Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Discussions > Pokémon General

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Pokémon General Theories, experiences and other discussions regarding the Pokémon franchise that can't be covered in any of the other boards.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old October 19th, 2012 (07:22 PM).
Thursday
Just Another Slow Thursday
Community Supporter

Nature: Quiet
I don't really get teased that much about playing pokemon, even though I am in college. Most people I hang out with (or hanged out with) plays/played pokemon. The only time I can really think of being teased was in middle school and it ended with me punching him in the nose. Yeah, not the greatest of ways to deal with it but I didn't get teased anymore XD

Username:
Thursday
Friend Safari:
Dark

Friend Code:
1006-0591-1577

Old October 19th, 2012 (11:11 PM).
Vicktor Black
Blaziken

Nature: Relaxed
I have had plenty of things people teased me about I mostly just ignored them or told them that i don't make fun of them for what they play or do some were reasonable while others needed a bit more talking to to get them off my back.

Always keep an open mind!
Old October 20th, 2012 (12:21 AM).
Correspondence

Though i've never really been teased the only way to deal with those people is to just not give a ****
Old October 20th, 2012 (12:22 AM).
Ice Car
Booted out - don't be like me!

Nature: Jolly
"**** Off"

Conversation end.

Not that I get many people telling me that anyway. Everyone who sees me playing it at school actually does play it and there's generally a lot of acceptance about it. I'm in High School, by the way. Someone the other day also just walked up and asked me how the new Pokemon was.
Old October 20th, 2012 (05:05 AM).
Syltti
Lilligant's Loving Trainer

Nature: Calm
I ignore them, though they are pretty rare. I've got better things to do than deal with haters, like tend to my Pokemon~

FC - 4012-4737-6781
Y Battle Record: [0 Win(s) - 1 Loss(es) - 0 Tie(s)] - Latest Battle Video: N/A
"Ryana.. She's a Necromancer. Hers, however, uses a very peculiar system and grants her amazing abilities that no other necromancer has managed to replicate. Necromancers can control zombies, skeletons, and ghasts; Ryana specializes in zombies, but has a secondary handle on skeletons. People see Necromancers as horrible abominations. Ryana is nothing of the sort. It would take less than a day for anyone to realize that."

Fuyou Ayame - Elven Alchemist. Loving Mother. Royal Guardian.
Old October 20th, 2012 (07:16 AM).
Chamongys
Pokemon Fiend !

Who cares. If anything just tell them to .... off and then blast burn thier ...

My YouTube channel : http://www.youtube.com/user/Chamongys?feature=mhee

Old October 21st, 2012 (10:14 AM).
toasterr
Unhatched Egg

Nature: Impish
Quite a few of my friends either play or used to play Pokemon religiously, so I don't catch a lot of flack. There usually is the odd person here or there though and I usually either ignore them or say "you have things you think are fun, I have mine."

Although hiding behind nostalgia usually works too, haha
Old October 21st, 2012 (10:41 AM).
drpoplove
Super Saiyan and Stuff

I'm lucky that most of my friends are way into gaming in general so there isn't any teasing going on. But there have been cases and I usually respond with something like, 'dude it's just a game, you like dumb things such as ____ as well,' and that shuts them up.
Old October 24th, 2012 (06:49 AM).
Gunter's Mew
Unhatched Egg

Somehow I always end up making Pokemon sound like the best game ever and just tell them what other games that I play that can be compared to Pokemon.

Friend: You still play Pokemon?
Me: Yea, unless you can tell me there is some other RPG that let you choose between 600+ different classes and let you have a party of six I think I will just stick to this.
Friend: Isn't that for kids?
Me: Sometimes I just want to play a casual game. If I want to play something hardcore I would play Nocturne.
Friend: What is Nocturne?
Me: Shin Megami Tensei 3, also known as Lucifer's Call in the UK due to some copyright thing with the name. You know, the game with demons?
Friend: wait what?
Me: You are turn into a half demon yourself when the world ends and you have to recruit other demons to even stand a chance. You can recruit the White Rider, Satan, and some other demons from other religion like Hindu and other stuff as well.
Friend: Dude that sound awesome! (at this point I show him a youtube clip or if he is at my house just play a small example of the game)
Me: Yea but it is kinda hard and it is basically just like Pokemon. I play Pokemon to take a break from this sometimes. Pokemons are pretty much demons anyway, read the dex sometimes. Some of their stuff are kinda dark even for adults. (At this point explain a few like Cubone wearing the skull of his mother, Drifloon steal children, Yamask remembering his past life and cry into his mask, etc.)

