Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Gaming > Pokémon Gaming Central
Reload this Page Best Remake

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Pokémon Gaming Central For topics that aren't necessarily restricted to one game, Pokémon Gaming Central ranges from comparing and contrasting the differences in the gaming generations to discussing the gaming franchise as a whole.
Sort Threads: Featured | Spinoffs

Old September 18th, 2012 (06:41 AM). Edited September 18th, 2012 by Chase.
ModeratorBSCS

Nature: Modest
We are all hoping for R/S/E remakes. There have already been some great remakes of our favorite games.

RBY---Fire Red, Leaf Green
GSC---Heartgold, Soulsilver

So basically which remake do you think was better? Was it better than the original? Do you think that if we get a R/S/E remake it will be better than the original? Discuss.

Personally I think that the remakes of GSC were better. That is just my opinion. GSC were my favorite games until HeartGold and SoulSIlver were released. I think they turned out better than the original.
Old September 18th, 2012 (11:44 AM).
Nyeh?
Gold Tier

Nature: Hasty
Send a message via Yahoo to PlatinumDude Send a message via Skype™ to PlatinumDude
I like HeartGold/SoulSilver the best; even though I never played G/S/C, they gave me a taste of what Johto was like.

Old September 18th, 2012 (12:06 PM).

Nature: Hasty
Send a message via Skype™ to Xander Olivieri
FR/LG > HG/SS

But I didn't find either Remake better than the originals.
Old September 18th, 2012 (12:08 PM).

Nature: Lax
Agreed with the above poster. The graphics are great and all, but the simplification of the mazes and dungeons kinda killed it for me.

Old September 18th, 2012 (12:30 PM).
there's a place downtown
Platinum Tier

Nature: Relaxed
Currently HG/SS then FR/LG, I prefer them both to the originals but I know my favourite will be RS remakes if they are created.
Old September 18th, 2012 (01:06 PM). Edited September 18th, 2012 by Elite Overlord LeSabre™.
On that 'Non stop road'
Gold Tier

Nature: Quirky
FR/LG by a wide margin for me. HG/SS failed to address critical issues with the source material (like the stark level imbalance) and many of its new features added to the annoyance (Rock Climb sections in Mt. Silver), contributed little to gameplay (the following Pokemon feature) or were direct rips from prior games (the Battle Frontier).

FR/LG added a brand new area to explore (Sevii Islands), added features that were actually useful (Vs. Seeker and the stronger Elite Four), and really didn't have any serious issues like HG/SS had (such as the level imbalance).

As for any R/S/E remakes, I don't plan on getting them. I don't like the design of the region (Hoenn) itself, and I don't think any amount of fancy graphics are going to change how tedious and uninspired I found that locale to be.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™
PC Vital Stats
* Pair
* PC Family
* Bishies
* VG Claims
* Friend Codes
Links
* Blog
* Web Site
* Fan Fictions:
* Leaf Green LP
Old September 18th, 2012 (02:05 PM).
Pikachu
Crystal Tier

HGSS then FRLG. I just liked how their was more to do in HGSS. I also liked a lot of the legendaries you could obtain : Groudon,Rayquaza.Kyogre and Lugia/Ho-oh.
Old September 18th, 2012 (04:17 PM).
ModeratorBSCS

Quote originally posted by o Pikachu o:
HGSS then FRLG. I just liked how their was more to do in HGSS. I also liked a lot of the legendaries you could obtain : Groudon,Rayquaza.Kyogre and Lugia/Ho-oh.

