The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Gaming > Pokémon Gaming Central

Notices

Pokémon Gaming Central For topics that aren't necessarily restricted to one game, Pokémon Gaming Central ranges from comparing and contrasting the differences in the gaming generations to discussing the gaming franchise as a whole.

Advertise here

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old November 21st, 2012, 10:44 AM
Volcanix769
Known as the Quilava Guy!

Nature: Careful

Advertise here
Now there are certain Pokemon you find useless to use in journeys of your playthroughs. But I don't mean those that have the same type/types of your team. I mean by a specific Pokemon.

For me, I consider Plusle and Minun. They are Electric types, yes, but their movepool along with horrible Defense makeup(mainly Plusle) makes it useless to use. Even Spinda or Kricketune. Not to mention Ditto.

Last edited by Volcanix769; November 21st, 2012 at 02:16 PM.
Old November 21st, 2012, 10:59 AM
PokemonGiratinaX
Will be always PGX

Nature: Modest
And for me, I think it is a Dunsparce. It is a Normal-type and has a horrible speed including a bad movepool. I never use it on any Pokemon game.
Old November 21st, 2012, 11:02 AM
Mochi
Formerly AzaleaLightning

Nature: Sassy
I wanted to use Emolga in BW2, but after learning the only special Flying-type move is Air Slash through breeding, I thought it wasn't worth it.
Old November 21st, 2012, 11:03 AM
Oryx
open up your sea chart
Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
This is game-specific, so I'm going to kick it over to the gaming section!

I loved Azurill's design but it was so weak when I tried to use it that I had to drop it. >_o

'Hoy, small fry!
Old November 21st, 2012, 11:08 AM
Jak
i'll let you have it

Nature: Timid
I typically don't like to have that thought, but I've gotten stuck with Delibird in like...three different challenges before and I've never used anything so bad. Even Unown was better. I also disliked using Zebstrika in my Hall of Fame challenge. It was horrible and didn't even KO anything, and Garbodor is also tied with it in that category, but at least Garbodor could poison stuff before he went down. Watchog did better than them. I am not kidding.

Into the room, I know you want it
Bang bang, all over you, I'll let you have it
Wait a minute, let me take you there
Old November 21st, 2012, 11:16 AM
PlatinumDude
Nyeh?
Community Supporter

Nature: Hasty
Send a message via Yahoo to PlatinumDude Send a message via Skype™ to PlatinumDude
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toujours View Post
This is game-specific, so I'm going to kick it over to the gaming section!

I loved Azurill's design but it was so weak when I tried to use it that I had to drop it. >_o
You know that some Azurill have Huge Power to make up for their low Attack, right?

Anyway, Purrloin is useless, IMO. Its offenses are only average and its level-up movepool is pretty bad.

Old November 21st, 2012, 11:36 AM
Lilith
Protect his very soul.

I started using a Liepard but it became horribly useless by like, the second gym lol. Zebstrika was also a major pain to train. One would think that electric+fire would be good enough to keep the zebra around, but it dies against even the faintest of attacks.

Azumarill was a beast in my HGSS run, though.
Old November 21st, 2012, 11:42 AM
Sora
The Keyblade Pokémon

Nature: Gentle
If I put a Pokemon on my team it usually stays around until the end. That said, I never really had a Pokemon that was useless to me. Even Zebstrika had it's nice moments when it was on my team my first playthrough. I have switched Pokemon out but not because I have deemed them worthless (I'm pretty sure I would get killed if I called Lucario worthless) but that they just didn't suit my style or something.

That said, some of the Pokemon people have called worthless I have considered using for the hell of it, like Delibird, Dunsparce, etc etc.
Old November 21st, 2012, 02:19 PM
Volcanix769
Known as the Quilava Guy!

Nature: Careful
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwilightBlade View Post
I started using a Liepard but it became horribly useless by like, the second gym lol. Zebstrika was also a major pain to train. One would think that electric+fire would be good enough to keep the zebra around, but it dies against even the faintest of attacks.

Azumarill was a beast in my HGSS run, though.
I used a Purrloin-Liepard in almost all of my journeys to get 8 badges in Pokemon Black. But when I last used her, she was used for battling Drayden. But since she was somewhat underleveled and was so weak, I gave up on her and got a Deino which is now a Hydreigon.

