The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Entertainment & Hobbies > Culture & Media

Notices

Culture & Media This is where all of pop culture culminates and chats over a cup of joe. Here you can find discussions relating to the latest and greatest television shows, movies, music and literature, and much more!

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old November 12th, 2012, 06:40 AM
Mr Cat Dog
Everything Will Be OK

Nature: Relaxed
Normally music review websites. If something gets a good grade, and I'm in the mood for discovering new music, then I'll often have a gander on over to Spotify or YouTube and have a quick sample. If I like what I hear, I'll listen to the full album in question; if I don't, I'll normally stop there and not think about that artist/band again. If I like the band/artist and discover that they have an extensive back catalogue, I'll also try to listen to as much of it as possible, as I tend to binge on new music when I can.

For me, the best things are year-end best lists. Things like Pazz & Jop, or lists from Pitchfork/Drowned in Sound/The AV Club are a really great place to start. I certainly won't agree with all of them (last year I sampled 10 new records based on their positions in year-end best-of lists: loved 2 of them, liked about 4, and disliked the other 4). It's because of this that most of my new music discoveries normally happen months after the records have been released; I just won't know about them until the end of the year!
Old November 12th, 2012, 06:57 AM
Katholic Nun
of the Khristian Kollection

Nature: Adamant
I usually discover it through television. Most of the songs in my iTunes have come from TV in one way or another. The latest song I'm obsessed with, "What A Pity" by Right Away, Great Captain; I found when it was playing in the background in one of the scenes of a repeat of Grey's Anatomy lol

Moderator of General Chat
PAIR(S)|NOW|TUMBLR
"like when AT&T was paying for our meals in dallas you bet your ass I ordered the lamb" - Oryx, 2014 A.D.
Old November 15th, 2012, 08:30 PM
Forever
let it go

Um, radio, TV, and remixes of songs I already like. It's very rare that I'll like a song that someone brought up because I'll forever associate it to them and it'll ruin it. Hall of Fame is an exception, though, because Meganium is wonderful. Or Pokemon music lool. idk I just follow relevant links on YT and boom I see stuff.
Old November 15th, 2012, 10:39 PM
Haza
☆A Life of Pokémon & Beyoncé ☆
Community Supporter

Nature: Naughty
I have a process. When I download and buy music I look at artist names and album covers that appeal to me and I'll usually check them out. I'm also always looking for new inspirations for my own music all over the place, so I'll look for the hottest Korean/Chinese tracks to get inspired and I'll usually find a new artist that I love by doing so.

Δloyisious Divo |Haza D'Ξvil
The poison that is always fatal... yet the stinger won't stop stinging
Twitter
Facebook
Old November 16th, 2012, 03:15 AM
Mononoke Hime
viva emptiness

Nature: Sassy
Last.fm and amazing youtube channels. TV and radio just don't have much things to me. :/
Old November 16th, 2012, 03:21 AM
Altomare
Purupuru!

TV and Radio (sister listens to radio so much so I'm pretty updated).
Sometimes I watch an AMV on youtube, end up liking the song. Example of that would be Hero by Skillet.
Old November 16th, 2012, 06:40 AM
Ryoutarou
新生ペガサス
Community Supporter

Nature: Quirky
I'm a Pandora guy, so I tend to go with that. It's pretty easy to discover new music to enjoy by creating a station based on an artist or song. Though through that very same method, I often discover I only really liked maybe one or two two songs from a specific genre and that I'm nowhere near as interested in it as I believed myself to be. It's a bit of a bummer, but, hey, saves me from wasting time at least! I also use the TuneIn radio app/site to help me discover music in different languages (or just get into radio hosts from around the world) and this is something I've been doing more often than Pandora ever since I discovered it a few months ago.

I'm not much of a radio or TV guy, simply because air time for songs through those avenues tends to come months after they've already been released and available on Pandora.

Paired With Signomi - Brothers with Arcanine
Old November 16th, 2012, 07:33 AM
derozio
not an anime connoisseur
Community Supporter

Nature: Lonely
Most of the times, it is my friends who recommend certain album or bands to me and I listen to 'em accordingly. Thankfully, some of my friends have a similar taste in music as me so it helps. Sometimes youtube AMVs are a source. Don't watch music on television because the stuff on it is crap at all times. And I don't use radio.

