The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Gaming > Fourth Generation

Notices

Fourth Generation Diamond, Pearl, and Platinum kicked off the fourth generation of Pokémon. Two years later, fans of the Johto region were treated to a remastered adventure in HeartGold & SoulSilver. Discuss the games, explore the features, share your experiences, and help other players out!

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old November 14th, 2012, 11:55 AM
imevil
Biggest Scyther Fan
Community Supporter

Nature: Naughty
So at the beginning of Diamond and Pearl (I don't remember if it was also Platinum) you watch TV and see there is a Red Gyarados in the area. You go out to see it and that is where you end p getting your Pokemon. When I first saw this I was excited that we would be able to catch the Pokemon we all remembered from the GSC days. But he never show'd up. Was anyone else disappointed.
Emerald Second City Challenge- COMPLETE
ULTIMATE MONOTYPE WATER!
Fire Red (COMPLETE) -> Crystal (COMPLETE) -> Emerald (COMPLETE) -> Platinum(COMPLETE -> Black 2

Hunger Games Challenge- District 8: Ruby 2/8

Old November 14th, 2012, 12:27 PM
curiousnathan
they said we could be anything

Nature: Careful
A little. It would have been fun to be able to catch a Red Gyarados for some link back to Johto and the GSC days, but once I learned that I wouldn't be able to catch it, I got over it really. Although, it would have been nice if just say, you bea the Elite Four, or on your journey to the three lakes later on in the plot, you'd be able to capture it.
Old November 14th, 2012, 12:39 PM
Oryx
Moon Prism POWER
Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
I never really liked Red Gyarados, it wasn't special to me because everyone could get it, so I wasn't sad to see it go. >_o
Old November 14th, 2012, 01:00 PM
hashtag
king cook

I also think the blow was softened a lot when HG/SS were announced, made it all make sense.
The path of the righteous man is beset of all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil me. Blessed is he who, in the name of the charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee.
Old November 14th, 2012, 01:39 PM
Castform

Nature: Modest
Send a message via Skype™ to Castform
I think they placed it in the opening scene as a hint about HG/SS. I never cared about it though...
Old November 14th, 2012, 02:29 PM
Pingouin7
¬‿¬
Community Supporter

Nature: Hardy
Quote:
Originally Posted by jellicentfan1 View Post
I think they placed it in the opening scene as a hint about HG/SS. I never cared about it though...
I don't understand why people see references as "hints" that X game is going to be released/remade.
Old November 14th, 2012, 02:38 PM
Correspondence

I was exited i would be able to catch it which didn't happen, but HG/SS came out later so i wasn't too disappointed.
Old November 14th, 2012, 02:54 PM
Iceman3317
Kalos Explorer!

Nature: Quiet
Because they put hints in their games and it uselly is a hint. Team Rocket Grunt said he was gonna go to a far away region and start TR all over and in Unova you can find the same guy,but he had a family and it failed.

As other have said,I really don't care much for Red Gyarados because it is common. Honestly I didn't even remember that. Then again,it has been a while sense I had Diamond.
Old November 14th, 2012, 03:31 PM
Adrian!
Urban Adventurer

Nature: Impish
Send a message via Skype™ to Adrian!
III think it would have been an amazing idea to put it in the game. A beginner friend of mine had caught a shiny Magikarp in her Diamond version. She didn't know why it was a different color and thought it was glitched, so she traded it to someone who she didn't know was ripping her off. I died when I found because I had really wanted a red Gyarados more than anything in the D/P days.
Old November 14th, 2012, 04:09 PM
vaporeon7
My life would suck without you
Community Supporter

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Skype™ to vaporeon7
I never expected to be able to catch it so it never really phased me. It wouldn't make much sense anyway, because if the Sinnoh trainer caught the Red Gyarados, how could the Johto trainer catch it as well.
Old November 14th, 2012, 04:24 PM
bobandbill
Where's that sheep...

Nature: Jolly
Send a message via AIM to bobandbill Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to bobandbill
I was not disappointed as I did not expect to catch it! But I found it an odd thing to use to introduce the game in the first place - out of everything, thy chose that? Which I case is why some people took it as a hint for a HGSS remake given its unnecessary usage.