Same for Zebstrika, but I didn't replace him for Ampharos until like when I beat the Elite 4, I got Amphy from Pokemon Pearl. Azumarill is pretty strong if you keep Physical Attacks along with Huge Power.
Old November 21st, 2012, 02:27 PM
Mr Cat Dog
Everything Will Be OK

Nature: Relaxed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydian View Post
Even Unown was better.
I'm sorry, just... no. I can't deal with that. Mind = blown.

For me, both Zebstrika and Galvantula occupied that role when playing Black version. I needed an Electric Pokemon in my team, but both of these two were just so brittle. Two moves of virtually any type could knock them both out. I'd end up using Eelektross later in the game, but I really expected more from a cool electric zebra and spider!
Old November 21st, 2012, 02:29 PM
SilverAbsol
Absol's Shadow

I once had a Poliwrath on my Soul Silver before. It was a perfect Poliwrath, in both natures and IVs, and this was something I caught as a Poliwag in the wild.
Never before has a Pokemon been so useless before. It baffled me how many times it lost to opponents it shouldn't have even worried about.

Then, in BW2, I had a Lucario. It had a worse knockout/knocked-out ratio than the Dewott I never evolved. I have begun to refer to all Pokemon like that as my Poliwrath.
Old November 21st, 2012, 03:14 PM
Galoria
Moo~ ♪

Nature: Jolly
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Galoria Send a message via Skype™ to Galoria
Oh well, there are many usless Pokémon... But I like to assemble a team of cute Pokémon, even if they're usless or weak! xD
It makes challenge for me... So far, I never used a legendary to be honest except in my Red version to beat the Pokémon League!
For exemple, people will make evolve Pikachu, some of them will keep Pikachu, because it is cute.
First, my favorite Pokémon was Eevee, till Pearl and Diamond came out. Now it is Leafeon D:
Yeah...I used Eevee without using a stone to try to beat the Pokémon League...xD

Here are some I councider that I will never travel with them!

And the most powerful one....

Simply because most of them are usless, and some of them are simply ugly! xD
Old November 21st, 2012, 03:24 PM
Unhatched Egg

its gotta be the rip off i got from the GTS wich was a magikarp >:I

made bye me...
Old November 21st, 2012, 03:47 PM
sunshinesan
Pokesho fan

Nature: Bold
I'm a fan of Umbreon, but it is very very very useless in a ingame run-through.

Currently playing as of 10/26/2012: POKEMON WHITE 2
FC: 3826 6533 5813
Crazy Shenanigans - Click Me
Old November 21st, 2012, 04:10 PM
SamuJake
I beat Red when I was 8' bro.

Nature: Modest
Tentacools. I'm actually versing one right now on my Gameboy. But yeah Tentacools to me are useless.
Old November 21st, 2012, 05:44 PM
Mononoke Hime
viva emptiness

Nature: Sassy
For me, useless pokemon are pokemon that I consider UGLY.
Nuff said.
Old November 21st, 2012, 06:42 PM
Hikamaru
pseudologia fantastica
Community Supporter

Nature: Quirky
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwilightBlade View Post
I agree with both Mr Cat Dog and TwilightBlade, I tried Zebstrika on my Black playthrough and even though I liked its design, it didn't live up to my expectations cos it kept falling after 2 hits every single time.

Same goes for Liepard, like what PlatinumDude and TwilightBlade said. It's just too brittle and its moves aren't all that great.

And I also agree with Galoria on Ledian, it's stats are amongst the worst for fully-evolved Bug-types. Unown only learns one move (and their only purpose is collecting all its forms) while Luvdisc has terrible stats and movepool, the only good thing about it is that they carry Heart Scales.

