The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Entertainment & Hobbies > Fan Clubs & Groups

Notices

Fan Clubs & Groups Fan Clubs & Groups are places to go to find like-minded members and talk about similar interests. Join or create a club here if it doesn't fit in any of the other sections.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Advertise here

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old April 3rd, 2013, 11:45 PM
Cherrim
the blossom pokémon

Nature: Relaxed

Advertise here
Am I the only one who isn't ready for winter to be over? I can't stand spring. Mud and I don't get along, so I'd much rather snow coat the ground or the ground stay frozen/frosted enough that I don't sink into it when I walk. I could stop taking my shortcut through the park on my way home and stick to sidewalks but that adds on a whole 3 minutes to my walk. I was kinda happy today that it snowed again, even if a fair amount of it melted by the end of the day. :P

...I'm genuinely curious whether we'll talk about the weather as much over the summer once it's not cold anymore. For being a winter country, we sure like whining about snow a lot. It's the topic on like every page here haha.

previously known as lightning.
tumblrtwitter

Old April 4th, 2013, 12:02 AM
Kanzler
スペースディスコ ��82.
Community Supporter

What I love about Canada is that nobody lives here. I walk on the road a lot, especially if it's not a major one. Cars can move into the left hand lane if they want to.

Edit: are you at Waterloo for university?

Last edited by Kanzler; April 4th, 2013 at 12:03 AM. Reason: :P
Old April 4th, 2013, 12:21 AM
Brendino
Hold your breath. Make a wish. Count to three.
Community Supporter

Nature: Quiet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightning
Am I the only one who isn't ready for winter to be over? I can't stand spring. Mud and I don't get along, so I'd much rather snow coat the ground or the ground stay frozen/frosted enough that I don't sink into it when I walk. I could stop taking my shortcut through the park on my way home and stick to sidewalks but that adds on a whole 3 minutes to my walk. I was kinda happy today that it snowed again, even if a fair amount of it melted by the end of the day.

...I'm genuinely curious whether we'll talk about the weather as much over the summer once it's not cold anymore. For being a winter country, we sure like whining about snow a lot. It's the topic on like every page here haha.
Like I keep saying, it's almost as if Vancouver is isolated from the rest of Canada by the Rockies, since we never seem to get winter (although, it did randomly snow outside for about an hour last week, even though it was 7° out). As it is, it got as warm as 20° here on Easter, and had been hovering just below that until today. Again, if anyone's tired of their cold weather, just tell Old Man Winter to ship some out west next year, please and thank you.

And I'm sure that we'll keep talking about the weather well into summer, but maybe we'll just do it in French.

"Il était beau et chaud à l'extérieur aujourd'hui."
Old April 4th, 2013, 12:36 AM
Kanzler
スペースディスコ ��82.
Community Supporter

Are there really lots of Chinese people in Vancouver? I've never been in town, just at the airport stopping over. How does it compare to Toronto?
Old April 4th, 2013, 12:59 AM
Brendino
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlahISuck View Post
Are there really lots of Chinese people in Vancouver? I've never been in town, just at the airport stopping over. How does it compare to Toronto?
I've never been to Toronto, so I'm not quite sure how it compares, but yeah, Vancouver does have quite a large Asian population (Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Filipino, East Indian, etc.). It's actually one of the things I find fascinating about being here- having such a broad range of ethnicities living in and around the city. My work is a good example; of the ~70 people working there, we've got people born in 11 different countries excluding Canada itself.

On that topic (and to maybe get away from all the weather talk), I'm curious as to how many people here were born outside of Canada? And if you were born here, where were some of the past generations of your family born? Seeing as how multicultural the country seems to be, I expect we might get a wide variety of answers.
Old April 4th, 2013, 04:52 AM
TRIFORCE89
Guide of Darkness

I was born here and my parents were born here. My grandparents, on both sides, were not.
Old April 4th, 2013, 05:01 AM
LilJz
Zoeeyyyyy! ♥
Community Supporter

