The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Discussions > Pokémon General

Notices

Pokémon General Theories, experiences and other discussions regarding the Pokémon franchise that can't be covered in any of the other boards.
Feel like talking about Pokémon manga? Check this out! Want to discuss and share Pokémon music and videos? Click here!

Advertise here

Old April 26th, 2013, 04:20 PM
SnorlaxTho
Unhatched Egg

Advertise here
I just wanna know your guys' opinion on the hardest gym leader you've ever played against. I think it was Whitney because of her Miltank. That was a deadly duo. What do you guys think? Roll Tide
Old April 26th, 2013, 04:43 PM
GrayJM9
Playing White 2

Nature: Bold
I know recently I had trouble against Roxie because I didn't train anything but my Servine .
Old April 27th, 2013, 12:09 AM
Pokedude3012
Slayer of Milotics

Nature: Jolly
Whitney's Miltank was real annoying. Having trained (at that point) only a quilava and dratini. After spending months getting its health down, Whitney would just use a moomoo milk. She used three in total, and the battle lasted around 10 minutes
Old April 28th, 2013, 02:53 AM
Talli
Prince of the Ninja tribe

Nature: Naughty
Sabrina in fist gen because Psychic types were broken..Whitney was just annoying but Sabrina was just an nightmare in first gen.
Old April 28th, 2013, 03:42 AM
xGal
du bist n00b

Nature: Bold
Tate & Liza in emerald. That stupid overpowered earthquake... NIGHTMARE.

Also, if you ever wanted to make a ROM hacking tool, click here: http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=334348
Old April 28th, 2013, 04:27 AM
WooliestSteam
A Little Wooly Piece of Steam
Community Supporter

Whitney's Miltank everytime, that Miltank was so OP it was ridiculous. She would just constantly spam 'Rollout' all the time, dealing a ton of damage, not to mention the defense of her Miltank was pretty bloody high as well.

And then she cried when you beat her .....
Old April 28th, 2013, 07:35 AM
PlatinumDude
Nyeh?
Community Supporter

Nature: Hasty
Send a message via Yahoo to PlatinumDude Send a message via Skype™ to PlatinumDude
Like the above, Whitney's Miltank. It was too strong at that point in the game and even had a recovery move to make things more frustrating. I also had a hard time with Wallace/Juan, mainly because of Milotic.

Old April 28th, 2013, 09:11 AM
Bestwaffles

I never seemed to have too many problems with Whitney's Miltank, but I always hated the Psychic gyms, particularly Sabrina in Gen 1 (Broken Psychic types!) and Tate and Liza were a pain too!

FireRed, Crystal, Sapphire,
Diamond 0/8, White, X

The Ones that Got Away: 1/16

Current B-I-N-G-O Challenge:
Grass Monotype - Sapphire 5/8
Old April 28th, 2013, 10:09 AM
Sweets Witch
I just love ham jerky.

Nature: Adamant
Clair's Kingdra would stomp me at every chance when I was younger, but now it's all about Liza & Tate. I always have trouble with them for some reason or another and it's made me hate their entire city.
Old April 28th, 2013, 10:56 PM
Brendino
#fpt2014

Nature: Quiet
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayJM9
I know recently I had trouble against Roxie because I didn't train anything but my Servine .
I had this trouble too, even though I was training my Riolu as well. She's the only Gym Leader I can recall losing to more than once, and it ended up taking me 5 or 6 tries to beat her (mostly because I was too stubborn to level my Pokemon any higher or catch something with a type advantage).

Another Gym Leader I can recall having a little trouble with was Clair. I didn't lose to her, but he did manage to knock out half my party with her Kingdra alone.
Old April 28th, 2013, 11:01 PM
Hikamaru
the hamster
Community Supporter

Nature: Quirky
Clair. Oh god she was so strong and I didn't have much that can deal with Dragon-types easily. I eventually won by luck using an underleveled Dewgong.

Fantina in Platinum comes close because I recall losing to her once before eventually beating her. It's that Mismagius of hers, she has such wide type coverage!

paired with awolfsquared and Starry Windy
battle server | tumblr | profile | credit | supporter

Old April 29th, 2013, 12:26 PM
KnightFerrocous
Unhatched Egg

As said above Whitney with her cheating Miltank. She kept Stomping my Gastly ;_;. I only beat her by suicide Cursing her with Gastly and waiting it out with a Geodude.

