The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Discussions > Pokémon General

Notices

Pokémon General Theories, experiences and other discussions regarding the Pokémon franchise that can't be covered in any of the other boards.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old November 13th, 2012, 08:39 PM
Swagmar
Unhatched Egg

I'm 15 and a sophomore in high school and unlike the rest of the people who have responded to this, I am usually ridiculed about playing pokemon by my friends except for 3 of them. One of them plays it still but not often. They usually tell me "Hey, why don't you just go and play pokemon/ with your pokemon cards," and I try to shrug it off and it usually doesn't work for me. I don't know what to do, the only other people who play pokemon in my school are ... "special" kids. I would like to try and tell them that it's still fun to me but they cut me off saying "Well pokemon's still gay," so they just gang up on me basically yelling making everyone look at me giggling and smirking. So basically, I am the one who needs tips on this topic,

All You Need Is Magmar and Pinsir <3
Old November 23rd, 2012, 07:36 AM
⊗Slenderman⊗
[Left PC]
Community Supporter

Nature: Quiet
Honestly, people don't make fun of me, aside from my dad. He only teases because I used to watch the anime. My best friend does tease a little bit I don't mind much (because I know she doesn't mean it).
(Copy/paste the above into your browser)
Old November 26th, 2012, 09:27 PM
Callandor
Mageganistic!!!!!!!!!

Shove a rusty metal pipe up their a-

Just ignore it. That's what I do. I'm a brony, and my one friend won't leave it alone. But I don't let it bug me. He has his narrow, simplistic views and I have mine. And if it gets really bad, just tell them off. Or do the above mentioned comment.
Old November 26th, 2012, 11:33 PM
Wobbachomp
Donator Tier 1

Nature: Adamant
I ignore them. I play Pokemon, and nothing's gonna stop me from playing Pokemon...
Old November 27th, 2012, 12:29 AM
Pinta77
Swadloon Trainer
Community Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to Pinta77
Quote:
Originally Posted by SNOR(es)LAX View Post
Fortunately for me, my friends still play Pokemon on their phones (using emulators)
That's the funny thing. It's cool if it's on your iphone, but not if it's on your DS.

I don't look like someone who plays pokemon. I'm 17, I never played it as a kid, so most people who don't know me well would never guess. But in fact, I bring my DS to school (yeah, high school) quite often. And what's even funnier is the look on people's face when I'm glued to my DS and smoking a cigarette on my way home. Quite a strange sight probably.So what's the moral here?

Don't hide something you like to do for fun just because other people think it's childish, or geeky, or immature. Be yourself. If other people can't get passed that, then they aren't a friend you want to have.

Wonder Trade!!!
Old November 27th, 2012, 05:40 PM
OrangeNess
Layton Lover

Nature: Docile
I tell them I'd like to see them beat a pokemon game. They say they won't because it's childish, but I think they know they couldn't. I also agree with what pinta77 said.
Old November 27th, 2012, 11:52 PM
Altairis
I'M ALL FIRED UP

Nature: Modest
Send a message via Skype™ to Altairis
My family has learned not to say anything about it really haha, but it's kinda weird because my 9 yr old brother plays Pokemon too (and he's reallly annoying about it). When my friends see my Pokemon games in my room they get kinda weirded out and usually say something like "Pokemon, really?" and I usually say something sassy like "Have you ever played it?" just because it gets really annoying.
Old November 28th, 2012, 12:32 AM
Konvict
Embrace The End

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Konvict Send a message via Yahoo to Konvict
I'm 21 years old, I still play, and I still have that fondness for them ridiculously cute critters (Raichu? Azumarill? Dragonite? Lilligant?).

Even when I was in college, my blockmates never gave me grief about it - hell, I got more flak for playing DotA than for Pokemon. One of them even asked to borrow my DS for a week and to start a new file on my (then-recently erased) Diamond.

PM me if you wish to duel. My YM is seto_byakuya.
Brought to you by Konvicted Productions.
Old November 28th, 2012, 06:14 PM
Sassy Milkshake
It's ok to cry.

