Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Gaming > Pokémon Gaming Central
Reload this Page General Questions & Answers Thread

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Pokémon Gaming Central For topics that aren't necessarily restricted to one game, Pokémon Gaming Central ranges from comparing and contrasting the differences in the gaming generations to discussing the gaming franchise as a whole.

View Poll Results: Too much Mega Evolutions will impact the metagame negatively.
Yes 12 33.33%
No 12 33.33%
Yes, but it's not a real cause for concern. 12 33.33%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 1st, 2013 (03:42 AM).
Random Trainer

What do you guys think about Exploud? I was thinking of using it, and what should be the most suitable moves for it? (Excluding the breeding method)
Old July 1st, 2013 (04:30 AM). Edited July 1st, 2013 by molivious.
so much fail...

Nature: Modest
Quote originally posted by JesterLegacy:
What do you guys think about Exploud? I was thinking of using it, and what should be the most suitable moves for it? (Excluding the breeding method)
Well, first off, as one of the most versatile pokemon, he can use any offensive move without any problems. Ice Beam, Earthquake, Shadow Ball - you name it; he can use anything really well.

However, you will have to keep an eye out on every physical attacker you fight. If they have a fighting-type move, your Exploud is most probably pooped. His speed is pretty bad, not to mention his defenses. Squishy. That aside, you should have absolutely no problems at all trying to figure out what you want to do with him. He's like a snuggly doll you can dress with any costume!

For his moveset, it's really simple thanks to his stats. You won't have to think about physical/special at all... you only have to look at an attack's raw power and accuracy!
- Ground/Fighting/Fire (preferrably: Hammer Arm [egg move] / Brick Break / Fire Blast / Equake)
- Ice/Water (Surf / Ice Beam)
- STAB move for the others (Uproar / Hyper Voice / Return)
- move that covers other types

Ground/Fighting/Fire is mainly to counter Rock/Steel Types - although with an Ice/Water move, you can already take down rocks easily. Rock/Steel types are top mention because your STAB move makes little to no damage against them.

Ice/Water, aside from the mentioned, can help counter Fire, Grass or even the pesky Dragon types.

STAB, for those you could easily kill without type advantages. A lot of Psychic, Dark, Bug and Grass fall here.

Other. This is probably the most important piece to solve your puzzle. This particularly points to the first choice in my list -- If you chose a ground type earlier, then it means pokemon like Skarmory and Bronzong would be a pain for you to battle. In that case, putting Fire Blast in your "Other" category solves that problem. If you chose fighting, again, Skarmory could be a pain... as well as Scizor. Fire Blast shows yet another entrance. Now If you chose Fire Blast and picked Surf in your 2nd slot, then you can insert an Ice type here... or even a psychic type... ANYTHING! Whatever you feel might benefit your team the most could easily go here.

Squish, squish, squish. Goes the bug under your foot.
Squish, squish, squish. I'm telling you not to look.
Old July 1st, 2013 (04:57 AM).
Random Trainer

Quote originally posted by molivious:
Well, first off, as one of the most versatile pokemon, he can use any offensive move without any problems. Ice Beam, Earthquake, Shadow Ball - you name it; he can use anything really well.

However, you will have to keep an eye out on every physical attacker you fight. If they have a fighting-type move, your Exploud is most probably pooped. His speed is pretty bad, not to mention his defenses. Squishy. That aside, you should have absolutely no problems at all trying to figure out what you want to do with him. He's like a snuggly doll you can dress with any costume!

For his moveset, it's really simple thanks to his stats. You won't have to think about physical/special at all... you only have to look at an attack's raw power and accuracy!
- Ground/Fighting/Fire (preferrably: Hammer Arm [egg move] / Brick Break / Fire Blast / Equake)
- Ice/Water (Surf / Ice Beam)
- STAB move for the others (Uproar / Hyper Voice / Return)
- move that covers other types

Ground/Fighting/Fire is mainly to counter Rock/Steel Types - although with an Ice/Water move, you can already take down rocks easily. Rock/Steel types are top mention because your STAB move makes little to no damage against them.

Ice/Water, aside from the mentioned, can help counter Fire, Grass or even the pesky Dragon types.

STAB, for those you could easily kill without type advantages. A lot of Psychic, Dark, Bug and Grass fall here.

