Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Gaming > Pokémon Gaming Central

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Pokémon Gaming Central For topics that aren't necessarily restricted to one game, Pokémon Gaming Central ranges from comparing and contrasting the differences in the gaming generations to discussing the gaming franchise as a whole.

View Poll Results: Too much Mega Evolutions will impact the metagame negatively.
Yes 12 33.33%
No 12 33.33%
Yes, but it's not a real cause for concern. 12 33.33%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old November 16th, 2013 (11:29 AM).
mf91

Does IVs really matter THAT much? IVs are just were the "starter stats" are placed, right? Its not possible she have LOWER than others (in total)? I dont really get that neither, cause her defense feels weaker too. And I bet if I compare her to my starter Pokemon, which also is second-evolved and caught at about the same level, her stats are way lower. I dont know what to expect? Should I aim to have about the same SP Attack as my FireFox?

In my other game, my Gardevoir had a nature to increase Speed. I remember reading about natures a bit after, but I felt she was doing great anyway, even though I would prefer SP A +. The other thing is, I feel like her defense is just way lower than before too. Its really odd, this whole thing.

Also, whats Super Training? I remember reading about certain Pokemon that gives you the desired +stat when you defeat them. Is this it? And if it is, is it the pokemon you defeat when you level up that matters, or is it the whole level?
Old November 16th, 2013 (12:06 PM).
Grif of Hearts
Que sera sera~

Nature: Naive
Quote originally posted by mf91:
Also, whats Super Training? I remember reading about certain Pokemon that gives you the desired +stat when you defeat them. Is this it? And if it is, is it the pokemon you defeat when you level up that matters, or is it the whole level?
You're thinking of EVs. Effort Values. You gain EVs when defeating certain Pokémon and there is a different type of EV for each stat. The more EVs in a stat you gain the higher that stat will go.

Super Training is closely linked however. It's activated through one of the panels on the 3DS touch screen. Super Training is a minigame of sorts which rewards you with EVs in your chosen stat. If you put EVs into your chosen stat, likely Speed and Sp.Attack considering the usual Gardevoir build, it should give them that extra stopping power that you're looking for.
Old November 16th, 2013 (12:41 PM). Edited November 16th, 2013 by mf91.
mf91

Ow, okay.. Didnt know about that super training stuff, Ill check it out. Maybe she will get stronger as a Gardevoir. I guess Kirlia in general gets lower stats than my others.

Thanks for replies

EDIT: Upon evolving to Gardevoir, she increased SP Attack from 51 to 91... I guess its just Kirlia thats low in stats :D
Old November 16th, 2013 (02:02 PM).
isthatyoudan
doesn't work well with others...

Nature: Quirky
Help! I am very bad at managing my team in Pokémon games. I spend all of my time battling with my starter Pokémon because he is the strongest, but then when my starter faints, everyone else is too weak to do anything about the enemy! I have tried using EXP share, but it still doesn't help as much as I need it to to succeed in the game.

I'm Reading...
Just finished a volume of Soul Eater, volume 14. At this point, it has become very different compared to the anime, and I kind of like it. Some of the characters have gotten a lot more fleshed out (specifically the meister team of Ox, Kilik, and Kim), and things are happening quite differently. An exciting read.

I'm Playing...
The iPod music game, Cytus. While I may not know very many of the songs, I really like its music, and the gameplay is easy to pick up yet takes quite a while to master. A friend has seen me play it and he says I make it look easy, but I am still having a fun and challenging time. Definitely worth the price.
Old November 16th, 2013 (02:57 PM).
molivious
so much fail...

Nature: Modest
Quote originally posted by isthatyoudan:
Help! I am very bad at managing my team in Pokémon games. I spend all of my time battling with my starter Pokémon because he is the strongest, but then when my starter faints, everyone else is too weak to do anything about the enemy! I have tried using EXP share, but it still doesn't help as much as I need it to to succeed in the game.
why not try battling with your favorites once in a while? or how about capturing the strongest pokemon in the wild and start from there? buying super potions doesn't hurt much, too, if you're still at the beginning of the game..

it may also help if you come up with a team and give each member a role (e.g this guy will take care of dragons, this one will take on rock-types -- regardless of it's typing). That way, you can probably manage your exp distribution more easily.

