The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Gaming > Metal & Color Generation

Notices

Metal & Color Generation Take a walk down memory lane with Red, Blue, and Yellow, the games that started it all! Then revisit the best region ever in the original Johto games, Gold, Silver, and Crystal.

Advertise here

View Poll Results: Which Rival Is Better?
Blue 27 39.13%
Silver 33 47.83%
Both of them are good! 9 13.04%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Old January 3rd, 2013, 11:04 AM
pessimisticlyricist
Unhatched Egg

Advertise here
Blue for me because he is the original rival and plus I always played through silver version.
Old January 3rd, 2013, 04:57 PM
Skylands

Nature: Calm
Blue is my favourite rival, Silver was an arse. Blue sorta was too, but in a good way.
Old January 3rd, 2013, 07:39 PM
MattyJ
Serial Procrastinator

Nature: Brave
It's interesting, I seem to be voting against the trend when I say Blue. I would have thought he'd be a runaway vote getter!

I guess, for me, Blue seems to be the out-and-out better rival. I remember playing Gold version for the first time (yes, I actually named my rival "???" because that's what he told me his name was!). One restart later Playing through the game and getting to each gym and noticing that my Rival hadn't been there and beaten it first was a bit odd for me. I liked the fact that Blue was always one step ahead, like you were always chasing him, and that, at the end of the Elite Four, it was revealed that he was the Champion. Of course, Blue comes back in the Metal gen as a leader in Viridian too, which is a good final touch.

To me, he's just more well-rounded, more competitive, and more driven to 'be the best' than Silver. Silver felt like a spoiled brat with no understanding of Pokemon (for the most part, anyway). It was good that they gave his character a bit of development, but I feel that Blue already understood what it meant to be a Pokemon trainer, which is why his character perhaps didn't show as much development.
Old January 9th, 2013, 11:13 AM
XtinaIsMeLuvinWWE

Nature: Quirky
I preferred Blue as a character, I liked his team better and "Smell Ya Later!" haha

Although in terms of the purpose of a rival, Silver was very well created I thought.
Old January 22nd, 2013, 07:15 AM
obiwan362
Unhatched Egg

See, I'm going to have to go with Blue. The rival that started it all. And the guy that I was afraid was going to try and smell me every time. Ahh...the good old days.
Old February 4th, 2013, 08:49 AM
Halipoke
Unhatched Egg

Nature: Rash
I personally can't choose. I prefer Silver as a rival 'cause he's just plain mean and makes me want to win him. Meanwhile, Blue is a little nicer rival and he's a friend at the same time. It makes me smile.
Old February 16th, 2013, 06:09 PM
egiannis
Unhatched Egg

Nature: Timid
Silver because i like his storyline such as son of Giovanni.Also i think is more powerful than blue
Old February 16th, 2013, 10:33 PM
Caelus
Gone

I'm going to have to go with Blue just for the fact that he ends up becoming a gym leader in Generation II. Both were great rivals and I liked how Silver started becoming a better person near the end of the games but I like Blue's design more and I've had more difficulties going against his team than against Silver's team.
Old February 17th, 2013, 01:12 PM
White Mage
Life
Community Supporter

Nature: Timid
I liked Blue better because of his personality.
Blue was a bit more energetic than Silver.

"WHAT? Unbelievable! I picked the wrong Pokemon!" and "Bonjour! <player>! Imagine seeing you here! <player> were you really invited?"

and Silver was pretty depressing and quite mean.

"I hate the weak. Pokemon, Trainers. It doesn't matter who or what. I hate to see them hanging around."

Blue's rudeness was much better than Silver's hatred for everything. Even though Silver eventually lightened up, I still preferred Blue.

VM | PM | MAL
Old February 17th, 2013, 01:56 PM
YamaskUnchained
Unhatched Egg

Blue just had that.....rival feel to him. In 96 this was one of the first games most of us completed (If you early 20's like me) and what a twist to go to. You have the pride of not only beating on your smug neighbour rival who was always a step ahead when you head towards victory road right after beating the mob boss Giovanni, but right after you go through the hardest battle against Lance he tells you that your joy of winning this battle is stripped away because you rival is the first Champion....Its just heart sinking and makes that battle better because you thought you were done with him, you beat the Elite Four, and became the best only to find out you're second fiddle to him AGAIN. It was just a better story I find for a rival itself.

