The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > Research & Development

Notices

Research & Development Got a well-founded knack with ROM hacking? Love reverse-engineering the Pokémon games? Or perhaps you love your assembly language. This is the spot for polling and gathering your ideas, and then implementing them! Share your hypothesis, get ideas from others, and collaborate to create!
Research & Development programs in this forum are subject to moderator approval before they are displayed.

Advertise here

Old March 11th, 2013, 01:03 AM
Darthatron
巨大なトロール。
Community Supporter Tier 2

Nature: Modest

Advertise here
Regarding the tiles messing up, the following byte changes appear to fix it:

Code:
080A1A5A: 00 00 00 00
080A1A68: 00 00 00 00
This is also posted in the first post.
Old March 11th, 2013, 05:17 AM
Jambo51
Glory To Arstotzka

Nature: Quiet
Quote:
Originally Posted by robin22gongon View Post
Patch PLEASE! I really need it. It gets annoying when your repel expires and you have to go to your bag again just to use another.
Both myself and Darthatron firmly believe in not posting patches for this sort of stuff, unless it's simply too big to put into a small hack, like this. (An example of something too big to not make a patch for would be the 649 Patch).

It's the height of laziness to expect a patch for every little hack, especially when the actual work entailed in implementing this is little more than changing a few bytes with a hex editor and compiling a script.

So, since Darthatron will ignore you unless you actually try to do it, please take my advice. Try to do the hack yourself, and if you run into trouble, ask for Darth's help. I'm sure he'll be more than happy to oblige, but if you don't even try...

ETA: I plan to add this to the 649 Patch, assuming everything works. It's a very nice and logical addition to the game.

Last edited by Jambo51; March 11th, 2013 at 05:29 AM.
Old March 11th, 2013, 10:01 PM
robin22gongon

Nature: Quirky
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to robin22gongon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jambo51 View Post
Both myself and Darthatron firmly believe in not posting patches for this sort of stuff, unless it's simply too big to put into a small hack, like this. (An example of something too big to not make a patch for would be the 649 Patch).

It's the height of laziness to expect a patch for every little hack, especially when the actual work entailed in implementing this is little more than changing a few bytes with a hex editor and compiling a script.

So, since Darthatron will ignore you unless you actually try to do it, please take my advice. Try to do the hack yourself, and if you run into trouble, ask for Darth's help. I'm sure he'll be more than happy to oblige, but if you don't even try...

ETA: I plan to add this to the 649 Patch, assuming everything works. It's a very nice and logical addition to the game.
I already tried to do it 12 times but every time I do it, this is what happens:
Old March 11th, 2013, 10:34 PM
Jambo51
Glory To Arstotzka

Nature: Quiet
Then ask for help! Don't ask for a patch. Trust me when I say there's a reason that both of us have this stance towards patches. Sadly, I can't help as I've never applied the hack, but you (in each if your posts in this thread, ignoring this one) have asked for a patch.

I'm simply trying to help get you into the right mindset for hacking. When you get to the stage that people like Darthatron and myself are at, there's no copping out, no asking for patches, we need to do everything ourselves.

It's not just you, it's the entire culture around this site, and likely many other hacking sites. People want things done for them, never thinking that the person who made the hack in the first place probably had to do it from scratch.
Old March 11th, 2013, 10:59 PM
robin22gongon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jambo51 View Post
Then ask for help! Don't ask for a patch. Trust me when I say there's a reason that both of us have this stance towards patches. Sadly, I can't help as I've never applied the hack, but you (in each if your posts in this thread, ignoring this one) have asked for a patch.

I'm simply trying to help get you into the right mindset for hacking. When you get to the stage that people like Darthatron and myself are at, there's no copping out, no asking for patches, we need to do everything ourselves.