Don't forget the Latis! I was so happy to get one. And also Mewtwo and the two trios!
Old September 19th, 2012 (12:10 PM).
staaaaay fresh!
Super ModeratorCS

Nature: Timid
HGSS were MUCH better imo. FRLG were just straight remakes with a few additions. HGSS felt old, and still surprisingly new if that makes sense. It has enough to feel like it's more than just remaking the game, but it gave us neat features that really set it apart from other games, like the bottom screen menu and the follow-me feature. FRLG were just...bleh. It felt old, but...that's really it. There wasn't much that really set it apart, and there were more annoying features, like not being able to evolve Golbat and Chansey just because their evolutions weren't in the original Pokedex. HGSS corrected that. I figure FRLG were so bad (of course, that's IMO) because it was the first attempt at remaking a Pokemon game. So you know, there were obviously gonna be some flaws. At least with HGSS, they knew better and it just came out better than FRLG. Of course this is all imo, lol. FRLG are really low on the list for me, so if you like them or they're your favorite or whatever, I don't mean to rag all over the game. :P

trade | challenges | vgm | klippy
Old September 19th, 2012 (01:03 PM).
ModeratorBSCS

Quote originally posted by Sydian:
HGSS were MUCH better imo. FRLG were just straight remakes with a few additions. HGSS felt old, and still surprisingly new if that makes sense. It has enough to feel like it's more than just remaking the game, but it gave us neat features that really set it apart from other games, like the bottom screen menu and the follow-me feature. FRLG were just...bleh. It felt old, but...that's really it. There wasn't much that really set it apart, and there were more annoying features, like not being able to evolve Golbat and Chansey just because their evolutions weren't in the original Pokedex. HGSS corrected that. I figure FRLG were so bad (of course, that's IMO) because it was the first attempt at remaking a Pokemon game. So you know, there were obviously gonna be some flaws. At least with HGSS, they knew better and it just came out better than FRLG. Of course this is all imo, lol. FRLG are really low on the list for me, so if you like them or they're your favorite or whatever, I don't mean to rag all over the game.

I also really like how HGSS added the Safari Zone and the way it worked. It brought such a breath of fresh air from the regular Safari Zones. While I never did the Pokeathalon, I thought it was also a neat feature.
Old September 19th, 2012 (01:16 PM).

Nature: Rash
I far preferred SoulSilver to FRLG. While I did enjoy FRLG (since I find it impossible to play on my Gameboy now due to the lack of a backlight), I just thought the execution of SS was beautiful. The follow me feature, the improved graphics, everything. My favourite Pokémon game of all time so far.

Old September 21st, 2012 (12:18 PM).
staaaaay fresh!
Super ModeratorCS

Nature: Timid
Quote:
I also really like how HGSS added the Safari Zone and the way it worked. It brought such a breath of fresh air from the regular Safari Zones. While I never did the Pokeathalon, I thought it was also a neat feature.
Yes, I thought it was nice too! I think the Pokethlon is fun, though I get tired of it when I have to grind points to get stones or something haha. Also, I forgot to mention it but your post reminded me. There are minigames in FRLG, however they're multiplayer only. I don't know about y'all, but I didn't have any friends to play the minigames with, so this feature just went on unused for me. Plus, they were Pokemon specific, which is bleh as well. The concept was nice, but I mean really, how many people got to actually play these games with other people? It sucks to have a feature that I don't think a lot of people got to actually use, so that's another thing that brings FRLG down for me.

trade | challenges | vgm | klippy
Old September 21st, 2012 (03:07 PM).
ModeratorBSCS

Quote originally posted by Sydian:
Yes, I thought it was nice too! I think the Pokethlon is fun, though I get tired of it when I have to grind points to get stones or something haha. Also, I forgot to mention it but your post reminded me. There are minigames in FRLG, however they're multiplayer only. I don't know about y'all, but I didn't have any friends to play the minigames with, so this feature just went on unused for me. Plus, they were Pokemon specific, which is bleh as well. The concept was nice, but I mean really, how many people got to actually play these games with other people? It sucks to have a feature that I don't think a lot of people got to actually use, so that's another thing that brings FRLG down for me.

Yeah, I also missed out on the minigames in FRLG. I only had my brother to play them with but his GBA was very glitchy which restricted the minigames for me.
Old September 21st, 2012 (03:31 PM).

