The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Entertainment & Hobbies > Culture & Media

Notices

Culture & Media This is where all of pop culture culminates and chats over a cup of joe. Here you can find discussions relating to the latest and greatest television shows, movies, music and literature, and much more!

Advertise here

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old October 13th, 2012, 05:52 PM
Mr. Downstairs
Community Supporter

Advertise here
When you're on the hunt for new music, how do you discover it? Do you search YouTube for something specific? Browse iTunes until something catches your eye - or ear? Listen to the radio? Search on sites like Last.fm for recommendations?
Old October 13th, 2012, 05:57 PM
Rainflower
분홍신

Nature: Lonely
I do browse iTunes chart or just look at a certain music chart in local radio.

I used to use Last.fm for recommendations but since I haven't installed the plug-ins in my new laptop, I never got there anymore :"(

oh flower, you’re so deep, deep, deep, deep. even after time passes, the thickly settled scent remains
{YONG JUN HYUNG}
Old October 13th, 2012, 06:37 PM
Kura
vimeo.com/67501143

Nature: Serious
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Kura
Usually I get given music by co-workers or friends through youtube. I don't really go exploring, myself, for new music.
Old October 13th, 2012, 06:49 PM
Mariah Carey
what a feeling
Community Supporter Tier 4

Nature: Sassy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kura View Post
Usually I get given music by co-workers or friends through youtube. I don't really go exploring, myself, for new music.
This, pretty much. Usually I find new music through friends on Tumblr, it takes far too much time for me to find music myself, lol. I'd just rather let other people find music for me and then go off from that!
Old October 13th, 2012, 06:50 PM
LividZephyr
Oxymoron, not a moron, thanks

Send a message via AIM to LividZephyr Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to LividZephyr
People still use iTunes even with the DRM spyware? Wow :/

I personally would listen to Pandora or the actual radio, or have friends recommend things to me. Amazon also has free downloads every month from artists on the rise, and that's a good way too. One this month is great. I really don't need much new music, though. I'm happy with what I have, and it's enough - 6 days, 16 hours worth. I'm not one to have TOO TOO many songs like others have said they have...
Old October 13th, 2012, 06:52 PM
droomph
mmm gurl that 90s
Community Supporter

Nature: Impish
It's called personal preference.

Anyways, I usually search around on Youtube. Eventually I'll find something new, it's happened in the past.

Old October 13th, 2012, 09:30 PM
#isthenumbersign

Nature: Sassy
For awhile, it was Pandora, I found cool new artists that were similar to those that I already had. After a couple years I know like every single band that exists so I kinda deviated away from finding music by way of Pandora. I still listen to Pandora like every day, but now I'll surf Youtube or Itunes for new music.
Old October 13th, 2012, 09:57 PM
Ice Car
Booted out - don't be like me!

Nature: Jolly
Usually video games. I almost never listen to "real music" and listen almost exclusively to video game music and remixes, but some video games have brought to my attention some pretty good songs.
Old October 13th, 2012, 10:54 PM
YungKnowledge
Kigo & Jori Shipper

Nature: Relaxed
From Friends, Blogs,Tumblr Youtube, Livemixtape.com, Datpiff.com, Pandora, iheartradio, last.fm. Most of the time its from livemixtape and Pandora.

Old October 14th, 2012, 04:20 PM
Esper

I used to go looking everywhere trying to find something new and different and perfect for me, but I would only end up loosing interest in whatever it was after a day. For some reason I could never find anything that I wanted to really listen to. Nothing suck.

Now I just absorb things that I hear with more regularity from my friends because it's more "organic" that way. I've got a lot of music at the moment so I'm not too worried about getting new music.

deviantart blog pair
Old October 14th, 2012, 06:46 PM
Keiran
Moshtradamus

Nature: Careful
Bands opening for headliners at concerts is a big one, as well as bands preforming at festivals. Sometimes if I hear about a random show I'll go to it even if I've never heard of whom is playing. My favorite bands for life I've discovered through friends when I was still in high school, my favorite band I first heard at a birthday party a friend was "DJing" when I was in 9th grade (he was like 5 years older so his music taste was vastly superior and I fell in love with it). Before I was old enough to go to shows I guess I discovered music through MTV (back when it actually had music) and Myspace.

