The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Off-Topic Discussions > Discussions & Debates

Notices

Discussions & Debates The place to go for slightly more in-depth topics. Discussions and debates about the world, current events, ideas, news, and more.

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old December 15th, 2012, 09:44 AM
LilJz
Make me your Aphrodite
Community Supporter

Nature: Quiet
The mayans made a calendar that each ends in a cycle of 5000-something years. And the last one they made before mysteriously disappearing just happens to be on 2012.
Old December 15th, 2012, 09:51 AM
Shiny Celebi
Donator Tier 3
Community Supporter Tier 3

I think all this is silly. So a long Mayan calander ends, why do people think the world will end just because of that?The world is not going to end. I think the Mayan civilization simply vanished before another calander could be made and that's all there is to it.
Old December 15th, 2012, 10:01 AM
Sassy Milkshake
It's ok to cry.

Nature: Sassy
Frankly I'm kind of tired of all this. I talk to people all the time that actually believe in this. What are they doing with their last week? Sitting in class and studying for finals. Is that not enough to say they really don't believe the world is going to end?

Old December 15th, 2012, 01:05 PM
Zumi
New Account: Ultraviolence
Community Supporter

Nature: Lax
There are so many different theories as to what will happen it simply isn't believable anymore (not that I believed in it at all). It's fear-mongering at its best. Y2K didn't happen, 6/6/6 didn't happen and neither did this "rupture" that was meant to happen at least 4 times last year...

Also, I'm pretty sure the Mayan's never said it will end, rather, it will change. There are so many different stories that I really don't see any truth in it at all.

Old December 15th, 2012, 01:34 PM
Lateon
The Eon Follower

Send a message via AIM to Lateon Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Lateon Send a message via Yahoo to Lateon
I'm sure that their calender ending had nothing to do with the decline and fall of their empire. Or maybe the person writing it got carpal tunnel.

Forum Activity
Wifi Activity

Currently Working On

Old December 15th, 2012, 07:42 PM
Phantom
Uh, I didn't do it...
Community Supporter

Nature: Brave
Eh, it's okay, the Doctor will save our butts from some form of apocalypse of our own creation.
Old December 15th, 2012, 07:51 PM
Hikamaru
pseudologia fantastica
Community Supporter

Nature: Quirky
I second Counterfeit's post.

This "end of the world" conspiracy is pointless, I mean 06/06/06 didn't happen, and neither did Y2K, so I know this won't happen either. The Mayans are celebrating the end of an era, not the end of all humanity, like what Razor Leaf said.

Also, like what Yoshikkko said, this is all a silly joke.

Paired with AWsquared and Starry Windy
Battle Server | Tumblr | TWL | Profile | Supporter

i'll be gone for a while, here's why

Old December 15th, 2012, 07:52 PM
CarcharOdin
Master of The Universe
Community Supporter

Nature: Naughty
NASA has confirmed that on December 21st, in late afternoon, the sky will turn very dark, it is an interesting phenomenon called "night".
Old December 15th, 2012, 08:29 PM
Blade_of_darkness
War Machine
Community Supporter

Nature: Rash
Send a message via Skype™ to Blade_of_darkness
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiny Celebi View Post
I think all this is silly. So a long Mayan calander ends, why do people think the world will end just because of that?The world is not going to end. I think the Mayan civilization simply vanished before another calander could be made and that's all there is to it.
That's what I think, too. If one thinks about it, the Mayans have died out before they could carve up a new calender, namely due to the Spanish Conquistadores back then. Though, I'm not certain if that's how the Mayans died off. If anyone knows for sure, please tell me.

^ The last thing you see before you die ^
Old December 15th, 2012, 09:13 PM
dcjboi
With Quiet Courage

Nature: Timid
Send a message via Skype™ to dcjboi
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarcharOdin View Post
NASA has confirmed that on December 21st, in late afternoon, the sky will turn very dark, it is an interesting phenomenon called "night".
Gave me a quick giggle at how hilariously outrageous people are who truly without a doubt believe in this.

Old December 15th, 2012, 09:43 PM
Mr. X
Oops
Community Supporter

http://oddnews.org/77-odd-news/2255-...the-world.html

Whats really sad, is that he's likely going to make a **** load of money off of his balls of steel.

Come play Runescape
Old December 18th, 2012, 11:20 AM
skyluigi2
L-let's-a go...!

Nature: Jolly
Send a message via Skype™ to skyluigi2
Sigh... this whole talk of the world ending is just nonsense.
I overheard people in my college talking about how they weren't going to study because apparently the world's going to end... have fun failing your exams!