Sheep in the Big City: General Specific
Old November 14th, 2012, 05:00 PM
PiemanFiddy
Spreader of the T-Virus

Wut? There was a TV that broadcasted a Red Gyarados? I have platinum.. so IDK if that applies to me.. but I never really paid attention to the TV. XD

I just want my mom to shutup and take my money so I can have more Poke' Dolls. >:l
Old November 16th, 2012, 04:13 PM
imevil
Biggest Scyther Fan
Community Supporter

Nature: Naughty
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaporeon7 View Post
I never expected to be able to catch it so it never really phased me. It wouldn't make much sense anyway, because if the Sinnoh trainer caught the Red Gyarados, how could the Johto trainer catch it as well.
because there is more than one shiny Gyarados in the pokemon world?
Emerald Second City Challenge- COMPLETE
ULTIMATE MONOTYPE WATER!
Fire Red (COMPLETE) -> Crystal (COMPLETE) -> Emerald (COMPLETE) -> Platinum(COMPLETE -> Black 2

Hunger Games Challenge- District 8: Ruby 2/8

Old November 16th, 2012, 10:55 PM
Rainbow Arcanine
now known as narnia

I was slightly disappointed when I first heard there wasn't a Red Gyarados when I was around 8 and I remember getting furious at the newsreporters from the beginning of the game,saying they were pure liars. Now being a bit older and less...crazy over such things, I realised they just wanted people to put more effort in the games searching for a Red Gyarados.

But then again, I found it even if they included it uneccessary since there was already one since GSC. So there isn't much point if they threw in another one, it would of been nice if there was another shiny to catch in the game but that's just me :p.
. :p
Old November 16th, 2012, 11:55 PM
Manganum
Your local sine wave

Nature: Calm
They never told you you'd be able to catch the red Gyarados; if I remember correctly, Barry/your rival says something along the lines of "let's go to the lake and catch a Pokemon like that," while in Platinum he refers directly to Mesprit.

The Music

Pendulum - The Terminal
Danny Byrd - Ill Behavior
Netsky - Love Has Gone

The Projects

Unnamed DnB project
Composition for rehearsals

The Inspiration

Pendulum
Blackmill
Enter Shikari

Old November 21st, 2012, 11:41 AM
FrostPheonix
Eternity.

I was dissapointed, if I am right there was a news reporter in the battle frontier island that said he was there to film it. So excited. And then I finish the place and found heatran. Although I got a legend, I was so angry at Game Freak for talking about it the whole time and then just not bothering to continue that anymore.
Old November 21st, 2012, 01:00 PM
Don Bastio
Banned

if everyone could get a red gyarados, they might as well have a regular gyarados. the rarity of shinys make up more of the appeal than the color of them. (at least for me)
Old November 23rd, 2012, 02:14 PM
⊗Slenderman⊗
[Left PC]
Community Supporter

Diamond was my first game, so I didn't know what a shiny was at the time. But, as for the question, my answer is no. I don't really consider red Gyarados to be at the same level as other shiny Pokemon. After all, anyone with some Pokemon knowledge and a version of HG or SS can get one.
(Copy/paste the above into your browser)
Old November 24th, 2012, 07:03 PM
Don Bastio
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ⊗Slenderman⊗ View Post
Diamond was my first game, so I didn't know what a shiny was at the time. But, as for the question, my answer is no. I don't really consider red Gyarados to be at the same level as other shiny Pokemon. After all, anyone with some Pokemon knowledge and a version of HG or SS can get one.
shinys are in every game since gen II....
Old November 27th, 2012, 08:53 PM
Pinta77
McDonald's Insider
Community Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to Pinta77
Quote:
Originally Posted by ⊗Slenderman⊗ View Post
That can also be true about Suicune, Entei, Raikou, Dragonite, Garchomp, Haxorous, and Pichu. There are quite a few freebie shinys. I agree they aren't as special, but they're still something.

Wonder Trade!!!
Old December 19th, 2012, 11:42 AM
ahmet476
standing around

I looked for it in Platinum after the reporters moved from the lake entrance. I was a little disappointed but I don't care much about shinies since they made them regular pokemon starting from gen 3. Before they would have slightly better stats. Now they are just the same pokemon just with different colors

Also, I remember Lance catching it in the anime. I thought maybe Lance caught it but I wouldn't know. I only played Platinum from gen 4 yet.

Playing Pokemon Flora Sky C-Dex

Old December 19th, 2012, 12:10 PM
skyluigi2
L-let's-a go...!

Send a message via Skype™ to skyluigi2
I wasn't disappointed; in reality it was just a cool little reference to G/S/C.

☆ 3DS FC: 5069-3912-3062
☆ Let me know if you've added me!

☆ Next most anticipated game(s): Super Smash Bros. for 3DS, Bayonetta 2, Fantasy Life, Hyrule Warriors and Pokémon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire

☆ Currently playing: Pokémon Platinum and Animal Crossing: New Leaf

☆ I'm known on Twitter as skyluigi2 as well

skyluigi2
Old December 19th, 2012, 12:28 PM
Sheep
foxy foxy whats it gonna be

Nature: Timid
...I honestly don't think I even noticed a red Gyarados on the screen, so no, I wasn't disappointed or anything. D: Never really liked Gyarados anyway and I was more focused on the new gen Pokemon at the time anyway.
Old December 21st, 2012, 06:11 PM
KingCarini
Unhatched Egg

I was a little disappointed, but it was easy to get over because if I really wanted one I knew I could just spend time fishing for a shiny Magikarp.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links