them, just like Advance Map.

Pairs:
Kevin, Echidna
Follow me on Twitter! @TeamFail
Alt 1, リザードン
Miiverse
Pokémon Hackers Online
Alt 2: Jack Cayman

[04:20.39] <@GoGo> I WILL INSERT WITH PLEASURE
[04:20.45] <@GoGo> shut it Bela

[05:41.55] <Team_Fail> Blue Spider is interesting, but #MEHMasterRace
[05:42.20] <diegoisawesome> Team_Fail: Sounds like a bunch of unmotivated people that still want to try to take over the world
Old November 1st, 2012, 06:33 PM
thanethane98
Self Proclaimed Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Fail View Post
He's referring to movenent permissions - you no longer need to click a tile and set it's value. You can now pick a value from a list, then drag around on the map to place them, just like Advance Map.
Yeah, I know that.

It sounds like he's asking if you can use models from Black/White 2 in Diamond/Pearl ROMs though.
Old November 1st, 2012, 10:42 PM
Platinum Lucario
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiky-Eared Pichu View Post
I have never experienced such a problem before. I'll take a look at it, because I have no idea about what could be causing it. But try redownloading the tool again, because the first downloads of version 1.2.0 had a small bug with saving that was fixed 15 minutes later :P

EDIT: I haven't been able to recreate the bug. Pokémon DPPt just save headers fine, and HGSS save as well. However, the only possible issue I see could be related to binary compression. Binary files are compressed in HGSS, and SDSME decompressed them, but then doesn't compress them again. This shouldn't be a problem for the game, because I've done it many times and it still works (the game doesn't care if it's compressed or not). You should note that the game will be A BIT SLOWER at startup, so if you're getting a blank screen when the game loads, just wait a bit.

Yesterday night I made the permissions editor faster with the addition of a "Paint" button similar to that in Advance Map. Now you can edit tiles with a simple click :)
Ah, alright. I'll re-download it again and use the newer version to see if that could've been the issue.

Edit: Hm... odd, on Platinum it still has that problem. What I did was edit the weather header and then clicked "Save Header Data" then saved the ROM as header-test.nds

But when I tried editing the weather header in Diamond, then "Save Header Data" then saved the ROM as header-test.nds... it came up with this error:
Code:
See the end of this message for details on invoking 
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.IO.DirectoryNotFoundException: Could not find a part of the path 'I:\Emulation\ROM Hacking\Nintendo Systems\Handheld\Nintendo DS\Tools\SDSME120\Data\NDS\data\fielddata\land_data\land_data\'.
   at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)
   at System.IO.FileSystemEnumerableIterator`1.CommonInit()
   at System.IO.FileSystemEnumerableIterator`1..ctor(String path, String originalUserPath, String searchPattern, SearchOption searchOption, SearchResultHandler`1 resultHandler)
   at System.IO.Directory.GetFiles(String path, String searchPattern, SearchOption searchOption)
   at NarcAPI.Narc.FromFolder(String folderPath)
   at WindowsFormsApplication1.Form1.saveROMToolStripMenuItem_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mevent)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ButtonBase.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Button.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
    Assembly Version: 4.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.269 (RTMGDR.030319-2600)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v4.0.30319/mscorlib.dll
----------------------------------------
SDSME
    Assembly Version: 1.1.1.0
    Win32 Version: 1.1.1.0
    CodeBase: file:///I:/Emulation/ROM%20Hacking/Nintendo%20Systems/Handheld/Nintendo%20DS/Tools/SDSME120/SDSME.exe
System.Windows.Forms
    Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.278 built by: RTMGDR
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System.Drawing
    Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.282 built by: RTMGDR
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
System
    Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.269 built by: RTMGDR
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
Tao.Platform.Windows
    Assembly Version: 1.0.0.5
    Win32 Version: 1.0.0.5
    CodeBase: file:///I:/Emulation/ROM%20Hacking/Nintendo%20Systems/Handheld/Nintendo%20DS/Tools/SDSME120/Tao.Platform.Windows.DLL
System.Core
    Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.233 built by: RTMGDR
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Core/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Core.dll
Tao.OpenGl
    Assembly Version: 2.1.0.12
    Win32 Version: 2.1.0.12
    CodeBase: file:///I:/Emulation/ROM%20Hacking/Nintendo%20Systems/Handheld/Nintendo%20DS/Tools/SDSME120/Tao.OpenGl.DLL
PresentationCore
    Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.275 built by: RTMGDR
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_32/PresentationCore/v4.0_4.0.0.0__31bf3856ad364e35/PresentationCore.dll
WindowsBase
    Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.275 built by: RTMGDR
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/WindowsBase/v4.0_4.0.0.0__31bf3856ad364e35/WindowsBase.dll
Accessibility
    Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.1 built by: RTMRel
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Accessibility/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Accessibility.dll

************** JIT Debugging **************
To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
application or computer (machine.config) must have the
jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
The application must also be compiled with debugging
enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
    <system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
rather than be handled by this dialog box.
Quote:
Yep, as long as you import the BMD0 and BTX0 files from B2/W2 into D/P/Pt, then you'll be able to have those models in the game.