Silver had more character yes, but it wasn't a real "rival" feel like Blue was. Also have to keep in check that Blue/Red will always have a nostalgia factor for a lot of people as it was the first pokemon game
Old February 18th, 2013, 12:35 PM
Isseubnida
I live for the applause

Nature: Jolly
Silver actually progressed to being friendlier... unlike snotty Blue, who kept belittling you, even after you kicked his sorry behind countless times.
Old February 24th, 2013, 07:07 AM
Fernando Torres
Class on grass
Community Supporter

Nostalgia blinding makes blue my favourite rival.
Old February 26th, 2013, 07:54 PM
Yoshistar64
Kanrinin-saaannnnnn!!!

Nature: Relaxed
Quote:
Originally Posted by metal64meli View Post
Silver is just what we call pure hate, he hates you, he hates tam rocket, he hates gym leaders, he just wants to beat everyone's a**es and conquer the world.
I really agree, and although I didn't think it was this extreme back then, this kind of attitude is what has always endeared him to me this whole time. His standoffish, cool and composed attitude resembled how I viewed my "older brother" that I always used to chill with, the guy I always wanted to be as cool as. Not only was Silver the rival of my favourite game in the series (I mean, it was my first game and I played it during the best times of my life) which makes it very biased, but he also reinforced an ideal that I strove for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikakitten View Post
I like Silver better. One BIG reason is he doesn't want to 'smell you later' that's creepy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Muzza Fuzzin Oak View Post
Nostalgia blinding...
Old February 26th, 2013, 08:09 PM
Necrum
Scourge of the Mushroom Kingdom!

Nature: Adamant
I have warmed up to Blue in recent years, as I finally managed to separate him from is Anime counterpart, who was a total jerk early in the series. Even so, Silver has always been my favorite rival, because he is the ideal antihero. He is the most interesting rival from a character development standpoint, and actually grows as much as the player theoretically does throughout the story. Plus he's got red hair. :D Of course, I'm sure you can all tell by my avatar and sig that I like villains and such, so maybe I'm just different...
Old February 27th, 2013, 09:41 AM
pallando

Blue's my favorite rival, I like the personality he has in R/B/Y as well as him having all the badges (before you). Silver apparantly wasn't that interested in the gym battles and therefore it felt quite odd to always be one step ahead. And of course the fact that Blue became a gym leader in the second Generation gives him a significant role in both games.

Also, Silver is way too weak level-wise in (almost) every fight. I mean, it was rare when my levels were actually lower than his levels, and I played the game a lot. And no, I didn't train my pokemon a lot vs. wild pokemon, I just beat trainers. The first battle vs Silver is no big challenge as your level usually is higher. The second fight in Azalea Town is in my opinion the hardest fight vs Silver. But the only one that's actually difficult to win..

Also, I think Blue is more like a Rival than Silver, because he has the same goal like you have - become the best trainer by winning 8 badges and the E4. Silver however, even though he states that it is his dream to become the best trainer, I also think that another goal of himself is to find his way. That's why Silver's story has more depth, but my favorite rival is Blue. While the levels of Blue's pokemon have raised significantly, which makes him a really tough enemy, the levels of Silver's pokemon in the last two fights are just pathetic. Blue, the last gym leader, has pokemon above level 50, while your rival's pokemon are not higher than 50, and I don't like it. Also the battle at Mt. Moon must be the best example. All Gym Leaders you beat till that point (except for Janine) have higher levels than your rival.. that's what I think is pretty dumb. My last point is that I like how Blue's team varies depending on the starter you/he take(s), which makes his team more interesting. I don't like that the team of Silver always stays the same.

Last edited by pallando; February 27th, 2013 at 10:23 AM.
Old March 3rd, 2013, 10:36 AM
TouchemonLearner
Bad Egg

Nature: Docile
Blue's better because he actually acts like a rival whereas Silver is kind of up to his own agenda and doesn't really care about you as much. Also you crush Blue's dreams every time you meet him so he deserves to win something.
Old March 14th, 2013, 01:38 PM
Zorogami
WUB WUB
Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via Skype™ to Zorogami
I think Blue was the better rival in every aspect. He would tease you all the time, say he was sooo much better than you and just in general would make you want to beat him as often as possible. But at the same time, he is a very talented Pokemon trainer, he loves his Pokemon and treats them well, and even managed to become Champion of the Pokemon League himself, technically even before you did.