Other. This is probably the most important piece to solve your puzzle. This particularly points to the first choice in my list -- If you chose a ground type earlier, then it means pokemon like Skarmory and Magnezone would be a pain for you to battle. In that case, putting Fire Blast in your "Other" category solves that problem. If you chose fighting, again, Skarmory could be a pain... as well as Scizor. Fire Blast shows yet another entrance. Now If you chose Fire Blast and picked Surf in your 2nd slot, then you can insert an Ice type here... or even a psychic type... ANYTHING! Whatever you feel might benefit your team the most could easily go here.
Thank you
Another one, my Exploud's atk right now is around 20-30 points higher than its Sp. Atk. So, should I give it Fire Blast, or Fire Punch?
Old July 1st, 2013 (05:03 AM).
so much fail...

Quote originally posted by JesterLegacy:
Thank you
Another one, my Exploud's atk right now is around 20-30 points higher than its Sp. Atk. So, should I give it Fire Blast, or Fire Punch?
Fire Blast's still a better choice.

and minor correction: Magnezone -> Bronzong. I thought it was Magnezone with the Levitate ability >_< which make ground-type moves useless.

Old July 1st, 2013 (05:12 AM).
Random Trainer

Fire Blast's still a better choice.

and minor correction: Magnezone -> Bronzong. I thought it was Magnezone with the Levitate ability >_< which make ground-type moves useless.
Oh, okay, Fire Blast then....Thanks again!
Old July 1st, 2013 (03:59 PM).
Eevee breeder and caretaker

Ok I have a question: For baby pokemon what level do they evolve for you most of the time?

I ask because I was having trouble getting my budew to evolve early, someone one time told me he got his budew to evolve at like lvl 13 meanwhile it took me all the way to level 30ish and she never fainted once! The issue is that after around level 18 (IIRC) she starts losing moves because she would have learned them as roselia.

(Also I know it's based on friendship I'm just unsure if i'm missing something like how one guy says he evolved her at 13 O.o)

Old July 1st, 2013 (04:38 PM).
so much fail...

Quote originally posted by Sindrie:
Ok I have a question: For baby pokemon what level do they evolve for you most of the time?

I ask because I was having trouble getting my budew to evolve early, someone one time told me he got his budew to evolve at like lvl 13 meanwhile it took me all the way to level 30ish and she never fainted once! The issue is that after around level 18 (IIRC) she starts losing moves because she would have learned them as roselia.

(Also I know it's based on friendship I'm just unsure if i'm missing something like how one guy says he evolved her at 13 O.o)
Yup, friendship. A pokemon has a hidden "stat" that represents friendship, and it may increase and be maximized without even leveling up your pokemon once. This explains how your friend got his budew to evolve early - he simply maxed/met the friendship quota earlier than you did.

So yeah, there are several ways to increase it. Using vitamins/some berries, challenging gym leaders, catching a pokemon with a certain pokeball (Luxury ball), grooming/massage, or even by simply walking around! Once max happiness is reached, hit that next level and witness evolution.

It's also important to know that soothe bells boost the effects of mostly all increase by 1.5x

Old July 1st, 2013 (04:51 PM).
Eevee breeder and caretaker

Yup, friendship. A pokemon has a hidden "stat" that represents friendship, and it may increase and be maximized without even leveling up your pokemon once. This explains how your friend got his budew to evolve early - he simply maxed/met the friendship quota earlier than you did.

So yeah, there are several ways to increase it. Using vitamins/some berries, challenging gym leaders, catching a pokemon with a certain pokeball (Luxury ball), grooming/massage, or even by simply walking around! Once max happiness is reached, hit that next level and witness evolution.

It's also important to know that soothe bells boost the effects of mostly all increase by 1.5x
yeah I just think for level 13 that either he just walked around a ton or is bluffing XD or he has A LOT of cash to spend on vitamins.

Old July 1st, 2013 (05:33 PM).
get inked
Super Moderator
CS

Nature: Timid
Some of them need certain times of the day. Budew needs to level up with max friendship in the day to evolve into Roselia, similar to evolving Eevee into Espeon.

happily received
Old July 3rd, 2013 (11:52 AM).

