The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Discussions > Pokémon Anime

Notices

Pokémon Anime Are you a regular watcher of the Pokémon Anime and its Movies or just an old fan? Come here, and take part in all the various ongoing discussions about the Pokémon Anime.

Old September 14th, 2012, 07:52 AM
Azureth

Nature: Calm
If you look at him from the first episode and compare how he looks today, he looks A LOT thinner. In the beginning he looked kinda chubby. So did Pikachu lose weight, or what?
Old September 14th, 2012, 08:04 AM
Yamiidenryuu

He does look skinnier, but I think it's more due to character design drift than to actual weight loss. If you look up Pikachu's sprites and official game art and such, you can see the same thing happening there.

Cheren Comic is a comic about Cheren! Go read it.
Old October 4th, 2012, 07:36 PM
Hikamaru
there is a truth
Community Supporter

Nature: Quirky
The reason behind Pikachu "losing weight" is due to the changes in the art of characters over the generations.

If you look at all of Pikachu's game sprites, you'll notice it was slightly fatter-looking during Generations 1 & 2. The official art also shows these changes.

These changes in art design also carried over to the anime, like how during late Johto saga, the coloring system changed from cel-shading to digital coloring. Also, several attacks' graphics were updated as the series went on.
Old October 4th, 2012, 08:30 PM
awolfsquared
I wish you a Merry Christmas!! (or CHRIStmas)
Community Supporter

Nature: Modest
Send a message via Skype™ to awolfsquared
I wouldn't say he lost weight , but rather a change in style and character design. It's mainly cause of what Hikari said, the change from cel-shading to digital coloring has to do with it.

Merry Christmas everyone!
DeviantArt | Tumblr | Ask Me Stuff | Paired to
Old October 5th, 2012, 01:23 AM
Bobdapeach

Nature: Naughty
He was definitely pudgier at the start of the series, but like mentioned above. It's not that Pikachu 'lost weight' it's his design from the artist sprites.

Old October 6th, 2012, 11:49 AM
roosterman
Freaking annoying!

Nature: Brave
maybe kanto has richer berries?

pokemon black 2 friend code: 1979 8164 1100
my best battle video: 72-38989-76548. tell me your thoughts!
"Believe it or not, angels crap much more than other beings. Ever wonder why the phrase "holy crap" is so popular?" -macomuu
Old October 7th, 2012, 04:17 PM
TheBeatlesPkmnFan42
Unhatched Egg

While it is because the art style has changed ever so slightly, my headcanon is that Pikachu has lost weight due to traveling with Satoshi for so long.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links