The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > Hacks Studio > Sideshow Showcase

Notices

Sideshow Showcase The place to show side-projects that you're working on, for the small yet still big things you want to do, such as translation patches, "386" patches, and anything small like that.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Advertise here

View Poll Results: What typing should the "???" undecided Evolution line be?
pure Dark 4 18.18%
Water / Dark 2 9.09%
Water / Ground 4 18.18%
Electric / Dark 7 31.82%
Electric / Ghost 5 22.73%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Old October 9th, 2012, 01:17 PM
HeroesAndCons

Advertise here
Please read all of the information before passing judgement!

Hey guys, I am creating my very first hack (in collaboration with BlackSoul95)... specifically a Fakemon hack. Now, I know that Fakemon have kind of been a taboo in pokemon hacks, mainly since the majority of them - especially in infamous hacks I will not name here - are done poorly. My aim is to change that, by recreating FireRed with 150 brand new, high-quality Fakemon! Thus, while the game itself will be basically the same, it will have a completely new Pokedex to create a brand new experience!

This actually started as a kind of brainstorming thread on another message board, but since this is the internet central of ROM Hacks, this seemed like the best place to post a real thread about my hack once I was ready to post it.

Features:
- 150 brand new Pokemon! (Maybe 151 if I can figure out how to add new events in...)
- Easter Egg Pokemon! (Not shown in above Pokedex).
- New overworlds for all event Pokemon.
- Replacement for Eevee with same evolution mechanics (and FIVE stone-based evolutions!)
- Several unique typings - including Bug / Ice, Grass / Ghost and Rock / Dragon.
- Useless TMs edited to be more useful! The list of changed TMs is here:
Spoiler:
TM05 - Extremespeed
TM15 - Ice Punch
TM43 - Thunderpunch
TM45 - Fire Punch Coz GSc's Elemental Punches TMs were awesome!)
TM49 - Rock Slide (yes I am aware there is a move tutor for it as well, but it can only be used once).

- Additional moves from later generations, such as Brave Bird, Dark Pulse and Hurricane have also been added. Moves such as Tackle, Giga Drain and Outrage have been updated to reflect their Gen V stats.
- NEW FEATURE: Brand new moves have been added! Have fun with moves like Demolition, Bug Shard and Toxic Crush!* You can drop a comment suggesting a new move and if I can implement it, I might just do that!
- Every trainer, gym leader, elite four and champion edited.
- More to come!

*Below is a spoiler of the new moves and what they do. This spoiler will be removed if I find out how to change the move descriptions of the moves I have replaced.
Spoiler:

Toxic Crush - Rock - 95 power - 90% acc - May poison the foe.
Demolition - Fighting - 120 power - 100% acc - Causes recoil damage. (This is is because I can't implement CloseCombat, TBH).
Bug Shard - Bug - 85 power - 100% acc - May paralyze the foe.
Dragon Slash - Dragon - 45 power - 100% acc - Hits twice.

POKEDEX REMOVED FOR MAJOR EDITING!

HALL OF FAMERS
Once this hack is released, I'll be putting up people's Hall of Fame screenshots (if you send them to me, of course). For now, here's mine from my recent playtesting:
Spoiler:

----------

Before I post screenshots, I thought I should post some photos from YAPE to show how thoroughly I am editing the Pokemon for this hack. Click the spoiler to see the shots! (These shots are out-of-date; this pokemon has different stats and moveset to what is shown here.)
Spoiler:

New Names, Stats, Typings, Abilities and Gender Ratios.

Evolutions and Egg Groups edited.

All movesets, TM and HM compatibilities changed (except for Move Tutors...)

New Pokedex entries, height and weight edited, and Size Comparisons carefully edited!

And now the screenshots you want! (They are all kind of bigger than intended...) - <-- Many of these are fairly outdated, due to changes / cleaning up of sprites, editiong in moveste / stats / abilities, etc. But you get the gist of the hack.

Spoiler:

New sprites and accurate size comparisons. (many of my sprites use base sprites as a template, but I always try and ensure that the end result is a compeltely new Pokemon!)

