The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Off-Topic Discussions > General Chat

Notices

General Chat Reporting for duty!

Advertise here

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old October 19th, 2012, 06:51 AM
Frostweaver
Ancient + Prehistoric

Nature: Calm

Advertise here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ausaudriel View Post
I am REALLY glad you're 23 or else I'd feel like I was old for knowing what they are. :| lol.

Pogs were so cool. They were like these round flat little things that you collected, and they had different designs and styles on them, and some were holographic and stuff. They were like Pokemon cards. XD
I do know what they look like and have seen the before, but I never got to play with them, and I have no idea how to play with them. I thought that they are just random collectibles or something.

Now you make me curious how old you are lol....

Physical toys are one of those things like... are legos awesome? Yup. How does its price compare with minecraft though? Minecraft instantly wins right there. Infinite amount of blocks to build whatever you want~
Old October 19th, 2012, 06:56 AM
Oryx
Of the pigeon, by the pigeon, for the pigeon
Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
I thought they were like little plastic things that kinda bounced...was I wrong? :(
PM
Old October 19th, 2012, 08:02 AM
Awesomepulls
Unhatched Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarf View Post

My brother had a bunch of pogs. I remember not quite understanding the game. I thought there was more to it.
Pogs! They were awesome haha. There were the regular ones which i think were made of cardboard or something and then you had the "slammers" which were metal or made of a heavier material than the regular pogs. All you had to do was make a stack of pogs and throw your slammer on em all the ones you knocked off were yours then it was your opponents turn. I think it was mostly a game of keeps but i can be wrong.
Old October 19th, 2012, 09:28 AM
Esper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostweaver View Post
Physical toys are one of those things like... are legos awesome? Yup. How does its price compare with minecraft though? Minecraft instantly wins right there. Infinite amount of blocks to build whatever you want~
But when you have a bucket of legos because all your cousins grew out of them and pawned them off on you it costs nothing! /has a bucket of legos

But yeah, would never buy them 'cause they're too expensive.

deviantart blog pair
Old October 19th, 2012, 09:38 AM
Frostweaver
Ancient + Prehistoric

But then someone will be stuck with all the toys and then you go "so what do I do with all of this stuff now D:"

I'm certainly having that problem with my old toys myself... and no siblings to share the burden with haha.
Old October 19th, 2012, 09:40 AM
Mr. X
Oops
Community Supporter

Nature: Quiet
Knex > Legos.

Anyone who has built stuff from both will know this.

Come play Runescape
Old October 19th, 2012, 09:41 AM
Sylphiel

Nature: Quirky
Quote:
I am REALLY glad you're 23 or else I'd feel like I was old for knowing what they are. :| lol.

Pogs were so cool. They were like these round flat little things that you collected, and they had different designs and styles on them, and some were holographic and stuff. They were like Pokemon cards. XD
Speaking of old, I'd actually forgotten that those things existed. :( Then again, I don't think they were as popular in my town as in other places, possibly (as I recall, I do remember seeing some around but it wasn't some omg huge craze). My town was kind of slow in picking up certain things back then.

(Never got into Minecraft, or played it at all, but I'd also say that it wins over Legos because you can't step on any of those blocks. Ohhh, the pain.)

Heck, forget now, I'd say toys have been on the decline for years and years. When I was a kid, I recall wanting to play my video games over anything else. Toys? Action figures? Nah, can I play my SNES instead?
Old October 19th, 2012, 09:50 AM
Esper

I'm flashing back to that sad scene in Toy Story 3.

Toys won't ever go away though since they're good for kids developmentally. Or something like that. Screens are really bad for them.

deviantart blog pair
Old October 19th, 2012, 09:55 AM
Sora
The Keyblade Pokémon

Nature: Gentle
I kind of want to go home now and play with my brother's LEGOs. Thanks guys.

Toys do seem to be 'going out of style', but yeah, they'll always be around. There will (hopefully) always be parents who believe that it's not wise to grow your kids up on pure technology. Go outside! Play! Make a meal with the fake kitchen and fake plastic food down in the playroom! Y'know, that sort of thing.
Old October 19th, 2012, 11:20 AM
Team Fail
The fine line between in|sanity
Community Supporter

Nature: Brave
Quote:
Originally Posted by BinaryPeaches View Post
I kind of want to go home now and play with my brother's LEGOs. Thanks guys.

