Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Gaming > Pokémon Gaming Central
Reload this Page General Questions & Answers Thread

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Pokémon Gaming Central For topics that aren't necessarily restricted to one game, Pokémon Gaming Central ranges from comparing and contrasting the differences in the gaming generations to discussing the gaming franchise as a whole.

View Poll Results: Too much Mega Evolutions will impact the metagame negatively.
Yes 12 33.33%
No 12 33.33%
Yes, but it's not a real cause for concern. 12 33.33%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Old October 24th, 2013 (05:59 PM).

I'd interested in getting my Pokémon better trained and also breeding, and I've heard stuff about EV's or IV's related to this. Can someone explain to me what they are what they do and how I can train my Pokémon to get better EV/IV?
Old October 24th, 2013 (08:59 PM).
& having to receive it
Battle Server
CS

EVs stand for "effort values." They give boost to your Pokémon's stats, helping them become stronger. The only way to gain EVs is by battling against other Pokémon. If you level-up yourself with the help of Rare Candies or other some other method, then you won't be able to receive any effort value at all. d: There are six different kind of effort values, one for each stat—HP, Attack, Defense, Speed, Special Attack, and Special Defense. If you want to gain a specific set of EVs, then you'll be required to beat a certain type of Pokémon. For example, if you want to gain HP EVs, then you'd have to defeat a Pokémon high in health, such as either Chansey or Blissey. And if you want to get your hands on some Speed EVs, then you would have to take down a Pokémon that's quick, like Aerodactyl. :)

IVs are "individual values." Personally, I don't know much things about them, but the only things I do know is that they help determine your Pokémon's shininess, gender, base stats, and type of Hidden Power.
Old October 26th, 2013 (10:54 PM).
no ordinary buizel

Nature: Timid
Quote originally posted by Foxing Buizel:
(Emerald <3)
I heard that the more you run away from wild Pokèmon, the less likely you are you to encounter shinys. Is what I heard correct? Also is it considered breaching copyrights if I was to publicly post a save file on this forum?
I've never heard anything like this. I don't believe there's any way to reduce chances of encountering shinies. It's always 1/8,192 at least.

I'm not sure about the second question. I think it used to be okay if you did in the past (there was this thing called play, power, pass), though.

while keeping perfect time
you’ll bag up these hearts of mine
with your rhythmic shaking motion
let’s mix up more of our love potion

Water Safari: Octillery, Gyarados, Poliwhirl
Searching for Minccino, Gastrodon, Liepard, and Braixen safaris
Old October 27th, 2013 (11:33 AM).

Hello people.

I just registered for the sole purpose of asking for your advice. Back in the day I played the very first pokemon games -- Yellow,Red,Blue,Etc. I LOVED Silver/Crystal/Gold. Those were my favorites. I loved the new Pokemon.

Then Ruby and the rest came out, and I stopped playing. Wayyyy too many new Pokemon to keep up with, some of the Pokemon designs were just outright lousy and ridiculous -- and I just grew out of it. Nostalgia recently kicked in, and I started playing Soul Silver. Had a blast. Still, game revolves around those first 250-300 first pokemon or so. I want to play one of the newer ones -- new story, new Pokemon, new everything. Gotta get rid of that oldschool attachment.

So this question goes to those with similar background/context. Which one would you guys recommend? I.E., which is the best (in general opinion) to get back into it?
Old October 29th, 2013 (08:04 AM). Edited October 29th, 2013 by molivious.
so much fail...

Nature: Modest
Quote originally posted by B1LL:
So this question goes to those with similar background/context. Which one would you guys recommend? I.E., which is the best (in general opinion) to get back into it?
Preferrably, the most recent one (X/Y). The benefits you have are as follows:
1) You're up to date with the current generation...
2) Which means you can trade, battle, and do your thing with everyone else in the world.
3) You will also be able to catch tons of pokemon in-game -- even those you probably never knew existed. Of course, that includes the newest pokemon.
4) The current-gen threads are the most active as well; so if you have any troubles understanding one thing or another, many people will be available to help you at a snap of a finger. Although i think it doesn't really matter since they're all still pretty active.
5) All Pokemon games are quite the same. The only difference is the story (and some other features like the World Tournament in Gen V), and you can always get the older ones later on.

The only cons for getting the latest-gen game is that you need both a 3DS and money to buy the game at full price (since buying older games cost less) and if that's a problem for you, you should probably go for Gen V (B/W & B2/W2) since the post-game is better than previous gens imo.

Don't worry about difficulty, either. It has been asked many times, but really, there is no main-series Pokemon game that isn't newbie-friendly. Sure you have to pick up some terms, names and whatnot here and there, but that doesn't really make the game any harder to play. Rest assured, eventually, as you play the game, you will catch on.

Squish, squish, squish. Goes the bug under your foot.
Squish, squish, squish. I'm telling you not to look.
Old October 30th, 2013 (09:28 AM).
Pokémon Breeder

Nature: Quirky
QUESTION

If I leveled up a shiny Nincada to the point where it evolves (lvl 20?) would the Ninjask and Shedinja both be shiny as well, or would just the Ninjask be shiny?

