The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > Hacks Studio

Notices

Hacks Studio Hacks Studio is the go-to destination for browsing our curated collection of ROM hacks, all made by PokéCommunity members! Patch, play and enjoy!
(Made a bit of progress on a ROM hack already? Post your projects in the Progressing Hacks forum!)
ROM Hacks are to subject to moderator approval before they are displayed.

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old August 15th, 2013, 12:20 PM
Chaos Rush
im sexy and i know it

Nature: Adamant
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJBottomz View Post
Wouldn't it just make mores sense to let Abra learn Confusion earlier? Unless it comes at a level close to 22, it seems like a real hassle to train-and-gain that many levels, especially since Abra only knows Teleport until it evolves.
It's not a hassle. You train Abra the same amount of levels that you do in the original game.

In the original game, the Pokemon on Route 24 & 25 were around Lv12. In DarkViolet, they're around Lv18. Meaning that the amount of training it takes to get a Kadabra is exactly the same the original game.

The Chaos Emerald ROM Base (it's gonna take awhile)

DS-style 64x64 Pokémon Sprite Resource NOW COMPLETED
Custom Sugimori-style Pokémon Sprite Resource IN PROGRESS

My PM box is full and I am choosing to keep it that way.

Non-Pokémon hacks I support:
Sonic Classic Heroes
Sonic 3 Complete
Old August 15th, 2013, 01:22 PM
DoesntKnowHowToPlay
some loser

Quote:
In the original game, the Pokemon on Route 24 & 25 were around Lv12. In DarkViolet, they're around Lv18. Meaning that the amount of training it takes to get a Kadabra is exactly the same the original game.
Later levels come slower. Like I said on IRC, I would consider toning some of the earlier stuff down before ramping up evolution levels as your level curve is terrifying (i've been told my third gym is too high level and it's on par with your second).

Also Magnemite evolving at 25 instead of 30 when everything else is getting pushed back sounds like blatant favoritism. Yes, Magnemite has a rough time in the 25~30 range due to its mediocre HP starting to show, but given how efficient Magneton and Magnezone tend to be I feel it's better for them to have to wait so choosing to use them isn't a no-brainer.

Yet Another Fire Red Hack

Physical/Special Split
Old August 15th, 2013, 01:34 PM
Chaos Rush
im sexy and i know it

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoesntKnowHowToPlay View Post
Later levels come slower. Like I said on IRC, I would consider toning some of the earlier stuff down before ramping up evolution levels as your level curve is terrifying (i've been told my third gym is too high level and it's on par with your second).

Also Magnemite evolving at 25 instead of 30 when everything else is getting pushed back sounds like blatant favoritism. Yes, Magnemite has a rough time in the 25~30 range due to its mediocre HP starting to show, but given how efficient Magneton and Magnezone tend to be I feel it's better for them to have to wait so choosing to use them isn't a no-brainer.
In DarkViolet, Magnemite can be found at Route 3. Magnemite evolving at Lv25 would make sense for DarkViolet, since all the other Pokemon in that area evolve around that level range. It would make no sense for Magnemite to evolve at Lv30 when the other Pokemon on Route 3, such as Ekans and Machop, evolve in their 20's (Machop now Lv24).

Like I predicted, I knew that people would not like these changes, but having played through my own hack multiple times, I don't see anything wrong with the balance. When I started, I personally was not expecting the levels to be this high, at most I expected I would have Misty at around Lv23.

Also it's unfair to compare the level curve my hack to YAFRH, because DarkViolet has a lot more Trainer battles than vanilla FR. "toning it down" would either mean I remove some Trainers, which is not happening, cause most of the extra Trainers so far are just Team Rocket events necessary for the game's story, or make the levels unnecessary low, which would cause the game to be a lot easier than the original game, which is something I definitely don't want.

Let me remind you just how many extra trainers there are:
*Red/Green in Pallet Town
*Rocket Grunt in Viridian City
*Kamon in Viridian City
*2 School Kid's inside Viridian Trainer's School
*Youngster and Lass on Route 2
*Red/Green in Viridian Forest
*Lass in Viridian Forest
*Pewter Gym now has 2 trainers (+ Brock)
*2 Rocket Grunts in Pewter Museum
*Kamon in Pewter Museum
*about 4-5 extra Trainers on Route 3 to accommodate how the Route is now significantly longer
*about 4-5 extra Rocket Grunts in Mt. Moon
*Executive Ariana on Mt. Moon
*Lass on Route 4
*Red/Green in Cerulean City
*Daisy on Route 25
*Cerulean Gym now has 5 trainers (+ Misty)

Hope that explains why the levels are turning out unexpectedly high. Also I stated early in the thread that I would like the game's difficulty to be on-par with Mother 2 and Mother 3, and arguably DarkViolet still hasn't even reached that. This isn't G/S/C where you fight Lv15 wild Pokemon even though you have 6 badges, guys.