It's not just you, it's the entire culture around this site, and likely many other hacking sites. People want things done for them, never thinking that the person who made the hack in the first place probably had to do it from scratch.
Then help me, I'm just following the steps in the first post but that is what always happens. Can't you tell what I'm doing wrong? Also, Is this not possible for Pokemon Ruby?
Old March 12th, 2013, 12:17 AM
Darthatron
巨大なトロール。

Quote:
I already tried to do it 12 times but every time I do it, this is what happens:
When does this happen? After the repel has worn off? Does any text come up, or just that menu?
Quote:
Then help me, I'm just following the steps in the first post but that is what always happens. Can't you tell what I'm doing wrong? Also, Is this not possible for Pokemon Ruby?
It's possible for Ruby, but nobody has ported it yet. Once I work out if this is bug free, I will probably try to port it myself.
Old March 12th, 2013, 12:40 AM
robin22gongon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthatron View Post
When does this happen? After the repel has worn off? Does any text come up, or just that menu?

It's possible for Ruby, but nobody has ported it yet. Once I work out if this is bug free, I will probably try to port it myself.
Yeah it appears right after the repel expires and I count my steps so I'm pretty sure my repel expired and also no text come up, just that menu.

Also promise you would port it for Ruby. Thanks.
Old March 12th, 2013, 01:06 AM
Darthatron
巨大なトロール。

Quote:
Yeah it appears right after the repel expires and I count my steps so I'm pretty sure my repel expired and also no text come up, just that menu.
Well in that case, the script is not being called correctly. Did you set the right pointer to the script?
Quote:
Also promise you would port it for Ruby. Thanks.
I will promise nothing.
Old March 12th, 2013, 03:11 AM
robin22gongon

Quote:
Well in that case, the script is not being called correctly. Did you set the right pointer to the script?

I will promise nothing.
Yes! I'm sure I set the right pointer correctly for the script!

Also that last line was corny don't mind that. But please if you discover it, please tell me. And if I would experiment porting it to Ruby, would the script be the same?

EDIT: I got it to work but it doesn't ask me if I want to use another, it automatically uses a repel. Oh! and is it natural that it doesn't tell you that your repel expired and you got no more repels left?

BTW, how do you discover this kind of things?

Last edited by robin22gongon; March 12th, 2013 at 04:12 AM.
Old March 12th, 2013, 04:22 AM
Darthatron
巨大なトロール。

Quote:
I got it to work but it doesn't ask me if I want to use another, it automatically uses a repel.
That's very odd. There's no call to the repel routine except for in the script when you select "Yes".
Quote:
Oh! and is it natural that it doesn't tell you that your repel expired and you got no more repels left?
Well it doesn't tell you that you have none left, but you can edit that in yourself if you like, since I posted the script.
Quote:
BTW, how do you discover this kind of things?
Through an advanced type of hacking called Assembly (or ASM for short). There are tutorials in the Tutorials section.

Might I ask how you got it to work?
Old March 12th, 2013, 04:34 AM
robin22gongon

LOL I realised I didn't repoint it correctly because back then I would put 80 00 00 but I realized that couldn't be right so I searched the internet on repointing in hex and I found that I should put 00 00 80 08!

I walk 249 steps (MAX REPEL) and I take another step as it should my repel expires, but a text box comes up and says "ROBIN used MAX REPEL." Just that nothing more.

This is what the script I compiled looks like:
Code:
'-----------------------
#org 0x800000
lock
checkitem 0x800E 0x1
compare LASTRESULT 0x1
if 0x4 goto 0x880001A
msgbox 0x8800035 '"Repel's effect wore off."
release
end

'-----------------------
#org 0x80001A
msgbox 0x880004F '"Repel's effect wore off...\nUse ano..."
closeonkeypress
compare LASTRESULT 0x1
if 0x1 goto 0x880002E
end

'-----------------------
#org 0x80002E
callasm 0x81BFB69
end

'---------
' Strings
'---------
#org 0x800035
= Repel's effect wore off.

#org 0x80004F
= Repel's effect wore off...\nUse another?
Oh and about the Assembly, I know just a little but how do you do that and how did you find out which is which and what is what I mean that's another game and you managed to see how it works! Do you have some kind of resources that would point you to where and what bytes to edit?

