The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Entertainment & Hobbies > Fan Clubs & Groups

Notices

Fan Clubs & Groups Fan Clubs & Groups are places to go to find like-minded members and talk about similar interests. Join or create a club here if it doesn't fit in any of the other sections.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old December 10th, 2012, 08:49 PM
Frostweaver
Ancient + Prehistoric

Nature: Calm
Well admittedly there's not a lot of "reason" to visit some of the provinces in Canada... like, unless you have family members there, why would you visit Sasketchewan? @_@; even in Edmonton here, if say a friend from afar visits me, I'll be quite hard pressed to think of some fun places to take them to.
Old December 10th, 2012, 11:13 PM
TRIFORCE89
Guide of Darkness

Nature: Quiet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightning View Post
Coldest it's gotten here so far is -11 with wind chill, I think. It's 3 degrees now. Not too big a deal. I'm getting a bit sick of it because it's so rainy here. I'd much prefer snow instead of rain at this point. :(

It always surprises me how few Canadians actually visit Canadian destinations. :( Even those who travel a lot will go all over the world and never visit the province next door. I get that Canada's huge and you can't get to as many places in one trip as other destinations but Canada's awesome. The only places I haven't been are the territories and the only province I didn't enjoy at all was Manitoba. :P
I really want to go out west and out east and I hope to some day. Let's go on a Canada tour! :P

But, when it comes to family travel for us... eh... Dad travels throughout Canada a lot. He's been to all the provinces many times over. He's somewhere just about every week. I think going elsewhere is more desirable to him as a vacation because otherwise it might feel more like work? Or something?
Old December 10th, 2012, 11:47 PM
curiousnathan
they said we could be anything

Nature: Brave
I'm not officially joining but I thought this video might amuse you Canadians. :P

Old December 11th, 2012, 01:25 PM
Frostweaver
Ancient + Prehistoric

Nature: Calm
I guess THIS is why we Albertans are always called the rednecks of Canada or something... feels like some good intention going horribly wrong and forgetting all about practicality and real life difficulties.
Old December 16th, 2012, 10:25 AM
Cosmotone8
silhouette of the past

Location: Boston, MA, USA, Earth, Sun Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Nature: Careful
Every time that I mention that I'm Canadian here in the states, there are two things that come up: 1) Ugh, Canada spawned Justin Beiber, how do you live there? and 2) How is it possible to live there when there's always three feet of snow on the ground, even in the summer? XD
But the more I try to move on, the more I feel alone
So I watch the summer stars to lead me home.

Old December 16th, 2012, 11:27 AM
TRIFORCE89
Guide of Darkness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmotone8 View Post
Every time that I mention that I'm Canadian here in the states, there are two things that come up: 1) Ugh, Canada spawned Justin Beiber, how do you live there? and 2) How is it possible to live there when there's always three feet of snow on the ground, even in the summer? XD
I think Bieber is more their problem now
Old December 16th, 2012, 12:28 PM
Team Fail
See that, Aster?
Community Supporter

Quote:
Easiest solution: Take a photo of the Parliament building in the middle of summer.

You are challenged by Lorekeeper Zinnia!
Pairs | Twitter | Alt | Alt II | PHO
Old December 16th, 2012, 12:47 PM
Cosmotone8
silhouette of the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Fail View Post
Easiest solution: Take a photo of the Parliament building in the middle of summer.
I've done similar things like this and people are shocked every time I show them, lol. People here are so oblivious to various different cultures its kinda funny.

Old December 16th, 2012, 03:17 PM
LilJz
This is how we do!
Community Supporter

As anyone seen the picture with Justin Bieber with Stephen Harper?

He meets the most important person in Canada and yet, he dresses up worse than a farmer. Way to set the canadian image Bieber -.-
Old December 16th, 2012, 11:45 PM
Brendino
Oh good grief.

Quote:
I've done similar things like this and people are shocked every time I show them, lol. People here are so oblivious to various different cultures its kinda funny.
Having talked with a couple of Americans before, it's always interesting to hear what they actually know and think about Canada. Kind of on that point, my friend showed me this video, and while I'm sure not everybody is like that, it's funny to know how clueless some Americans actually are (Rick Mercer from CBC also did a one-hour special a few years ago called "Talking to Americans," which is good for some laughs if you get the chance to watch it).

(reduced activity through december, poke me if you need me)
Old December 17th, 2012, 10:07 AM
LilJz
This is how we do!
Community Supporter

It's always funny to see how Americans think they know so much about Canada, when most of the stuffs they know about Canada are false xD

Anyways, since Christmas is coming to a close, does the scenery look like it's Christmas time? I remember 4 years ago, snow didn't fall until New Year's. We had a green Christmas at that time

So here's how Montreal looks like right now

Spoiler:
Old December 17th, 2012, 10:14 AM
TRIFORCE89
Guide of Darkness

No snow over here

Which is both good and sad at the same time
Old December 17th, 2012, 11:54 AM
Cosmotone8
silhouette of the past

Its raining here in Boston atm, though I wish it were snowing. We haven't had a white Christmas in a few years now.
Here's that Mercer video btw. I found it hysterical. xD
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BhTZ_tgMUdo

Old December 17th, 2012, 12:25 PM
TRIFORCE89
Guide of Darkness

I brought Talking to Americans to class once in elementary school. I think we used it the social studies class XD
Old December 18th, 2012, 01:43 PM
Brendino
Oh good grief.