Spoiler:

What could this new, crap-but-maybe-not-crap Pokemon evolve into, I wonder...?

Spoiler:

New Pokedex entries! (Sprite shown is a placeholder until I make a cleaner sprite.)

Spoiler:

Yeah, I know what you're thinking. It's badass.

Spoiler:

Bit of a battle between two of the starter Pokemon in a Rival battle.

Spoiler:

I wonder what kind of power this mysterious new Pokemon holds...

Spoiler:

New Legendaries (including overworlds) add to the fun! XD (This one is Ghost/Fighting, FYI.)

Progress:
Pokemon edited / entered into game: 150 / 150
Pokemon with completed sprites: 105 / 150 approximately (Though only about 20 so far actually have back sprites.)
Normal Trainers edited: Complete
Gym Leaders / Elite 4 / Champion edited: Complete

Progress will move slowly, as I am completing my Medical Science college course and (eurgh...) job-hunting, so time is kind of short. Spriting is also a very tough and long-winded process, often taking over an hour for a single Pokemon's front and back sprites, so this will not be released any time soon. Please be patient. Any help I can receive with regards to spriting (though BlackSoul95 and I will do the majority of this) and hex editing (to change edited move descriptions and animations, Game Corner prize pokemon names, etc.) would be fantastic!

CREDITS:
BlackSoul95 - Lead spriter.

SPECIAL THANKS:
Silver314 - creator of YAPE.

Last edited by HeroesAndCons; July 20th, 2013 at 11:30 AM. Reason: Updating Pokedex
Old October 9th, 2012, 10:37 PM
wilso
Grass Master

Nature: Hardy
love hacks with fakemon keep it up btw will u be changing the maps around a bit?
Old October 9th, 2012, 10:57 PM
Spherical Ice
Community Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to Spherical Ice
I suggest hiring a spriter, I dont think these sprites are as high quality as you're aiming for; the outlines vary in colour, the anatomy is stiff and faces the screen, the ideas arent very clear, and the lineart is jagged. Go on over to Pixel Art and try and get some more indepth constructive critisism. Good luck with your hack!
Old October 10th, 2012, 05:37 AM
HeroesAndCons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spherical Ice View Post
I suggest hiring a spriter, I dont think these sprites are as high quality as you're aiming for; the outlines vary in colour, the anatomy is stiff and faces the screen, the ideas arent very clear, and the lineart is jagged. Go on over to Pixel Art and try and get some more indepth constructive critisism. Good luck with your hack!
The sprites aren;t quite GameFreak quality no, but i'm not Gamefreak. There are some improvements I can make, and I will when I am less busy, but I have a lot to do and only myself to do it, so it's not a high priority at this point.

As for Outlines, if you look on most Pokemon there are varying outline colours. I do use black / dark grey for most outlines though. The jaggedness is just an unfortunate penalty of me using Paint, and how far zoomed in the above screenshots are - if you zoom out far enough to see the sprites at normal size, they don't look as jagged as they do above.

If you are looking at that Roclops sprite, please remember that is just a placeholder.

Finally, I am colourblind (not fully, but still annoying) so the colours will not always be done as well as they could be. I do the best with what I have. However, getting help from a more experienced spriter would definitely be amazing, and would get this going a lot faster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilso
love hacks with fakemon keep it up btw will u be changing the maps around a bit?
Not at the moment, this is just an edit of FireRed's Pokemon at the moment. however, my friend is busy making a new map for me to use my Fakemon on, so if he finishes it (it would be mid-2013 probably), then we could use his map and my fakemon for a much larger, full game hack.

