Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Off-Topic Discussions > General Chat

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

General Chat Reporting for duty!

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old November 27th, 2012 (08:02 AM).
Spartacus
There's always a choice
Community Supporter

Nature: Jolly
Ultimately, however, it's all down to the driver. I don't think a driver who hasn't got that much experience on the road would be texting whilst driving. People who drive know the consequences of what could happen so it's pretty much a 'do it at your own risk' kinda thing. To ban texting while driving would cause a lot of arguments and protests. I mean, people could have a good reason for texting whilst driving, maybe a family emergency or something in that category.

Why is texting underlined in red? Is it not a word still?
Old November 27th, 2012 (09:17 AM).
Esper

If it's an emergency then they can just pull over and text. Or call. I don't know why you'd text someone in an emergency when talking is so much more useful.

deviantart blog pair
Old November 27th, 2012 (09:39 AM).
Shiny Celebi
Donator Tier 3
Community Supporter Tier 3

In most cases people's calls/texts while driving are far from emergencies. My sister has a habit of texting her friends while driving, next time I see her do it, Im throwing her phone in the back seat. Im not gonna let her get us into a car crash that way, she can wait to talk to her friends. I think some people just have this thing where if they get a call/text they think they need to respond right away or else.
Old November 27th, 2012 (09:54 AM).
Esper

People definitely have that thing where they feel they need to respond to texts. I see it all the time and more than once people have almost run into me because they weren't looking where they were walking.

deviantart blog pair
Old November 27th, 2012 (10:51 AM).
Kura
twitter.com/kuraberrym

Nature: Serious
Are you kidding me? If it's an emergency you use bluetooth or you put your blinkers on and pull over. There is NO excuse for potentially harming others around you because you are not paying full attention to the road and your surroundings!
Old November 27th, 2012 (10:52 AM).
Elite Overlord LeSabre™
Classic Elegance
Community Supporter

Nature: Quirky
My mom doesn't respond to texts while driving, but she will do it most any other time... in the store, while eating dinner, in the bathroom, etc... it can be annoying when she feels the need to interrupt a meal just to reply to a text.

If i was riding in a car and the driver wanted to text, I'd probably take their phone away too. And I'd have my phone off (or better yet, leave it at home) when I'm on the road.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™
PC Vital Stats
* Pair
* PC Family
* Bishies
* VG Claims
* Friend Codes

Links
* Blog
* Web Site
* Fan Fictions:
* Leaf Green LP

Picture credit: Apple Cakes on deviantArt
Old November 27th, 2012 (11:50 AM).
Spartacus
There's always a choice
Community Supporter

Yeah, me bringing up emergency was the brightest idea, didn't really think that one through.

To be fair, where I live you don't see too many people texting whilst driving, only at traffic lights. I definitely wouldn't text if I was driving, especially if I was driving a LeSabre.

In my house we aren't allowed to text or call someone whilst eating unless it is an important call, even in those situations we leave it unless it really is massively important.
Old November 27th, 2012 (12:19 PM).
Frostweaver
Ancient + Prehistoric

Nature: Calm
Well the way I see it, hands-free phone isn't all that much different than the driver talking to his/her passengers in the car. No one complains about chatting with passengers, so on that regards it's almost the same, as long as it's a hands-free of course. Holding the phone is a totally different matter. As long as your eyes are on the road and you have your hands free, it should be fine.

random note: 4 hours until my statistics lab exam... ;_;
Old November 27th, 2012 (01:02 PM).
Oryx
CoquettishCat
Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
Omg jealous of people with family dinners that are actual family time. I don't think we even have a dining room table...

Theme * Pair * VM * PM

Not all men...

Are all men stupid?

That's right.

Old November 27th, 2012 (01:30 PM).
Sora
The Idealist Pokémon

Nature: Gentle
We only have family dinners during special holidays. Otherwise it's just 'grab your meal and go back to whatever it is you're doing'
Old November 27th, 2012 (01:53 PM).
Spartacus
There's always a choice
Community Supporter

We have family dinners every day, and I can't really imagine us not to until I move out. It doesn't feel right just grabbin' a meal and taking it elsewhere. Family dinners is when we sit down and discuss things going on in life and we actually get a lot sorted out during family meal time.
Old November 27th, 2012 (02:05 PM).
Elite Overlord LeSabre™
Classic Elegance
Community Supporter

Back at home we still have family dinners... way too early for me. I like living on my own since I can set dinner time for a time that works for me. I never did like the stuff we talked about at the dinner table... mostly news and politics related stuff that I was completely out of the loop about.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™
PC Vital Stats
* Pair
* PC Family
* Bishies
* VG Claims
* Friend Codes

Links
* Blog
* Web Site
* Fan Fictions:
* Leaf Green LP

Picture credit: Apple Cakes on deviantArt
Old November 27th, 2012 (02:11 PM).
Harley Quinn
Community Supporter

Family dinners??????? In my family, no matter what occasion, the kids get their meals and eat away from the adults, lol. Stress levels would be too high otherwise.
Old November 27th, 2012 (03:48 PM).
TRIFORCE89
Guide of Darkness
Community Supporter

Nature: Quiet
Quote originally posted by Toujours:
Omg jealous of people with family dinners that are actual family time. I don't think we even have a dining room table...
We technically have a dining room, but there's no dining room table.