Sorry for so many questions.
Old March 12th, 2013, 04:48 AM
Darthatron
巨大なトロール。

Quote:
LOL I realised I didn't repoint it correctly because back then I would put 80 00 00 but I realized that couldn't be right so I searched the internet on repointing in hex and I found that I should put 00 00 80 08!
I see. I figured it was that.
Quote:
I walk 249 steps (MAX REPEL) and I take another step as it should my repel expires, but a text box comes up and says "ROBIN used MAX REPEL." Just that nothing more.
So it doesn't say "Repel's effect wore off."? It goes straight to "ROBIN used MAX REPEL."?
Quote:
This is what the script I compiled looks like:
Code:
'-----------------------
#org 0x800000
lock
checkitem 0x800E 0x1
compare LASTRESULT 0x1
if 0x4 goto 0x880001A
msgbox 0x8800035 3 '"Repel's effect wore off."
release
end

'-----------------------
#org 0x80001A
msgbox 0x880004F 5 '"Repel's effect wore off...\nUse ano..."
closeonkeypress
compare LASTRESULT 0x1
if 0x1 goto 0x880002E
end

'-----------------------
#org 0x80002E
callasm 0x81BFB69
end

'---------
' Strings
'---------
#org 0x800035
= Repel's effect wore off.

#org 0x80004F
= Repel's effect wore off...\nUse another?
Perhaps the changes I marked in red will fix the problem? I don't even know how yours compiled. :\
Quote:
Oh and about the Assembly, I know just a little but how do you do that and how did you find out which is which and what is what I mean that's another game and you managed to see how it works! Do you have some kind of resources that would point you to where and what bytes to edit?
The ROM is the resource. Read the tutorials. I didn't see how it worked in BW, I just wrote it how it should work.
Quote:
Sorry for so many questions.
That's okay.
Old March 12th, 2013, 04:59 AM
robin22gongon

I tried it. It's still the same... Ugh! Just when I figured that 1 mistake!

EDIT: I rechecked in XSE the script and it's still the same the 3 and 5 disappears automatically. I also have tried to recompile it to another offset and guess what...

Spoiler:
It's still the same...
Old March 12th, 2013, 08:10 PM
Darthatron
巨大なトロール。

Quote:
I tried it. It's still the same... Ugh! Just when I figured that 1 mistake!

EDIT: I rechecked in XSE the script and it's still the same the 3 and 5 disappears automatically. I also have tried to recompile it to another offset and guess what...

Spoiler:
It's still the same...
I really have no idea. Try it again on a clean ROM from scratch? Are you using the latest version of XSE (1.1.1, I think)?
Old March 12th, 2013, 08:29 PM
robin22gongon

Yeah I'm using XSE 1.1.1.

I'll try it and I'm gonna report in a few days since my internet subscription's gonna be cut.
Old March 13th, 2013, 03:13 PM
robin22gongon

Hey there, do you think it can work if I use the "This is the compiled version of the script for anyone having problems"? That one?
Old March 13th, 2013, 05:32 PM
Darthatron
巨大なトロール。

Quote:
Hey there, do you think it can work if I use the "This is the compiled version of the script for anyone having problems"? That one?
Well that's what it's there for. Try it out.
Old March 13th, 2013, 06:13 PM
robin22gongon

Umm... Well, how do I do that? Do I still have to compile the script on the first page or just edit the bytes where I'm gonna compile it?

OH MY GOD... O-o It worked YAY! thanks dude! I love you! Can I make a patch for this?

This is it right? ZOMG

Now onto Ruby!

Last edited by robin22gongon; March 13th, 2013 at 06:32 PM. Reason: Your double post has been automatically merged.
Old March 13th, 2013, 06:38 PM
Darthatron
巨大なトロール。

Quote:
Umm... Well, how do I do that? Do I still have to compile the script on the first page or just edit the bytes where I'm gonna compile it?

OH MY GOD... O-o It worked YAY! thanks dude! I love you! Can I make a patch for this?

This is it right? ZOMG

Now onto Ruby!
I'd rather if you didn't make a patch. Think of how much you learned from doing this. Don't you want others to learn the same?

Good work, though.
Old March 13th, 2013, 06:48 PM
robin22gongon

Actually it's for personal use. Just so when I make a new Fire Red Hack I can implement it immediately without editing another byte. I just asked if it's okay because it's your property since you made it.