Basically I give him something that is already cool (mostly dark & edgy) that he have no choice but to agree it is cool then compare it to Pokemon until he understand Pokemon is just as cool just in it's own way.
Just for fun I am running a massive favorite Pokemon poll. Unlike most common polls this will list the most favorite to the least favorite at the bottom of the page. I won't be mad if you only vote for a few of them though I would love it if you vote for all of them. PM me if you voted for all of them, I would like to keep a list of people who actively vote so I can PM them for the next round.

-Sadly not by my choice you are forced to have a Facebook or make an account on the site to vote. I recommend making an account, the site is quite useful for tournaments of any kind and you don't even need to verified the account at all. My existing account been unverified for over a year now out of laziness.
-You may vote as little or as much as you like though once you hit the button then it is set in stone for any votes that you did made. For example you can do half of the 1st gen one day and the other half the next. You just can't change your mind later for anything you already voted for. If the button no longer there then you voted for everything possible for that round.
-I will only update this when I feel I have a decent amount of votes to give a decent result.
-You may vote for that Pokemon for any given reason. Just go for your personal favorite.
-If you need a reference of their designs then you can use this or your favorite site with images.
Old October 28th, 2012 (01:29 PM).
Minato Arisato
Memento mori...

Random idiot: "Omg, you still play Pokemon?!!!1one!

Me: "Yes. Is there a problem? If there is, kindly remove yourself from my sight. I don't particularly care about anything you want to say."
Old October 31st, 2012 (04:20 PM).
BanditThePikachu
The Raichu of awesome

Send a message via Skype™ to BanditThePikachu
I just ignore them.
We all have our own interests, and I don't let it get to me if they think me playing Pokemon is immature or stupid.
They just have to understand the fact that I like what I like and I don't care what others think about me.
Old October 31st, 2012 (08:47 PM).
Iceman3317
Kalos Explorer!

Never really get made fun of. Still a lot of people around my town who like the games just not the show and stuff. But I would probably just ignore them
Old October 31st, 2012 (09:12 PM).
ShinyUmbreon189
Never go full retard

With living in West Chicago no one down here really gives a ****. Not once have I had a problem with anyone knowin I play Pokemon. The employees at GameStop even know I play Pokemon and they don't care. It could also be my age group as well. At about the age 19 or 20 hell even 18 after you graduate nothing ever an issue. It's childish to make fun of someone for playing Pokemon whether they be 12 or 24. My age group; people don't judge cos lots of them actually play it. When I was in High School I got teased alot and bullied for it. They made the wrong decision ****in with me in High School and he got laid out. Ever since then which was my Sophmore year, no one said a word about it. But it's usually high schoolers cos they wanna get attention. Honestly idk what it is in high school cos you don't see this stuff in college.

Old October 31st, 2012 (09:44 PM).
smurf
Veteran Trainer

Ppl just get very inmature when it comes to this type stuff i like pokemon and yu-gi-oh im 19 and i was a star athlete ppl can be harsh just shrugg it off and go on with life
Old November 3rd, 2012 (04:12 AM).
Eps
Unhatched Egg

I'm 25 and I have never been asked to jusitfy why I play Pokemon to anyone. I sit at work and play it next to people up to the age of 65.

"What's that? A PSP or something?"
"No it's a Nintendo DS"
"What are you playing?"
"Pokemon"
"Ha my kids used to be into that"
"Yea it's awesome"

10 mins later

"Did you beat your score"
Old November 3rd, 2012 (04:33 AM).
Volcanix769
Known as the Quilava Guy!

Nature: Careful
I just tell them to just go away. I'm like in Year 7 in School and that still people bother me about it despite me even liking the games, the manga, and even drawing Fanart of it on deviantART. I mean like, if they don't like it, then why even view it?