Sonic Classic Heroes
Sonic 3 Complete

Last edited by Chaos Rush; August 15th, 2013 at 10:50 PM.
Old August 15th, 2013, 05:52 PM
mikethepokemaster

Nature: Jolly
I for one like the changes you did to the games. I think the remake of red and blue version should have been like your game there more fun and interesting the remake just seem like to me just enhance graphics. Is there the date you'll release the beta i really want to see what you've done.
Old August 15th, 2013, 10:50 PM
alienhunterx

Nature: Brave
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to alienhunterx
Yeah it does not matters as it is your hack. So these changes have been put in the beta or yet to because I see no comments about that. Sorry if I sound like a noob. Been busy in other hacks so I am asking like this
Old August 16th, 2013, 07:09 AM
HackChu
I need a haircut...
Community Supporter Tier 1

Nature: Modest
Like I said before, I only dislike that the oppenent spams stat reducing moves and sleep/paralysis. Had this problem in Viridian Forest and it was very annoying.

My 'learning how to combine battle scripts' thread:
http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=183001

SoulSilver FC:1162 1864 5409
Name: Ethan

Black FC: 2666 1354 4379
Name: Ashton

White 2 FC: 1120 8065 3049
Name: Nate

3DS Friend Code: 1349-4646-2412
Name: tysonrss
Old August 16th, 2013, 12:16 PM
Chaos Rush
im sexy and i know it

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikethepokemaster View Post
I for one like the changes you did to the games. I think the remake of red and blue version should have been like your game there more fun and interesting the remake just seem like to me just enhance graphics. Is there the date you'll release the beta i really want to see what you've done.
The next release will be Beta 1, which will go all the way up to Silph Co. and Leader Sabrina. Unfortunately that's a long ways away, so I have no release date for Beta 1 yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alienhunterx View Post
Yeah it does not matters as it is your hack. So these changes have been put in the beta or yet to because I see no comments about that. Sorry if I sound like a noob. Been busy in other hacks so I am asking like this
These changes will be in the next release, which is Beta 1.

Sonic Classic Heroes
Sonic 3 Complete
Old August 16th, 2013, 12:25 PM
DrakWarrior
Pkmn Trainer

Nature: Calm
Your hack is the best, I cannot wait for the beta 1
Old August 24th, 2013, 04:50 AM
Shiny Lizard

Awesome!
Just one stupid question...How did u change the battle bases and background...I ask cause i can't find how to do this!
Old August 24th, 2013, 05:17 AM
Orifiel
Priestess

Nature: Lonely
wow, the new attacks are great! hope you
don't abandon this hack :p
Old August 25th, 2013, 03:52 AM
MrDollSteak
Formerly known as 11bayerf1

TBH I think that changing the evolution levels is a great idea.

One slight problem I see though, is that some Pokemon that can now be caught
earlier, are as a result evolving earlier, despite having relatively strong evolutions.
For example, Magnemite evolves only one level later than Machop, but has an evolution
with a 60 extra base stat total, while Mankey who evolves 3 levels earlier than Machop
has an evolution with a 50 higher base stat total.

Obviously it's your decision, those are just my thoughts on that particular example,
an example I've seen only on paper (well monitor) as opposed to actually playing it.
I doubt that you'd assign levels willy-nilly, so I'm sure you can judge at this stage
particularly whether they feel overpowered compared to other Pokemon. Other than
that, as I said before, I think it's a great idea. Slowpoke evolving at 29 is a godsend!
It always bothered me getting it up to 37 from an egg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiny Lizard View Post
Awesome!
Just one stupid question...How did u change the battle bases and background...I ask cause i can't find how to do this!
There's a tutorial just for this: http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?p=7681827

I'd check the tutorials if I were you, you may find things you were going to ask other people
how to do!

Last edited by MrDollSteak; August 25th, 2013 at 05:26 AM. Reason: phrasing
Old August 25th, 2013, 05:52 PM
sonicfan7895
Sprite Inserter

Nature: Serious
Send a message via Yahoo to sonicfan7895 Send a message via Skype™ to sonicfan7895
All I have to say is "Wow!"

This is an amazing hack, and people like me overflowed with excitement and joy, also questioning the unreal in a different region (like the Berry Trees from Johto).

I'm only in Viridian City training my Rattata, but wow! This is exciting as all hell! You guys sure did a great job making this hack, and if I could give you a rating of 1-5 Stars, I would give you 10! Thank you for bringing my love of Pokemon back to life (although X and Y will surely do the same, this is completely different).
Old August 26th, 2013, 07:42 PM
chimpact

Send a message via Skype™ to chimpact
The "new" attacks you implemented look amazing. I'll def be lp'g this when it's fully completed. Great job so far!
Old August 26th, 2013, 08:47 PM
latias190

Nature: Quiet
Wow, the graphics look amazing. Can't wait until this is finished so I can play it.
Old August 30th, 2013, 11:49 AM
vichorio

You did an amazing job! Congratulations! And your version of the plot is really interesting, clearly a more "Adult" version of the pokemon plot, if you will... I'll wait for the next releases!
BTW, if I may profer a (stupid) question, what's with all these guys talking about stuff that are past Pewter City? Have you released a version newer than Alpha 2.2? or is it that those people are helping you to debug?? If it's not much trouble, I would really like to know that

