The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Discussions > Pokémon General

Notices

Pokémon General Theories, experiences and other discussions regarding the Pokémon franchise that can't be covered in any of the other boards.
Feel like talking about Pokémon manga? Check this out! Want to discuss and share Pokémon music and videos? Click here!

Advertise here

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old November 3rd, 2012, 05:14 PM
Volcanix769
Known as the Quilava Guy!

Nature: Careful

Advertise here
Everyone who likes Pokemon just does, but what's the reason(s) that made you like it?

Is it because of the anime since it first came out with it's own plot and unique set of characters aiming for a goal? EX: Ash wanting to beat the Pokemon League.

Is it because of how the Pokemon look like or what they are? Such as a Charizard, a fire breathing lizard that's a dragon with a flame, and Pikachu, the famous electric rodent.

How about the manga since it's also good and has a unique set of characters and differs it's plot from the anime.

Is it because of the games since you can use a Pokemon for many different things, such as battling, PMD Adventures with defeating bad guys, Contests, Competitive Battling, or ROM hacking?

Or is it because you just love it for the way it is?

For me, I just like on how there is many kinds of Pokemon there is and how you can use them for many things in Pokemon and in battling. Also for the types of games there is that have endless fun, such as PMD 2: EoT and Pokemon Black. How it began is when I used to watch it as a kid and when I got Pokemon LeafGreen. It got me instantly hooked.

Last edited by Volcanix769; November 3rd, 2012 at 06:44 PM.
Old November 3rd, 2012, 05:38 PM
Anna
"it has no brakes"
Community Supporter

Nature: Bold
I started out liking the anime. I remember watching it premier on whatever channel in America. Like the very first episode broadcast here. And I watched it for a long time... only missed a few episodes of the Original Trio's adventures. Then I quit when May came in because I was like that back then.

But then I got Emerald and after much suspicion, fell in love with Hoenn. I went back to AG anime and just... idk man I adore Hoenn above all else. The region is gorgeous and that's the first thing I loved. And then I started adoring my team and all the Pokemon met and yes. Exploring regions is fun and all the Pokemon are cool and thinking about what inspired them and seeing that reflected in the final product is just amazing. And there's so much within the franchise to analyse and consider and gosh it's all amazing okay.

And I feel like it gets even better as you get older and properly think about it. Like when you're kid, you just watch the anime or play the game through and you just take in the surface of it... then you play again or watch more episodes and you notice more; things start coming together; you figure things out and form more opinions based on the information you keep collecting. You find out what works, what doesn't, what fits together, what certain things mean... and every time you look at it again there's something new or something you forgot. And that's just really enticing.

ps hi I'm Anna and I make very long sort-of topical posts for no reason

{ Pairs + Family }
{ Clubs + Theme }

Connection
Old November 3rd, 2012, 05:44 PM
Ven Bloodia
Unmenschsoldat

Nature: Bold
I love it because of the limitless possibilities I have when it comes to team making. It's the ultimate multiplayer game if you ask me.
"Well what else is there to talk about, apart from the weather, the assassination attempt of the day being sponsored by El Dente's, and of course the latest political sex scandal involving foreign tranny midgets and elderly men in a 3000 dollar hot tub in a Beverly Hills suite."
Old November 3rd, 2012, 05:51 PM
Hikamaru
I won't look back
Community Supporter

Nature: Quirky
What I love about Pokemon is the very appealing characters, there's both a mixture of toughness and cuteness, and I love many Pokemon too.

I got into Pokemon with the anime first, and then the games. Also, the stories and strategies make it such a fun franchise which is why I've stuck with it for 13 years.

paired with AWsquared and Starry Windy
battle server | tumblr | twl | profile | supporter

Old November 3rd, 2012, 06:00 PM
Volcanix769
Known as the Quilava Guy!