Every time I play through Emerald I always stumble at Winona because of Skarmory stopping my Rock Tomb spam and Altaria being just a pain at that level.

In my most recent play through of Emerald Wattson has been the bane of my existence but that is just because my party has no ground types and he just goes hurr durr Shock Wave and one or two shots my whole party. That'll teach me for trying to play a Swampertless play through.
Old April 29th, 2013, 12:57 PM
Tim!
Togepi

I had quite a lot of problems with Whitney, Watson (when Treecko was my starter) and Tate & Liza.
Hard to say who I "hated" the most to battle with: Whitney or Tate & Liza.
Gym Badges: 8/8
E4: 0/5
Pokémon:, , , , ,

Completed challenges

Medieval Time Warp Challenge @ Sapphire
Old April 29th, 2013, 03:37 PM
TheTwilitTrainer

Nature: Quiet
I've only played B&W so YAY no comments about Miltank! (jk guys, I'm sure it's just as annoying as you say.)

Elesa, until I discovered Rock Slide in Drilbur's move-set. Right now I'd say Lenora... that goshdang Herdier and Watchog with Retaliate... *Grumblegrumble*140 attack power if a fellow party member fainted last turn*Grumblegrumble*

My safari is Swalot, Gloom, Drapion
FC: 1220-6775-9793
Old April 29th, 2013, 05:15 PM
Jigglymilk
Awakening The Blade

Nature: Sassy
Ugh. CLAIR. If you have a high level Jynx+choice specs+blizzard, she can be a cake walk. However, challenging her without an ice type is a fate worse than death! Whitney is pretty tough too. And Blue. There were a lot of tough leaders in gen 2 lol.
Old April 29th, 2013, 05:26 PM
zdude18
Lone Wolf

Nature: Relaxed
i agree with most of the previous. i had the most trouble with whitney, clair, fantina, and for me, pryce. even though i had typhlosion his piloswine kept KOing my team with earthquake.
White 2: 3397 3474 0556
Old April 29th, 2013, 06:46 PM
lmcde22

i hated fighting Tate and Liza. Even with a Swampert and Mightena it was bloody impossible!!!! they should definately not be allowed to use earthquake. btw did everyone else know that Tate is a boy????????? i only found out yesterday and that blew my mind. i always thought he was a chick.... wth?
Old May 3rd, 2013, 07:02 AM
Warship
異議あり!

it was norman for me. without using protect(which i seldom do) its nearly impossible to defeat his slaking. if you give it a status ailment it retaliates with facade and after defeating it there's another slaking and in my opinion even worse a vigoroth. (since it doesnt have truant.) i beat him in like the 5th try. his emerald party was easier to beat though.
Growlithe - Charmeleon - Braixen
Old May 3rd, 2013, 08:00 AM
trotz59
Professor in-training

Nature: Gentle
Send a message via Skype™ to trotz59
Without a doubt, Brock in Pokemon Yellow (or on the rare occasions that I chose charmander in red and blue but I usually didn't). I didn't really know that you could get Mankey back then so easily, or at least, I never reaized that he could beat Brock. But Brock was just so hard because every move you had without Mankey (starting with either pikachu or charmander) even catching all other Pokemon available
At the time, was either not very effective or ineffective; and he had super effective moves to literally every Pokemon other than Mankey

Tate is a boy??????

Info
YouTube: NidoGia
Twitter: trotz59
Tumblr: trotz59 (barely use)
Deviantart: ka-ting (very old, barely updated)
Serebii and Bulbagarden forum accounts: trotz59
Old May 4th, 2013, 08:11 AM
Rϵd
Ahola Bith

Nature: Careful
Oh my god, Whitney, if i ever see that Miltank again, i will selfdesctruct i swear.

Theme | Pairs | PC Battle Server
Old May 4th, 2013, 12:41 PM
OliveCopper
Captain of Olive Kappa

We all have our opinions on tough Gym Leaders. I'm gonna send a long list of hard gym leaders...

