Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Off-Topic Discussions > The Round Table
Reload this Page [News] Lonely, Bullied, Abused Teen Dies

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

The Round Table Have a seat at the Round Table for in-depth discussions, extended or serious conversations, and current events. From world news to talks on life, growing up, relationships, and issues in society, this is the place to be. Come be a knight.

Closed Thread

Old October 16th, 2012 (09:06 AM).
Oxymoron, not a moron, thanks

Send a message via AIM to LividZephyr Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to LividZephyr
http://abcnews.go.com/International/bullied-teen-amanda-todd-leaves-chilling-youtube-video/story?id=17463266#.UH2S-1GuVSS

This is making me cry. Nobody deserves to be treated like this. How can people be so horrible? I can sympathize a lot, although I was never treated THIS badly... I just have less and less hope for humanity every day.

What can be done to stop this horrible behavior? Is there any hope, or will these things always happen to those that don't deserve it?
Old October 16th, 2012 (09:12 AM).

Nature: Sassy
I saw this on Twitter a couple days ago, it's really unfortunate.

There's a school district near me that's had 11 suicides in the past four years and 15 attempts within five months, people don't understand how serious bullying is.
Old October 16th, 2012 (09:19 AM).
Silver Tier

I read something today that says people may have found out who was bullying her. That won't help her now, but maybe it will give other online bullies pause if they realize that they aren't as anonymous as they think they are.
Old October 16th, 2012 (09:27 AM). Edited October 16th, 2012 by Sylphiel.
●» f r e e yourself from the heavens' bonds «
Super ModeratorCS

Nature: Quirky
That...was almost painful to read. Ouch, that poor girl.

Sadly, I think unless there starts being some kind of major repercussion to bullying others, nothing's going to stop it. And I don't mean the slap on the wrist that schools like to give (or at least, that my schools used to give - something like suspension for a few days won't help much. Once that bully comes back, it starts all over again). Those kind of people will bully others for whatever reason just because they can and because they can get away with it. Maybe having more dire consequences for their actions would make them at least back off....or maybe not. :(

It also doesn't help that one course of action that's bandied about, or at least was for me, was to "just ignore people like that." No. That doesn't work, at least not for the more serious bullies. More people need to speak out about being bullied so that something can be done in the first place!

» Paired with
Ausaudriel
8/14/2007
, yo.

» sketch.threadtumblr
» #IRC://battle server
Old October 16th, 2012 (09:29 AM).
Oxymoron, not a moron, thanks

Send a message via AIM to LividZephyr Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to LividZephyr
Quote originally posted by Scarf:
I read something today that says people may have found out who was bullying her. That won't help her now, but maybe it will give other online bullies pause if they realize that they aren't as anonymous as they think they are.
Yes... let us hope that they can get caught. Cyberbullying is just as bad as regular bullying, and people feel that they can get away with it because they can hide behind a username. Well... there are always ways to catch them. And ban them from the more upstanding sites.

I was bullied extensively in certain places just because of people who needed to have someone to be bigger or better than. They're still lifeless zombies who don't have lives outside of their bedrooms, while I'm actually trying to do something with myself. I take solace in knowing that there is someone that I'm better than - and it's the people who try to be bigger than me by putting me down. I don't resort to that kind of thing. I resort to actually being productive to have satisfaction, as opposed to trying to be bigger than somebody. I look back upon myself and who I was five years ago and realize just how pathetic I was, and that I'm not anymore, and that I no longer have to waste my life being bullied by jerks. That's what I take solace in. I've moved beyond it - they haven't, and likely never will get over the past. Plus, they kept at it, because having their messages reported and moderated made them think that they got to me, and it was just sad...

Good thing I know where some of them live, so if they did anything that crossed the line... well, they could be caught. I'm not one to go there myself, because that would make me a hypocrite. I'm beyond that. It doesn't get to me anymore, even if I do feel lonely... but that's for a different reason.
Old October 16th, 2012 (09:38 AM).
what
Crystal Tier

Nature: Quiet
People get bullied all the time for being ugly, gay, stupid etc. They commit suicide, a few people will be slightly upset by it.