Nature: Careful
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ven Bloodia View Post
I love it because of the limitless possibilities I have when it comes to team making. It's the ultimate multiplayer game if you ask me.
Agreed, even with how much there is there to make a perfect team.
Old November 3rd, 2012, 06:00 PM
Zero Percent
Loading... Please wait

Nature: Relaxed
Well, when I first picked up Pokemon Sapphire, it was amazing to a 6 year old's mind. All these mythical creatures.. well, it was everything I could dream of at the time.

Plus I'm a huge fan of the spin-offs, they're great, too. Just how huge Pokemon is makes me love it.
Old November 3rd, 2012, 06:10 PM
Syltti
Lilligant's Loving Trainer

Nature: Calm
I first learned of Pokemon when I was a kid, my very first episode was with Ash, Brock, and Misty about to get on the S.S. Anne. Then soon my mom came home with Pokemon Red.

Then... it all began..

FC - 4012-4737-6781
Y Battle Record: [0 Win(s) - 1 Loss(es) - 0 Tie(s)] - Latest Battle Video: N/A
"Ryana.. She's a Necromancer. Hers, however, uses a very peculiar system and grants her amazing abilities that no other necromancer has managed to replicate. Necromancers can control zombies, skeletons, and ghasts; Ryana specializes in zombies, but has a secondary handle on skeletons. People see Necromancers as horrible abominations. Ryana is nothing of the sort. It would take less than a day for anyone to realize that."

Fuyou Ayame - Elven Alchemist. Loving Mother. Royal Guardian.
Old November 3rd, 2012, 09:29 PM
zid_sen
The Sacred Thunder of Aselis

Nature: Lonely
Well,
it's because the game!
The story of Pokemon Platinum is touched me and the battle system is really good!
That's why i'm a maniac of pokemon #SLAPP

Thanks to Rambagos in Pokemon Stars
For The Signature
Old November 3rd, 2012, 11:00 PM
Seki
You idiot!

Nature: Jolly
I can't remember, it happened like about 10~15 years ago... WHEN I WAS STILL A YOUNG AND ADORABLE CHILD. How could I remember. I guess I will try and remember.

Must be because Pokemon was the popular thing and my parents heard about it and bought for me a Gameboy Colour and Pokemon Red.

That or maybe when I was young, I watched the anime and begged my parents to buy me a Gameboy.

Last possibility: My cousins all have a Gameboy and my mother seeing me left out, bought me one, with Pokemon red inside.

I just have no clue because its like I know Pokemon ever since I was born.

VM | PM | MyAnimeList | Theme | Pairs | Previously
Old November 3rd, 2012, 11:19 PM
Autumn Reverie
wibbly wobbly... timey wimey... stuff.

I don't remember why I got into pokemon in the first place. All I remember was myself watching my neighbour playing Gold, playing it for a while and moving the player around the screen, battling a few wild pokemon..I think it really interested me. Plus I wasn't one of those girls who liked to play with Barbies and all those stuff other girls usually play with, so pokemon really caught my attention.

Now that I'm older, I love pokemon for it makes you focus on strategic team building and that all members must work together to defeat enemies. One member alone just won't cut it, and I've learnt that along the way.

pairs | twitter | showdown | pc family
Old November 4th, 2012, 01:04 AM
abarai
Howl, Zabimaru !
Community Supporter Tier 4

Nature: Hardy
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to abarai
Long time ago but the main things i remmber is receiving pokemon red for christmas, i had seen episodes prior to getting the game but wasn't hooked unil then. Other thing i remember is going to the cinemas to see the first pokemon movie (+ getting the TCG promo cards), loved the movie, still my favourate out of all of them. Ever since i just always bought a copy of the latest games. Finid it hard to watch the series now though.
We at this moment head into the decisive battle. Have faith that our blades will not shatter. Have faith that our hearts will not waiver. And even if our paths should diverge, we all share a heart of iron.
Trade Shop Friend Code Credits

Old November 4th, 2012, 02:45 AM
Hannah
exceptionally ordinary

My cousin first introduced me to Pokemon three or four years ago. He told me the channel where I could watch the anime, and at that time, Ash was still in Kanto. It wasn't really appealing to me at first, but when Dawn made her first appearance, I got stuck with Pokemon ever since. Dawn was the whole reason why I began to like Pokemon. After that, I started to play the games, and the rest is history.

i ii iii iv
you're just as
sane as i am

Old November 4th, 2012, 03:46 AM
Altomare
Purupuru!

