The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Discussions > Pokémon Anime

Notices

Pokémon Anime Are you a regular watcher of the Pokémon Anime and its Movies or just an old fan? Come here, and take part in all the various ongoing discussions about the Pokémon Anime.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old December 15th, 2012, 08:52 PM
pikakitten
You met with a terrible fate

Nature: Naughty
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to pikakitten
I stopped watching around well I can't remember when but we (sister, mom, cats) moved into our stepdad's house and they didn't have a channel with it so I felt like I missed too much to keep watching like I haven't seen 1 Full episode from the Best Wishes series. I might consider coming back for the N season since it should be reset like whenever it's a new series/season.
Old December 15th, 2012, 09:13 PM
Patrick
Winter Love

Nature: Sassy
Geez, it's been so long since I watched the anime that I can't honestly remember a whole lot about it, where I stopped exactly, or even the definate why. Here's what I can remember.

I started when it first aired, back before Kids WB got a hold of it, back when the episode titles were just as descriptive as the original Japanese titles. And I remember loving those episodes the most, because 4Kids was a really, really small company back then, and they seemed to be rather humble. The episodes were treated with a certain kind of respect I feel dropped once 4Kids got bigger.

But honestly, I have no beef with 4Kids. I'm far too old to, for one, and through and through, the Pokemon anime was still one of there more faithful works compared to game-animes like Kirby and Sonic X.

Anyway, my sister and I were so on top of the Pokemon anime, it's what convinced us to buy Red and Blue. My first episode was the one where Ash dresses like a girl to fight Erika... I think. The grass Gym Leader at any rate. I thought that was good old fashioned comic-anime gold. My favorite episodes are probably Pokemon Fashion Flash, and the one with the giant fake Pokemon and the Pokemon themselves talking in subtitles. The one that followed, Tentacool and Tentacruel, was pretty neat, too. Aww... now I want to watch these again. I think I was so upset that there were no more episodes after a point. Talk about a cliffhanger, I never thought I'd see the rest of the series.

Then it got picked up by Kids WB, and I was estatic. Problem is, now the Kids WB years are one big mess of a blur. I recall only two episodes. Pikachu ReVolts for being an episode done by the "good" animation studio, and Wherefore Art Thou Pokemon because I love me some Nidoran (by extension, I only recall the Nido parts of the pink Pokemon episode, the "Pinky Land" dream sequence, something about Rhyhorn and nothing else). The Johto episodes are when I started to feel some fatigue. Through and through, I liked the Indigo and Orange Island episodes even if my memories are hazy, but Johto was brutal, and I swear the animation quality started to drop. I only remember the Larvitar episode (vaguely), and Squirtle making a comeback in the Johto League. And Chikorita/Bayleef having a crush on Ash. Oh, and Whitney having a Nidorina who was on screen for 5 seconds.

Here's the thing, most everyone I knew gave up halfway or even partway into Johto, and I can't blame them. But I presevered, and why? Because the Team Rocket centric episodes (that I don't even remember , though now I'm starting to recall Holy Matrimony) were some of the best character development stories in the series. That, and watching the show just for TR's sh-tick alone gave me a reason to continue. Granted, I started to develop a disliking for Ash's Blast-'em-Now-Ask-Questions-Later mentality towards TR, but I could totally understand that his tolerance level for them was at zero some time before they got to Houen.

Advanced Generation sort of picked things up in the first few episodes. The new digital animation felt inspired, and the quality went up, if only for a short while (they actually started to blink in scenes when they stood around listening to exposition. Amazing!). I loved May and Max, and thought having that brother-sister dynamic in the show was cool. On top of that, I really enjoyed the 3rd generation of Pokemon, and the games way more than generation 2.

And yet, somewhere during Advanced Generation, I just dropped off. It had TR, May and Max, a set of Pokemon I actually liked, but it still wasn't enough. I think it just became too formulaic for me. That, or I was flat out fatigued. Either way, I don't know where I stopped for sure, it was after the Ralts episode, and they weren't done getting all the badges/ribbons/medals/whatever.

I remember catching an episode of generation four where I think Ash's Turtwig evolved into a whatsits (I stopped playing at Gen 3), and all I could think of was "it's still the same old show". Like The Simpsons. Except The Simpsons is probably much worse.

So, that's my long and rambling story, which triggered some fun memories along the way, so I apologize for getting wordy. But yeah, overall, I stopped during AG due to fatigue, or not buying into the formula anymore.
Old December 17th, 2012, 09:32 PM
Sheep

Nature: Timid
I did! I lost interest in Diamond/Pearl since I didn't like Dawn and fell out of watching around then, though I never really kept up with any generations before that either. But D/P made me lose interest for a while whereas for previous seasons I was just too young to really know that there were Japanese versions out before the English, so...