☆ 3DS FC: 5069-3912-3062
☆ Let me know if you've added me!

☆ Next most anticipated game(s): Super Smash Bros. for 3DS, Bayonetta 2, Fantasy Life, Hyrule Warriors and Pokémon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire

☆ Currently playing: Pokémon Platinum and Animal Crossing: New Leaf

☆ I'm known on Twitter as skyluigi2 as well

skyluigi2
Old December 18th, 2012, 11:52 AM
Isaac.

I remember when this came up in 1999, people are crazy o.o
Old December 18th, 2012, 12:06 PM
AWsquared
It's another wolf bite.
Community Supporter

Nature: Modest
Send a message via Skype™ to AWsquared
I honestly can't wait for Friday and Saturday to get over with cause then I won't have to hear this "end of the world" crap anymore and I can finally enjoy Christmas.

Mega Sceptile and Treecko for life yo.
DeviantArt |Tumblr | Art Gallery| Ask Me Stuff |Paired to | Avatar source:[x]
Old December 18th, 2012, 08:13 PM
Unknown#
'Cause why not?
Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
Now while I don't expect the world to end, if it does I expect it to be some sort of zombie apocalypse.

Now, on a serious note, on December 22 should Netflix label "2012" as a comedy?

Old December 18th, 2012, 11:54 PM
CarcharOdin
Master of The Universe
Community Supporter

Nature: Naughty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown# View Post
They should. I think I'd even consider watching it after the "event" happens and getting a big laugh out of it.
Old December 19th, 2012, 06:10 AM
cacturne4512
Psyduck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown# View Post

Yes, they should. And in the future, when I have children, I'm going to show them the movie and be like "I survived that."

My band director said that if the world ends on Friday, we're still holding our concert right through the apocalypse. Now that's dedication.
Old December 19th, 2012, 07:03 AM
Cid
Find your niche.

Nature: Calm
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Cid Send a message via Skype™ to Cid
I'm personally excited to see what will happen. The hype gets tiring to hear after a while, sure, but these sorts of stuff don't happen every so often. I don't believe the world will end; the Mayans themselves certainly didn't (they're actually supposed to celebrate, if they were still around, to usher the new b'ak'tun, instead of being blithering idiots). So seriously, get it together, people.

To quote a certain pop song from 2010, "It ain't the end of the world."

It's fun to have a pseudo-occasion like this in pop culture though, I mean try searching Tumblr for related stuff. You'll see "Dawn of The Second Day -48 Hours Remain-" posts, and if you're a Zelda fan (it's a Majora's Mask reference, specifically), then you might actually find it mildly entertaining.
Old December 19th, 2012, 07:15 AM
Lateon
The Eon Follower

Send a message via AIM to Lateon Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Lateon Send a message via Yahoo to Lateon
T minus 2 days!

I saw a thing on the news the other day- this guy had a bunch of things packed into a bed and was getting ready to go to his bunker.

Forum Activity
Wifi Activity

Currently Working On

Old December 19th, 2012, 07:54 AM
Pinkie-Dawn
I Am Become Death

A friend of mine told me that he heard about a group planning to commit suicide on December 21, which is very saddening yet ridiculous if the world didn't end.
Old December 19th, 2012, 09:37 AM
Blade_of_darkness
War Machine
Community Supporter

Nature: Rash
Send a message via Skype™ to Blade_of_darkness
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkie-Dawn View Post
A friend of mine told me that he heard about a group planning to commit suicide on December 21, which is very saddening yet ridiculous if the world didn't end.
A better plan is to wait it out until there are actually any signs that the world will end for real before actually suiciding. But hey, if people like them are going to be this impulsive, then they will not be missed if it happens to be a hoax.

^ The last thing you see before you die ^
Old December 19th, 2012, 10:29 AM
Eurydice
`~♥Eury♥~'

Sure I believe the world is going to end....just not on dec 21. i believe we will never actually guess the date it will just happen. this is just another one of those hoaxes to get everyone panicked. the mayans stopped the calender there because of some reason other then the end of the world.

Pair
Old December 20th, 2012, 12:47 AM
Iqid Loopz
Hail HYDRA! Long live the SITH! Team LANNISTER!

Ways of Earth could be seeing its doom

Mother Nature - Earth would be soiling itself and on us with in this week. There hasn't been any tragic mother nature acts this week. Unless the ring of fire just suddenly explodes and monsters arise of the cracks, and forces us to send mountain size robots to fight them for us.