Ok so Im into magic the gathering and my son just recently wanted to get into pokemon. I did used to play about 15 years ago and I remember jungle, and base set etc. My question to anyone (hopefully this is in the right spot and will most likely be the last time I ask any thing of anyone here) is there some sort of format system like in MTG? like legacy, modern, standard etc.? if there is where can I find a list of what sets are allowed in what type of tournyments?
Old July 3rd, 2013 (05:51 PM). Edited July 3rd, 2013 by molivious.
so much fail...

Quote originally posted by combolover:
Ok so Im into magic the gathering and my son just recently wanted to get into pokemon. I did used to play about 15 years ago and I remember jungle, and base set etc. My question to anyone (hopefully this is in the right spot and will most likely be the last time I ask any thing of anyone here) is there some sort of format system like in MTG? like legacy, modern, standard etc.? if there is where can I find a list of what sets are allowed in what type of tournyments?
All I know are these formats: Rotation, Modified, and Unlimited.

The equivalent of MTG's "standard" in Pokemon TCG is the Modified format, which only takes a few sets from the current Rotation. That said, Rotation is pretty much equivalent to MTG's 'modern' (and you would have to google the current rotation every now and then for that matter). Unlimited is equivalent to MTG's 'legacy'.

In Unlimited, all previously banned cards (well, officially, I suppose) are not allowed to be used. I'm actually not sure what cards are banned, lol, so you might want to check on those.

It's also been years since I've last touched pokemon TCG, so these comparisons might be off. >_< Feel free to correct me if i was wrong in everything, lol somewhere, or if this piece info is very outdated/incomplete. Well, if all else fails, you could try to search those keywords up the internet for better explanation.

Nonetheless, that's the most accurate way i could think of to make it easier for you to apply MTG's formats into Pokemon's. They're not really much different, eh?

Old July 7th, 2013 (04:03 AM). Edited July 7th, 2013 by Iash654.

So basically, I want to complete the SS nationaldex without having any cheated in pokemon. however most of my legends were cheated in at some point or another in a friend's game that he then traded to me. The thing is, I have completely beaten the story line at this point in the game and restarting isnt going to be the easiest thing to do right now.
Also, I don't particularly understand the friend code thing, so i wont be able to get half of the legends back to complete the pokedex. What do you guys recommend??

I also have "Inhouse" a copy of diamond (s/l completed) and platinum (no save file yet) however most of the legends of diamond were also cheated in and given to me by the same friend.
Pokemon ...

My Pokemon Fanfic: http://dft.ba/-6pHm
Old July 7th, 2013 (08:54 AM).

So basically, I want to complete the SS nationaldex without having any cheated in pokemon. however most of my legends were cheated in at some point or another in a friend's game that he then traded to me. The thing is, I have completely beaten the story line at this point in the game and restarting isnt going to be the easiest thing to do right now.
Also, I don't particularly understand the friend code thing, so i wont be able to get half of the legends back to complete the pokedex. What do you guys recommend??
Pokemon ...

My Pokemon Fanfic: http://dft.ba/-6pHm
Old July 7th, 2013 (08:31 PM).
i'm a squid
Crystal Tier

Nature: Quirky
Quote originally posted by Iash654:
If your wi-fi connections are good, I advise checking out the Trade Corner section in this very PokeCommunity forum. Unlike the GTS, which tend to have ridiculous offers like "Level 9 and under (insert Pokemon that cannot legally be that level)" while the Trade Corner is guaranteed to get whatever Pokemon you need.

And Friend Codes are registered when you use the Pal Pad after logging into the Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection. Most members here tend to have them written in their signatures or on their profiles. Click here for more information on Friend Codes.

battle server | tumblr | twitter | lovely pair
adoption center mentor | fairy club | #teamtrivia

Old July 19th, 2013 (01:21 PM).
Scald Pokémon

Nature: Mild
Here's a quick question out of curiosity. What HMs are absolutely required to beat each game from Generations 1 to 4? I know that Cut was needed to beat B/W, and Surf for B2W2, but I can't remember the others.
Old July 19th, 2013 (01:46 PM).
so much fail...

Quote originally posted by Boilurn:
Here's a quick question out of curiosity. What HMs are absolutely required to beat each game from Generations 1 to 4? I know that Cut was needed to beat B/W, and Surf for B2W2, but I can't remember the others.
Gen 1 - Surf, Strength, Cut
Gen 2 - Surf, Strength, Cut, Waterfall, Whirlpool (dragon's den)
Gen 3 - Surf, Strength, Waterfall, Dive, Rock Smash
Gen 4 - Surf, Strength, Rock Smash, Rock Climb, Waterfall

Old July 21st, 2013 (05:52 PM).

