The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Entertainment & Hobbies > Computers & Technology

Notices

Computers & Technology The place to go for all things tech and internet. Share a funny YouTube video or meme, discover the latest useful apps, or just get some free tech support.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old July 23rd, 2012, 01:02 AM
shenanigans
in rainbows

Talk us through how you, on an average day, use the internet. What sites do you visit, which services do you use, and for how long?
Old July 23rd, 2012, 04:54 AM
Hybrid Trainer
My Secrecy. My Advantage.

When I wake up the first thing I do on my laptop/ipod/phone/whatever is check PC for anything interesting or to see if I have any messages. That usually takes about five to ten minutes as I usually don't reply to messages as soon as I've woken up. After that I'll look through my emails and then have a look through Reddit to see if I've missed out on anything whilst I've been sleeping.
After that I usually just repeat myself. Going on PC, looking through Reddit, occasionally checking emails.
A bit later on I'll tend to sit on youtube or one of the anime streaming websites and watch a few episodes of something and then log off for the night.

Oh, and if it counts I'm on IRC and MSN and such through out the day so I'll be talking to other people whilst doing what I listed above.

"I am confident that if anyone actually penetrates our facades, even the most perceptive would still be fundamentally unprepared for the truth of House Dimir."
-Szadek, Lord of Secrets

Old August 16th, 2012, 03:13 PM
Sheep
sheep x steven OTP

Nature: Timid
/breathes life into thread

PC is usually the first thing I check when I get online. I'd spend a good half hour or so responding to new members' intro threads (who would've thought it'd be so addicting ffs) and then dig around other sections I visit, like Art Gallery and OVP. I'm on PC for a good few hours a day at the very least.

But yeah, PC aside (since this is a general internet thread), afterwards I'd check Youtube for any new subscription videos and watch 'em if they're ones I'm interested in. That could take anywhere from ten minutes to an hour. |D;;

I'd also dig around EGC (another forum) and browse through the new posts there at random intervals, but it's also one of the things I check as soon as I get online. Like PC, I probably spend a good few hours a day here altogether.

Checking my e-mail is something I forget to do but still try to at least once a day. Takes less than a minute.

All-in-all, my daily order of checking things seems to be:
PC -> EGC -> Youtube -> PC/EGC -> Youtube -> repeat until I remember to check my e-mail. Those are really the only sites I visit daily; anything else I visit once in a while so I didn't include them.

And.. yeah, that's all, really. >: My internet life is pretty boring tbh haha.

da best | family | my star | twin
club 1 club 2 club 3 LV
Avatar & Signature by Achromatic
Old August 17th, 2012, 06:02 AM
Pyrax
World Class Baka

Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via Skype™ to Pyrax
The first thing I usually do is check tumblr for any new replies (I have a couple of rp blogs). Once I've sent any new replies to my drafts, I work on existing ones. The time it takes me to do this depends on the size of the reply in question (ranging from a couple of minutes to an hour or so).
If I'm swamped with replies, I more or less spend the entire online day on tumblr working on replies.
Once that's done, I usually check myanimelist to update my list.

The rest of the day is usually spent browsing random sites. Apart from a handful of forums (Pokécommunity, Bulbagarden, Serebii and Zelda Universe are the main forums I go to), I usually go on sites like Youtube, Tvtropes, Facebook, etc.
Old August 18th, 2012, 02:23 PM
Shiny Celebi
Donator Tier 3
Community Supporter Tier 3

The first thing I do on the Internet is sign on to Skype and Bulbagarden Forums. I will check my messages and all Skype chats I am, then do some posting and chat if I feel like. I also check PC. I look at OVP and Other Chat and respond to any threads that interest me. Sometimes I visit youtube and watch a Lets Play of a game I'm playing though not very often. Every so often I check my MSN and Gmail. That's about it really. Im online a lot for several hours at a time.
Old August 18th, 2012, 02:28 PM
countryemo
The Day I've been running from
Community Supporter

Nature: Quiet
Send a message via Skype™ to countryemo
Well after I wake up, I open up Facebook to check for any Messages/Notifications but nothing really. Than I check on the latest Technology/Phone news on DroidDog and TechnoBuffalo and game news on ZeldaInformer. I use Youtube allot. I might check whats new on the Minecraft Forums and PokeCommunity/The Pokemon Plaza. Than I go back to check Facebook and Youtube.
(Really, I only use Facebook as a "RSS?" feed of DroidDog/TechnoBuffalo/ZeldaInformer news articles)

Old August 18th, 2012, 02:39 PM
Mr Cat Dog
It takes a lot to make a stew

Nature: Relaxed
For the most part, I'm online as soon as I get up in the morning. Weirdly, although I don't actively use it much any more, Facebook will always been the first site I check. I don't even get that many notifications, but it's just become a force of habit over the years to do so. This is closely followed by my Gmail and then Twitter. All three of these tabs will be kept open throughout the day so I can quickly be alerted to any changes.