There was a time when I used to discover and listen to some really awesome 'Hindi' songs via radio but that time has long since gone. I've stopped listening to any song that isn't English. Or Japanese. Because Japanese songs are swell.
Even though I can't make out what a single word means. I watch em' cuz anime ops and eds are awesome. But that's beside the point. o3o
Old November 16th, 2012, 08:20 AM
LilJz
Make me your Aphrodite
Community Supporter

Nature: Quiet
Usually when people shows me the song, but most of the time I just randomly find them on Youtube.
Old November 16th, 2012, 08:59 AM
Mr. Magius
  
Community Supporter Tier 5

There's a number of ways I find/have found music. Normally I just go on YouTube and find stuff that is recommended for me, or I'll even go on Wikipedia and find a list of bands that fit in a certain genre.
I used to have an iPhone app (I believe it was called Discover Music?) that gave me like a web of recommended bands for me. It also gave me samples of some of their more famous songs.
Old November 17th, 2012, 02:06 AM
Shucklulz
(◕‿◕✿)

Nature: Sassy
Send a message via Skype™ to Shucklulz
Usually through my friends. They know my tastes and I know theirs fairly well, so we often swap youtube links when they find things that I like and visa versa.

Also I'll occasionally browse Reddit when I'm absolutely sick of every song I have and need something new. That isn't often though.

nyoom | tumblr
Old November 17th, 2012, 02:19 AM
Logiedan
highly-functioning sociopath

Radio stations, friends and I explore on a music-streaming website called GrooveShark which I am surprised no one has mentioned yet (maybe they did, i'm lazy to check and search for posts).
Old November 17th, 2012, 04:46 AM
Hikamaru
pseudologia fantastica
Community Supporter

Nature: Quirky
Usually through radio and YouTube.

Maybe even the usual music video show on TV to a lesser extent.

Paired with Kouzan, Isaac and Heartouch
Battle Server | Tumblr | Profile | Supporter

Old November 17th, 2012, 05:58 AM
Aeon
Now face the avalanche

Nature: Quiet
Haphazard clicking through YouTube, my friends, and on some rare occasions my family.
Old November 17th, 2012, 06:01 AM
Pvt Tamama
Chii!

Nature: Calm
youtube pandora forums but never really radio especially after hearing the same pop song 5 times in one hour. Also very rare poeple i know irl
Old November 17th, 2012, 08:13 AM
Cosmotone8
silhouette of the past

Location: Boston, MA, USA, Earth, Sun Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Nature: Careful
Go on iTunes's new and noteworthy. Found a lot of good music that way.
But the more I try to move on, the more I feel alone
So I watch the summer stars to lead me home.

Old November 17th, 2012, 09:11 AM
Lance
Master of Dragons

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Skype™ to Lance
Pretty much via word of mouth from friends, what I see on the iTunes Charts, or in the media. Lots of my music I hear first in tv shows and movies, then I rush home to download it all, haha.
Old November 17th, 2012, 10:43 AM
My Pico
Can I taste your whip cream?

Anything catchy yo and if it pierces through my heart that's how I discover new music yo. (^o^)b

Old November 17th, 2012, 04:16 PM
Lilith
Protect his very soul.

Nature: Mild
I usually find new songs through Pandora radio. I jot down the title/artist and later look it up on Youtube. I'm quite backlogged in doing that, haha. I sometimes click on related songs after I'm done listening to a music video too.

Rarely, I will find a song I like while listening to the car radio. Now, I find it somewhat tough to jot down cool songs while riding in the car! I make a note on my phone and text away the lyrics I can decipher.
Old November 17th, 2012, 04:38 PM
Kroso
Feels like a failure
Community Supporter Tier 5

Nature: Gentle
Either by accident, or by word of mouth. Usually by accident.
Old November 18th, 2012, 04:44 AM
imevil
Biggest Scyther Fan
Community Supporter

Nature: Naughty
usually just on youtube and I see a related video that appeals to me.
Emerald Second City Challenge- COMPLETE
ULTIMATE MONOTYPE WATER!
Fire Red (COMPLETE) -> Crystal (COMPLETE) -> Emerald (COMPLETE) -> Platinum(COMPLETE -> Black 2

Hunger Games Challenge- District 8: Ruby 2/8

Old November 18th, 2012, 10:46 AM
AwesomeAsCrawdaunt
Shizariger on EGC

Completely at random. When I was reading about Video Brinquedo (those Brazilian vendors of terrible animations) I found out one of the theme tunes was a real song. I got and loved it.

Solstice is back. So why should you care? Because if you join it and set "Shizariger" as your Referrer, you will get my eternal love.
Old November 18th, 2012, 11:25 AM
Penta Penguin
You will refer to me as Pentarou.

Sometimes youtube channels, mainly youtube poops themselves. if there is a music I like, then I usually ask what the song is, or look up the lyrics themselves.

Looking for a scripter desperately for Pokemon Dark Nebula. If you
would like to help, drop me a PM or VM.
It's a Romhack btw.
~Twitter~ ~Youtube RH~ ~Youtube Music~
Old November 18th, 2012, 02:21 PM
gossamer

I use websites like Last.fm and Deezer and also friends are great for music!.
Old November 18th, 2012, 03:32 PM
double trouble!
Psyduck

I leave Pandora on all day. If I hear something I like, I put it in a text file so I'll remember.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links