I liked FR/LG better. My main problem is that HG/SS didn't fix what G/S/C did wrong. Also, the Pokemon following feature kind of annoyed me. The best thing about HG/SS is the Pokeathlon.
Old September 21st, 2012 (03:49 PM).
ModeratorBSCS

Quote originally posted by crystalzapdos:
I liked FR/LG better. My main problem is that HG/SS didn't fix what G/S/C did wrong. Also, the Pokemon following feature kind of annoyed me. The best thing about HG/SS is the Pokeathlon.
Nothing wrong with your opinion, but what exactly did GSC do wrong that HGSS didn't fix? They added the Safari Zone.
Old September 21st, 2012 (04:39 PM).
Momentai :D
Crystal Tier

I loved HGSS, they're definitely my favourite remakes. The following Pokémon were exceptional, the Pokéathlon was amazing and the Battle Frontier was truly epic! I didn't feel that they really added that much in FRLG (other than the Sevii Islands but they weren't spectacular :p) so I much prefer HGSS. They just took an amazing generation and made it outstanding!
Old September 21st, 2012 (04:58 PM).
#justiceforbionic 11.11.13

Quote originally posted by crystalzapdos:
I would've liked it more if you could choose whether they follow you or not. Sometimes I like a Pokemon following me but at other times I don't.

I'd also have liked it if they didn't have to be first in my party...
Old September 21st, 2012 (06:04 PM).

I liked the HGSS remake more cause it's my favourite gen

Serebii:

Pokemon Plus:

Click Here To Join Pokemon Plus
Old September 21st, 2012 (06:12 PM).
Never go full retard

FR/LG < HG/SS

I'd have to go with HG/SS. They went into more detail of how the events occured in the original. For example. Your rival in the original, you battle him but don't get his name except you make up a name. In the remakes he drops his player card and that's how you pick his name. Stuff like that made me like it more.

Old September 21st, 2012 (09:07 PM).
The last Saskatchewan pirate.
ModeratorCS

Nature: Careful
Send a message via Skype™ to Osiris
Of the two, HG/SS were my favorite remakes. I think the new battle system (physical/special split) got me more into thinking about strategies than I had in the past, which is already a plus. I also liked the inclusion of the Pokeathlon, which would probably have to be my favorite mini-games in the entire Pokemon series. All that, and Gold was the game that I spent the most time on as a kid, so the remakes for it were something I was eagerly waiting for the second I played Fire Red.

Speaking of Fire Red, it was alright, but there was nothing much to do once you'd beaten the game. I did like the edition of the Sevii Islands (and wish they would have has some sort of appearance in HG/SS), but other than that, not a lot stood out to me. If Emerald's Battle Frontier would have been included in it though, I would actually think my vote would sway towards FR/LG.
Old September 25th, 2012 (06:36 AM).
The Fennekin Fan!

I like Leaf Green the most beacuse it was the first game I played. :-)

Old September 27th, 2012 (02:01 PM).
Bananas

FR/LG and HG/SS are almost tied. Second Gen will probably be forever my favorite Generation, though. Out of all the games it seems to have the most content.
Old September 27th, 2012 (02:20 PM).
Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

HGSS over LG/FR, but not by much. I think ive just played FR too many times and it started getting kind of bland. But what im wondering is why the pokemon follow feature annoyed people so much? I cannot see how it could be annoying, considering it doesnt affect anything.
Old September 27th, 2012 (03:08 PM).
"He was a laser fish."

Nature: Quiet
I never played FR/LG But I believe HG/SS to be the best of the series
Old October 1st, 2012 (04:54 PM).
I'm the fury in your head
Crystal Tier

Definitely HeartGold & SoulSilver, they were my fave games until Black & White's release.

The stuff I loved about HG/SS was that they kept the gameplay so close to the original G/S but add the updated features from Generation 4. Also, the post-game and Safari Zone is pretty enjoyable.

tumblr | twitter | lovely pairs | ask me
adoption center mentor | fairy club | water club

Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

You may also like.. (Beta)