This girl gets bullied for getting her boobs out over the internet and sleeping with boys who had girlfriends. Everyone cares because she posted a dramatic video that's been done before by people who remained strong and did not kill themselves.

Not saying she deserved to be bullied so much, especially to the point of suicide, even if what she done was horrible, but so many people are acting like this has never happened to people who were bullied for something they were born with that was out of their control, then everyone and their mother thinks it's the saddest story of the year when a girl who got bullied for being a **** and an attention seeker kills herself.

It's Kony all over again.

Because it should've won HotY.
Pear
Frodo Baggins
Twitter
Youtube
CBC
Old October 16th, 2012 (09:52 AM).
Silver Tier

Quote originally posted by Fireworks:
People get bullied all the time for being ugly, gay, stupid etc. They commit suicide, a few people will be slightly upset by it.

This girl gets bullied for getting her boobs out over the internet and sleeping with boys who had girlfriends. Everyone cares because she posted a dramatic video that's been done before by people who remained strong and did not kill themselves.

Not saying she deserved to be bullied so much, especially to the point of suicide, even if what she done was horrible, but so many people are acting like this has never happened to people who were bullied for something they were born with that was out of their control, then everyone and their mother thinks it's the saddest story of the year when a girl who got bullied for being a **** and an attention seeker kills herself.

She's dead. She was 15. I don't know what else I need to say.

Let me educate you a bit on double standards. Girls get pressured to be sexual. Boys get this as well. The difference is when girls do it they get called things like the word I'm sure is hidden behind those asterisks in your post. Boys get complimented for having sex. Girls become "unclean," become "acceptable" targets.

This girl didn't ask to be targeted by some creep. She didn't ask to be attacked by the kids at her school.
Old October 16th, 2012 (10:44 AM).
Resident Yuri-ism Cult Leader

Send a message via Skype™ to TornZero
Anonymous seems to be the one that outed the culprit yesterday.

I will be moving my account to Songbird over the course of immediately. The signature will stay as is for posterity and reference.
Old October 16th, 2012 (11:18 AM). Edited October 16th, 2012 by Mr. X.
For Money
Crystal Tier

And this kiddies is what happens when you give out nudes.

Given how straight to **** her life went I'm wondering why her parents never intervened.

Come play Runescape
Old October 16th, 2012 (11:20 AM). Edited October 16th, 2012 by shenanigans.
-CONQUERER

Nature: Serious
It's a very disheartening story. Despite her eventually killing herself, I think she was a remarkably strong person. She got kicked down repeatedly and she tried many many times to pick herself up and start fresh. Despite her past experiences she tried to put her trust and faith in the people around her. I think it takes a lot of strength to be able to do that after having such previous bad experiences.
Old October 16th, 2012 (11:21 AM). Edited October 16th, 2012 by shenanigans.
For Money
Crystal Tier

Quote originally posted by Drakow:
It's a very disheartening story. Despite her eventually killing herself, I think she was a remarkably strong person. She got kicked down repeatedly and she tried many many times to pick herself up and start fresh. Despite her past experiences she tried to put her trust and faith in the people around her. I think it takes a lot of strength to be able to do that after having such previous bad experiences.
Starting to use drugs and alcohol is considered picking yourself up?

Come play Runescape
Old October 16th, 2012 (11:25 AM).
-CONQUERER

Quote originally posted by Mr. X:
Starting to use drugs and alcohol is considered picking yourself up?
OK fine excluding the drug abuse, but otherwise I think my point stands.
Old October 16th, 2012 (11:28 AM).
For Money
Crystal Tier

Should remove the pic though, because A) The language, and B) It's justifying the bullying.

Edit - The main pic doesn't fall under B, but the enlightenment part under it does.

Come play Runescape
Old October 16th, 2012 (11:31 AM).
-CONQUERER

The image was posted to further illustrate the "double standard" people have.
Old October 16th, 2012 (11:38 AM).
CoquettishCat
Crystal Tier

Nature: Relaxed

Do you realize the massive amounts of misogyny that you're spouting right now? Do you realize that the implication of your words are that she has no "right" to be depressed because she made a mistake?

Do you realize that words like the ones you're saying right now are the reason she killed herself?

Theme * Pair * VM * PM

Not all men...

Are all men stupid?