I'm the first generation of my family that's been born in Canada, lol. My mom's side of the family were all born in Philippines except for two of my cousins who are like 6 years old and 3 months old. My dad's side of the family is like me, all their kids are born here and their age are like mines 13 to 20ish~
Old April 4th, 2013, 09:26 AM
Cherrim
the blossom pokémon

Quote:
Edit: are you at Waterloo for university?
Yup. :3
Quote:
There are because that's the closest spot for them back when a lot of families immigrated here. We invited a lot of Chinese to help work on the railroad before Canada got kind of antsy about Asians for a while. As far as our history goes, we weren't very nice to Asians and definitely didn't prefer them over white immigrants. :( That's obviously changed since the past but I think that's still the reason there's such a large population of Chinese/Japanese over there. I don't remember the city well enough to draw a comparison to Toronto, though. I don't think it's as "segregated" though... in that the Asian population is very spread out in the Vancouver area rather than Toronto where the bulk of it is focussed in Markham or... I guess the Chinatown area?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendino View Post
On that topic (and to maybe get away from all the weather talk), I'm curious as to how many people here were born outside of Canada? And if you were born here, where were some of the past generations of your family born? Seeing as how multicultural the country seems to be, I expect we might get a wide variety of answers.
The only one of my grandparents who wasn't born in Canada was born in England. Everyone else was born here. I think my background is mainly Scottish, though I know there's some aboriginal in there because my Grandmother (or someone along her line) was Métis.

I dunno, my family's been here so long that I don't consider my background to be anything but Canadian. I'm so fuzzy on the details and I only know where the one grandfather and the ancestor carrying my last name came from so I don't really relate with any other countries. :P

previously known as lightning.
tumblrtwitter

Old April 4th, 2013, 10:24 AM
Kanzler
スペースディスコ ��82.
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendino View Post
Chinese immigrant here! Moved over at the tender age of 3. I can still speak mandarin decently well, so my cultural heritage hasn't been obliterated from assimilation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightning View Post
I don't remember the city well enough to draw a comparison to Toronto, though. I don't think it's as "segregated" though... in that the Asian population is very spread out in the Vancouver area rather than Toronto where the bulk of it is focussed in Markham or... I guess the Chinatown area?
It is decently segregated so much that for 10 years of my life I forgot white people existed . But seriously, I lived in Agincourt (Cantonese/South Asian), hung out in Markham (Chinese) and Malvern (South Asian/Black). And then I started commuting downtown for university. The effect is magnified because I don't think white people take public transit as much as they're represented in the population (1 in 10 in Agincourt, I got the numbers), probably because immigrants are poorer as a whole? But there is some mixing going on within our minority dominated neighbourhoods as well. My next-door neighbour is Japanese, the house across from me is Italian, there's both Tamils and Indians, and I played basketball with Black and an Egyptian dude. All on the same little residential street. I think that's a pretty good showing

U of T sucks for student life. We're all study robots lol but nobody really cares.
Old April 4th, 2013, 12:02 PM
TRIFORCE89
Guide of Darkness

Quote:
There are because that's the closest spot for them back when a lot of families immigrated here. We invited a lot of Chinese to help work on the railroad before Canada got kind of antsy about Asians for a while. As far as our history goes, we weren't very nice to Asians and definitely didn't prefer them over white immigrants. :(
Yup. I think I did a report on that in history class during high school. Japanese internment and stuff.

I think a little bit of every culture has had it rough over here XD Not to the same extent as the above, but the Germans and Italians weren't well liked during WWI and II. Actually, I think they blocked Italian immigrants here at one point too

Quote:
I dunno, my family's been here so long that I don't consider my background to be anything but Canadian. I'm so fuzzy on the details and I only know where the one grandfather and the ancestor carrying my last name came from so I don't really relate with any other countries. :P
I consider my Canadian first. But whenever someone asks and I'll say that, I immediately get a follow up "No, but really what are you?". So, now I just answer "Italian" instead not necessarily because I identify with them more, but whenever I say "Maltese" no one seems to know what I'm talking about XD Just saying Canadian would be much simpler and true, but no one likes that answer :(
Old April 4th, 2013, 12:13 PM
Kanzler
スペースディスコ ��82.
Community Supporter

