The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Discussions > Pokémon Anime

Notices

Pokémon Anime Are you a regular watcher of the Pokémon Anime and its Movies or just an old fan? Come here, and take part in all the various ongoing discussions about the Pokémon Anime.

Advertise here

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old July 23rd, 2013, 12:53 AM
amerininja
The Pokemon Professor

Nature: Brave

Advertise here
Okay in our English dub they are always Teams of criminals but in the Japanese episodes with subs they are called gangs
i.e. The Rocket Gang
does anyone know if I am wrong because i have only seen a handful in Japanese?

You must edit it to meet the limits set by the rules before you may remove the [sig-reason] code from your signature. Removing this tag will re-enable it.

Do not remove the tag until you fix the issues in your signature. You may be infracted for removing this tag if you do not fix the specified issues. Do not use this tag for decoration purposes.
Old July 23rd, 2013, 01:53 AM
PlatinumDude
Nyeh?
Community Supporter

Nature: Hasty
Send a message via Yahoo to PlatinumDude Send a message via Skype™ to PlatinumDude
In the Japanese versions, villianous teams are referred to as gangs, with the "-dan" suffix:
-Team Rocket = Rocket-dan
-Team Magma = Magma-dan
-Team Aqua = Aqua-dan
-Team Galactic = Galaxy-dan
-Team Plasma = Plasma-dan

So you're not wrong here.

Old July 23rd, 2013, 05:14 AM
amerininja
The Pokemon Professor

Is that odd to you or are gangs not that bad (compared to other countries) in japan?

You must edit it to meet the limits set by the rules before you may remove the [sig-reason] code from your signature. Removing this tag will re-enable it.

Do not remove the tag until you fix the issues in your signature. You may be infracted for removing this tag if you do not fix the specified issues. Do not use this tag for decoration purposes.
Old July 23rd, 2013, 08:20 PM
Anna
"it has no brakes"
Community Supporter

Nature: Bold
I think they are bad though? Like, we refer to them as an 'evil team', don't we? That's about the level of a gang I think. Across the languages '-dan' is translated as Army, Troops, Group, Gang, and Team. That kind of implies some structured operations. And they're certainly fairly villainous. They may not be the same type of gang you immediately picture as an American youth; they're more of a gang like you would picture... idk, the mafia or the yakuza being (disclaimer I know nothing about either). More of an organized crime syndicate than a band of urban thugs.

{ Pairs + Family }
{ Clubs + Theme }

Connection
Old July 23rd, 2013, 10:52 PM
alienhunterx

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to alienhunterx
I think the japanese subs make more sense ans through that way kids don't go wondering what is the meaning behind gang. You know every one can make a gang and through this , we don't get any negative buff from this. While in the english dubs, the word Team is used which also resembles a peaceful group.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here