I don't play the games (don't have Game boy or DS) but the anime was being aired back then in a local TV station and I ended up liking it. Part of it was because of the diversity of the pokemon creatures, there are so many! Also another was because my other classmates also like it, and we'd end up playing the TCG and chatting about the anime at breaktimes.
Old November 4th, 2012, 05:24 AM
Urugamosu
Smiles are free, you know~
Community Supporter

Nature: Gentle
I fell in love with it, because of the amount of Pokémon there were! I mean 151 goddamn pokémon?!
This is madness. :D

Adventures, are sometimes even the simplest things.
ProfileYouTubeRedditPokeCommunityBlog
Old November 4th, 2012, 10:50 AM
Black Mage
Master of the Elements
Community Supporter

Nature: Naughty
I first got into Pokemon because my brother's friend let him borrow his Blue version and I sat watching him play. My brother wouldn't let me play though because he thought I'd "screw it up." Eventually my brother got his own Red version and I got my own Blue version. It was love at first play. The cards eventually sucked me in too and like the rest of my school I was obsessed. Eventually people moved on but I never really did. I remember getting Gold version when it came out and playing it obsessively at my brother's soccer game. I pretended I didn't feel good so I didn't have to play in my soccer game and could play more.

I did stop playing for a little bit after Crystal but when RS were announced I obsessively checked Serebii for game updates. And I was sucked into the internet fandom of Pokemon. I love everything about it. The Pokemon themselves, the characters, the regions to explore and even the subpar stories. I can't pick one thing about the franchise I love the most because I love it all. It honestly has changed my life for the better and the worst and I wouldn't have it any other way. Pokemon is by far my favorite thing in the universe.
Old November 4th, 2012, 01:34 PM
True Honey
Unhatched Egg

I first got into Pokemon due to my love for the Anime. Also, one of my friends had gotten Pokemon Blue for his Gameboy Color and that sparked my interest in the game. After that I played through Pokemon Snap and Pokemon Colosseum which were both great games. Though, mostly I became a fan due to the anime which led me to the games.

Avatar & Signature: The Little Flying Jumpluff by ~ alright123100 (deviantART)
Old November 4th, 2012, 01:41 PM
Brendino
Hold your breath. Make a wish. Count to three.

Nature: Quiet
I'm pretty sure I got into Pokemon thanks to the anime and later on the cards, but it definitely wasn't the games (didn't play Yellow until about a year after the show started). I actually remember watching the first episode that was ever shown on TV in North America (Battle Aboard the St. Anne), but thinking back, I had always assumed that I had just missed the first couple of episodes and started watching there. It turns out that the episode was shown as a sneak peek to the series, so I had been watching it from the very beginning.

I also remember the cards being huge at my school, and basically all kids would do during recess would be trading cards (even if we didn't quite know how to play). After a few months, the cards were banned at the school, even though I never really understood why. I even remember where I was when I opened my first pack, and I remember that Dewgong was the first card that I saw from it.
Old November 4th, 2012, 02:22 PM
Mr Cat Dog
Everything Will Be OK

I imagine I got into Pokemon because I was a ridiculously impressionable 8-year-old, and the entire media seemed to be obsessed with it for about two years. I watched the anime and played the games because you couldn't NOT watch the anime or play the games as a child in my peer group. The cards were easier to avoid, especially given that they were banned in my school after a few months of their release, but everything else was unavoidable due to intense media interest. When that died down after the release of GSC, however, I didn't really want to let my Pokemon obsession die with it. While it started as a response to a media phenomenon, I'd become attached to those little Pokemon critters and wanted to see what new adventures they'd go on next.
Old November 4th, 2012, 06:59 PM
Playful_Weasel
let's be friends!
Community Supporter