Remember, in D/P/Pt... the building model data is stored in "./fielddata/areadata/area_build_model/area_build.narc", and the textures for building models are in "./fielddata/areadata/area_build_model/areabm_texset.narc". And so I realized something, "build" is a short word for "building". However earlier I was thinking it was meaning build as in "programming build". xD

Edit: Just remember, the building data is stored in a similar way to the map models in land_data.narc, so it shouldn't be any problem finding them in other games such as B2/W2 in the same way, just open them up with Tinke and use it's hexadecimal function to see if there's any "BMD0" data in them. If there is, extract whichever binary file and open it up in a hex editor such as HxD and do the same highlighting and pasting the BMD0 data onto a new file and saving as .nsbmd in the same way as you extract the data manually in this tutorial.

I'm really looking forward to learning how to understand what the hex values mean and how to create programs using Microsoft Visual Studio!

Always focus on the present, best thing to do! Never look back into the past and never worry about anything bad of the future!

Last edited by Platinum Lucario; November 1st, 2012 at 11:12 PM.
Old November 2nd, 2012, 02:48 AM
Pike15
Smoochum

ok all this sound great. But i am really wondering when you gonna be able to actually edit the maps with only this tool.

You must edit it to meet the limits set by the rules before you may remove the [sig-reason] code from your signature. Removing this tag will re-enable it.

Do not remove the tag until you fix the issues in your signature. You may be infracted for removing this tag if you do not fix the specified issues. Do not use this tag for decoration purposes.
Old November 3rd, 2012, 09:22 AM
Spiky-Eared Pichu
NDS Hacker/Researcher

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Spiky-Eared Pichu Send a message via Skype™ to Spiky-Eared Pichu
New version! The paint button is now available and major bugs have been fixed (it's now safe to hack Platinum). Thanks for your bug reports! Get it here: http://www.mediafire.com/?kq77b55j47mr18l

Beta 2 available!!

Old November 4th, 2012, 07:45 PM
oxysoft

It's interesting the stuff you can do with this, i made a building in the first town in diamond like super tall. Hopefully you figure out how to modify tiles and such. I'm not too active in the rom hacking scene, i prefer to program my own engines but whats the current state with event scripting in nds pokemon games right now? I'm curious as to how it changed from previous gba games.
Old November 5th, 2012, 02:15 AM
Kaphotics
♥ Quick Claw Guillotine ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxysoft View Post
Whats the current state with event scripting in nds pokemon games right now? I'm curious as to how it changed from previous gba games.
PPRE can edit 4th gen scripts; 5th gen scripts there is no editor yet. However, Drayano and I and a few other users have been able to edit 5th gen scripts by hand (our youtube channels have examples).

People are so attracted to the already developed gen3 hacking scene... genV is by far better in terms of capability and simplicity,it just doesn't get the love it should

As far as differences, it's pretty much the same. Only difference is that the command hexes are different, so Gen IV is different from V; and localizations have extra commands as well which shift the rest.

===

One thing I noticed is that the bottom-right corner Drag to Resize functionality isn't really working. I click&drag and nothing happens :\ Making it fullscreen still works. Win7 64bit Ultimate
Old November 5th, 2012, 12:17 PM
ELESACHAMOMILE4th
Elesa

Nature: Quiet
thank you
so much this is so cool
Old November 5th, 2012, 12:21 PM
Spiky-Eared Pichu
NDS Hacker/Researcher

Good news! I've got textures to work in the 3D renderer. That means the program is one step closer to true map editing! Take a look at it:

Spoiler:

More updates coming soon!

Beta 2 available!!

Old November 5th, 2012, 12:29 PM
Pike15
Smoochum

So awsome spiky keep up the good work. When do you think we have a map editor??

Old November 5th, 2012, 05:37 PM
Жека

Quote:
Good news! I've got textures to work in the 3D renderer. That means the program is one step closer to true map editing!
This is truly good news. Can you break it down for us on how the map editor is going to function? What are your plans and do you think you have the skill set atm to do this? That would be awesome if you set ur goals on here so we can all look ahead and advise you with our wise words. Thanks.
Old November 6th, 2012, 03:21 AM
Platinum Lucario
Community Supporter

Quote:
Good news! I've got textures to work in the 3D renderer. That means the program is one step closer to true map editing! Take a look at it:

Spoiler:

More updates coming soon!
This is excellent, I knew it could be achieved. I wonder if it will be able to load the prototype textures on the 3D renderer in D/P/Pt? 'Cause I know NSBMD crashes with those textures loaded. Maybe you could also have an area where you select the texture to use for the 3D view function, and maybe even change which NSBTX it uses?