Last edited by HeroesAndCons; October 10th, 2012 at 05:43 AM.
Old October 12th, 2012, 05:27 AM
HeroesAndCons

My friend is helping me with sprites at the moment, so I should get some additional sprites onto the Pokédex soon. If you have any questions, constructive criticism, or can offer any assistance, please comment!
Old October 12th, 2012, 06:05 AM
PokemonGiratinaX
Will be always PGX

Nature: Modest
It's been a long time since people make hacks using Fakemon. I hope this would be completed soon.
Old October 12th, 2012, 09:40 AM
HeroesAndCons

Quote:
Originally Posted by PokemonGiratinaX View Post
It's been a long time since people make hacks using Fakemon. I hope this would be completed soon.
I think Sienna and Quartz are the only (famous) ones so far. It won't be "completed" any time soon I'm afraid, although I am hoping to release a Beta around Christmas; I feel that the Beta will probably go up to Lavender Town, based on my current progress for inserting sprites, editing wild Pokemon and Trainers.
Old October 13th, 2012, 04:36 AM
martinthebackup
Unhatched Egg

I would recommend switching to GraphicsGale if you're using Paint for pixel art. The added precision really helps, and would probably fix that jagginess problems you're having. It's free too, so that's a plus.
Old October 14th, 2012, 01:09 PM
HeroesAndCons

I've updated the Pokedex on the OP with a couple of new sprites. Having a friend to help with sprites is a lifesaver! XD

Remember that making this hack will be a long process, since me and my friend still have hundreds of front and back sprites and the prospect of editing all of the wild pokemon and trainer battles in the game. If I can get a beta out before January that will be fantastic, but please don't expect any highly-polished, finished version in the short run.
Old October 25th, 2012, 05:44 AM
BlackSoul95
Unhatched Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeroesAndCons
As a side-note, any help I can get with regards to normal trainer editing, Spriting (though I will do the majority of this)
HeroesAndCons your taking a bit to much credit there don't you think? Get back to me about the Duragon Sprite?

Also If anyone fancies Designing Cities on AdvanceMap i will be happy to Put them in.

You move to an area and you multiply and multiply until every natural resource is consumed and the only way you can survive is to spread to another area. There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern. Do you know what it is? A virus. Human beings are a disease, a cancer of this planet.

You are a plague and we are the cure.
Old November 3rd, 2012, 06:08 PM
DarkReaper
Unhatched Egg

Just a quick tip:

Whenever you make any pokemon, it should automatically make a shiny version, using a separate (already made) pallete. This can be a blessing (because you dont have to make two copies) but if the pallete is completely different, you can run into graphic problems. Of course, actually finding a shiny pokemon is so rare, that it wont really affect you.

Other than that, good job (y)

EDIT: Also dont forget to edit the mini-sprites that are found when shifting pokemon, or else theyll be the originals and mismatched.

Last edited by DarkReaper; November 3rd, 2012 at 06:12 PM. Reason: forgot to add that he needs to edit mini-sprites
Old November 3rd, 2012, 10:33 PM
Ach7AC
Mime Jr.

These fakemon's quality are not really perfect, but they're good nevertheless.
To tell the truth, just by going on a project like this you're stretching bounds.
I mean, it has been eons since someone last tried to make a fakemon-only hack.
Old November 4th, 2012, 02:10 PM
EnglishMilkshake
Delapitated Account

I don't mean to tease you, but the name of this hack is so funny!
Old November 7th, 2012, 11:47 PM
PokemonGiratinaX
Will be always PGX

Nature: Modest
How's with the hack? Any new updates, Heroes?

Last edited by PokemonGiratinaX; November 8th, 2012 at 12:03 AM.
Old November 9th, 2012, 12:57 PM
HeroesAndCons

Sorry for not updating recently... but yes, the hack in underway, BlackSoul95 is the lead spriter now so he is getting through the front sprites. When I have the time (collega and all that) I will be editing all of the trainers in the game and implementing BlackSoul95's sprites too. It'll be a while, but it is still going on.
Old November 9th, 2012, 01:12 PM
lizzzz
I want to be the very best!

Nature: Relaxed
Sounds very ambitious! Good luck! I love a good fakemon hack, so I'm looking forward to the progress.
Old November 11th, 2012, 01:40 AM
Astonish
Unhatched Egg

Please don't be a narcissist. The fakemons are hardly of good quality.