Sometimes I'll go on PC straight away, sometimes I'll wait a few hours. It all depends on if I've got anything big on in my morning and what mood I'm in, to be honest. Usual moddy-stuff happens first, then a bit of a posting binge, then a general lurk for the rest of the day (in case I need to do more moddy stuff later on/a spambot comes etc.)

After that - or, sometimes, concurrently - I'll go on my entertainment websites. HitFix, The AV Club etc. And maybe the BBC website to check some news and current affairs and whatnot. At this point, I'll probably watch some TV; I watch most of my TV online and there's rarely a day where there's nothing to catch-up on.

The rest of the day is mainly made up of checking back on the websites I've mentioned earlier, as well as general browsing. As the day goes on, my activity becomes more sporadic, as real life interrupts the flow of the internet. Which is a good thing, of course, as too much internet is definitely a bad thing for me! :D
Old August 18th, 2012, 02:48 PM
Playful_Weasel
can I have a Pokepuff?
Community Supporter

Nature: Gentle
Send a message via Skype™ to Playful_Weasel
As soon as I get online, I always check all my emails, delete all of the ones I don't need, or interested on reading. From there its onto Facebook. Recently, not much has changed. All of that usually takes me about 2 hours or less.

After email and fb, I go to all forums I'm on. on the PokeCommunity, and two others one about the video game Grand Turismo, and the other forum is about learning languages and other cultures.

After that I go to my city's local news website, check out what happened during the day, and see what the weather will be like the next day, and to see what events will happen the next day (mainly for street/freeway closures, find out where to avoid driving)

After that I just search the net for whatever pops in my head. Before heading to sleep (that means to me turning off the computer for the night) I go back to the forums and see the latest replys.
#1 Patrat & Watchog Fan Ever!! just love those PokeMeerkats!!
I also love the - PokeMustelids - PokeFelines - PokeFoxes too!
Current Challenges - back to challenges
Random Challenge - Badges: 7/8 - game: X - Location: Couriway Town
Random Challenge - Badges: 4/8 - game: Y - Location: Kalos Power Plant
50/50 Challenge - Badges 6/8 - Game Y - Location: Dendemille Town/Frost Cavern

Last edited by Playful_Weasel; August 18th, 2012 at 02:52 PM. Reason: fixing minor mistakes
Old August 18th, 2012, 02:49 PM
Ephemeral Euphoria
Devil In Exile

I'm online whenever I get the chance nowadays but my routine is something like this.

Check emails.
Talk to friends over Skype and MSN.
Listen to music on Youtube.
Stumble upon bile so sick it would make Charles Manson jump back in horror just to kill the time.
Try my field at random online dating sites only to discover that they require a credit card.
Watch Nostalgia Critic.

Not in any particular order but yeah that's my routine in a nutshell. Gruesome ain't it.

Gotta love the high life.
Old August 18th, 2012, 03:44 PM
Pokemon Trainer UV
Attractively foolish

Nature: Serious
This is what I do:
1. Log on Xfire to see if mah bud is on.
2. Check Facebook
3. Check IGN
4. Check PokeCommunity
5. Go on a google excursion for random stuff (Usually Pokemon stuff) or check out 4Chan
6. Youtube for a while
7. Check out Facebook, IGN, Pokecommunity, and Dorkly again
8. Leave for a while, then come back to check Memebase and Cracked for nightly readings.

Last edited by Pokemon Trainer UV; August 18th, 2012 at 03:57 PM.
Old August 18th, 2012, 08:10 PM
Tsutarja
Happy Holidays

Nature: Jolly
My internet routine is soo variable that I cannot list them in any particular order XD but first things I always do (in the morning) is say hello on any IRC channel I visit and set my away status to back (not verbal in channels, btw), check any forums I commonly visit (including PC) and then my email. Once all of that is complete, I usually find a video to watch on Youtube or I listen to music via iTunes and then chat some on IRC. Once I get bored after all that, I go on drawception and on rare occasions, Facebook and or twitter.