又 yltfos os kaeps and low 又
Wandering Allowed, Wondering Aloud
Old October 14th, 2012, 08:51 PM
ARTPOP
Unhatched Egg

Send a message via Skype™ to ARTPOP
I always listen to the same music anyways. But whenever I do want new music, it's from suggestions on Twitter or what I see on Tumblr. Sometimes I want music from my friends, but no one has the same taste as me.
Old October 14th, 2012, 10:37 PM
curiousnathan
a hero can be afraid, too

Nature: Careful
I usually find most of my music while browsing youtube or listening to music. I also right down the names of songs or lyrics of songs I hear on the radio that I like and search and then download them when I have the time.
Old October 15th, 2012, 05:08 PM
Jak
i'll let you have it

Nature: Timid
One word: Klippy. He always sends me random songs or texts me a song title and artist so that I can look it up. And he's the best at finding great music. Most of the songs on my phone are there because of him. I don't find music by myself most of the time because of this, haha. Penatrait and Patchisou Yutohru send me music sometimes as well, but for the most part, I discover music through Klippy.

Into the room, I know you want it
Bang bang, all over you, I'll let you have it
Wait a minute, let me take you there
Old October 15th, 2012, 05:31 PM
Playful_Weasel
let's be friends!
Community Supporter

Nature: Gentle
Send a message via Skype™ to Playful_Weasel
First off I do a bit of research on my favorite bands and find out similar bands to the ones I like. Or I may search for bands in a genre I like (for example I go to www.metal-archives.com and look up bands).

Next I go to YouTube and find a few songs from the band, listen to them. Sometimes I may get suggestions for other similar bands.

I love the music, I may search for the CD's or Amazon MP3's, to buy the song or album.
#1 Patrat & Watchog Fan Ever!! just love those PokeMeerkats!!
I also love the - PokeMustelids - PokeFelines - PokeFoxes too!
Current Challenge -
Random Challenge - 1/8 - game: X
Old October 15th, 2012, 10:17 PM
xSkullKing16x
Boo.

Nature: Lax
I generally find music from Youtube or Tumblr, or some of my friends showing me music
Old October 15th, 2012, 10:30 PM
AWsquared
I know what things are.
Community Supporter

Nature: Modest
Send a message via Skype™ to AWsquared
Usually a friend recommends a song or band/artist to me or I look them up on Spotify or Youtube.Spotify is a good app for discovering new music or a artist; I've discovered alot of quality bands or artists with it.

"I have no idea what I'm doing. but I know I'm doing it really, really well."
DeviantArt | Tumblr | Art Gallery | Ask Me Stuff | Paired to
Old October 15th, 2012, 10:38 PM
Sylphiel

Nature: Quirky
If I remember correctly, most of the new music I've found lately actually comes from Pandora. I have my regular channels on there, but there'll be times when I'm just like...okay, I'm bored of these, and I'll just look at the other channels and see if anything else seems interesting. It sometimes works.

Although there are times when I'll also find a random video on youtube featuring some music that I like the sound of, and if there's a name listed I'll go out looking for more from that group.

So...yeah.
Old October 16th, 2012, 03:36 AM
Captain Fabio
The Shadow Pokémon
Community Supporter

Nature: Lax
Word of mouth or searching on music maps, meaning typing in a name of a band I like and it will pull up other bands that are like the named band; have found a lot of bands that way. :3

An example of a music map: http://www.liveplasma.com/
Old October 16th, 2012, 10:09 AM
FrostPheonix
Eternity.

Nature: Quiet
usually when I am playing one of my playlists on youtube or they give me a recommendation. friends and just random searches for the genre i like also do it.
Old October 16th, 2012, 08:21 PM
Hannah
exceptionally ordinary

Nature: Calm
Usually I just hear some of my friends singing a song I've never heard of. But sometimes, if I'm bored, I search through Youtube to find some new songs. It led me to Domino, by Jessie J, and I memorized the song two months before my friends found out about it.

i ii iii iv
you're just as
sane as i am

Old October 24th, 2012, 06:31 PM
Ardos
Community Supporter

A lot when I listen to my car radio on the way to school, and also on iTunes when I look through the charts.
Old October 27th, 2012, 07:59 PM
Black Mage
Master of the Elements
Community Supporter

Nature: Naughty
Twitter and Tumblr mostly. I used to visit blogs but they've all shut down now. Sometimes I'll listen to the radio and find music that way too.
Old October 27th, 2012, 08:16 PM
Tyrantrum
none pizza with left beef
Community Supporter

Nature: Lonely
Send a message via Skype™ to Tyrantrum
It's usually when I'm listening to music on YouTube, and I see songs that catch my interest in the related videos. That's how I found a lot of the music I listen to. Other times it's whenever my friends send me something to check out or post a really awesome song/band on Facebook.

(x) Tumblr
(y) Gallery
Previously Eeveon
Old October 28th, 2012, 09:59 AM
dingopongo
Togepi

Last.fm, youtube subscriptions (mainly electronic music: Tasty Network, United Dubstep, Liquicity, MrSuicideSheep...), spotify recommendations and by friends. I use to go to music festivals though, which are a great spot to catch new groups.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here