Wooah Maltese! That's pretty badass. Like Templars right? I think what Canadians come to appreciate is our multiculturalism, so saying "Canadian" is kind of a cop out when they want to learn more about your heritage. I don't remember learning about Japanese internment in history class which is odd. We spent soo much time on the First World War.
Old April 4th, 2013, 01:32 PM
Brendino
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightning
I don't remember the city well enough to draw a comparison to Toronto, though. I don't think it's as "segregated" though... in that the Asian population is very spread out in the Vancouver area rather than Toronto where the bulk of it is focussed in Markham or... I guess the Chinatown area?
That's completely true. We've got larger pockets of different ethnicities in certain areas (Chinese/Koreans in Richmond, South Asians in Surrey), but everyone's pretty spread out amongst each other within the city and it's suburbs.

As for my own question, I always try to avoid answering it, because I've got ancestry coming from all directions, so I don't have a clear answer. All I know is that I'm at least a 3rd generation Canadian for my entire family, and with my grandmother being half-Métis, I guess that pushes it back even further.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRIFORCE89
I consider my Canadian first. But whenever someone asks and I'll say that, I immediately get a follow up "No, but really what are you?". So, now I just answer "Italian" instead not necessarily because I identify with them more, but whenever I say "Maltese" no one seems to know what I'm talking about XD Just saying Canadian would be much simpler and true, but no one likes that answer
I've always just considered myself Canadian, too, since my family's been here so long. If I do get asked my ancestry, though, I always just say Norwegian, since my last name is Norwegian, and my great-grandfather was born there. That, and it sounds a little more interesting than English, French, Scottish, etc.
Old April 4th, 2013, 06:04 PM
DracoStarfall
Ω We fly Sky-High Ω

My great-grandfather on my mother's side came from Spain to the Philippines sometime during the late 1800s (I think). Half my cousins were born here in Canada, but I, with the other half, was born in Manila.

"I go fast. Not because I want to, but because no one else will..." -Mega Salamence by Dragonith
Old April 4th, 2013, 08:10 PM
TRIFORCE89
Guide of Darkness

Malta's smack dab in the middle of the Mediterranean sea and has been invaded by everyone around there XD I'm sure I've got all kind of blood in my background. Even outside of the area... like England had a huge influence when they stopped by for a visit lol. And my grandfather grew up in Egypt.

I'm only second-generation Canadian-born, and a lot of other would probably identify themselves by the parents' heritage when asked, but there's such diversity of cultures on my Mom's side alone, that I'd very much prefer to identify myself as Canadian.
Old April 4th, 2013, 08:25 PM
Kanzler
スペースディスコ ��82.
Community Supporter

Any South Asians? India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka? If there's one Chinese guy, there must be one South Asian for the purposes of representation.
Old April 4th, 2013, 08:36 PM
Yusshin
♪ Yggdrasil ♪

Nature: Brave
My great grandfather came here when there was the potato famine in Scotland. I guess that makes me third generation? :\

Polaret | Fourette | Ecuret | Axew | Zorua | Nanette [Shiny]
"My scar makes me sassy, child!"
The Big Bang Theory Fan Club - Click To Join!
The French Club
Old April 7th, 2013, 12:35 PM
Kanzler
スペースディスコ ��82.
Community Supporter

So Justin Trudeau is about to take on the leadership of the federal Liberal Party. And recent polls show the Conservatives, NDP, and Liberal party polling to be at 31%, 27%, 32%. It's a full two years before elections time, and we've never had one before, but coalition government anyone? I'm very excited to see how the election in 2015 will play out!
Old April 7th, 2013, 07:55 PM
TRIFORCE89
Guide of Darkness

Quote:
So Justin Trudeau is about to take on the leadership of the federal Liberal Party. And recent polls show the Conservatives, NDP, and Liberal party polling to be at 31%, 27%, 32%. It's a full two years before elections time, and we've never had one before, but coalition government anyone? I'm very excited to see how the election in 2015 will play out!
I'm not overly thrilled that the charismatic substitute drama teacher could become Prime Minister, no.