~---------------------------------------------------------------------------~
3DS Friend Code: 4399-0158-9260
(Note: Please PM me if you add me so I know it's a PC member and not a random)
Friend Safari: Ghost Type: Phantump, Lampent, and Golurk
Old October 31st, 2013 (06:29 AM). Edited October 31st, 2013 by molivious.
so much fail...

Quote originally posted by Pilkie:
QUESTION

If I leveled up a shiny Nincada to the point where it evolves (lvl 20?) would the Ninjask and Shedinja both be shiny as well, or would just the Ninjask be shiny?
I'm not one who has experienced it personally, but i'm pretty sure both would be shiny. I mean Shedinja counts as Nincada's evolution and it inherits the Nature, and all IVs Nincada originally had -- so that should definitely include the shiny factor. It's basically like a "DNA" copy.

Old October 31st, 2013 (07:05 AM).
Goin' Bananas
Super Moderator
CS

They should both be. Otherwise, idk how anyone would ever get a shiny Shedinja. Tempted to RNG a shiny Nincada just to try this now.

hobbies include playin' terits and huggin' diddy kong
Old October 31st, 2013 (02:46 PM).
You seem rather drunk
Gold Tier

Nature: Jolly
Quote originally posted by Pilkie:
QUESTION

Yeah, the Shedinja would be shiny, too. I've done this evolution twice before and both times I received a shiny Shedinja. But yeah, like Syd said (huehue), how else would you get a shiny Shedinja?
Old November 2nd, 2013 (02:40 PM).

Whats the logic behind a Pokemon learning a certain move?

For example, i know Gardevoir can learn multiple types of moves because she looks and acts like a spellcaster.

But what i dont get is why Roselia/Roserade can learn Shadow Ball, i dont see any "logic" behind it like i do with Gardevoir for example.

http://www.youtube.com/user/CounterstrikerGS
Old November 2nd, 2013 (03:03 PM).
Nyeh?
Gold Tier

Nature: Hasty
Send a message via Yahoo to PlatinumDude Send a message via Skype™ to PlatinumDude
Quote originally posted by Nhadaly:
Whats the logic behind a Pokemon learning a certain move?

For example, i know Gardevoir can learn multiple types of moves because she looks and acts like a spellcaster.

But what i dont get is why Roselia/Roserade can learn Shadow Ball, i dont see any "logic" behind it like i do with Gardevoir for example.
Some Pokemon learn moves based on their origins. Greninja, going along with its ninja motif, is able to learn moves such as Smokescreen, Mat Block, Night Slash, Shadow Sneak, Faint Attack, Water Shuriken, Substitute and Double Team by level-up. Before you ask why male Gogoat can learn Milk Drink, this is because male goats can lactate milk in real life.

For other Pokemon, we don't know for certain, like why Fennekin can learn Power-Up Punch despite being an obvious quadruped, Wooper and Gastly being able to use Ice Punch despite lacking arms or Zangoose unable to learn Cut despite obviously having claws to cut with.

Old November 3rd, 2013 (11:12 AM).

I know some people think I'm crazy for even asking. But I don't mean I expect to take people from Smogon on without first spending hours on breeding. But, for online battles and maybe ocassional battling of other members, how important is it if I spend a long time on EV's on movesets?

Pokémon Pearl (Ultimate Leader Challenge - Jasmine)
2/8 Badges
Old November 3rd, 2013 (12:46 PM).
so much fail...

To keep it simple, it's a direct multiplier (1.1x) for a stat. So the bigger number you have on a stat, the higher bonus you receive from the beneficial nature. Sure, you have a decrease (0.9x) on another stat, but usually, you'll aim for a Nature that decreases a stat that is insignificant.

The importance is just as nearly as valuable as IVs, if not more. It may seem like a small increase, but it does build up into a noticeable difference once EVs and IVs are already put into place. Plus, it's pretty easy to get -- which is more of the reason why people would encourage you to make that extra effort.

Old November 3rd, 2013 (12:59 PM).

I wanted to start Pokémon breeding soon but I have no idea what to do!

How can I get the best IV's? Can the offspring have good IV's even if the parent doesn't? What's the best way to get a shiny from breeding?

If anyone has any other helpful tips or information I should know before I start breeding pokemon, please let me know. Thanks!
• Pokémon in my Safari •

Old November 3rd, 2013 (01:24 PM).

Nature: Calm
I hope I'm posting this in the right place. If not tell me when i should post this question.

Alright, my question is can you trade the Shiny Charm from B2/W2 to X/Y?

Shinys i have: Pyroar♀ Agislash♀ Braixen♀

Old November 3rd, 2013 (01:32 PM).
Goin' Bananas
Super Moderator
CS

Quote:
Alright, my question is can you trade the Shiny Charm from B2/W2 to X/Y?
Shiny Charm is a Key Item, so it can only be in B2W2, I'm afraid.

hobbies include playin' terits and huggin' diddy kong
Old November 3rd, 2013 (01:38 PM).
so much fail...