Nature: Gentle
Send a message via Skype™ to Playful_Weasel
It all started with the anime, when I was about 12 years old, when it first premiered in the USA. So for long it was the anime that I would watch. I first didn't play the games until about 8 months after Fire Red came out. When my uncle found a DS that someone left behind in a bank. Inside was Pokemon FireRed!! After that, well, I have been a fan ever since. I don't know what happened to that DS, it got lost, so now, my new DS lite is scheduled to arrive on Tuesday.

edit: it arrived a day early
#1 Patrat & Watchog Fan Ever!! just love those PokeMeerkats!!
I also love the - PokeMustelids - PokeFelines - PokeFoxes too!
Current Challenge -
Random Challenge - Badges: 2/8 - game: X

Last edited by Playful_Weasel; November 7th, 2012 at 02:40 PM.
Old November 7th, 2012, 01:08 AM
Mr Popo
Unhatched Egg

Iv'e always liked the whole idea of leveling up different party members in games and learning new abilities, therefore i like similar RPG's that use these same principles.
Old November 7th, 2012, 04:15 AM
Nearsighted king of Ice
We'll get to that tomorrow

Nature: Naive
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Nearsighted king of Ice Send a message via Yahoo to Nearsighted king of Ice
I liked it because of the cards and all the cool creatures

Make sense? Oh, what fun is there in making sense?

Black FC: 1592-5761-9212
Pokemon X FC: 2921-9174-9000
Old November 7th, 2012, 09:14 AM
Caitlind
Unhatched Egg

Nature: Timid
I am really going to be showing my age here. I first started playing pokemon in 97 or 98 (ironically, when I was 7-8 years old) when the red and blue games were released. I got them on Christmas morning, played my entire Christmas break, and have been enjoying the games/watching the anime ever since. I never really let go of the comforting feeling I get from settling down to play. I suppose in a small way, the franchise grew with me in a small way because they expanded the games and kept me captivated through my teenage years and beyond.

Now I'm 22 and still playing... I don't believe I'll ever give it up.
Old November 7th, 2012, 09:18 AM
Blaze42
The Spirit of Chaos

I remember it like it was yesterday... My older brother called me into his room to see something. I sat down on the beanbag chair, and on the TV was Pokémon. My tiny brain was blown. How colorful everything was, how cool the different creatures were... Soon after, my dad and I played through the two Shadow Pokémon games... And everything after is history.
Old November 7th, 2012, 10:13 AM
PlatinumDude
Nyeh?
Community Supporter

Nature: Hasty
Send a message via Yahoo to PlatinumDude Send a message via Skype™ to PlatinumDude
I originally liked Pokemon for the show and the cards, but now I like it for the video games (and the anime as well).

Old November 8th, 2012, 06:54 AM
Valvatorez
Prinny Instructor

To be honest? The reason I liked Pokemon initially was because all my friends did. Everyone liked Pokemon back then, it was a nationwide craze...or at least a local area craze, but when you're a kid the entire world revolves around you; I never heard a single bad word about Pokemon when I was younger. Being eight or nine years old at the time, I was a happy little drone content to be a part of it; I didn't even stop to think about it, I just thought something along the lines of "Hey, this is really cool!" and went with it from there. The anime was exciting, the games were fun, and there was nothing quite like bragging about which cards you had. It was something I could share with my friends and it wasn't boring and, at the time, that was more than enough. Who really has a deep reason for doing things at that sort of age? It was all about being cool and not being excluded from social circles. We all banded together around Pokemon. I was no different from any other kid at that age.

These days, I suppose it's partly for nostalgia, and partly because the video games are one of the few constant things in my life: people say they've changed, but really the changes are window dressing and generation hopping: strip the mainstream games right down and they're all identical. They're still fun, in short.

Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here