Also, I usually stay logged onto IMs/Skype 24-7, so sometimes I answer IMs I get overnight for those (who usually stay on all the time as well) for them to see later or right away.
Old August 18th, 2012, 08:16 PM
droomph
mmm gurl that 90s
Community Supporter

Nature: Impish
PC, irl stuff, PC, random sites, PC, Youtube, sleep.

I'm pretty lame that way.

Old August 20th, 2012, 07:44 AM
Squirrel
This'll be a blast!
Community Supporter

Nature: Quirky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Cat Dog View Post
For the most part, I'm online as soon as I get up in the morning. Weirdly, although I don't actively use it much any more, Facebook will always been the first site I check. I don't even get that many notifications, but it's just become a force of habit over the years to do so. This is closely followed by my Gmail and then Twitter. All three of these tabs will be kept open throughout the day so I can quickly be alerted to any changes.
I do exactly this when I wake up. I have no idea why though, I never get notifications any more haha. But yeah, my internet day usually goes something like this:
  1. Check Facebook & Twitter
  2. Check PC
  3. Log into IRC and waste countless hours chatting whilst listening to music/concerts on YouTube
  4. Post around on PC and a Zelda forum
  5. Spend the night on IRC/MSN
  6. Play Minecraft and watch anime until ridiculous hours in the morning
  7. Head back to IRC and fall asleep around 5:30am
  8. Rinse & repeat
I wouldn't say it's the perfect lifestyle by any means, but it's alright. c:
Old August 20th, 2012, 09:47 AM
Dakota
ignore the whisper

Nature: Jolly
Send a message via Skype™ to Dakota
First, I check PC, look to see if I have any notifications. Regardless of if I do or don't, I check my Facebook next and respond to anything over there that needs responding. After that, it can go two ways. Either I'll respond to any VMs, or I'll put them to the side and check out OVP and other subforums for threads to answer. I'd do the other option after that. Then I'll probably go on Youtube and check to see if there are any new videos up. Occasionally, if I remember, I check my email, too. After that, the whole cycle repeats itself.
Old August 20th, 2012, 11:05 AM
Elite Overlord LeSabre™
Classic Elegance
Community Supporter

Nature: Quirky
I pop online for short bursts at various times of the day, mostly checking PC, Facebook, Yahoo Mail, and deviantArt, and I'll do these in any order. On all of these, I'll check for new notifications first. With PC, I'll go check the areas of the site I'm a regular on (OVP, DCC). Once a week I'll log onto Safebooru and Pixiv to get my weekly dosage of anime fan art (how do you think I accumulated all those pics of Leaf as well as various Pretty Cures xD), and visit various anime subbing sites to get the torrents for the current series I'm keeping up with. Other sites, I'll visit as I need to.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™
PC Vital Stats
* Pair
* PC Family
* Bishies
* VG Claims
* Friend Codes

Links
* Blog
* Web Site
* Fan Fictions:
* Leaf Green LP

Picture credit: Apple Cakes on deviantArt
Old August 21st, 2012, 08:22 AM
Cosmotone8
silhouette of the past

Location: Boston, MA, USA, Earth, Sun Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Nature: Careful
I normally wake up and check PC, go through all my subscribed threads and venture around the forums searching for threads that look interesting. After that I normally take a break for a bit until coming back to either go on PC or watch some Starcraft streams or something. If I'm still around after that I'll check out some stuff on Youtube and check my email if I remember. I'll also very occasionally check out Serebii just in case they have some news I like.
But the more I try to move on, the more I feel alone
So I watch the summer stars to lead me home.

Old August 21st, 2012, 02:08 PM
xelarator
Gentlemen.

I usually go online around noon-ish. I go chat with my PC friends on Mibbit for about an hour or so while i go stalk around OT. When I get shot by my friends bored, I exit the chat and go play online games (Maplestory, Lost Saga, TF2 etc.) for about two to four hours before getting told to stop and eat.

After I eat dinner, I go check things on Facebook, Twitter, and PC. After THAT is one, I just go play some games before its time to go to sleep.
Old August 22nd, 2012, 04:03 PM
Penta Penguin
The biggest underdog in the world

I go online at about 1pm, and I usually look up themetapicture, to see what new pics have come in, it's quite similar to reddit.

I then go on PC and check the new posts and stuff, and I might post in the process, or I might not.

I then visit youtube and check my account for any new notifications, or check the new videos that have been released.