Solar flare from the Sun - Our Sun is waaay to young to murder us all.

Asteroids - Okay at least one or two astronomers would said something to the public that they found something hurdling towards us. unless some one is lying... dun dun dun.

Aliens - Same as the Asteroids. But Alien invasion would be second as a way to go out. It be awesome! Don't lie. It would.

Planet alignment - apparently it happened before, and nothing happens.

Earth rotation spins the opposite - Meh. Nothing would honestly happen.

Change of the poles - Though...We might get affected some how in the long run. ex Canada would be at the bottom of Earth and we would be getting the hot weather. And more floods after the snow melts. But wont happen.

The inside of Earth acts up - Okay, this could probably kill us. Our lands shift in some way or form due to unstable crust, entire continents slides, giant tsunamis form from the force, a lot of us would drown. Just imagine LA becoming the new north pole. But wont happen.

Zombie Apocalypse - I WOULD LOVE TO GO THOROUGH A ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE. I would be so ready for one. I'm pretty good with a bow and katana sword. So I'm good when it comes to defending myself. and the rules of a zombie outbreak. I would go out as a G!

Or Some power hungry idiot turns a key and presses the button, launching nukes. I'm looking at you North Korea. Or mad scientist creates a black hole on Earth.

But we do live in a world that anything could happen. So we just have to wait. But on the second thought. Australia, Asia would be going through disasters, hopefully they don't though.
Old December 20th, 2012, 12:58 AM
Squidchan
The Lady Cthulhu

Nature: Lonely
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iqid Loopz View Post
Ways of Earth could be seeing its doom

Mother Nature - Earth would be soiling itself and on us with in this week. There hasn't been any tragic mother nature acts this week. Unless the ring of fire just suddenly explodes and monsters arise of the cracks, and forces us to send mountain size robots to fight them for us.

Solar flare from the Sun - Our Sun is waaay to young to murder us all.

Asteroids - Okay at least one or two astronomers would said something to the public that they found something hurdling towards us. unless some one is lying... dun dun dun.

Aliens - Same as the Asteroids. But Alien invasion would be second as a way to go out. It be awesome! Don't lie. It would.

Planet alignment - apparently it happened before, and nothing happens.

Earth rotation spins the opposite - Meh. Nothing would honestly happen.

Change of the poles - Though...We might get affected some how in the long run. ex Canada would be at the bottom of Earth and we would be getting the hot weather. And more floods after the snow melts. But wont happen.

The inside of Earth acts up - Okay, this could probably kill us. Our lands shift in some way or form due to unstable crust, lands slides, giant tsunamis form from the force, a lot of us would drown. Just imagine LA becoming the new north pole. But wont happen.

Zombie Apocalypse - I WOULD LOVE TO GO THOROUGH A ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE. I would be so ready for one. I'm pretty good with a bow and katana sword. So I'm good when it comes to defending myself. and the rules of a zombie outbreak. I would go out as a G!

Or Some power hungry idiot turns a key and presses the button, launching nukes. I'm looking at you North Korea. Or mad scientist creates a black hole on Earth.
In regards to asteroids and aliens, we would see them coming for a long time before that got here (just to cover this argument, why would aliens hide if they are going to destroy us? They don't need to surprise us), earth rotation and change of poles are gradual events, I don't want to say that zombie apocalypse is impossible, but civilization is too advanced for one to begin. Planetary alignment that has been talked allot isn't even a proper alignment... So yea, nothing happening with that.

But yea, I agree with this.
Old December 20th, 2012, 03:55 AM
twocows
Pretentious Intellectual Jerk
Community Supporter

Nature: Lax
Don't worry guys, I think I've got this one covered.
Spoiler:

If not, at least we'll go out in style
Spoiler:

I don't really buy into it much, but it's fun to joke about. I'm more upset about the fact that USPS still hasn't delivered the package I ordered yet. I thought it was supposed to be "Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed rounds." Apparently "apocalypse" isn't included in that.

PM me if you have computer troubles. I work in IT for a living and can probably solve your problems. My rate is $expensive/hr, but I'm still cheaper than Creep Squad and, unlike them, will actually get the job done or let you know if I can't.

Quote:
The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all.
- H. L. Mencken, unsourced

Quote:
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."
- Isaac Asimov, Column in Newsweek (21 January 1980) [source]

NEW 40K MMOFPS YESSSSS

Last edited by twocows; December 20th, 2012 at 04:07 AM.
Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links