That's right.

Old October 16th, 2012 (11:38 AM).
Leavanny

Quote originally posted by Mr. X and Drakow:
image discussion
I just got rid of the image anyway. I think its message can be better explained with much more appropriate wording.

Anyway, carry on!
Old October 16th, 2012 (11:42 AM).
For Money
Crystal Tier

Quote originally posted by Toujours:

Do you realize the massive amounts of misogyny that you're spouting right now? Do you realize that the implication of your words are that she has no "right" to be depressed because she made a mistake?

Do you realize that words like the ones you're saying right now are the reason she killed herself?
I think he is saying, 'Go ahead and do what you want, but be ready to live with the mistakes.'

But he has a point. The only time we hear about cases like this is if the person made a youtube video beforehand. I've had a couple of friends kill themselves because of bullying, but they were ignored by the media because they would rather focus on the ones who made the youtube videos.

People need to remember this. The media isn't reporting this because they care. They are reporting this because they know it will get viewers.

Come play Runescape
Old October 16th, 2012 (11:49 AM).
what
Crystal Tier

Quote originally posted by ShinySearcher01:
Obviously you've never been bullied..?
Ha. Haha. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHHAHAHHHAHAHA!

I've been bullied my entire life for being ugly, I'm absolutely terrified whenever I'm around people in case they laugh at me, I have absolutely no self-esteem, during lunch at school I used to hide in the school toilets so I wouldn't have to be near anyone, I had to leave school early so I wouldn't get beaten up on the way home, even today I'm still scared to go outside, or even open my curtains in case anyone walks by my window and sees it. Nobody ever cares about that. Real bullying. And hey, look, I'm still alive, despite the amount of times I've wondered how much better it would be for everyone else if I killed myself.

This girl flashes on the internet and sleeps with boys that have girlfriends. She got called some names over the internet for it. It's the worst thing to ever happen to anyone.

Pear
Frodo Baggins
Twitter
Youtube
CBC
Old October 16th, 2012 (11:56 AM). Edited October 16th, 2012 by Crimson5M.
what
Crystal Tier

Exactly. If there hadn't been any "She deserved it" comments, she'd be alive right now. And do you realize that the RCMP is threatning those who post comments like this with arrest? We have something called hate speech law in Canada.

A couple? Now you're trolling.
If there hadn't been comments saying she deserved to die, she'd still be alive right okay I can see that.

EDIT: How do you know his friends never killed themselves? Oh that's right, because the media didn't take their stories and exaggerate it and make it seem like the only suicide ever. Which is exactly my point.

Pear
Frodo Baggins
Twitter
Youtube
CBC
Old October 16th, 2012 (11:59 AM).
For Money
Crystal Tier

A couple? Now you're trolling.
Sean Martin and Mathew Roberts.

Now, please, go **** yourself.

Come play Runescape
Old October 16th, 2012 (12:06 PM).
Tympole

@_______@

Ok this thread's only a couple of hours old and it's already getting nastier than I'm comfortable with. This is obviously a really unpleasant topic for some members here, as shown in the last few posts, and some of you need to cool down a bit before you continue and approach this discussion with a little more maturity and sensitivity. Because honestly some of the attitude and aggression being thrown around in here is just plain unacceptable. It stops now. Thanks guys.
Old October 16th, 2012 (12:12 PM).
CoquettishCat
Crystal Tier

If there hadn't been comments saying she deserved to die, she'd still be alive right okay I can see that.
Yes. Did you not watch the video? She spoke over and over again about how she had no one, about how people kept torturing her verbally online, even after she moved and tried to move on. Watch the video starting at 7:15. She writes about how she left her school (which wasn't her original school, mind, she had already changed schools to deal with this), was doing better, and then the cyber-bullying began again. So she tried to kill herself again. These comments were what caused her to try to kill herself, and in the end, to succeed.

Also if you watch the video, she was diagnosed with multiple mental disorders caused by the bullying. The bullying caused the mental disorders, and left her in a place where she felt her only escape was death.

I think he is saying, 'Go ahead and do what you want, but be ready to live with the mistakes.'