Nature: Sassy
Oh I have so much experience dealing with stupid people who tease me, not really when it comes to Pokemon, but the way I deal with it is exactly the same: I don't do anything. I'm so far past it, words really don't phase me at all anymore. It's really kinda funny actually that people gotta make fun of others when they probably do something "socially awkward" too.

I have had a couple people make comments about my DS and why I still play it, and I just brushed it aside really.

Old November 28th, 2012, 06:58 PM
revere
Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
Don't care, never will. Sometimes, I still find my friends who make fun of me (altho they still play, a little) running up to me asking for answers, but to be honest, no one ever makes fun of me for liking Pokemon & that's a good thing!

Last edited by revere; December 2nd, 2012 at 06:52 AM.
Old November 28th, 2012, 08:53 PM
Lilith
Protect his very soul.

In middle school, I was teased by a couple of boys for playing Pokemon. I mostly ignored them, but I found their actions so unnerving. They would tell me that Pokemon is for babies, that it's lame, etc. I truly think they had some issues, considering that they picked at my appearance too and bullied the prettiest girl in school. Well, they just bullied everyone.

In high school, I didn't mention my interests. Even when I found some girls who liked Pokemon, I totally pretended that I knew nothing about "so i herd u liek mudkipz" and whatnot. I didn't want a repeat of middle school.

My college friends don't know that I like Pokemon. I don't really see video game discussion ever popping up, lol. I mean, I mentioned Pokemon in a speech once in public speaking class, but we were supposed to describe a childhood memory.

Only my family knows, so I will a) ignore stupid comments about my interests and/or b) try to explain the complexity of the game and describe how adults can appreciate the strategic elements of the Pokemon games too. The latter method often gets my brothers to shut up. I tell them, yeah, I'm a Pokemon hotshot, I'm good at the games and I enjoy playing, I can abuse the mechanics and get any Pokemon I want, I've won tournaments (cough two cough), and I'm quite known in the fandom. It's not something just for kids. At the end of the day, I just exhaust them and they return to playing Call of Duty. </3

Old November 28th, 2012, 09:20 PM
Villa10
Unhatched Cowboy

I'm in college too, and despite having 22 years old and feeling old a bit, i don't care about that kind of stuff. Just like the first (i guess) post said, 'you play pokemon? lol' just go for 'yeah, i really like it' and done.
Old November 28th, 2012, 10:04 PM
Meowing Mewtwo

I tell them that there are far more interesting things to do than criticize me, and that they should find a hobby too. I am a brony, pokefreak, and anime lover. So people like that, who have nothing to do but try to make others feel down... THEY JUST MAKE ME MAD. Therefore, depending on their usual attitude toward me, I will say different things. I pride myself on being an individual, and people who insult that and try to degrade me or others... That is the one thing I can't stand, ever.

Last edited by Meowing Mewtwo; November 28th, 2012 at 10:07 PM. Reason: Incompleteness
Old November 30th, 2012, 11:53 AM
Cassino

I just don't play in public nor mention it if someone asks what did over the weekend or the like, so I don't put myself in a position where I would have to deal with it.
Old November 30th, 2012, 11:55 AM
imevil
Biggest Scyther Fan
Community Supporter

Nature: Naughty
when people ever give me s*** for playing Pokemon I usually just ignore them. Thee just immature and can't accept someone likes different games than them.
Emerald Second City Challenge- COMPLETE
ULTIMATE MONOTYPE WATER!
Fire Red (COMPLETE) -> Crystal (COMPLETE) -> Emerald (COMPLETE) -> Platinum(COMPLETE -> Black 2

Hunger Games Challenge- District 8: Ruby 2/8

Old December 1st, 2012, 05:46 AM
Triston1zn
GYM LEADER

Nature: Calm
The truth is..people will keep putting you down or laughing at you, as long as it gets a response from you....I mean...as long as it effects you.

Sometimes even if you don't say anything, but you look angry or upset, they will continue picking on you...