I was really hoping Mark Carney (our latest Governor of the Bank of Canada) would run for Liberal leadership, and win. And indications were that he would, and then the British came and swept him up before he even ran XD Would have loved to see those debates in 2015. Carney vs. Harper, battle of two economists. Would have voted for him so easily 'cause he aligns much closer to my Red Tory ways than Harper does.

Would have been okay with Marc Garneau too, but he dropped out, or Martha Hall Findlay, but highly unlikely she'll beat the magic that is Justin's last name this week. Don't know if I would have actually voted for them though like I would have Carney, but who knows what'd happen between now and 2015.

Personally, I'm hoping Harper retires come 2015. He'd have been in office nine years by that point, which I think is long enough - good or bad. Hopefully a new leader would keep more to the old Progressive side of the spectrum instead of the restrained Reformer thing that Harper seems to walk. Gah, I dislike this merged party. Honestly, all you people who want an NDP-Liberal merger, you so won't like it if it happens.

Anyway, I like minority governments. Would much prefer that to a coalition of any stripe or combination
Old April 7th, 2013, 09:57 PM
Kanzler
スペースディスコ ��82.
Community Supporter

What's wrong with the Conservatives? I'm too young to do a before and after comparison. He did unite the right which was basically his job right? As well as radically transforming Canada's international identity. I recently wrote a term paper about how our party dynamics might look in the future!

Posted from Pokecommunity.com App for Android
Old April 7th, 2013, 11:08 PM
Brendino
Community Supporter

I try not to follow politics too much as I find my opinions fall all over the place on the political spectrum, but I'm not sure I'm sold on Justin Trudeau as the next leader of the Liberal Party, either. If his name were anything other than Trudeau, I'm sure he wouldn't have even bothered running for party leadership. He seems to be a good guy with a bright future ahead, but I don't know if I'd want him to be the potential Prime Minister just yet. He's only been in politics for a few years, so I would've wanted to gain a little more experience if I were him.

As for any sort of coalition government taking over, it could be possible if the Conservatives earn a minority government again in 2015, but I've always felt that more gets done with a minority government, rather than bills getting passed that just benefit the views of one party. Again, anything's possible since it very nearly happened in 2008, but I'm guessing the party supportership will swing one way or the other by the time October 2015 rolls around.
Old April 13th, 2013, 12:04 PM
Kanzler
スペースディスコ ��82.
Community Supporter

No more coats, no more sweaters, just dressing like we're in Hawaii - it's time to say it, Toronto is now officially in springtime!
Old April 14th, 2013, 07:56 AM
Team Fail
The fine line between in|sanity
Community Supporter

Nature: Brave
Kinda sucks because it snowed here yesterday. And with less than 2 weeks until my birthday, the weather isn't looking too great. :c

Pairs:
Kevin, Echidna
Follow me on Twitter! @TeamFail
Alt 1, リザードン
Miiverse
Pokémon Hackers Online
Alt 2: Jack Cayman

[04:20.39] <@GoGo> I WILL INSERT WITH PLEASURE
[04:20.45] <@GoGo> shut it Bela

[05:41.55] <Team_Fail> Blue Spider is interesting, but #MEHMasterRace
[05:42.20] <diegoisawesome> Team_Fail: Sounds like a bunch of unmotivated people that still want to try to take over the world
Old April 14th, 2013, 08:21 AM
LilJz
Zoeeyyyyy! ♥
Community Supporter

It snowed here 2 days ago too lol. But now like 95% of that snow is gone. I'm quite happy
Old April 14th, 2013, 05:22 PM
Kanzler
スペースディスコ ��82.
Community Supporter

JT is now party leader of the Liberals.
Old April 14th, 2013, 05:46 PM
TRIFORCE89
Guide of Darkness

Quote:
JT is now party leader of the Liberals.
All I can sum it up with is "fuddle duddle".

His father was monumental in shaping and defining Canada's identity (both cultural and otherwise) as a nation. But that's looking back. When he became leader, he was still a smart and qualified individual even before having accomplished anything in office. I can't say the same for his son (well on the qualified side anyway. He's probably still nice, smart, charismatic, and such). He wouldn't be where he is now if it weren't for his last name.

Sponsored Links

Advertise here