However, Smeargle is helpful for breeding movesets onto Field egg group Pokemon.

paired with AWsquared and Starry Windy
battle server | tumblr | twl | profile | supporter

Old November 21st, 2012, 07:27 PM
sunshinesan
Pokesho fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mononoke Hime View Post
For me, useless pokemon are pokemon that I consider UGLY.
Nuff said.
Care to expound on that?
What pokemon do you consider ugly. It's what's inside that counts!(a.k.a. stats, movepool, lol)

Old November 21st, 2012, 07:49 PM
The Grubby Pup
Where's mah shiny squeaky ball

Nature: Naughty
Send a message via Skype™ to The Grubby Pup
Pokemon that needs stones to evolve. The hard part about this is...Keepin'em in their pre-evolutionary form, till you find a poweful enough attack: like Clefairy and Hyper Voice and making them evolve too earlier will result in them learning pretty much no extra move. I know they are TMs. But most good one can only be found around either the end of the game or as prizes for BP points and stuff.
Old November 21st, 2012, 07:56 PM
Jak
i'll let you have it

Quote:
I'm a fan of Umbreon, but it is very very very useless in a ingame run-through.
wut. Am I the only person that can successfully use in-game Umbreon? lmao...On my last Black 2 playthrough, my Umbreon was MVP. ;(

Oh, and someone mentioned Smeargle earlier and I wanna agree with that as well. I LOVE Smeargle, don't get me wrong, but I just used one in a challenge and it just dragged the whole team down. It had its moments, but more often than not, it was a nuisance to the whole team. It has a niche in competitive play though, so at least it's not a total waste. Too bad it can't have Moody.

Old November 21st, 2012, 08:39 PM
sunshinesan
Pokesho fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydian View Post
wut. Am I the only person that can successfully use in-game Umbreon? lmao...On my last Black 2 playthrough, my Umbreon was MVP. ;(

Oh, and someone mentioned Smeargle earlier and I wanna agree with that as well. I LOVE Smeargle, don't get me wrong, but I just used one in a challenge and it just dragged the whole team down. It had its moments, but more often than not, it was a nuisance to the whole team. It has a niche in competitive play though, so at least it's not a total waste. Too bad it can't have Moody.
Umbreon is slow and weak offensively. It has a terrible offensive movepool and poor coverage. In gamewise, you pretty much want the exact opposite. Fast and Strong offensively so you're not prancing around every wild pokemon just to level up. This is why pokes like Archeops are so good, and great pokemon competitivewise that depends on stalling or other non offensive strategies like Ferrowthorn, Umbreon, etc. are very low tiered.

Old November 21st, 2012, 08:42 PM
Pvt Tamama
Chii!

Nature: Calm
i think the starters are useless i ditch them right after the first gym most of the time and any pokemon on the first few routes most of the time they seem weak or just get in the way eventually and zubats!
Old November 21st, 2012, 09:12 PM
Jak
i'll let you have it

Quote:
Umbreon is slow and weak offensively. It has a terrible offensive movepool and poor coverage. In gamewise, you pretty much want the exact opposite. Fast and Strong offensively so you're not prancing around every wild pokemon just to level up. This is why pokes like Archeops are so good, and great pokemon competitivewise that depends on stalling or other non offensive strategies like Ferrowthorn, Umbreon, etc. are very low tiered.
Err, yeah, I know how to play the game. Speaking of Ferrothorn, I did fine with that in-game as well. You can use whatever you want in-game and of course, it's not gonna work for everyone, but it might work for someone else. I mentioned Zebstrika being awful and I remember reading a post once where someone enjoyed using it. Different strokes for different folks.

Old November 21st, 2012, 10:24 PM
Zapperz
colour swapper!

Nature: Jolly
I used Umbreon countless of times and its wonderful.

anyway, Mine has to be Zebstrika. Its moves are.. okay..? But I remember playing a friend's game in the past and it kept on getting OHKOed most of the time..
Old November 21st, 2012, 10:41 PM
Brendino
Hold your breath. Make a wish. Count to three.

Nature: Quiet
Hmm... I had moderate success with Zebstrika (being that, it was on my team from the moment I caught it right through to the Elite Four). It wasn't the best, but it was a solid 5th-6th member in my party.

Personally, I always found the early game rodent Pokemon to be pretty useless (Rattata, Sentret, Zigzagoon, Bidoof, Patrat). They might add a little depth to your team to start off, but I was never able to use them much further than the first or second gym before they became a hinderance to my team.

Sponsored Links

Advertise here