Kanto: FireRed/LeafGreen

Spoiler:
If you did not choose Bulbasaur as a Starter, Misty is a high qualifier! Both of her Pokemon have to move "Recover" making you almost unable to knock out any of her Pokemon. And worse, you NEED to defeat her in order to access the rest of the Gym Leaders (bar Brock, who is actually easy no matter which starter you choose, and Mankey are readily available on Route 22.) She was not that much of a threat in HG/SS.

Sabrina is also hard in FR/LG, because she uses Psychic-types, and the only weakness of Psychic is Bug-types, but there is a distinctive lack of adequate Bug type moves. Not to mention her Alakazam is a monster! With HG/SS giving access to moves like Bug Buzz, she is actually easier in that game.

If you lack a Water-type, Giovanni is a nightmare, I mean, his Pokémon know Earthquake, which can hit even a Digging foe, and even does more damage when the foe is underground. Bad news, I did not choose Blastoise in either FireRed or LeafGreen.

Johto: HeartGold/SoulSilver

Spoiler:
I would have to agree about Whitney being hard to defeat without Fighting-type Pokemon.

Morty is a nightmare unless you have a Noctowl with Insomnia ability. His Gengar is fast, and knows both Hypnosis and Shadow Ball. We're doomed!

Not to mention the final Gym Leader, Clair. Her Kingdra is a monster, having almost no weakness...

Hoenn: Ruby/Sapphire

Spoiler:
If you chose Treecko, Wattson is definitely on the list. Unless you have a Geodude or Graveler on ya, you're ready for a beating.

Flannery is also hard. Her Slugma are easy to defeat, but Torkoal is a whole 'nother story. My suggestion is to use a Rock-type against Flannery. This works in Ruby/Sapphire, but she throws in Numel AND Camerupt into the mix. The best you can do is Azumarill, which can evolve from the Marill found on Route 117. Best use a female though, as Camerupt knows Attract, and is female. Other than that, use Rock-types on the rest of her team.

Next up is Norman, who is a total monster if you lack a Fighting-type Pokemon. Slaking can really take out your Pokémon.

Sinnoh: Diamond/Pearl

Spoiler:
Crasher Wake has a flipping Floatzel, the fastest Pokémon in Generation 4, and can hit hard. His other 2 Pokemon are no problem with their respective weaknesses.

In Diamond and Pearl, Fantina is frustrating, but not as much in Platinum.

Volkner is easy in Diamond and Pearl, but in Platinum, it's a whole 'nother story! He has a Jolteon, the fastest Pokémon in the Sinnoh Pokedex, as well as a Luxray with Ice Fang, and a rather quick Electivire with Fire Punch.

Unova

Spoiler:
Powerful moves makes Lenora a beast in the classic. However, if you caught a Sawk, she can be handled well with Low Sweep.

Any Trainer with a Zebstrika, especially Gym Leader Elesa. Zebstrika is a super-fast beast. In fact, the only Pokemon in the original Unova Dex (introduced in Unova only), with a higher base Speed than Zebstrika, is Meloetta in Pirouette Form. In Black and White 2, Zebstrika overlevels all the Pokemon in the surrounding areas.

Last but not least, Drayden. During the Spring, Summer and Autumn, Ice type Pokemon are pretty much non existant, making it seem like the game requests you to play during the Winter. In Black and White 2, Ice-type Pokemon are very rare this early on, even in the Winter. For Ice-types, you have Lapras on Village Bridge and Dewgong which evolves from Seel in Seaside Cave, both of which available all year long. Winter only gives off Cubchoo on Route 7, and Spheal (and all of its evolutions) in Undella Bay.

All done, and hope that wasn't too much of a strategy guide for ya.
Old May 4th, 2013, 12:45 PM
Recluse
The Harbinger of Solitude
Community Supporter

Nature: Calm
The "Hardest" gym leader I've ever faced was Volkner. He was just slightly harder than others, but still pretty easy.
Old May 6th, 2013, 01:41 PM
Hidden Power

The hardest was Tate & Liza. Their team has a nearly-perfect synergy. It's somewhat hard to defeat them if you don't use moves life Surf and don't have 'mons immune to ground moves.

Sponsored Links

Advertise here