I remember one saying "lol Pokemon" when I drew a new character with an Oshawott on my dA account. That totally angered me so I just flagged it as spam. But it's pretty nice to see some of my peers in real life accept me for liking it and they still do like it as well, so I just hang out with them.
Old November 3rd, 2012 (12:57 PM).
Aeon
Dayum, son. Where'd you find this?
Community Supporter

Actually I don't do anything about it. Some people I know consider Pokemon to be their guilty pleasure so it all works out. No one I know who games really cares either. Everyone in my programming class plays different games from one-another so we really can't judge.
Old November 4th, 2012 (07:19 PM).
Patchisou Yutohru
Community Supporter

People don't make fun of me for playing Pokémon.
Old November 4th, 2012 (09:25 PM). Edited November 4th, 2012 by DarkTower.
DarkTower
Passerby Analytics HQ

Nature: Gentle
I bring my 3DS to college and basically play during breaks or in between classes. A few times I've had people say things like "Wow, you STILL play that?". It happens, I suppose. I don't really mind it. In my experience, most people have been really cool about it. In high school I used to randomly give out Pokemon keychains to my classmates. They loved it. I've always been very open about being a Pokemon fan. I think it's important to show people that we aren't all 12 years old.

When it comes to Pokemon, people often say that they've just "grown out of it". I don't think that's the case. I just think that some of us are able to recognize the long-term appeal of the game and value the core RPG and strategic elements, while others don't see past the marketing for younger audiences.
Old November 5th, 2012 (01:52 AM).
morrison

I don't get flak, but then It is possible they don't even know since I don't talk about playingf Pokémon to anyone...

Pokemon Hardmode Sapphire Comic
starts as b/w but turns colourful a couple of pages later
Old November 11th, 2012 (08:27 PM).
Lishy
Unhatched Egg

I've never had to worry about this because Pokemon is cool again when you're in College! :D
Old November 12th, 2012 (12:33 PM).
Gameb0y
Pokemon Trainer Since '98

I just have a diverse group of friends. I have the ones I can talk to about sports related stuff, then I have the ones I can talk to about Pokemon, video games, and anime/manga. It's great to have it balanced out.
Old November 13th, 2012 (06:26 PM).
Arcturus.
Chews nails and spits napalm

Most of my friends play Pokemon, but I normally don't bring it up with other people. If I do get bothered about it, which has not happened for a while, my best option is just to ignore it.
CSS|VM/PM|THEME
Old November 13th, 2012 (06:36 PM). Edited November 13th, 2012 by CourageHound.
CourageHound
Trust & Courage. Nothing More

Nature: Lonely
I dont bring it up at school so I havnt got any flack from anyone recently. But with middle school, it was a killer. Basically I just wave it off or simply ignore their comments. If it gets bad I just say "..Why do you even care? If you dont like it then leave it alone." Then walk off. But I think its pretty sad that for many people, pokemon has become sort of a "secret interest" that you cant keep peace with, maybe not even your pals. Sorta like how i'd imagine bronies would feel(I dont speak from experience). But, as mentioned before ignoring them is your best route.
Old November 13th, 2012 (07:06 PM).
Pvt Tamama
Chii!

Quote originally posted by Gunter's Mew:
Somehow I always end up making Pokemon sound like the best game ever and just tell them what other games that I play that can be compared to Pokemon.

Friend: You still play Pokemon?
Me: Yea, unless you can tell me there is some other RPG that let you choose between 600+ different classes and let you have a party of six I think I will just stick to this.
Friend: Isn't that for kids?
Me: Sometimes I just want to play a casual game. If I want to play something hardcore I would play Nocturne.
Friend: What is Nocturne?
Me: Shin Megami Tensei 3, also known as Lucifer's Call in the UK due to some copyright thing with the name. You know, the game with demons?
Friend: wait what?
Me: You are turn into a half demon yourself when the world ends and you have to recruit other demons to even stand a chance. You can recruit the White Rider, Satan, and some other demons from other religion like Hindu and other stuff as well.
Friend: Dude that sound awesome! (at this point I show him a youtube clip or if he is at my house just play a small example of the game)
Me: Yea but it is kinda hard and it is basically just like Pokemon. I play Pokemon to take a break from this sometimes. Pokemons are pretty much demons anyway, read the dex sometimes. Some of their stuff are kinda dark even for adults. (At this point explain a few like Cubone wearing the skull of his mother, Drifloon steal children, Yamask remembering his past life and cry into his mask, etc.)

Basically I give him something that is already cool (mostly dark & edgy) that he have no choice but to agree it is cool then compare it to Pokemon until he understand Pokemon is just as cool just in it's own way.
person: where is this game i must buy it for the glory of all based gods!

Sponsored Links