I'm also going through a phase right now where I'm not watching much, but that'll change once season N rolls around!

pair | family | irl pair | lovelies
club 1 club 2 club 3 club 4
Old December 22nd, 2012, 09:33 PM
JessieFan92
Unhatched Egg

I think I stopped watching it when Dawn appeared. I got tired of Team Rocket too.
Old December 29th, 2012, 12:03 AM
Sweet Smoochum
Booted out - don't be like me!

Nature: Bashful
No cable, or school would be the only reason for me not watching Pokemon. It's happened before.
Old December 29th, 2012, 07:16 PM
Arcturus.
Does this unit have a soul?

Nature: Quiet
I stopped watching watching the anime a while ago. Probably around the time Ash was in Sinnoh I think. I don't know, my memories of the anime are very hazy. Sometimes I'll be flipping through the channels and stop for a few minutes if I notice it's on, but I never really watch it anymore. I'm pretty sure I just got bored of the series.

Last edited by Arcturus.; December 29th, 2012 at 07:17 PM. Reason: typo
Old December 29th, 2012, 11:24 PM
CarcharOdin

Nature: Naughty
I still watch it from time to time online when I'm bored out of my mind and I have nothing better to do.

Gotta say though, I find the current BW rivals to be very amusing characters. Especially Burgundy and Georgia.

Except Trip. He's bland and boring and he can go to hell.
Old December 30th, 2012, 10:59 AM
Kotetsu-kun
Unova League Rival

Nature: Quirky
I stop watching at certain parts. So I watch very interesting parts such as my first appearance, the Pokestar Studios episode, and my battles.

Ash+Cameron BFFs!
Old January 6th, 2013, 07:15 PM
Rivvon
they see me ridin'~they hatin'

Nature: Jolly
I stopped watching at Hoenn. I felt the animation quality dropped (and if I'm not mistaken, the animation was done in a different studio beginning at that point), and the quality of the writing dropped, too. I began watching again during the Unova/Best Wishes series, because to me it brings back a lot of the charm, humor, and uniqueness in terms of human characters, animation, and individual Pokemon's personalities that the Kanto, Orange Islands, and Johto seasons did so well.
Old January 7th, 2013, 12:52 PM
XtinaIsMeLuvinWWE
Scyther

Nature: Jolly
I know I watched up to and including Johto consistently but I had to stop watching on TV for a while cause it changed channels and I wasn't sure where I could watch it anymore, but I still watch it when I can (like sometimes the show the movies once in a blue moon) and I try to keep up to date online
Old January 7th, 2013, 01:00 PM
Ultimate Umbreon
Unhatched Egg

Nature: Sassy
i stoped watching black and white because citv kept showing repeats and i never really liked that searies. tbh i think rival destinies is better than black and white, epspecially when dawn came back!

Ultimate Umbreon
Old January 8th, 2013, 01:33 PM
Ultimate PKMN Trainer Red
Banned

Nature: Brave
Yeah, I stopped watching when Hoenn ended because DP wasn't so interesting and I didn't like Dawn, now they did something worse. They put Cilan in place of Brock, the one who makes the anime funny and Iris is a copy of Dawn. No, I dunno if she's a copy of Dawn since I don't watch the anime anynore
Old January 9th, 2013, 10:34 AM
Rou.Tsuki
It's happy hour somewhere...

Nature: Quirky
I think I stopped when Pokemon was moved to cable. I'm just not willing to pay for channels I don't watch and if they ever come up with a'la carte channel packages, then I just may paid for TV.
My
Vivillon Pattern: High Plains
Friend Safari: POISON - Whirlipede, Garbodor and Kakuna

Old January 17th, 2013, 06:26 AM
Heartouch
Count the stars between us

Nature: Lonely
Send a message via Skype™ to Heartouch
I was stopping watching Pokemon Anime months ago when my watching schedule was interrupted, but now I watch it again because of Episode N hype.

Last edited by Heartouch; January 17th, 2013 at 06:36 AM.
Old January 17th, 2013, 12:02 PM
Guy
just a guy

Send a message via Skype™ to Guy
It was during the Johto Saga that I kind of got behind on watching the anime, and I just stopped for awhile. There's still a big chunk of episodes during those seasons in Johto that I haven't seen yet. Then again, I don't think I missed much given all of the fillllleeeeerrrrrr Johto had. It was only two or three years ago when I finally watched all of the Silver Conference episodes that I hadn't seen already.

When the Hoenn Saga was about to begin, that's when I got back into watching the anime again and followed it pretty closely for awhile. There was a time in the middle that I got behind, but it wasn't as bad as with Johto.