We eat our meals as a family at the kitchen table though
Old November 27th, 2012 (05:01 PM).
Squirrel
This'll be a blast!
Community Supporter

I used to love family dinners because they always meant great food, roasts are just the best. But haven't had one in a very long time, everyone in the family is too busy I guess... It's a shame really, but guess it can't be helped. Roast pork though omg.
Old November 27th, 2012 (05:19 PM).
Shiny Celebi
Donator Tier 3

Family dinners are nice.Last one was Thanksgiving, roast turkey, stuffing, etc(yum). Roasts are so good. Having Roast Beef for Christmas dinner :D
Old November 27th, 2012 (09:54 PM).
Patchisou Yutohru
Community Supporter

I have eaten probably 99.99% of my meals (when I'm home) in front of a computer for the past five years. Family dinners are virtually non-existant in my house and the last time I remember eating as a family was when my dad decided to be a healthier eater and cooked this really healthy dinner. It lasted like a week and then everything went back to normal and he went back to fish sticks and things that you can toss in the oven.
Old November 27th, 2012 (11:09 PM).
Spartacus
There's always a choice
Community Supporter

The only times I don't eat a family dinner is when my parents' fly out somewhere and me and my sis are home alone.

But yeah, life would be really weird without no family meals for us...
Old November 28th, 2012 (12:45 AM).
Alinthea
James Sunderland
Community Supporter

Nature: Lax
Quote originally posted by Patchisou Yutohru:
I have eaten probably 99.99% of my meals (when I'm home) in front of a computer for the past five years. Family dinners are virtually non-existant in my house and the last time I remember eating as a family was when my dad decided to be a healthier eater and cooked this really healthy dinner. It lasted like a week and then everything went back to normal and he went back to fish sticks and things that you can toss in the oven.
:(

When I am at my parents house, we will eat around the table and chat, since I am not home much. When I am in my flat, I will eat on my desk where my TV and computer and Laptop are, because I am normally talk to Kura or watch something! :3
Old November 28th, 2012 (03:24 AM).
Cosmotone8
silhouette of the past

Location: Boston, MA, USA, Earth, Sun Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Nature: Careful
It depends on the night for me. My dad works very late hours sometimes, so when that happens we'll normally just eat wherever/whenever. When he's home though, we all chat around the table. :)
But the more I try to move on, the more I feel alone
So I watch the summer stars to lead me home.

Old November 28th, 2012 (05:32 AM).
Kanto_Johto
Never glimpse the truth

Nature: Bold
Eating around the table will happen more often for me when I go back home to my family for the holidays. It doesn't usually happen with my uni housemates since we never have enough time and usually cook our own individual meals.
Old November 28th, 2012 (07:22 AM).
shenanigans
i am so proud of you

Family meals were definitely never a thing for me. They've been more so than ever since I've been living with people for the last year and a bit but they're still a kinda alien concept for me, and for... 16 or so years I think I could count on one hand the number of 'family meals' (or, honestly, family anything) which we had haha. The closest I ever get is eating with my flatmates and even that doesn't happen very often.
Old November 28th, 2012 (10:05 AM).
Livewire
The Young Wolf

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Skype™ to Livewire
We kinda grew out of the family dinner thing the older my brother's and I got. Now we really only do the traditional sit down dinner for the holidays and such.

HOUSE STARK
BS | D&D | PM | VM
Old November 28th, 2012 (10:17 AM).
Shiny Celebi
Donator Tier 3

I do enjoy family dinners over the holidays. We used to always have family dinners when I was growing up, but we stopped. The older I got the more awkward they became.
Old November 28th, 2012 (11:36 AM).
Mr Cat Dog
It takes a lot to make a stew

Nature: Relaxed
My dad likes to have family dinners when all four of us (me, my brother and my my parents) are together, for whatever occasion. The rest of my family, on the other hand, couldn't really give two figs about them. We'll entertain him on a random Sunday, and at Christmas, but that's about it. Given that my brother and I have long since moved out of home, they're a very rare event in general, and not all that common when we do return for whatever reason.

Sponsored Links