Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Entertainment & Hobbies > Video Games
Reload this Page Would you sell your old games?

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Video Games For all of your gaming needs! From console gaming to Let's Plays, this area encompasses all things relevant to gaming and gamers.

Old November 26th, 2012 (05:40 PM).
bitter gay.
Gold Tier

Nature: Bold
I never sell games. People talk about trading their games in and I always get bewildered because it's never an option I'd think of doing.
"And here we tinker with metal, to try to give it a kind of life, and suffer those who would scoff at our efforts. But who's to say that, if intelligence had evolved in some other form in past millennia, the ancestors of these beings would not now scoff at the idea of intelligence residing within meat?"
- Prime Function Aki Zeta-5, "The Fallacies of Self-Awareness"
Old November 26th, 2012 (07:20 PM).
It's ok to cry.

Nature: Sassy
Yes I have actually sold quite a few games that I've outgrown. Most of them I didn't enjoy in the first place, and a little cash does help, especially when these games that I hate are just sitting there gathering dust. I do obviously keep the nostalgic games, but I find there are not as many good games as I thought there were.

Old November 29th, 2012 (12:53 PM).
You seem rather drunk
Gold Tier

Nature: Jolly
I made a mistake in doing so, and I really regret it. I had to sell all my old Pokemon games to be able to finalize the funds for my PC gaming setup; I ended up selling all my old games for a total of £300 which included quite a few Pokemon games. I really wish I hadn't and had just earned that money after a few months.
Old November 29th, 2012 (05:12 PM).

Nature: Gentle
No I would never sell my old games because there classic treasures to me. No amount of money could give me that.
Old November 29th, 2012 (05:51 PM).
It's so overt it's covert

One time when I was about 10 years old, my stupid, ignorant self sold ALL OF MY OLD GAMEBOY COLOR GAMES. It makes me so sad to think that little me went to gamestop, got about 5$ for around 20 games that I would now cherish. *sigh*
Never sellin' a game again.
Old November 29th, 2012 (06:54 PM).
The Lady Cthulhu

Nature: Lonely
Insomniac, ouch!

I will only sell games I didn't enjoy and weren't already part of a series of games, like Pokemon, Final Fantasy, Fire Emblem, etc.

As for if/when they are worth a lot of money, I think that's even more reason to keep it in my collection.

Unfortunately, when I was younger, the Sega and then the PS1 belonged to the family, as did the games, so I had to share with my brother and sister, and a couple of years ago my brother sold a lot of the older games we ha without consulting anyone... :/
Old November 29th, 2012 (06:57 PM).
You idiot!

No I won't, never did, never will. All games whether they are fun or not are all sentimental to me.

VM | PM | MyAnimeList | Theme | Pairs | Previously
Old December 2nd, 2012 (10:33 AM).
Real Riders Wear Pink

Nature: Quirky
I would sell my old games that aren't so great or if I already got it as virtual consoles.
Old December 2nd, 2012 (03:55 PM).
Riddled with pokerus

Nature: Naughty
Quote originally posted by Insomniac:
One time when I was about 10 years old, my stupid, ignorant self sold ALL OF MY OLD GAMEBOY COLOR GAMES. It makes me so sad to think that little me went to gamestop, got about 5$ for around 20 games that I would now cherish. *sigh*
Never sellin' a game again.
Good point! My ex gave away my GBC with a bunch of games. I really wish I had my old Pokemon Pinball (with Rumble) for gameboy :'(
Old December 2nd, 2012 (05:38 PM).
Oxymoron, not a moron, thanks

Send a message via AIM to LividZephyr Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to LividZephyr
The only reason you should ever sell a game is if you're never going to play it again. That's the philosophy I live by. I don't really buy that many games to begin with, though, so I typically never end up selling anything. I sometimes crave playing a game out of the blue xD

Credit to whomever drew that Hilda picture. Lemme know if that's you.

~*~ 3DS FC: 3540-0366-4191 ||| Mii name: Andy ||| IGN: Amanda ~*~
Old December 2nd, 2012 (06:09 PM).
Ω We fly Sky-High Ω

Nature: Relaxed
Depends on the game

I sometimes tend to buy video games on impulse and end up getting really tired of it in a matter of hours. Some games get REALLY BORING once you clear the main walkthrough. In this case, I would definitely sell it.

