The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Entertainment & Hobbies > Video Games

Notices

Video Games For non-Pokémon related game discussion. This area is for talking about computer and video gaming, from Nintendo to Sony, Microsoft to Sega, PC to Commodore.

Advertise here

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old January 9th, 2014, 03:44 PM
Spinosaurus

Advertise here
A bit late, but hey, I just decided to make this thread.

What is it?
Quote:
The fourth annual speed running marathon: Awesome Games Done Quick 2014. Is a 7-day online event (from January 5th-11th) to raise money for the Prevent Cancer Foundation. Featuring over 140 games, speed runners will play continuously in order to collect donations for Prevent Cancer Foundation, the partner for this event. During the marathon, donations enter you into various prizes, and can be used to determine the outcome of bidding wars! The various prizes and bidding wars can be found in the AGDQ2014 schedule.
YOU CAN HELP DONATE TO FIGHT CANCER DIRECTLY THROUGH GAMESDONEQUICK.COM

WATCH HERE

VVVVVV is on now. After it will be Age of Empires 2 run and then Starcraft II.

6 hour run of Chrono Trigger is the finale, which is following a Wind Waker HD speedrun by none other than Cosmo Wright.

Schedule, based on your time zone

Previous runs! Catch up with what you missed!

GO WATCH THE F-ZERO GX AND HITMAN BLOOD MONEY RUNS

Last edited by Spinosaurus; January 9th, 2014 at 04:00 PM.
Old January 9th, 2014, 03:50 PM
Dragon
Did YOU just call me "ma'am"? Are you trying to start something?

Nature: Modest
Ahaha, I was watching it too! The F-Zero run was fantastic! Mmm, kinda interested on how they'll play Chrono Trigger (only cause I literally haven't seen the game before); but so far, this is pretty well done!~

Old January 9th, 2014, 03:54 PM
Spinosaurus

The Hitman Blood Money run was absolutely hilarious. *Throw metal suit case through metal detector. Doesn't detect*

Looking forward to the Metroid block the most. Metroid Prime, followed by Super Metroid and a low% hard run (if incentive is met) of Zero Mission? Hell yes! Really hoping the F-Zero X 64DD incentive is met as well.

I also hope the Chrono Trigger character names incentive is met. Would be hilarious to see.

EDIT: VVVVVV time!
Old January 9th, 2014, 04:01 PM
machomuu
The Lights in the Sky are Stars
Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
The "I Wanna Be The Guy" stream has a giant Cirno doll. It gets props for that much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aura Blackquill View Post
Ahaha, I was watching it too! The F-Zero run was fantastic! Mmm, kinda interested on how they'll play Chrono Trigger (only cause I literally haven't seen the game before); but so far, this is pretty well done!~
I'm making it a point to avoid games that I haven't played yet, especially ones that I own (Unless I don't plan to play them, there aren't too many spoilers, etc.)

...With that said, go play Chrono Trigger now. It's great, and they'll probably make use of one of the many early endings to speedrun it.

But for the most part I'm going back and watching them rather than watching them live, if only because I don't have the times down.
Old January 9th, 2014, 04:07 PM
Spinosaurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by machomuu View Post
The "I Wanna Be The Guy" stream has a giant Cirno doll. It gets props for that much.

I'm making it a point to avoid games that I haven't played yet, especially ones that I own (Unless I don't plan to play them, there aren't too many spoilers, etc.)

...With that said, go play Chrono Trigger now. It's great, and they'll probably make use of one of the many early endings to speedrun it.

But for the most part I'm going back and watching them rather than watching them live, if only because I don't have the times down.
Here's the Schedule

I personally don't recommend only watching games you played unless you really care about even the most minor spoilers or if it's a game you actually wanna play blind eventually, otherwise you're missing a lot of great stuff. I never played Hitman Blood Money but that run really made me want to buy and play the game right now.
Old January 9th, 2014, 04:13 PM
Dragon
Did YOU just call me "ma'am"? Are you trying to start something?

Nature: Modest
THIS VVVVVV RUN ahahahaa! And those skips!! But the game looks really hard though. ;o; I don't really mind spoilers for games.. I may not get to try in the end. ):

Old January 9th, 2014, 04:14 PM
machomuu
Community Supporter

Maybe, and I know a lot of people do things like watch AMVs or Let's Plays of games to get into them, and I can do it for some things, especially story-lite things (So NES games and non-RPG SNES games), but I don't like to know what to expect in a lot of games. It varies, really, but I wouldn't watch...say...The Stanley Parable had I not played it before while I'd easily be able to watch Metroid.
Old January 9th, 2014, 04:24 PM
Spinosaurus

I get story-heavy games, but fortunately AGDQ is most of games where it's pretty much not a loss at all to spoil.

Also Terry Cavanagh, VVVVVV's creator, is on skype on stream right now! The run is crazy!
Old January 9th, 2014, 04:32 PM
machomuu
Community Supporter

Yeah, I guess one of the greatest things about Speed Runs is that story is skipped, so it's accessible to the masses, regardless of whether they've played it or not.

Also, has anyone donated or bought any merchandise?
Old January 9th, 2014, 11:51 PM
Spinosaurus

The StarCraft II brutal run was holy crap boring. Who thought speedrunning that game was a good idea? I honestly think it was picked to get those Twitch views more than anything.

Half-Life runs made up for it, at least.

Sponsored Links

Advertise here