Finally got some snow here this morning/afternoon, after about a month of just 2-5 degrees and rain. Granted, I wish it would have waited until tomorrow since I don't have to go to work, but I'll take it over the rain and wind any day.

Old December 18th, 2012, 04:22 PM
LilJz
This is how we do!
Community Supporter

We got heavy snow plus some rain. Ugly weather right now haha.
Old December 20th, 2012, 01:36 PM
Cosmotone8
silhouette of the past

It has actually started to snow in some parts of the area here... But still none where I live.
Alright, new topic:
If you had to design a Canadian bill/coin, what would it look like and how much would it be worth?

Old December 20th, 2012, 06:05 PM
LilJz
This is how we do!
Community Supporter

Yellow-ish. And it would have Prince William's face on it. (Since he's the next in line for the throne )

I would also give it a 20$.

So it would basically replace the 20$ of his mother.
Old December 20th, 2012, 09:06 PM
Brendino
Oh good grief.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilJz1234 View Post
Yellow-ish. And it would have Prince William's face on it. (Since he's the next in line for the throne )

I would also give it a 20$.

So it would basically replace the 20$ of his mother.
Close, but Prince Charles is next in line (Queen Elizabeth is William's grandmother, not mom). It'll be weird to see his face on all of the coins when the time finally comes instead of the Queen- who's been on them for the last 60 years.

If I could design one piece of currency, I'd choose a specialty 50 cent coin. On the front would be something related to Manitoba (maybe a buffalo or something), with Louis Riel's face on the back. Personally I think it would be cool to have it, as I would be his fourth or fifth cousin if he were alive today.

Old December 20th, 2012, 09:25 PM
LilJz
This is how we do!
Community Supporter

Oh oops sorry grandmother lmao. Didn't realize I typed mother instead xD

I always thought Prince William was the heir to the throne :O
Old December 21st, 2012, 06:48 AM
Cosmotone8
silhouette of the past

Welcome to the club! :3 I like your username.
I'm not sure who/what would be on my coin, but it would be made out of bronze and would be worth $3.00.

Old December 21st, 2012, 10:10 AM
LilJz
This is how we do!
Community Supporter

Pierre Elliot Trudeau was simply awesome as a Prime Minister, had such a charisma to the people of Canada too. No one can deny it

Also sometimes during the summer when family relatives come and visit Montreal, we would go to the Mont. Royal, for some sightseeing. And while we're there we pass the house of where Pierre Trudeau used to live in
Old December 21st, 2012, 10:42 AM
Team Fail
See that, Aster?
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilJz1234 View Post
Pierre Elliot Trudeau was simply awesome as a Prime Minister, had such a charisma to the people of Canada too. No one can deny it :)

Also sometimes during the summer when family relatives come and visit Montreal, we would go to the Mont. Royal, for some sightseeing. And while we're there we pass the house of where Pierre Trudeau used to live in :)
We had to do an essay on him last year in Social based on the FLQ crisis. I also remember we had an extensive discussion on his one line: "Just watch me."

You are challenged by Lorekeeper Zinnia!
Pairs | Twitter | Alt | Alt II | PHO
Old December 22nd, 2012, 12:30 PM
TRIFORCE89
Guide of Darkness

I'm a bit mixed on Prime Minister Trudeau. I think he was terrific Canadian with a lasting impact on the nation. Extremely influential and central to where we are today as Canadians. He successfully improved Canada's standing in the world, both transformed and defined Canada's values, and established the Charter of Rights and Freedoms and the constitution -for which all Canadians should be proud and thankful.

But he also tanked the economy and left a massive debt. And while not the blame of the recession in the early '80s (that was global), I wouldn't say the country weathered it well under him either. And then to account for the inflation caused, the Bank of Canada had to raise interest rates (several times) which then compounded the debt under Mulroney (not helpful when trying to combat another global recession) and Chrétien's beginning. Didn't really come out of all of it until Chrétien and Martin took over in the '90s.

Two lasting legacies; one good and one not-so-good. I do appreciate what he did socially long-term for the country though. But, I think that's only one side of the coin.

---

That aside, on the currency topic above. I'm so not looking forward to having Prince Charles' mug on our coins lol
Old December 22nd, 2012, 12:38 PM
LilJz
This is how we do!
Community Supporter

It would definetely be a change for us Canadians seeing a different face rather than Queen Elizabeth's on our coins lmao.

I wonder, will they keep Queen Elizabeth's face on the 20$ bill or will they change that one too? Because the other bills got faces of people who are already deceased.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links