Toys do seem to be 'going out of style', but yeah, they'll always be around. There will (hopefully) always be parents who believe that it's not wise to grow your kids up on pure technology. Go outside! Play! Make a meal with the fake kitchen and fake plastic food down in the playroom! Y'know, that sort of thing.
Lego!!!11!!!! I just put together a Lego kit the other week.

They are going out of style, and the ideas for toys are becoming more and more unoriginal imo. Hopefully, though, there will be some of us that give our kids a doll or a a doll house and let them use that instead of iPhones or Xbox 360s.

Pairs:
Kevin, Echidna
Follow me on Twitter! @TeamFail
Alt 1, リザードン
Miiverse
Pokémon Hackers Online
Alt 2: Jack Cayman

[04:20.39] <@GoGo> I WILL INSERT WITH PLEASURE
[04:20.45] <@GoGo> shut it Bela

[05:41.55] <Team_Fail> Blue Spider is interesting, but #MEHMasterRace
[05:42.20] <diegoisawesome> Team_Fail: Sounds like a bunch of unmotivated people that still want to try to take over the world
Old October 19th, 2012, 03:02 PM
Mr Cat Dog
Everything Will Be OK

Nature: Relaxed
The biggest memory that I have of Lego actually involves the doctors' office. While I had Lego as a kid, I can always remember really liking going to the doctors either as a patient, or accompanying my mother/brother/father, because there was a massive Lego set in the waiting room. I'd make all these massive sculptures and I would be so happy. Pure unadulterated happiness. :D
Old October 19th, 2012, 03:26 PM
Kura
vimeo.com/67501143

Nature: Serious
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Kura
I must be the only person who didn't care for legos
Old October 19th, 2012, 03:26 PM
Frostweaver
Ancient + Prehistoric

No really, Lego is much more awesome than Minecraft if you ignore the money aspect. Like, which is more awesome... I honestly think that the reason why toys fade out in favor of apps and whatnot on computers is because digital entertainment cost less and doesn't take up so much space.

This is cool and all...

But THIS is epic!
Old October 19th, 2012, 03:33 PM
Dakota
ignore the whisper

Nature: Jolly
Send a message via Skype™ to Dakota
I love legos.

Unless I step on them
Old October 19th, 2012, 09:47 PM
Mr. X
Oops
Community Supporter

Nature: Quiet
Been over 6 hours since the last post in this thread.

I R disappoint.

I've always wanted to get a Lego Mindstorm set.

Come play Runescape
Old October 19th, 2012, 09:59 PM
#isthenumbersign

Nature: Sassy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Cat Dog View Post
The biggest memory that I have of Lego actually involves the doctors' office. While I had Lego as a kid, I can always remember really liking going to the doctors either as a patient, or accompanying my mother/brother/father, because there was a massive Lego set in the waiting room. I'd make all these massive sculptures and I would be so happy. Pure unadulterated happiness. :D
Haha same with me! I'd always be sad when they called me in because I'd have to disassemble my awesome creations.
Old October 19th, 2012, 10:14 PM
Team Fail
The fine line between in|sanity
Community Supporter

Nature: Brave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. X View Post
Been over 6 hours since the last post in this thread.

I R disappoint.

I've always wanted to get a Lego Mindstorm set.
The Mindstorm sets are really fun. We used them in Robotics 10 and 20, and we get to program them in Robotics 30 using pure C.

The set I have was a Lego Hero Factory set. It's pretty cool too.

Pairs:
Kevin, Echidna
Follow me on Twitter! @TeamFail
Alt 1, リザードン
Miiverse
Pokémon Hackers Online
Alt 2: Jack Cayman

[04:20.39] <@GoGo> I WILL INSERT WITH PLEASURE
[04:20.45] <@GoGo> shut it Bela

[05:41.55] <Team_Fail> Blue Spider is interesting, but #MEHMasterRace
[05:42.20] <diegoisawesome> Team_Fail: Sounds like a bunch of unmotivated people that still want to try to take over the world
Old October 19th, 2012, 10:54 PM
donavannj
The Melody Pokémon

Quote:
Lmao. Nick you would use something called "Fierce." :P

Old spice is where it's at baby. Denali. 8)
Denali is one of their better scents. I prefer Fiji, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostweaver View Post
No really, Lego is much more awesome than Minecraft if you ignore the money aspect. Like, which is more awesome... I honestly think that the reason why toys fade out in favor of apps and whatnot on computers is because digital entertainment cost less and doesn't take up so much space.

This is cool and all...