At what number of ev's are you forbidden from using a vitamin? is your last chance at 90, or can you use them up until 99?
Old July 21st, 2013 (06:03 PM).
Nyeh?
Gold Tier

Nature: Hasty
Send a message via Yahoo to PlatinumDude Send a message via Skype™ to PlatinumDude
You can't use vitamins on a certain stat anymore if that stat has 100 or more EVs. If your Pokemon has 100 or more EVs in Attack for instance, you can't use any more Proteins on it.

Old July 21st, 2013 (06:04 PM).

ok so you're good even at 99? that was my intended question
Old July 21st, 2013 (08:53 PM).
so much fail...

Quote originally posted by Fawster:
ok so you're good even at 99? that was my intended question
Yes, but that would be a waste, money-wise.

Vitamins only push the stat to 100, no more, no less.

Old July 22nd, 2013 (02:37 AM).

A little question : Eating items like protein use 10 Evs and only raise 1 stat , but beat pokemon and get 4 Evs will have 1 stat .

So eat boosters are waste of Evs right ?

Happiness is useless and those boosters are so expensive .

And I tried it , level up A pokemon with rare candy gets 3 atk

Then I reset , feeding A pokemon 1 protein , then I use rare candy to level it up , it gets 2 atk ONLY !?

Booster sucks or what ? I wan perfect stats EVER ! ( Rayquaza > 456 sp.atk is my highest record without a suck boosters )
Old July 22nd, 2013 (05:17 AM). Edited July 22nd, 2013 by molivious.
so much fail...

Quote originally posted by GOGBLITZ:
A little question : Eating items like protein use 10 Evs and only raise 1 stat , but beat pokemon and get 4 Evs will have 1 stat .
Nope, eat 1 Protein get 10 EVs for attack. Eat 10 Proteins, get 100 EVs for attack. There's a limit to using vitamins though. You will know this once you read an article or two about EV boosts.
Quote:
And I tried it , level up A pokemon with rare candy gets 3 atk

Then I reset , feeding A pokemon 1 protein , then I use rare candy to level it up , it gets 2 atk ONLY !?
I don't really know what happened in the situation above. Especially when there is little being said. But anyway, chill. You don't get to see the effects in a flick of a finger.

1) the "4EV = 1 stat" rule only applies IF your pokemon is Lv100. So basically, EV boosts "scale with your level".
Now, let's say you want a badass Rattata on your team. Even if you fed it some proteins and EV-trained it all the way, you will never get a Lv10 or 20 rattata that has 100 attack.

2) [here's a link] if you wanna do the math. I'd suggest you read the whole article about EV training as well. It will rid you of these misconceptions.
Quote:
Booster sucks or what ? I wan perfect stats EVER ! ( Rayquaza > 456 sp.atk is my highest record without a suck boosters )
You simply just misunderstood EVs and EV training. In fact, your Rayquaza is actually already "boosted" with that number. Every time you defeat a pokemon, you're already EV-training.

Again, I'd highly suggest reading the whole article in the link I've given above. It will give you a deeper explanation for everything I've mentioned here.

Old July 22nd, 2013 (05:29 PM).

I finally ordered today 3DS XL , after some years I didn't touched Pokemon games (since 2005) I can finally play again now, the problem is, I saw that there is A tons of Unique Pokemons, that only obtainable through events, but most of them if not all of them already over, my question is, it's "Legit" to use Action Replay Just for the Events and Events Pokemons that i Missed?

I won't get ban from the online by using AR for EVENTS?
Old July 22nd, 2013 (05:49 PM).
get inked
Super Moderator
CS

Nature: Timid
I don't know if they'll be allowed online, but you're honestly better off checking trade shops here on PC for the event Pokemon you missed. Hopefully some nice people will trade them to you, and since PC's Trade Corner doesn't allow hacks (ie. Pokemon from action replay), then you're pretty much guaranteed a legit Pokemon.

happily received
Old July 22nd, 2013 (05:54 PM).

I can get banned for using Action Replay only to get access to Events and Event Pokemons?
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links