Community

The PokéCommunity

We are still working on a better slogan!

Visit Index

Advertise here

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Gaming > Fifth Generation
Notices

Fifth Generation Are Pokémon slaves to humans? Team Plasma thinks so. Travel the Unova region and prove them wrong in Black & White, and then return two years later in Black2 & White2.

Old October 21st, 2012, 09:14 AM
pokemonkidtotodile
Pkmn connoisseur

Nature: Bold

Advertise here
What do you guys think about the limited times you get to battle your rival before the elite 4? It seemed that in the originals, you either battled cheren or Bianca every route.
FC: 4253-3487-5829
IGN: Matt
Old October 21st, 2012, 09:33 AM
Syltti
Lilligant's Loving Trainer

Nature: Calm
The gap between Flocessy Ranch and.. what.. PWT? That was a pretty large gap, and had me expecting Keiichi (my rival's name) every few routes..

FC - 4012-4737-6781
Y Battle Record: [0 Win(s) - 1 Loss(es) - 0 Tie(s)] - Latest Battle Video: N/A
"Ryana.. She's a Necromancer. Hers, however, uses a very peculiar system and grants her amazing abilities that no other necromancer has managed to replicate. Necromancers can control zombies, skeletons, and ghasts; Ryana specializes in zombies, but has a secondary handle on skeletons. People see Necromancers as horrible abominations. Ryana is nothing of the sort. It would take less than a day for anyone to realize that."

Fuyou Ayame - Elven Alchemist. Loving Mother. Royal Guardian.
Old October 21st, 2012, 02:56 PM
Roughsponge
Phenominal.

Nature: Quirky
I didn't like it... I loved that in the originals you battled Cheren/Bianca every few routes, kept you on your toes. Felt like Hugh was barely a rival, but more just like a friend who you battled on occasion just for the fun of it.
Old October 21st, 2012, 03:03 PM
Zanekin
Bidoof is best pokémon

Nature: Brave
I'm annoyed he never has a complete team, and personally his personality is beyond annoying to me. Also you're correct it is way too limited the amount of times you get to battle him.
Old October 21st, 2012, 03:05 PM
Syltti
Lilligant's Loving Trainer

Nature: Calm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughsponge View Post
I didn't like it... I loved that in the originals you battled Cheren/Bianca every few routes, kept you on your toes. Felt like Hugh was barely a rival, but more just like a friend who you battled on occasion just for the fun of it.
That's because Hugh isn't exactly your rival to begin with. You're following the usual dream, while dealing with Neo Plasma. Hugh, on the other hand, is focused mainly on dealing with Team Plasma and getting [blank] back for his sister. (The blank is to prevent possible spoilers for anyone who hasn't played yet. Probably pointless, but you know.) He really only battles you for the sake of seeing how you're progressing and how strong he's become since leaving Aspertia City.

FC - 4012-4737-6781
Y Battle Record: [0 Win(s) - 1 Loss(es) - 0 Tie(s)] - Latest Battle Video: N/A
"Ryana.. She's a Necromancer. Hers, however, uses a very peculiar system and grants her amazing abilities that no other necromancer has managed to replicate. Necromancers can control zombies, skeletons, and ghasts; Ryana specializes in zombies, but has a secondary handle on skeletons. People see Necromancers as horrible abominations. Ryana is nothing of the sort. It would take less than a day for anyone to realize that."

Fuyou Ayame - Elven Alchemist. Loving Mother. Royal Guardian.
Old October 21st, 2012, 03:12 PM
Powalen
the Dark Sovereign

Doesn't really bother me. He was tough as heck right before the Pokemon League.

"By force of will!"
Old October 21st, 2012, 03:17 PM
SkemoKyle
Drummer guy Kyle

It kinda peeved me a little that you only battle Hugh like 3? maybe 4 times?
Due to the previous games (Flashback to Gold here) I was afraid of running into Silver at every freaking corner. You'd see a cross-section in a cave and you'd be like OHSHI- *Rival Music* "I'M NOT F*CKING READY D:" y'know?
SkemoKyle!