I also check romhacking.net to see what hacks have been released, or any new tools which might be close to the games that I am romhacking. Sometimes I may log in to see what the posts are and stuff.

Next project: Pokemon Dark Nebula?

~Youtube~
Old August 22nd, 2012, 04:37 PM
Nintendork15
I'm gone. Bye.

Nature: Naughty
Get online.
Go to Facebook [human account]
Get bored and go to furry account.
Go to Pokécommunity and check the two links that are in my sig.
Go to Youtube and Deviantart and check for updates.
Upload stuff to those two sites if I feel it's worth uploading.
Go to ... urr ... .///. Not for your eyes.
Log out.
Go outside.
Old August 23rd, 2012, 04:09 AM
Kurui
Kageroza's Waifu

Nature: Calm
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Kurui Send a message via Skype™ to Kurui
I don't have a schedule. I usually check some of the forums I visit and all of the forums I own.

Then I spent most of the day chatting to my friends on messengers (Skyyype), Failbook, and etc. while working on game design things and doing chores/exercise, etc.
"Yor barmy...."
"o.o What's that?"

"Tha' means yor nu's, yor froo' loops, yor BANANAS!"

R.I.P. KAGEROZA. </3 T_T
I am Shi-Orihime Inaba on FailFacebook.

Old August 27th, 2012, 12:06 AM
Baloth
Trainer

Nature: Timid
Facebook, creep friends, talk to them. Go on a few forums, post, chat, roleplay. Browse through youtube and wikipedia to research random things of interest.

Hoenn RéBURST
Geoff Bates, 17 (w. Scarlett [Slugma] and Bandit [Poochyena])
Old August 27th, 2012, 12:56 PM
outfox
in

Send a message via Skype™ to outfox
I don't normally have this much spare time (I couldn't estimate the hours, some days I'm not able to get online at all, some days I'm on the computer for hours on end), and since PC is the only social place I frequent online, my time on the computer is usually just spent lighting up and reading articles/ebooks. And a little pirate adventure here and there, if you're picking up what I'm laying down.
Old September 5th, 2012, 05:34 PM
Alex
Nicholatian fury
Community Supporter

Nature: Bold
Send a message via Skype™ to Alex
So, because I have school, I usually don't get on in the morning. But I do have a school netbook with school-available internet, and I visit PC on there sometimes. But way back in North Carolina (living in Colorado now), it would be computer for weeks on end. Day and night, with a see-saw sleeping schedule.

As for my live within, I watch YouTube a lot - especially YouTubers like nigahiga, Smosh, RayWilliamJohnson, MunchingOrange/ErielR, and the occasional upload myself. I (used to) be ever-so-active on Bulbagarden until they attempted to trash my reputation on some bullcrap cause. I moved here after that, and hope to get a positive cashflow so I can continuously donate to this place <3. I visit Kat.ph a lot (because I'm a freeloader), and 4chan a lot for the occasional game of Risk I'll be The People's Republic of Anon, usually gray, if you see me ;D. I used to be on Facebook, but went on and off for a while. I went on the Microsoft Developer's Network back when I coded VB and C#. I also own a dead website or two that I'm trying to put its hosting to some use for (30G space, 300G bandwidth, cPanel). I read Wikipedia for things that no normal human being can answer, and did I mention Encyclopedia Dramatica? I love that site so much. I'm a user on there, and helped out with the articles on Bulbagarden, Shipping (ironic because I'm a shipper somewhat), and others.
Old September 6th, 2012, 10:59 AM
Thomas
HAIL HYDRA!
Community Supporter

Here is my list of internet todo's:

1) Check Twitter and Facebook for any mentions/notifications.
2) Check Reddit for any replies/votes to my comments/submitted links.
3) Go back to Twitter and Facebook and look at my timelines for stuff that happened while I was asleep.
4) Back to Reddit to browse the front page a bit.
5) Check out The Verge for any new/interesting tech articles.
6) Check Tumblr, and reblog some random stuff.
7) Check other blogs I've bookmarked.
8) PokeCommunity is usually last on my list because I'm not really an consistently active member, but when I am active it's usually higher on the list.
Old September 6th, 2012, 11:46 AM
Azure Rathalδs
tumblr famous doesn't count
Community Supporter

I usually check YouTube whenever I go on the internet, then I browse TVTropes for the rest of the day, as well as visit other sites such as PC, SSMB, Twitter and Blip.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links