Also, IT IS possible for Ruby right? Can you tell me how I will research on it? I might actually look this up.

Last edited by robin22gongon; March 13th, 2013 at 06:54 PM.
Old March 13th, 2013, 10:56 PM
Darthatron
巨大なトロール。

Quote:
Actually it's for personal use. Just so when I make a new Fire Red Hack I can implement it immediately without editing another byte. I just asked if it's okay because it's your property since you made it.
It's public property once I post it here.
Quote:
Also, IT IS possible for Ruby right? Can you tell me how I will research on it? I might actually look this up.
Of course it's possible. You will need to do a lot of research in to ASM before you'll be capable of doing it, though.
Old March 13th, 2013, 11:25 PM
robin22gongon

Quote:
It's public property once I post it here.

Of course it's possible. You will need to do a lot of research in to ASM before you'll be capable of doing it, though.
Well right now, I know the basics. Learning a few advanced.

Last edited by robin22gongon; March 14th, 2013 at 12:39 AM.
Old March 14th, 2013, 12:27 AM
Darthatron
巨大なトロール。

Quote:
Well right now, I know the basics. Learning a few advanced.

Also one more thing, a little off-topic.
Do you know how I can implement the physical/special split of attack in Ruby? Also the new attacks? Is it through ASM? Sorry just wondering and hoping you know it.
I think someone already ported that to ruby? Either way, it requires the same stuff as porting this. You need to be able to do several things:
  1. Understand what needs to be done and be able to structure code.
  2. Be able to locate/understand functions or write functions that do what you need to do.
  3. Be able to locate somewhere to put your code so it runs.

Either way, it's not easy. It's taken me years to be able to do this stuff. You need to go to the Tutorials section and do some ASM tutorials. Before you can find and use code effectively, you need to be able to write it in the most simple forms.

Follow some tutorials and then PM me. But don't post in here about off-topic stuff because it makes everything look messy.
Old March 30th, 2013, 09:17 PM
dkp
Unhatched Egg

So, I've been testing this out out of late, but I keep running into the same error:

All of the repels seem to have their effects corrupted. The text pulls up fine, the item gets "used", the script seems to work fine. However, whenever I attempt to implement this somehow the repel effect itself seems to stop working.

So say I'm testing it out; I go into the bag and use a repel. The text "Leaf used a Repel" pops up, the number decreases, all normal. But if I then walk into the grass or over water or what have you, I still get wild encounters. Despite still getting wild encounters, once I walk 250 steps or so, I get the right message; it asks me to use a repel, and if I say yes, it subtracts one from the bag until I have none. But even still, I get wild encounters.

May I ask which offset controls the wild encounter altering behavior for the item? Or if that's even changed at all by this (a problem on my end)? (or what part of the script)? While I've checked and rechecked it might be a copy error, though I don't think so.

I've used both a greatly hacked BPRE v1.0 rom and a clean one (though for the clean I did use thethethe's Item Editor via Gamer2020's Pokemon Game Editor to change the price, and A-Map and XSE to insert a shop/sprite in Pallet to make testing easier; this is after the offsets were changed; if there's a problem with this method I'm unaware of it would be nice to know).

Thanks for any help offered.
Hey! If you're a tool maker or you have a resource to contribute, but you're not up to trying to make a guide, I'll be happy to try and write one up for you if you want. All I need is a pm and the offsets.
Old March 30th, 2013, 10:36 PM
robin22gongon

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkp View Post
Yes, naturally... Unfortunately, it seems to be interfered with by what I've got going already... pity. Brilliant though. Now I just need to track down what's wrong.
Based on your post, I guess you've already started progress on your ROM am I right? If so, and you want to keep your progress and at the same time fix the problem, follow this:

Spoiler:
Step 1
Do it on a clean FR ROM. Do it and edit the bytes with the same offsets.

Step 2
Test it. If it works, make a patch for it.

Step 3
Backup your progressed ROM. Apply the patch. Make sure the patch overwrites the old bytes and offsets. Now test it.

Step 4
Party non-stop. Hehehe... Hope it helps.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here