Ever since Sinnoh, I've been following the show consistently. There were a few episodes in Best Wishes that I missed and haven't caught up on yet, but I can't be bothered. As I will continue to watch the anime, I have to say the Black and White season has been kind of disappointing to say the least.
Old January 17th, 2013, 01:01 PM
SaniOKh
The Cynical Completionist

Nature: Lonely
I'll be the odd man out here. I actually lost interest in the anime more or less after the sixth episode of the original series. After that when I got my first Pokémon game (Blue), I tried to watch it again only because I was curious how the gyms from the game would be represented in the anime. And somewhere during the Orange Islands arc, I lost interest again, this time for good.

I think I never really got into it. Then again, I'm not a big anime fan in general.

PM me before adding and, please, tell me which one you added!
Old January 17th, 2013, 01:31 PM
Sandshrew4
Also known as Sandwich

Nature: Careful
I pretty much stopped watching once I saw one episode of black and white.
Old January 17th, 2013, 03:42 PM
KogiTheFox
Unhatched Egg

I stopped watching when Ash went to the Hoenn region. It just stopped being charming at that point.

http://www.youtube.com/user/kogithefox
Old January 17th, 2013, 04:04 PM
Evanlyn
What a drag...

Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via Yahoo to Evanlyn
I stopped watching the anime years ago, I think it was because we got rid of the channel or they stopped putting it on TV or something like that.
Just looking at the pictures of Ash in the newest series though, it's scared me off!

I've started watching the pokemon episodes again though recently, right from series 1!
Old January 17th, 2013, 04:50 PM
digimonqueen
Draco Malfoy's Girlfriend

Nature: Gentle
yeah...once. i banned myself from watching it 'cause i was FURIOUS that i missed Keldeo vs. The Sacred Swordsman. when i finally got to watch it ONLINE, though, i was back to watching episodes! though now i need to catch up on what i missed.

Help will always be given at Hogwarts to those who ask for it.

“Do not pity the dead, Harry. Pity the living, and, above all, those who live without love. By returning, you may ensure that fewer souls are maimed, fewer families are torn apart. If that seems to you a worthy goal, then we say good-bye for the present.”

"Harry--you're a great wizard, you know."
"I'm not as good as you," said Harry, very embarrassed, as she let him go.
"Me!" said Hermione. "Books! And cleverness! There are more important things--friendship and bravery and--oh Harry--be careful!"
Old January 19th, 2013, 06:39 PM
Stygian
→ contradictory

Nature: Hasty
At one or two points, yes, I have considered to stop watching the anime. It was mainly because of Ash, actually. Now, I have realized that I've missed the anime a lot and how it got me into Pokemon. I only watched until the end of the Sinnoh saga, and only watched the BW episodes with Dawn in it, since Iris was pretty lame and I just didn't like it. :I I might consider watching more of BW, though.
Old January 20th, 2013, 03:16 AM
Gzomyndzor
Nature/Egg Move/IV Breeder

Nature: Timid
I did watch a lot of it when I was younger, but since I wasn't that dedicated I missed a lot of episodes and jumped around the series a bit. I really did enjoy it, however I guess I grew out of it; it started getting stale and I preferred to play the games than watch the anime. I only like the really old 'classic' series, but I did watch most of the movies (stopped at the Gen 4 movies). I won't ever get back into it, but I may watch the old series just for nostalgia sakes.
Old January 20th, 2013, 04:19 AM
Windowzs
Unhatched Egg

Nature: Calm
I stopped watching around the beginning of the "Advanced" seasons. I guess I just reached the age where I was too busy to keep watching it. That or I never remembered when it came on a the time either. The show also felt like it was just repeating itself over and over again so these days its like "You seen one episode, you pretty much seen them all". I hear the black and white seasons gotten better, but I haven't caught an episode of that yet.
Old January 20th, 2013, 05:38 AM
Ichinish
Unhatched Egg

I've stopped watching when the seasons with gen III has started. Then I started watching again in Diamond and Pearl.
Old January 20th, 2013, 09:00 AM
Nintendofox3d
Watch Pokemon Cyclone Saga!!

Yeah, I'm not watching it right now...
I watch the episodes in Japanese sometimes, but not the whole thing.
Like, last thursday, I watched The first episode N episode.

I only watch if something cool, important happens.
And I really only watch the dub if it's a new movie, or the episode has a new opening.

So in conclusion, I only watch it if I really want to.
I usually only watch if there's a new opening/ending.
I don't know why...

This is the reason I watched it last time:

Pokemon Cyclone Saga
-The Pokemon Series-

Watch It Here:
http://www.youtube.com/user/iNeonFox
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links