I have an obsession with checkers!

I'll happily discuss team building with people! :D

Check out my YouTubes! www.Youtube.co.uk/SkemoKyle
(Trying to get out there, Seriously.)

Pokemon White 2 Friend Code!: 4127-2941-9547

Current Pokemon White 2 Team:

Old October 21st, 2012, 03:26 PM
Zanekin
Bidoof is best pokémon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkemoKyle View Post
It kinda peeved me a little that you only battle Hugh like 3? maybe 4 times?
Due to the previous games (Flashback to Gold here) I was afraid of running into Silver at every freaking corner. You'd see a cross-section in a cave and you'd be like OHSHI- *Rival Music* "I'M NOT F*CKING READY D:" y'know?
Dear lord yes, always had my team healed up in that game
Old October 21st, 2012, 03:37 PM
SkemoKyle
Drummer guy Kyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanekin View Post
Dear lord yes, always had my team healed up in that game
Aha, you know. I'm enjoying White 2, but It is defenately lacking the whole "Rival" thing....
SkemoKyle!

Old October 21st, 2012, 03:41 PM
Zanekin
Bidoof is best pokémon

Quote:
Aha, you know. I'm enjoying White 2, but It is defenately lacking the whole "Rival" thing....
I feel the last few games have missed the mark on the rival aspect. It's more of a "friendly competition approach" but i like despising Blue... the tool bag..
Old October 21st, 2012, 03:43 PM
SkemoKyle
Drummer guy Kyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanekin View Post
I feel the last few games have missed the mark on the rival aspect. It's more of a "friendly competition approach" but i like despising Blue... the tool bag..
GARY FREAKIN' OAK!
The original asshat. xD
But those were the better days of Pokemon imo.
If anything there are two things I am currently awaiting Nintendo to do.
1.Remake Pokemon Red/Blue for the 3DS and make a proper 3D Pokemon game.
2. Get around to re-making RSE. as I didn't like the art style and I'd give it a proper go with the current art style

SkemoKyle!

Old October 21st, 2012, 03:49 PM
Zanekin
Bidoof is best pokémon

Quote:
GARY FREAKIN' OAK!
The original asshat. xD
But those were the better days of Pokemon imo.
If anything there are two things I am currently awaiting Nintendo to do.
1.Remake Pokemon Red/Blue for the 3DS and make a proper 3D Pokemon game.
2. Get around to re-making RSE. as I didn't like the art style and I'd give it a proper go with the current art style

They made fire red so recently i doubt they would though
I want a pokémon game with a story line that might be considered a little more "adult" and put on all the consoles (like xbox360)
Or one where Red is your father, or N that'd be cool
Old October 21st, 2012, 04:16 PM
pokemonkidtotodile
Pkmn connoisseur

Nature: Bold
I felt like his team was a cheap rip-off of cherens as well, it would have been nice if he would have used other Pokemon pre-e4
FC: 4253-3487-5829
IGN: Matt
Old October 22nd, 2012, 11:53 AM
chella182
Drowzee

Nature: Rash
I'm only in Opelucid City and yeah, I have noticed that there have been fewer rival battles than BW. I'm not complaining though, I hate when a rival battle pops up and you're not prepared for it. I kinda guessed when all of the rival battles would happen.
Still young but no longer impressionable.

