The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Discussions > Pokémon Trading Card Game

Notices

Pokémon Trading Card Game The forum for the Pokémon TCG and Pokemon TCG Online. Post your deck to get rated, rate other decks, ask questions, talk about strategy, etc.

Advertise here

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old September 21st, 2012, 04:14 PM
ZeroDaGreat
Unhatched Egg

Advertise here
Hey everyone, After playing pokemon for the last month I decided I want to begin collecting cards again and possibly play for fun. I use to play back a while ago when the original packs came out, I remember buying a few packs with $20 when I was a kid and opening the packs and putting them in a giant circle around, me >.< Is there anywhere to start? Do the new packs have old cards also or just new cards? I won't be getting any cards anytime soon, money situation going on with the family and myself >.<
But is there anywhere to begin collecting? Should I go for a tin or just packs? I was thinking the HG trainer kit just because Raichu is given
Old September 21st, 2012, 10:31 PM
donavannj
The Melody Pokémon

New packs don't have any older cards, just new cards from those particular sets, but the new packs do tend to have at least a few cards with older Pokemon.

If you're looking to relearn how to play, then I'd start with one of the Trainer Kits. Otherwise, if you're just collecting, I recommend tins and booster boxes instead, though you can't buy booster boxes in stores. You'd have to buy those from online retailers.
Old September 22nd, 2012, 01:32 AM
Overlord Drakow
-CONQUERER

Nature: Serious
Donny V pretty much has it covered. But if you used to play back when the base set was out or whatever and you're like me, then you won't need a trainer kit to get back up to speed with playing. I ended up getting a theme deck to get back into the swing of things.
Old September 22nd, 2012, 09:43 AM
ZeroDaGreat
Unhatched Egg

So I would have to try to find older packs online? I don't mind collecting new cards but I would love to have old and at least the commons from every generation. I'm gonna get the HG trainer kit when I get the money. And booster boxes is it how yu-gi-oh with a giant box full of packs(not a tin)? or something like that?

When I use to play I was in like 4th grade and did not even know how to play me and my friends made our own rules. I don't even remember what cards I had, the only one I remember is a oddish since thats the first card I pulled from my venasur(excuse my bad spelling for his name) pack
Old September 22nd, 2012, 09:58 PM
donavannj
The Melody Pokémon

Thing is, a booster for an older set generally runs for no lower than $13, with some going for as high as $50 each, at least in the sets from 2002 and earlier. It's cheaper to buy the commons and uncommons in bulk and buying the rares individually, to be honest.
Old September 23rd, 2012, 09:22 AM
ZeroDaGreat
Unhatched Egg

Oh I see, and buying a bulk of uncommons. Is it true that the shiny charizard from back then is worth $2000 plus?
Old September 23rd, 2012, 11:35 AM
donavannj
The Melody Pokémon

Nowhere close to that. Closest it's gone for is $800, for a PSA mint 10 (meaning near perfect condition) 1st Edition Shadowless Charizard.
Old September 24th, 2012, 12:02 PM
ZeroDaGreat
Unhatched Egg

The website or video must have been misinformed they said 1st edition charizard from back in the day was worth $2300.
Old September 24th, 2012, 11:04 PM
donavannj
The Melody Pokémon

I was gonna say that the whole shadowless 1st Edition Base Set doesn't even fetch that much.
Old September 28th, 2012, 04:07 PM
Demon.
Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Id suggest buying lots off of the internet. You still get the thrill of opening a pack, but with the added chance of getting older cards.
Old September 28th, 2012, 11:26 PM
donavannj
The Melody Pokémon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demon. View Post
Id suggest buying lots off of the internet. You still get the thrill of opening a pack, but with the added chance of getting older cards.
You mean lots in the eBay and Amazon sense, or just large quantities of cards?
Old September 29th, 2012, 08:14 AM
Demon.
Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Ebay and amazon sense. Ive bought a few, rarely have i been completely disappointed.
Old October 28th, 2012, 05:39 PM
MyPokemonCollection
Thor

I just started collecting again too. I bought a few booster boxes. I was extremely pleased with my pulls. Almost completely my Call of Legends set with 1 booster box. There are a lot of original Pokemon in this set too, that's the main reason why i got it I got video of me opening it on youtube if you want to check it out exactly whats in the set. Or just contact me Goodluck and enjoy collecting!
Old November 6th, 2012, 11:01 PM
TrollShammy80
Loved all Pokemon Since 98'

Nature: Quiet
I just started collecting again recently only the Next Destinies Decks atm (I know they're a little old)...gonna start from there and work my way up it least i can start from somewhere I might get into playing again I just have no one to play with

I just gave up after someone who used to be my friend stole all my rare cards and denied the whole thing saying she didn't when i found some of my rares in her binder she stole it leaset 5-600 dollars worth of rares i had, my mom and I we're pretty angry

Proud MLP Fan/NCIS/Ghost Hunters/Ghost Adventures/CSI and many others
RIP: Step Mom 7/17/53-7/2/13
RIP: Uncle Jesse ???-1/3/2014
"I do breed for IVs/Ev's...but I always remember to have fun playing Pokemon"
"I always play for fun on my emulators and Y version only"
www.youtube.com/trollshammy80
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here