The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Gaming > Pokémon Gaming Central

Notices

Pokémon Gaming Central For topics that aren't necessarily restricted to one game, Pokémon Gaming Central ranges from comparing and contrasting the differences in the gaming generations to discussing the gaming franchise as a whole.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old December 9th, 2012, 09:12 AM
AzaleaLightning
Bouncer, hey bouncer ♪

Nature: Sassy
I love the diversity. Normal-types are one of my favorites and I like how they are able to cover a lot of weaknesses. Besides, if Pokemon could only learn what sounded logical, that'd be so boring.

Tumblr | MyAnimeList
Ooh, let me in right now
or I'll get physical with you

Old December 27th, 2012, 12:07 PM
DowntownDumpling

Nature: Quiet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curious. View Post
It doens't bother me at all. Without the move diversity, then battles would be boring, and really predictable. I think having a variety of moves, and having Pokemon learn moves not necessarily of their type enables them to cover their weakness and exploit others'.
I agree completely with this.

Besides, most moves that Pokemon know that are not of their types make sense given their appearances. With many Normal-types, though, there are exceptions. I don't think it makes much sense, for example, for Rattata and Tauros to be able to learn all of the elemental moves that they are.
Old December 28th, 2012, 11:22 AM
The Grubby Pup
Where's mah shiny squeaky ball

Nature: Naughty
Send a message via Skype™ to The Grubby Pup
eh. it doesn't bother me. Never has. Sometimes the attacks; no matter how strange they can be...gives the Pokemon an advantage. Especially when pitted up against a Pokemon they're clearly at a disadvantage against. Victory isn't necessarily guaranteed, but it at least give the other Pokemon a chance to fight back. :p
Old December 28th, 2012, 12:43 PM
Pinkie-Dawn
I Am Become Death

Nature: Quirky
It doesn't bother me at all due to what everyone has already mentioned above; what really bothers me are Pokemon who can't learn moves that cover all of their weaknesses. *glares at Grass types*
Old December 28th, 2012, 01:00 PM
Patrick
Winter Love
Community Supporter Tier 5

Nature: Sassy
No? I don't really see why it would, unless I'm not understanding the OP's point of view very well.

Other Stuff That's Totally Uncool and Not Worth Your Time!

Old December 28th, 2012, 01:08 PM
Steve119
Unhatched Egg

Nature: Serious
naw, not really, it spices up my battles...

Old December 28th, 2012, 03:59 PM
Killjoy
"He was a laser fish."

Nature: Quiet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Silver Nostalgia View Post

Teaching them inappropriate moves ruins imagination, and playing a Pokemon game without using your imagination is pointless.
I don't understand. Wouldn't a pokemon using an anusual move merely require more imagination? Thus is the enjoyment of imagination.

Frankly, if one were to use their imagination, they could explain just about any move/Pokemon combo.

That aside, the Diglet/ scratch thing can be explained by the fact that, it is implied that Diglet has arms and legs: It's based on a mole. Just because they've never shown one out of the ground, doesn't mean their species is somehow unable of leaving the ground. THAT, wouldn't make sense
Old December 28th, 2012, 05:57 PM
Arlo

Eh. I prefer that moves make sense in one way or another, but I see quite a bit of leeway there, since pokemon in and of themselves are bizarrely unrealistic. So I've long since suspended most of my disbelief, and whatever seeming discrepancies there might be between what it seems a pokemon should be able to learn and what it can actually learn just aren't that big a deal. If I'm so inclined, I can usually work out some sort of justification for the move, but I'm rarely so inclined. I guess I just don't expect a game that involves battles between sometimes enormous and highly dangerous creatures who are kept in little colored balls to always bow to narrow distinctions regarding what's possible and what's not.
Old December 28th, 2012, 06:43 PM
scprepschool

To me every pokemon thats based on a known earth species has moves that make sense. Rhinos spend time in the water which would grant rhydon a surf attack because surf really os just a pokemon being able to swim. When you think about reuncilus learning focus blast it really shouldnt be debated because we have no idea of what a creature like it would be capable of
If you actually think about it as biological you can find many weirx things ( in earths historyof biology when ever would a magnemite, beldum, solosis, unknown, sigilyph, steelix, klink i mean the list could go on but they would not be considered animals) so to me the best way to look at it is as art. Tactical art

you gotta know that I adore you
Old January 5th, 2013, 05:13 PM
coolysouthkid
Unhatched Egg

I like it. Makes for more fun battles
Old January 5th, 2013, 06:16 PM
pikakitten
You met with a terrible fate

Yeah I like it, it is helpful, and if you think hard enough it eventually makes sense xD
Old January 5th, 2013, 06:17 PM
PikachuAddict
Mime Jr.

It doesn't matter to me one way or the other.
Old January 5th, 2013, 07:38 PM
Matty Mayhem
Matty :3

Nature: Bold
This doesn't bother me, it adds to the diversity and fun of the game.
Old January 6th, 2013, 09:00 PM
Deceit
Toxic.

Nature: Timid
This doesn't really bother me very much, but this is what I had originally thought. When I first started playing, I was surprised to learn Pokemon could learn moves of different types, but I soon learned it was really helpful. It helps Pokemon that are weak to a certain type fight back, in a way. As people have been saying, this would also make the games really boring, and learning different typed moves adds diversity.
Old January 7th, 2013, 02:13 PM
MegamanDX
Pokemon/Megaman fan

Nature: Hardy
Send a message via Skype™ to MegamanDX
Your freaking out that some Pokemon know moves of different types...

Think of this instead...What if your Charizard could learn Surf(its a water wave actually) or Oshawott could use FireBlast(wish is was like a fire bomb)....Dosnt make sense dosn't it?

Its set up to where Pokemon use moves that would be possible for them to use. Thats way you see that Charizard with mostly Fire moves or the Oshawott with water moves...Its simple but when they use a move of a different type,there a good reason for it...Charizard knows Twister even tho its a Dragon type because that dragon has wings for example.
Old January 22nd, 2013, 08:22 AM
obiwan362
Unhatched Egg

I agree. Some of them seem a little strange. I'm okay with Arbok and Fire Fang. It's a little weird, but it's like Hitmonchan learning every element punch. It's still a punch, and it's still a bite. But when my little electric Zebra learned Flame Charge? I had no idea what was going on. Some work, despite type, but some do honestly give me pause.
Old January 22nd, 2013, 10:01 AM
Schwan
Frontier Brain

Nature: Relaxed
I feel like a lot of normal types learn a variety of moves to make up for the lack of STAB potential. It just makes them more useful I guess. That said, I love how certain Pokemon can learn other element moves. The only issue I have is Emboar with Scald, but that may be because of my intolerable impatience for Emboar.

My Espeon's moveset is Psychic, Grass Knot, Signal Beam and Trick Room. (TR only because I think it's hilarious), but the GK and SB cover certain types nicely. I actually took out my buddy's Steelix with Grass Knot in one hit, was very happy about that.

Sponsored Links