But THIS is epic!
That Lego stuff is quite impressive. There's also the fact that they require considerably more physical dexterity and flexibility to make that stuff without breaking it accidentally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kura View Post
I must be the only person who didn't care for legos
Nah. I enjoyed them, but I know of a person or two who wasn't really interested in them as a kid.
Old October 19th, 2012, 11:30 PM
Ausaudriel
Chief Mechanic

Man I loved legos. I was especially obsessed with the Star Wars Episode I legos when they came out. :D I remember my friends and I would build different planets and have big wars. I always got Naboo because I thought it was pretty haha.
Old October 19th, 2012, 11:42 PM
Ice Car
Booted out - don't be like me!

I don't know if this is considered off topic or not, but I can't say I like the way the Chat Thread is on this forum. I realize you can't have everyone changing the topic every post, but I find it extremely difficult to jump in and just talk about the topic at hand. It's usually something I can't really talk about and it's less of a chat thread, but more of a discussion about a topic. I don't even think that made sense, but whatever.

It's easier to jump in and more free-form if you can change the topic whenever you want or whenever you feel appropriate, or just post something and if the topic changes, it will, but if it doesn't, oh well.

(This is probably going to get deleted for being off-topic. Bleh.)
Old October 19th, 2012, 11:45 PM
Ausaudriel
Chief Mechanic

No, you're fine. I understand what you're saying and I agree to an extent, but that's one of the reasons why we have clubs. They're like separate DCC threads for individual topics and they're less hectic than DCC.

The problem with not having a rule about changing the subject is that if we didn't have it, we'd have a whole bunch of different people holding a dozen different conversations and it'd be way too hard to keep track of. :/
Old October 19th, 2012, 11:56 PM
Ice Car

Quote:
No, you're fine. I understand what you're saying and I agree to an extent, but that's one of the reasons why we have clubs. They're like separate DCC threads for individual topics and they're less hectic than DCC.

The problem with not having a rule about changing the subject is that if we didn't have it, we'd have a whole bunch of different people holding a dozen different conversations and it'd be way too hard to keep track of. :/
I see where you're coming from. I have a thread like this on another forum but it's a lot more bearable because it's much more of a secret club where all the regulars (just a small group of forum veterans, pretty much) just hang out and watch and laugh at the rest of the forum, whereas here I can see why.

I've also never really checked out clubs because it seems like a real hassle to join and there doesn't seem to be much purpose to joining other than the novelty of having joined a club.
Old October 19th, 2012, 11:58 PM
Morkula
Play the Game

You can talk with people who share the same interests and/or mindset as you though - I think that's the main draw of joining a club.

Also, on the old topic, I loved Legos as a kid but I didn't have that many. They were/are so freaking expensive. :|

paired with cherrim ~ big brother of arago
4p games ~ 4p forums ~ backloggery ~ twitter
Old October 20th, 2012, 12:03 AM
Ice Car

I was going to post about how I was totally ****ed going against the Elite Four with my current team, but don't even know what kind of club that would fall under anyway. Or thread of any kind. :/
Old October 20th, 2012, 02:36 AM
shenanigans
boom boom boom

Regarding lego...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Car
I don't know if this is considered off topic or not, but I can't say I like the way the Chat Thread is on this forum. I realize you can't have everyone changing the topic every post, but I find it extremely difficult to jump in and just talk about the topic at hand. It's usually something I can't really talk about and it's less of a chat thread, but more of a discussion about a topic. I don't even think that made sense, but whatever.

It's easier to jump in and more free-form if you can change the topic whenever you want or whenever you feel appropriate, or just post something and if the topic changes, it will, but if it doesn't, oh well.

(This is probably going to get deleted for being off-topic. Bleh.)
As Audy said, if we didn't have the rule then the conversation would get really disrupted and this'd end up turning into more a "Post Your Thoughts Right Now!" thread than anything else. The fact that the topic does change in this thread kinda goes to show that it's free-form, though. I definitely get where you're coming from and it's unfortunate that you find it hard to jump into the conversations here but it's for the best that we don't allow random topic changes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Car
I've also never really checked out clubs because it seems like a real hassle to join and there doesn't seem to be much purpose to joining other than the novelty of having joined a club.
From what I remember having joined like... a club, all I had to do was fill in a short form with my name, what I liked in particular about the subject the club discusses, and a couple of other things which idr now and that was it. I guess, if you only see the novelty of joining a club, then just think of it as a really big discussion rather than a club. Maybe you'll find you get more out of it approaching it that way.

Last edited by shenanigans; October 20th, 2012 at 02:51 AM.
Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here