The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Gaming > Fifth Generation

Notices

Fifth Generation Are Pokémon slaves to humans? Team Plasma thinks so. Travel the Unova region and prove them wrong in Black & White, and then return two years later in Black2 & White2.

View Poll Results: Which do you choooooose?
5 22.73%
17 77.27%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old November 24th, 2012, 07:57 AM
Forever
let it go

Sup? This week we have... two Pokemon that don't really attack that much without the aid of status (Liepard makes use of Swagger in competitive, and idr what Watchog does but in-game it used Hypnosis a lot!)

When comparing the two, I want you to also base it on which you'd use competitively, which do you think has the better chance, which you used in-game, which you like the design-of best, and what strategies you think one could use to beat the other. Each week these polls will continue until all combinations and tiers are used up (each Pokemon compared will be from the same competitive tier). To find out more about tiers, and how you can get the most out of these Pokemon, check out Battle Center. So which do you choose? Don't forget to post in the thread when voting in the poll, either!

Old November 24th, 2012, 08:12 AM
chella182
Drowzee

Nature: Rash
Liepard definitely. I find them a more formidable opponent, and Watchog is annoying!!

Old November 24th, 2012, 03:35 PM
Hikamaru
it's too cold for you here
Community Supporter

Nature: Quirky
I picked Watchog cos it has a better movepool than Liepard and also Watchog can learn some helpful status moves like Thunder Wave and Hypnosis.

Also, I hated Liepard cos too much of its stats focus on Speed. Watchog is at least more balanced, being a Normal-type and all.

Paired with AWsquared, Isaac and Starry Windy
Battle Server | Tumblr | TWL | Profile | Supporter

i'll be gone for a while, here's why

Old November 24th, 2012, 06:00 PM
Pinta77
McDonald's Insider
Community Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to Pinta77
Ugh I hate both these pokemon... Personally though, I'd rather use hypnosis over swagger. And I hate Liepard just a little more, so I'm going with watchhog.

Wonder Trade!!!
Old November 24th, 2012, 10:32 PM
BLOOOD-La-ti-
This is the place to try!

Nature: Jolly
Liepard,cuz when it comes to NU Liepard is formidable.
Watchog sucks in every tier.
EVERY TIER.
So I'm going with Liepard.

oh check this out:
http://www.pokecommunity.com/member.php?u=373174
My new account. :3
Old November 24th, 2012, 11:19 PM
Pryze
Moonwel ot cosidme

Nature: Calm
Send a message via Skype™ to Pryze
Liepard is the obvious choice for me. As I see it, Watchog is almost completely outclassed by things like Kangaskhan, Tauros, and even Zangoose, all of which can abuse their respective abilities, are able to deal/take hits better, ect ect. At least Liepard has Prankster on it's side.
Old November 25th, 2012, 05:36 PM
Major Ziggs
This'll be a blast!
Community Supporter

Nature: Quirky
I honestly hate them both, but if I had to choose between them I'd go with Watchog just because its design is relatively cuter than Liepard's. Neither of them are Pokémon I'd consider using in battle because, well, they're just plain not good haha, but I suppose Watchog does have some more interesting strategies to play around with than Liepard so it takes the win for me. Also Dark types are scary :(
Old November 25th, 2012, 11:51 PM
Brendino
Hold your breath. Make a wish. Count to three.

Nature: Quiet
I tried using both Patrat and Purrloin early on in my game on White, but neither of them ended up being that useful to me, and were boxed early in my journey. That being said, I did slightly prefer Purrloin (and in turn, Liepard), mostly because I preferred it's type and design. While Watchog has a slightly better movepool, it still isn't good enough that I'd ever try using one on my team, so I'll have to pick Liepard.
Old November 26th, 2012, 07:19 AM
Cyclone
Eye of the Storm

I'm not a huge fan of either. Both pre-evolutions have a strong point:

- Purrloin is immune to Psychic types, which could prove it semi-useful if taken to the E4 against the Psychic user
- Patrat can have Pickup

Pickup is lost upon evolution, however, unlike other Pickup users. Therefore, Patrat's potential usefulness drops to a fraction, if anything. Purrloin wins. Liepard gets the vote.

Cyclone

Cyclone. FC: 5327-1949-9511. Safari: Lampent, Pumpkaboo, and Golurk (Ghost). Champion of the GC11 Pokémon Challenge!
Breeder extraordinaire. Horrible battler. I take requests! Looking ahead to SSB3D for even more fun!

Pokémon Black National Pokédex completed on December 13, 2012. My Lv.7 UT Shiny Nincada (Hoenn) is now in Kalos for trade offers.

Old November 26th, 2012, 07:25 AM
dragonnathan025
Pokemon Breeder

Nature: Calm
Send a message via Skype™ to dragonnathan025
Well, against the Psychic user in the Elite 4, I'd much rather use Krookodile, since it can deal loads more damage, plus can take out a lot more than Liepard.

Watchog does have Hypnosis and Hyper Fang, which make it decent, but Liepard is a Dark-type Pokemon. So... Liepard as my vote.

Friend Safari type:
Water
Pokemon:
Bibarel
Gyarados
Frogadier
Old November 26th, 2012, 08:12 AM
Forever
let it go

Quote:
Originally Posted by CycloneGU View Post
I'm not a huge fan of either. Both pre-evolutions have a strong point:

- Purrloin is immune to Psychic types, which could prove it semi-useful if taken to the E4 against the Psychic user
- Patrat can have Pickup

Pickup is lost upon evolution, however, unlike other Pickup users. Therefore, Patrat's potential usefulness drops to a fraction, if anything. Purrloin wins. Liepard gets the vote.

Cyclone
@ Purrloin point: Except that not everything runs just psychic and I'm p sure Gothitelle would outspeed. :x

I voted for Liepard btw, because I have had experienced being annoyed by it n____n;
Old November 26th, 2012, 04:06 PM
Cyclone
Eye of the Storm

Hey, I never said I'd use Liepard in the E4. Just that it's more useful than, say, Patrat. :D

Cyclone

Cyclone. FC: 5327-1949-9511. Safari: Lampent, Pumpkaboo, and Golurk (Ghost). Champion of the GC11 Pokémon Challenge!
Breeder extraordinaire. Horrible battler. I take requests! Looking ahead to SSB3D for even more fun!

Pokémon Black National Pokédex completed on December 13, 2012. My Lv.7 UT Shiny Nincada (Hoenn) is now in Kalos for trade offers.

Old November 27th, 2012, 04:11 PM
Keiran
Moshtradamus

Nature: Careful
I tried both in game and they felt like a waste of time. I voted for Liepard simply because it has Prankster and can make good use of it.

I love Watchogs design, though! It's a shame it's awful.

又 yltfos os kaeps and low 又
Wandering Allowed, Wondering Aloud
Old November 27th, 2012, 07:53 PM
Autumn Reverie
wibbly wobbly... timey wimey... stuff.

Nature: Modest
I dislike both Pokemon in-game. Liepard is too frail to be of much use while Watchog looks....freaky..with its huge red eyes and stiff, straight tail. Urkk. >< But if I had to choose between the two, I guess I would choose Liepard, simply because Dark-types are awesome.

pairs | twitter | showdown | pc family
Old November 27th, 2012, 07:56 PM
Mononoke Hime
viva emptiness

Nature: Sassy
Liepard.
It's beautiful, fast, dark typed, have Prankster and looks like a cat. Nuff said.

Sponsored Links