But he has a point. The only time we hear about cases like this is if the person made a youtube video beforehand. I've had a couple of friends kill themselves because of bullying, but they were ignored by the media because they would rather focus on the ones who made the youtube videos.

People need to remember this. The media isn't reporting this because they care. They are reporting this because they know it will get viewers.
The solution to "people that kill themselves are not given enough attention to solve the problems that are causing people to kill themselves" is not to tear down anyone who kills themselves and does get attention. All people are doing that continue to insult her, ****-shame her, and act like heartless misogynists after her death is showing other at-risk, troubled teens with mental issues that there is no sympathy anywhere and that they're alone in this world.

Why does it matter why the media is reporting this? The media is reporting this. Maybe it'll shock some people into giving a crap about people other than themselves, maybe it'll shock some parents into talking to their kids about how words can affect another person's life so profoundly. And hopefully it will spur people to find out who said these miserable things about her and contact them directly, possibly initiating legal action against them.

Theme * Pair * VM * PM

Not all men...

Are all men stupid?

That's right.

Old October 16th, 2012 (12:26 PM).
For Money
Crystal Tier

Quote originally posted by Toujours:
The solution to "people that kill themselves are not given enough attention to solve the problems that are causing people to kill themselves" is not to tear down anyone who kills themselves and does get attention. All people are doing that continue to insult her, ****-shame her, and act like heartless misogynists after her death is showing other at-risk, troubled teens with mental issues that there is no sympathy anywhere and that they're alone in this world.

Why does it matter why the media is reporting this? The media is reporting this. Maybe it'll shock some people into giving a crap about people other than themselves, maybe it'll shock some parents into talking to their kids about how words can affect another person's life so profoundly. And hopefully it will spur people to find out who said these miserable things about her and contact them directly, possibly initiating legal action against them.
It's how the media works. The vast majority of cases are ignored, in favor of the ones that will get people to view it. I'm not saying to tear them down, I'm saying that they need to stop focusing on only the most extreme cases.

We've had 'shock into action' stories before. Remember the gay kid who was bullied and commited suicide? We still have gays being bullied. And we still have gays commiting suicide. And we still have gay kids commiting suicide because of the bullying. If shock into action worked, then this would have stopped. But it hasn't.

Come play Runescape
Old October 16th, 2012 (12:45 PM).
CoquettishCat
Crystal Tier

It's how the media works. The vast majority of cases are ignored, in favor of the ones that will get people to view it. I'm not saying to tear them down, I'm saying that they need to stop focusing on only the most extreme cases.

We've had 'shock into action' stories before. Remember the gay kid who was bullied and commited suicide? We still have gays being bullied. And we still have gays commiting suicide. And we still have gay kids commiting suicide because of the bullying. If shock into action worked, then this would have stopped. But it hasn't.
But those stories did cause a lot of outpouring of love online for people that are dealing with these kinds of things. I remember it. Well, I mean...outpouring of love except for people like Fireworks, lol. It was temporary but I'm sure the people that were helped by it don't care about how temporary it was. Each person isn't just their own person alone, they're more of a symbol of everyone else who isn't getting the media attention that killed themselves for the same reasons.

I agree, the media should focus on all children (realistically, all people) that kill themselves, in addition to all instances of discrimination, racism, sexism, classism, etc. To handle all of these though (I mean, just to cover suicides, there are over 30,000 deaths a year in the US alone), I feel there would need to be...some kind of social issues station that's 24 hours a day news covering all issues like this, issues that the mainstream media isn't willing to handle but affect the average person's life in that they can relate to a similar situation. Idk I'm just brainstorming how this would be balanced with other types of news that programs report on.

Theme * Pair * VM * PM

Not all men...

Are all men stupid?

That's right.

Old October 16th, 2012 (01:07 PM).
For Money
Crystal Tier

I understand Fireworks point though.

I am/was in the same situiation he was in, being the target for bullies when I was in school. For us though, we've lived through it. For us, having lived with the bullying, its hard to feel sympathy for a person who decides to kill themselves because of it. You know the saying, life gets better? For us, we've experienced it. Our lives were ****, but we lived through it.

But, for both of us, part of the reason why we don't feel sympathy for cases like this is also because we know that we could have just as easily given up on life. And we hate that.

Come play Runescape
Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links