I'm planning on installing Windows 8 on a different partition so it can run alongside Windows 7, I assume that the reason why the editor isn't saving is probably because of the different Windows operating system it's built on.

Is anyone else finding SDSME saving the ROM... but not any of the changes? 'Cause when I edited the headers and then saved them, they didn't make any changes to the ROM.

Last edited by Platinum Lucario; November 6th, 2012 at 03:26 AM.
Old November 6th, 2012, 04:31 AM
Spiky-Eared Pichu
NDS Hacker/Researcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by PokémonShinySilver View Post
This is excellent, I knew it could be achieved. I wonder if it will be able to load the prototype textures on the 3D renderer in D/P/Pt? 'Cause I know NSBMD crashes with those textures loaded. Maybe you could also have an area where you select the texture to use for the 3D view function, and maybe even change which NSBTX it uses?
That's what I'm working on. The 3D view will have a combobox where you'll be able to choose the tileset to load the model with, including Tileset 0 which is the beta one. It shouldn't crash, but you may get glitched textures.

EDIT: I've finished the texture thing and added a preliminary tileset viewer (which will later become an editor). Version 1.4.0 available here: http://www.mediafire.com/?kq77b55j47mr18l

Beta 2 available!!

Last edited by Spiky-Eared Pichu; November 9th, 2012 at 12:42 PM.
Old November 13th, 2012, 07:55 AM
gatarda
Half-PokéGod

Nature: Gentle
Send a message via Yahoo to gatarda
HELP!!!!!! The program doesn't work with me!!! There appeared an error message:

A part of the pad C:\{{FILES}}\SDSME140\Data\game.nds cannot be find

And I HAVE placed a DPPtHgHs ROM in the ''Date'' directory and named it ''game''!!!
HELP!!!!!! What can I do!?!?!
Old November 13th, 2012, 02:03 PM
Spiky-Eared Pichu
NDS Hacker/Researcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatarda View Post

And I HAVE placed a DPPtHgHs ROM in the ''Date'' directory and named it ''game''!!!
Don't place anything there. That file is the temp file used by the tool to write changes before saving the full rom. Try copying the tool to a folder with a full path that contains no spaces and open the tool again. I'm already working on a fix for this, but for now you'll have to use that workaround. Sorry!

Beta 2 available!!

Old November 14th, 2012, 09:10 PM
Platinum Lucario
Community Supporter

Since SDSME is unable to save for anyone, I would recommend waiting for a solution to the problem or waiting for a new version. I've tried using SDSME on multiple operating systems, they still won't save anything with the header data. Marc, I would suggest installing a completely fresh install of Windows 7 or 8 on a different partition, install the .NET Framework 4, then try changing the weather header for Twinleaf Town (T01) on SDSME so you can then see what the problem I'm having. Perhaps I'm missing some .dll file or .ocx file? If that's the case, can you please tell me what it is? Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatarda View Post

Yep, that's exactly the problem I had while running it on a Windows XP operating system, though it was SDSME120 at that time.

Old November 15th, 2012, 08:57 AM
Spiky-Eared Pichu
NDS Hacker/Researcher

I have rewritten the code that loads and saves ROMs. Now it's safer than before, and it should work in the next version.

The next version will also include translation support (Spanish will be available) and an OBJ exporter (you won't have to use MKDS Course Modifier anymore)

Beta 2 available!!

Old November 15th, 2012, 09:02 AM
Pike15
Smoochum

But when are you gonna be able to map hack??

Old November 15th, 2012, 01:41 PM
itari
Community Supporter

You've been doing some really nice work on this tool.
Will you be able to implement an OBJ importer?

SubscriptAdvanced SongType Effectiveness EditorTilemap CreatorPython IPS Patcher
Old November 15th, 2012, 10:59 PM
Platinum Lucario
Community Supporter

Quote:
I have rewritten the code that loads and saves ROMs. Now it's safer than before, and it should work in the next version.

The next version will also include translation support (Spanish will be available) and an OBJ exporter (you won't have to use MKDS Course Modifier anymore) :)
Yay! That's excellent! I could also suggest that the 3D Viewer could also have a unique feature in which the 3D viewer shows the NSBTX automatically accordingly to what the ARM9 tells which one it's using, even though you can change which NSBTX the model uses to kind of experiment with each NSBTX.
Quote:
Originally Posted by agentgeo View Post
You've been doing some really nice work on this tool.
Will you be able to implement an OBJ importer?
That would indeed take quite a while, though it can be done... but expect some glitches with the NSBMD that is inserted into the ROM. ;)

Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here