Silver was so full of himself, he stole his starter, which makes him a thief and a bad pokemon trainer. He treats his pokemon like weapons, not friends, and gets mad at them when they lose against you. Plus he never made it to the Pokemon League...

I think now it's pretty obvious who the better rival is

~ Anything for my Nakama ~
Old March 24th, 2013, 07:44 AM
Aethestode
Hacker

Nature: Serious
Silver for me. This is because he's more evil evil and have backstory (HG/SS). Blue is just obnoxious.
Old April 9th, 2013, 07:45 AM
ABGamer
Unhatched Egg

Nature: Calm
Blue or Silver, in my opinion Silver's the better rival, although this is mainly based on the pokemon he has (Sneasel, Gengar, Alakazam and Magneton) I love Dark, Ghost, Psychic and Steel types so yeah Silver wins on quick pick but comparing is different I think that Blue would win just because he has a team that could destroy Silvers, just listing what pokemon he would use.

Sneasel - Charizard, Flareon or Arcanine (based on game and choice)
Gengar - Alakazam
Magneton - same as Sneasel and Rhydon
Starter - Opposite starter, Gyarados, Arcanine or Exeggutor
Crobat - Rhydon

That's all I can think but, obviously there are advantages Silver can take but I think Blue has more.
Old April 9th, 2013, 02:50 PM
YamiNoBlade Twihiki Amias
~Be by my side for Eternity ~

Nature: Serious
I did in fact liked Blue as a Rival, but Silver is just more appealing as a Character and Rival.
He had Character Development unlike Blue, where he just turns out to be jerk obsessed with being the Kanto Champion and being the world's strongest trainer. Silver had a journey of finding out what he lacked and found it, again unlike Blue.

So all in all, I picked Silver.

Gym Leader Cheren
Partner N'Crime
| Showdown! | PC Family | Pairs

Currently on Hiatus until further notice.
Old April 20th, 2013, 08:23 AM
razor8771

Silver is amazing.Blue is a loudmouthed idiot who wants to smell you later.Silver has the more rivaly and hateful personality.Silver looks awesome.Blue is a useless jerk.Im voting for silver!!!!(duh)
Old May 8th, 2013, 02:09 AM
AnonygooseD
Lametrainer

Silver because:

He's a criminal who stole a starter & you tell his name to the police so they arrest him, while Gary is a noob who legally owns a starter that he doesn't deserve & you can do nothing to him.
Silver is less of a douchebag than Gary; When defeated he doubts himself & his way of treatment for his Pokemon & goes back to train more, that's why he's always behind, not like Gary who keeps blaming his Pokemon for his losses then claims that he's better & moves on ahead of you.
Silver never became a champion because he still mistreats his Pokemon, while Gary becomes champion & stays in the Plateau for eternity even after you beat him, which doesn't make sense.

So I guess Silver is reasonably a better rival, he gives a moral that if you're a bad person you'll never succeed in life...
Old May 17th, 2013, 11:51 PM
ruine87
Unhatched Egg

they were both good rivals but silver has the edge cuz he was more of a douche and that made you want to put a beatdown on him.
Old May 18th, 2013, 12:37 PM
Shaturu711

Nature: Gentle
Silver for me. His personality is badass and he is more or less always calm and collected, but Blue is like that too. That being said, I think both rivals have equally good Pokemon, though Blue went on to become the Champion but Silver didn't, but overall it's still Silver for me.

Quote:
Eeveextreme Club Profile:

Username: Shaturu711
Partner Pokemon: Umberon

Titles: [None]
Old May 18th, 2013, 01:35 PM
Rϵd
Ahola Bith

Nature: Careful
Silver was kind of cool, and had a better backstory than Blue, but Blue is just stronger. Silver was a weakling, easy to beat, while Blue raised his PKMNs quickly :o and he beat the Kanto/Johto champion (Lance) which is very much better than what Silver did in his PKMN Trainer career. Also Silver sucks. He thinks hes the best, Blue was like that too, but Silver was more like that and somethign that I don't like about Silver is that he keeps insulting his PKMNs for being weak while he is weak

EDIT: OK you guys must be saying "WTF SILVER HAS A BETTER TEAM THAN BLUE" but not in my opinion. Deal with it.

Theme | Pairs | PC Battle Server

I am gone bye

Last edited by Rϵd; May 18th, 2013 at 01:43 PM.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here