Quote originally posted by Oscairy:
Can the offspring have good IV's even if the parent doesn't?
Yes, in fact, people always start with the crappiest parents.

Quote:
What's the best way to get a shiny from breeding?
trade a pokemon (preferrably Ditto, so you don't ask for another pokemon every time) from other Regions. There's a significantly higher chance (altho still rather small) to get a shiny when you breed a pokemon of your region with one from another.

edit: oh right, that Shiny Charm from Gen V is priceless.

Now, for IV breeding, X/Y have the easiest way around - thanks to Destiny Knot. It's also worthy to note that pokemon from Friend Safari have at least 2 perfect IVs. That said, you may want to find a Friend Safari with Ditto since they are compatible with any pokemon. With perfect-IV Dittos, you can pass down his IVs to any pokemon (well, most) rather easily. It's a repetitive process; and in the end, it all depends on luck.

I can't explain everything without sounding confusing; and many others have created much better breeding guides (such as this one) which are easy to understand and straight to the point. But if there's anything you don't understand from the guides out there, feel free to ask them here.

Old November 3rd, 2013 (02:25 PM).

Nature: Bold
I would say go for ideal or second best nature, even if just on Wifi battles. EV training isn't hard either, it usually doesn't take more than a few hours. IV breeding, however, will take awhile especially when you're seeking that one good nature. So.. If you don't want to put the work into it, it's not needed for Wifi battling. It would just give you a nice boost.
Old November 3rd, 2013 (07:06 PM).

I am about to start pokemon breeding, and I have decided to start with breeding Fennekin. At what level should I put the Delphox into the day care, or does it not matter?
• Pokémon in my Safari •

Old November 3rd, 2013 (07:46 PM).
so much fail...

Quote originally posted by Oscairy:
I am about to start pokemon breeding, and I have decided to start with breeding Fennekin. At what level should I put the Delphox into the day care, or does it not matter?
It doesn't matter, just put it in there and wait for an egg. :D

Old November 14th, 2013 (07:24 AM).
artist

hi guys
i wanted to know your opinion in witch move set i shold use in my leafeon.
'cus e realy love him and i wanted to use it in my battles.
Old November 14th, 2013 (07:42 AM).
daяk εco frεak

Well you gotta tell us what game this is for. lol Though I think you'd be better suited using Battle Center. Pretty sure there's a thread in there for help with a single Pokemon's moveset, so this would fit in better there.

チュリネ
The leaves on its head grow right back even if they fall out.
These bitter leaves refresh those who eat them. Unless you're a rude ho.
Old November 14th, 2013 (07:47 AM).
Nyeh?
Gold Tier

Nature: Hasty
Send a message via Yahoo to PlatinumDude Send a message via Skype™ to PlatinumDude
Quote originally posted by MocasFocas:
hi guys
i wanted to know your opinion in witch move set i shold use in my leafeon.
'cus e realy love him and i wanted to use it in my battles.
Could've gone to the Battle Center and posted in the Simple Questions thread, tbh.

Anyway:
-Swords Dance
-Leaf Blade
-Substitute
-Baton Pass
EVs: 136 HP/120 Atk/252 Spe
Item: Leftovers
Ability: Chlorophyll

or
-Swords Dance
-Leaf Blade
-Return/Double-Edge
-Heal Bell/Baton Pass
EVs: 160 HP/124 Atk/224 Spe

or
-Wish
-Protect
-Leaf Blade
-Heal Bell/Yawn
Nature: Impish
EVs: 252 HP/252 Def/4 SDef

Old November 16th, 2013 (10:01 AM).

Im not certain how to explain my problem, but a while ago, I just decided to play Ruby - and then I got kinda back into Pokemon again, and decided to try out X/Y. In Ruby, I caught a Ralts in lvl 4 or so which turned out as my rampaging Pokemon throughout the game. So I decided to get a Ralts again in my X game, as they were catchable very early. I recall I should level my Pokemon by myself to make them as strong as possible, and I think the one I got was around 8-10ish. However, now I have a team of 5 Pokemon, and my Ralts (now evolved into Kirlia or something) is my weakest Pokemon. This is kinda odd, as my previous in Ruby was such a beast. I didnt pay too much attention to the starter stats, I just made sure it did not have a decreasing SP Attack Nature. Her SP Attack now are about 30 or something, while on my starter Pokemon (that fire fox thing) is like 60 ish (I can get the right numbers once I get back on my 3DS). Anyway, she is so extremely weak. When I level her, she also just gets 1, max 2 in SP Attack, while my others gets 2-3 in their Attack or SP Attack. How come?

I have had this trouble before too, I remember using Scizor one time, and in my next game, he was a catastrophe.
Old November 16th, 2013 (10:47 AM).
i want the puppy

Nature: Relaxed
She probably just has lousy IVs. Your Ralts in Ruby, alternatively, may have had a Special Attack boosting nature and fantastic IVs. Each Pokemon's stats are unique to the individual through the EV/IV/Nature system, so sometimes that kind of thing happens. Have you tried Super Training for Special Attack?

Sponsored Links