Personally, I'm known as a funny/clown type of person...so if I do anything out of the ordinary, people find it ''funny and cute'' lol, but mostly, if I'm teased about playing pokemon.....I'll wear my huge PIKACHU T-shirt the next time and just embrace the teasing...either by yelling PIKACHU ROCKS!!...or jumping around them and saying PIKA-PEE...PIKA-CHUUUUU LMAO...they get so embarassed or they laugh so hard that they don't bother me again...EVER
Old December 1st, 2012, 10:12 AM
empty streets
Ace trainer ★

Nature: Brave
I'm 22 and I really enjoy playing pokemon. No one ever really teased me mostly because I'm the first one to let others know that I'm into it! Friends find it a bit wierd but cute. Usually we laugh about this topic together and forget about it :3
Old December 1st, 2012, 02:35 PM
jjman65
Unhatched Egg

I'm 15 and I still play Pokemon. Sometime when I bring my DS to school people will make fun of me for playing but, I just ignore them because they always state that any game that isn't GTA or Saint Rows is for babies. That includes Street Fight, Tekken, and Soul Calibur.
Old December 1st, 2012, 03:54 PM
LilJz
This is how we do!
Community Supporter

I'm the type of guy who always gets the last word in any argument. So if someone is making fun of me playing Pokemon, I just laugh at the games THEY play, since most people that would probably make fun of you playing Pokemon are people that plays games like for example Call Of Duty, who's very repetitive and the player base are a bunch of 11 year old kids.
Old December 1st, 2012, 04:00 PM
CourageHound
Trust & Courage. Nothing More

Nature: Lonely
Kind of a shame that liking pokemon is something to hide or be ashamed about these days T-T. I just try to distinguish those people that like to make fun of people for like pokemon and isolate myself from them.
Old December 2nd, 2012, 03:06 AM
fjord
Confused Nimrod

Nature: Bashful
I shot back,
"Go play pokemon; I can see that you're in a sour mood for not playing"

Flash a smile and leave.
Old December 2nd, 2012, 04:04 AM
4g0ny
Unhatched Egg

Usually when people give me flak about pokemon playing or enjoying it, I tell them what I tell people about other games that are available. The math and coding skill necessary to make a game like this is incredible, I like a challenge for the mind. Don't focus on what audience that the game was "intended" for. The greatest part about being an adult is that you can determine what that means. My girlfriend and I still have a blast playing these games together. If they get on you for the game being as old as it is you can simply raise an eyebrow and ask didn't you just get the newest iteration of a sports game, or modern warfare... *insert game franchise*. Games are about separating yourself from this world it shouldn't matter what the content is so long as it alleviates the stress for a little while.
Just a quick side note the people that have the ability to anthropomorphize pokemon have amazing talent not to mention the ones that do some of the elaborate art I've seen in some of your sigs, I am truely envious of that talent.
Old December 2nd, 2012, 04:13 AM
Emperor Serperior
A Emperor with infinite Speed

Nature: Serious
There's no need neccesary to bring the subject but if it does so happen then you simply ignore them and try to avoid the particular people who you know they will not advocate Pokemon and if you can, try to discombomulate their minds so they forget what to say and will leave you alone . I call this Hypnosis Barrier

Become a legendary
Latias

Gamerman96
The 96th man of games
Old December 2nd, 2012, 06:14 AM
Synerjee
A madman with a box.

Hmm.. This is a touchy subject for me and I have avoided answering it until now. Well..when I was younger, my parents weren't that against me into liking Pokemon and bought me all the Pokemon games I wanted. These days, they have ridiculed me for being a Pokefan, saying that it's 'childish' and 'useless'. Yes, I agree that it doesn't serve any benefits for my future like what my family has been going on and on about, but whatever I say, they will always associate Pokemon with children's games. They can't control what I like or dislike! So, what do/will I do? I'll stick to my fandom and ignore what anyone says, not just my parents....end of story. (I'm sorry if I've said anything too....deep or anything; I just needed to get this off my head.)

pairs | twitter | showdown | lake valor | pc family
Old December 2nd, 2012, 01:06 PM
xxReshiramxx

Nature: Gentle
How do I deal with people that make fun of me for playing Pokemon? I've learned over the years to just ignore them that's all? It's not like there hobbies are any better then mine.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links