I admit, I can't sprite for ****. But please, if you're going to make a hack and you know that fakemon are taboo, please don't call it 'high quality'.
Old November 12th, 2012, 07:19 AM
BlackSoul95
Unhatched Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkReaper View Post
EDIT: Also dont forget to edit the mini-sprites that are found when shifting pokemon, or else theyll be the originals and mismatched.
Thanks for the reminder Hadnt thought of that

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astonish View Post
Please don't be a narcissist. The fakemons are hardly of good quality.

I admit, I can't sprite for ****. But please, if you're going to make a hack and you know that fakemon are taboo, please don't call it 'high quality'.
First of all, its 64x64 generation we are editing so the quality cant be black&white standard. The roclops line is just a concept for us to use and we haven't done the proper sprites yet for them. Also if heroes updates the pokedex section you will notice improvements as our experience increases. As you said you "can't sprite for ****" so unless you want to do some your self if you don't have something supportive to say don't say it. We wouldn't mind some constructive criticism from people as we progress

You move to an area and you multiply and multiply until every natural resource is consumed and the only way you can survive is to spread to another area. There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern. Do you know what it is? A virus. Human beings are a disease, a cancer of this planet.

Last edited by BlackSoul95; November 12th, 2012 at 09:33 AM. Reason: Your double post has been automatically merged.
Old January 3rd, 2013, 03:54 PM
HeroesAndCons

Okay guys, quick update! I'm showing you guys some of the newer and best quality sprites made by BlackSoul95 (who is now primary spriter, since he's better at it and I have hundreds of trainers to edit...).

- Surfree
- Tidalis
- Duragon

We've both done more, especially BlackSoul, but I thought a nice show of the quality of the newer sprites would be a good thing to do.
Old January 3rd, 2013, 06:52 PM
Ach7AC
Mime Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeroesAndCons View Post
Okay guys, quick update! I'm showing you guys some of the newer and best quality sprites made by BlackSoul95 (who is now primary spriter, since he's better at it and I have hundreds of trainers to edit...).

- Surfree
- Tidalis
- Duragon

We've both done more, especially BlackSoul, but I thought a nice show of the quality of the newer sprites would be a good thing to do.
These sprites are pretty high quality. They have a more Pokemon-ish feel than the old placeholder creations.
Old January 4th, 2013, 01:19 PM
BlackSoul95
Unhatched Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ach7AC View Post
These sprites are pretty high quality. They have a more Pokemon-ish feel than the old placeholder creations.
Thanks man, Took me an age to do the tidalis and duragon. surfree started off as a seel i think and duragon was a cubone :')

Old January 4th, 2013, 01:37 PM
Crimson5M
what
Community Supporter

Nature: Quiet
Looks nice I've always wanted a hack like quartz :)

Because it should've won HotY.
Pear
Frodo Baggins
Twitter
Youtube
CBC
Old January 11th, 2013, 05:33 PM
HeroesAndCons

Okay, I've just updated the Pokedex! Enjoy, and please post if you have any questions or suggestions!
Old January 20th, 2013, 09:18 PM
Jayster23
A Promise To Return

Man, this hack's fakemon look amazing! I like the fact there is a heap of fire pokemon for starters and the metamorph evolution is extremely cool. It seems interesting and i look forward to this hack going further. Hopefully you can finish it. Good luck.
Old January 23rd, 2013, 11:53 AM
digimonqueen
Draco Malfoy's Girlfriend

Nature: Gentle
i LOVE fakemon hacks. do you know when the first release is gonna be? if not, just take your time. good hacks shouldn't be rushed. it'll make them look bad. yours looks AWESOME.

Help will always be given at Hogwarts to those who ask for it.

“Do not pity the dead, Harry. Pity the living, and, above all, those who live without love. By returning, you may ensure that fewer souls are maimed, fewer families are torn apart. If that seems to you a worthy goal, then we say good-bye for the present.”

"Harry--you're a great wizard, you know."
"I'm not as good as you," said Harry, very embarrassed, as she let him go.
"Me!" said Hermione. "Books! And cleverness! There are more important things--friendship and bravery and--oh Harry--be careful!"
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here