However, if a game is really addicting, I would spend months to years of playing and end up running it to the ground. And since I would get so much good memories of playing that game, I would keep the cartridge (disc, whatever) somewhere safe, even though I know I would never be able to play it again. And I would never sell it. EVER

"I go fast. Not because I want to, but because no one else will..." -Mega Salamence by Dragonith
Old December 2nd, 2012 (09:04 PM).
Get in the Game
Administrator

The only games I've ever gotten rid of are games that I really didn't like and know I'd never want to play. Otherwise, I enjoy having a game collection - it's nice to display and I like being able to go back and play games again later on down the line. So to answer your question, no, I'd never sell my old games.
Old December 7th, 2012 (01:09 PM).
twitter.com/kuraberrym

Nature: Serious
My bro still plays our old games so I wouldnt.. unless they just were games we wouldn't play ever again,really..
Old December 10th, 2012 (10:48 AM).
the blossom pokémon
Crystal Tier

I like going back to play games or I like just seeing them on my shelf, so I rarely--if ever--sell games. I think the only games I've ever sold are duplicate copies and even then it's always been to friends. :x
Old December 10th, 2012 (12:53 PM). Edited December 10th, 2012 by TRIFORCE89.
Guide of Darkness
Gold Tier

Nature: Quiet
I would the more junky games I own. Like some Grinch Pac-Man clone I got as a kid XD Or Sonic and the Secret Rings. But, I haven't yet

Otherwise, I keep my old games because I replay them.

I once sold a duplicate copy of Phantom Hourglass to Lightning though because she wouldn't accept it as a gift. lol I had the game already and beat it, and then this came in the Zelda DS Lite bundle. Didn't need the game twice.
Old December 12th, 2012 (01:50 PM).
<insert witty eloquence here>

I sell old games all the time, to be honest. If I'm not going to play them any more, why bother keeping them around? I get some money for them, and the shop that I sell them to gets to sell them on to someone who will hopefully appreciate the game anew. The circle of gaming life. But I only do it to games that I've either exhausted or given up on, so I know that I'm definitely not going to regret it once I'm done.
Old December 12th, 2012 (06:32 PM).
Back to PC~
Silver Tier

Totally.
I'd rather have the money than a game that I never play anymore. I've traded in my games before already, though they were all ones that I don't play.
Old December 17th, 2012 (09:19 PM).
I'm a blur

Nature: Lonely
Send a message via AIM to Zozma
I don't sell my games. I give them to my brothers if I don't like them. Now that we have a Gamefly account, though, I can usually test drive a game before purchasing it.

My websites:

Old December 20th, 2012 (03:52 PM).
Gamer Girl

I sold all of my PS, PS2 and N64 games and now I would love to have my collection back so I learned the hard way to only sell a game if I really didn't enjoy it. Plus I'm a complete hoarder so it pains me a little bit to sell them.

Old December 21st, 2012 (01:18 PM).
I need no introduction.

Nature: Serious
Well, I won't sell my old games anymore. There was a few that I did sell and kinda regretting it now.
Old December 21st, 2012 (01:39 PM).
You seem rather drunk
Gold Tier

I think it all comes down to what sort of person you are.

Hardcore gamers, or collectors, would most likely opt out of selling old games. Or even if you just like to have memories or want to have an impressing shelf, but normally it would be the first option. A lot of the time, selling old games will get you a small amount of money, and that doesn't pay up for the joy it gave to you when you picked it up at the store for a mean price. It's nice to play an old game every now then, I pop onto my Color to play a bit of Pokemon Yellow here and there, it's the original Pokemon game and the first I ever played; this game is precious to me. People treasure games, and that isn't a bad thing, games are what makes us happy, entertain us and let us have a good ol' laugh with a bunch of our friends. I know someone who has every Pokemon game, boxed, on his main shelf and you see it whenever you step foot into his room, and I respect him for that.

But then you get the people who don't care about the old, in with the new. Sometimes people could just see it as pointless, they would rather have that bit of extra money to buy some of the new releases. I can't say that I haven't done this, because I have, I was a bit low on buying Guild Wars 2 so I had to look back at some of my older games such as Oblivion GOTY Edition and sell them, I think there are a fair few people around here who have done this. I sell my old games that I hardly ever played, simply because I don't really like them and would much rather have a bit of extra cash saving up for a game I do like.

Ultimately, it will always be your choice. For me, it will always vary. If, as I mentioned, it is a game that I don't like and need cash, I will sell it. But if it is a game I loved and prize, I would just keep it.
Old December 26th, 2012 (01:43 PM).

I've sold a few games. The only one I wish I had again is SpongeBob Squarepants: Battle for Bikini Bottom for the Game Boy Advance, which I got as a present when I was ten. I'm not against selling games on principle, but unless I am pretty much totally sure that I will never want to play a game again and that it will be reasonably easy to obtain another copy if I somehow do, I won't sell it. I still own Star Wars: Rogue Leader, which seems to have gotten great reviews but that I've only played a few times despite owning it for almost eight years.

I've never sold a Pokemon game, for that matter, though I've lost a couple of them.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links