Good luck with this great hacks!
Old August 30th, 2013, 12:24 PM
Chaos Rush
im sexy and i know it

Quote:
Originally Posted by vichorio View Post
You did an amazing job! Congratulations! And your version of the plot is really interesting, clearly a more "Adult" version of the pokemon plot, if you will... I'll wait for the next releases!
BTW, if I may profer a (stupid) question, what's with all these guys talking about stuff that are past Pewter City? Have you released a version newer than Alpha 2.2? or is it that those people are helping you to debug?? If it's not much trouble, I would really like to know that

Good luck with this great hacks!
Thanks for the comments, basically about people talking about stuff past Pewter City, that's just because I've revealed screenshots of areas past Pewter City. No, I have not released anything since Alpha 2.2. My only beta tester is giradialkia, and he is the only one that has played anything past Pewter City at this point. Right now I'm actually up to Vermilion City:

Beta 1 will end shortly after defeating Sabrina, who will be the 7th Gym Leader in DarkViolet. I want Beta 1 to be freakin huge, and will end on a cliffhanger in terms of the plot. Right now now I am working on getting all Pokemon sprites completed for DarkViolet's Kanto Dex.

EDIT: (also, kinda pointless for me to mention, but in future releases, the Charmander family will no longer learn Dragon Rage, and instead will learn a non-game-breaking move)

Sonic Classic Heroes
Sonic 3 Complete
Old August 31st, 2013, 12:36 AM
alienhunterx

Yeah extending the beta is good so that people could spend some hours playing it. I hope the beta is finished soon
Old September 1st, 2013, 08:31 AM
ligerre

Give chamander fire pledge or flame brust instead of dragon rage. Problem solved.
I prefer fire pledge, because you can give bullbasaur and squrite grass/water pledge at that level as well
Old September 1st, 2013, 10:05 AM
Chaos Rush
im sexy and i know it

Quote:
Originally Posted by ligerre View Post
Give chamander fire pledge or flame brust instead of dragon rage. Problem solved.
I prefer fire pledge, because you can give bullbasaur and squrite grass/water pledge at that level as well
I've already chosen what move to replace the OP Dragon Rage, and it is neither Fire Pledge nor Flame Burst. You'll have to find out when Beta 1 comes out lol.

(not to mention, Fire Pledge isn't even programmed into DarkViolet, and the Charmander family learns Flame Burst at a later level anyway)

Sonic Classic Heroes
Sonic 3 Complete
Old September 1st, 2013, 10:35 AM
2nku2
A legit trainer

Nature: Relaxed
Sorry but may I ask how you edited the graphics of your attack? Or am I being blonde to know there weren't edited.
Old September 4th, 2013, 12:30 AM
Chaos Rush
im sexy and i know it

Just a minor announcement: In all future releases, the extra Pokedex features will be restored (I removed them in the Alpha because I didn't want to deal with re-organizing the pages), but then I decided to suck it up and reorganized the pages. All pages have been adjusted accordingly to accommodate the Gen IV Pokemon that will be in the game.

Sonic Classic Heroes
Sonic 3 Complete
Old September 4th, 2013, 08:36 AM
tvoza2
Armored Skarmory

Nature: Bold
I apologize if it has been asked, but since you only have 210 pokemon in game, will you include the mega evolutions for those of the 210 that have them?
Old September 4th, 2013, 02:48 PM
dreamengine

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvoza2 View Post
I apologize if it has been asked, but since you only have 210 pokemon in game, will you include the mega evolutions for those of the 210 that have them?
I'm just going to answer that for him.

No, just no.

lol. btw now that gen 1 sprites are done, will progress be speeding up?
Old September 4th, 2013, 03:53 PM
Chaos Rush
im sexy and i know it

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvoza2 View Post
No. I don't want X & Y to have any influence on DarkViolet at all. That's kind of what prevented DarkViolet from making progress these past 4 years, because there was always some idea that I got from playing a game that I wanted to implement. But at this point, I'm going to finish DarkViolet with the same way I intended to finish it when I started this current incarnation a year ago.

(and how the hell would I implement Mega Evolutions anyway?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamengine View Post
lol. btw now that gen 1 sprites are done, will progress be speeding up?
Hopefully There's 15 Pokemon that are still missing sprites due to DarkViolet's expanded Kanto Dex, but a lot of contributors in the sprite project have them covered, so I'll most likely finish the remaining sprites within the next 1-2 days.

But having all Gen I sprites completed will definitely help speed up progress (all 151 Gen I Pokemon are in DarkViolet's Kanto Dex, obviously). Before every time I made a new area with a Pokemon not yet encountered, I would have to go and make a sprite for it, but I won't have to do that anymore. Now I can just focus on mapping and scripting, and hopefully Beta 1 will come sooner than expected.

Sonic Classic Heroes
Sonic 3 Complete
Old September 5th, 2013, 10:13 PM
alienhunterx

You can ask 1158, the creator of Victory Fire. He has added them in his hack
Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links