Old October 22nd, 2012, 12:10 PM
#isthenumbersign

Nature: Sassy
I felt like I saw him everywhere, but I never got to battle him. He'd always be to busy with Team Plasma which kinda pissed me off.
Old October 26th, 2012, 11:56 PM
Hikamaru
I have not had my teeth whitened!
Community Supporter

Nature: Quirky
I did not notice this until watching the Marriland videos for B2/W2, yeah I have to admit these games were a little lacking in rival battles compared to other games.
Old October 27th, 2012, 12:02 AM
Tyrantrum
none pizza with left beef
Community Supporter

Nature: Lonely
Send a message via Skype™ to Tyrantrum
I actually didn't even notice this. I guess I'm a bit disappointed that he didn't challenge you too much in the game, but I still have two more battles with him left, so I'm looking forward to battling him again. c:

(x) Tumblr
(y) Gallery
Previously Eeveon
Old October 27th, 2012, 12:06 AM
Aurasphereboy
Unhatched Egg

I think that you should battle him every time you beat a gym just like cheren
Old October 27th, 2012, 12:48 AM
FrostPheonix
Eternity.

Nature: Quiet
I always felt my paranoia was justified when I healed before entering any route, cave or house. Soul Silver and Gold taught me that. I always hated the fact that Silver came around the corner and fought me. Especially the escapade at Mt. Moon.... augh. But now, playing through White 2, whenever I hear Rival music, I jump in fright, and realize he just wants me to help or talk. Dumb rival. Now I actually kind of miss fighting him... rivals were always sort of a challenge for me. And they gave so much exp. I miss them now.
Old October 29th, 2012, 12:32 AM
morrison

I actually thought i was being immature calling my rival dork, bu he really is a dork . meh. I am glad i didnt have to battle him too often, I hated it when he came up on victoryroad and i hadnt have any potions left and only 4 pkmn were fit more o rless.

Pokemon Hardmode Sapphire Comic
starts as b/w but turns colourful a couple of pages later
Old October 29th, 2012, 12:45 AM
Sora
The Keyblade Pokémon

Nature: Gentle
I must be the only person who doesn't mind this. They took a different route with the Rival which was alright to me; it was nice to have a Rival that wasn't always trying to compete with you for the Champion title, wanting to be stronger than you, or something along those lines. He had a different focus, and that was to help his sister and defeat those who brought misfortune on her.

Also for those who are complaining that he doesn't ever have a full team he does have one post e4 at Undella. Pretty sure he does at the other place you fight him; don't remember off the top of my head though. And for some reason he surprised me showing up right before exiting Victory Road despite it happening in almost every other generation. Whoops.
Old October 29th, 2012, 12:53 AM
Ice Car
Booted out - don't be like me!

Nature: Jolly
In B/W, you battled your rivals too much... In this game you didn't battle him enough, and he only caught a new Pokemon every century and a half.

I like him as a rival, but they didn't give him much screentime...
Old October 29th, 2012, 12:55 AM
morrison

I had hoped it would be after some nice guy with a doctors degree/ after pkmn center to heal my pokemon...
not much screentime? i think they got him quite a lot of screentime. just didnt battle that often

Pokemon Hardmode Sapphire Comic
starts as b/w but turns colourful a couple of pages later
Old October 29th, 2012, 11:00 AM
TheBigMan0706
UMAD?

Nature: Lax
The fact that you fought your rival limited times (and the fact he has limited team, even up to the Elite Four) did bug me alittle bit, but that epic battle music makes up for it. Is it me, or does his theme almost sounds like it should be made in 8 bit and featured in a mega man fan game?
´ 3`) official gulpin emote. ^.^Help gulpin take over the Internet and use him for your signature!

who knew?

I don't calculate stat values, I don't breed my way to perfection, and I don't care about natures. I catch my Pokemon the way they are, and treat them like individuals instead of brainless drones. If you use this philosophy, copy & paste this into your signature.
Old October 29th, 2012, 11:10 AM
Trainer Asia
Unhatched Egg

Nature: Lonely
...I didn't really mind that I couldn't battle my rival too often during the story. For me, he was more like a friend that would 'spar' with me from time to time...

The only real difficulty in his battles was the one right before the League. I didn't know I had to face him then, and by then I was down to a Gigalith and an Arcanine, with no revives and only 2 Hyper Potions (Somehow I won...) T.T
Too lazy to think of a real signature~
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here