The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Off-Topic Discussions > Discussions & Debates

Notices

Discussions & Debates The place to go for slightly more in-depth topics. Discussions and debates about the world, current events, ideas, news, and more.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old January 1st, 2013 (08:39 PM).
Plumpyfoof

Nature: Sassy
Send a message via Skype™ to Plumpyfoof
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshikkko View Post
You're looking too much into it. And the OP is too. There is nothing 'phylosophical' about the cup thing. Develop a better understanding? There is nothing to understand about the cup being half full and half empty at the same time, it's just that the way you look at it would determine whether you're an optimist or a pessimist. It has nothing more to it so this is just ridiculous. You can philosophize over things that aren't clear and raise questions - that isn't this lmao, the answer to this is clear because it's both at the same time. Nothing to philosophize about.
But that is exactly the essence of philosophy right there, to deny its existence within the most widely recognised philosophical question is contradictory.
I don't think you're looking deep enough into it to fully appreciate this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by von Weltschmerz View Post
And I, my good sir, was also speaking philosophy. The glass is always full. Maybe not with what you want... but it still is there and you must certainly make the best of it. I believe that to be a far better observation than either of the two that have been so vainly presented to me.
I apologise. You would be correct in a sense, although making the best of it is more of a solution than an observation. However I do like the observation "..always full. Maybe not with what you want"
Now we're entering a new dynamic rather than just the "half full or half empty" you're suggesting that we ask as well "what is the cup half full or half empty with?" and then on top of that we can go "how can we use it to our advantage?"
You want to talk some metaphysical philosophy in a glass just look at the way wine swirls inside a glass and overlaps itself, folding the air within it, releasing flavours and dissolving oxygen at the same time. We can assign real-world values for each of these qualities and still end up making metaphorical sense.
Old January 7th, 2013 (04:17 PM).
The_Consumer

I don't recall ever saying "hey look, it's a half empty/full glass of ___".
This is a philosophical question, but it can also be a logical one. There is probably no answer and I will give you 1,000,000 if you can confirm the correct one.
On another note, why be optimistic when you can be an eccentric pessimist
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links