Squish, squish, squish. Goes the bug under your foot.
Squish, squish, squish. I'm telling you not to look.
Old November 16th, 2013 (06:38 PM).
Beyond Infinity
Couldn't Outfox a Donkey

Nature: Jolly
Yeah, as said, EVs and IVs.

IVs affect the core stats heavily, while EVs allow you to boost the stats once the IVs have set out how high they can actually go.

A Pokemon with awful IVs can be EV trained to become... less awful. Meanwhile, an amazing IV Pokemon which is not EV trained never reaches its full potential.

IVs say how high you can jump, and give you the first jump. EVs give you the double jump to be able to make it.
Old November 16th, 2013 (06:44 PM).
Jak
daяk εco frεak

Box your starter and go play in the grass. If your starter is boxed, you can't rely on it like you normally would and you'll have to rely on the other Pokemon in your party. Play around there, see which Pokemon you enjoy using, and what you like, you should train to catch up in level with your starter and move on from there.

チュリネ
The leaves on its head grow right back even if they fall out.
These bitter leaves refresh those who eat them. Unless you're a rude ho.
Old November 18th, 2013 (06:10 AM).
xangria

Growing up, my parents refused to get a game system that couldn't be shared between my brother and I. So, I never got to play Pokemon, despite really wanting to. Now that I have a 3DS, I decided to buy Pokemon X. Do you guys have any tips for a first time player? Thanks
Old November 18th, 2013 (06:15 AM).
Beyond Infinity
Couldn't Outfox a Donkey

If someone offers an Agumon, it's a scam...

But seriously, it depends on what you want to do/what you need help with. I'm always happy to help if you want to drop me a PM, then there's the question and answer thread for normal questions:
http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=309881
Old November 18th, 2013 (07:09 AM).
LoudSilence
more like uncommon sense

First off, welcome to the forums. I hope you have a great time!

I'd love to help you with anything specific, but like Beyond said above, you should check out the Q&A thread.

My only "advice" would be to have a blast and come share your stories with us!
Old November 18th, 2013 (09:01 AM).
Sabrewulf238

Visit sites like Serebii and Bulbapedia. They're a great resource for info and the game mechanics involved in pokemon. Take in a bit at a time so you don't get overwhelmed.
Old November 18th, 2013 (11:55 AM).
KittenKoder
I Am No One Else

Nature: Calm
Welcome to the club! Nice to see new fans finally get a chance to play. First, play at least through 4 gyms, that would be my recommendation, a lot of the game's concepts can be discovered that way pretty easily and then you can decide what portions of the game you want to focus on.

Some people are breeders, others are battlers, some are collectors. After you get a feel for the game, you'll figure out which you are, then do as Sabrewulf says, check the sites for information that can help you.

Again, welcome to the wonderful world of Pokemon.

Join me on IRC, synirc.net #PokemonTactics, for friendly discussions on tactics and strategies.
Old November 18th, 2013 (12:45 PM).
scotty89

Nature: Calm
Welcome to the forums. If you need any help with breeding, training or just anything in general drop me a private message and I'll try to help you out as best I can .

My friend code: 3196 3603 7822

My safari type is Dark and contains:
Absol
Pawniard
Crawdaunt

If you add me, please send me a message so I can add you back
Old November 18th, 2013 (01:38 PM).
Redingard
The Rider Breeds Pokemon

Nature: Relaxed
Don't make a habit of the GTS. Start a trading empire of Haunters on it, though. People are suckers for Haunters.

http://www.pokecommunity.com/signaturepics/sigpic434003_2.gif
Old November 18th, 2013 (02:33 PM).
HD PLATINUMx

Quote originally posted by xangria:
Growing up, my parents refused to get a game system that couldn't be shared between my brother and I. So, I never got to play Pokemon, despite really wanting to. Now that I have a 3DS, I decided to buy Pokemon X. Do you guys have any tips for a first time player? Thanks
you poor guy... . anyways if you want to get good and win battles just learn about EVs and IVs and learn how to setup a good team like in one of my teams i have some moderate speed pokemon with moderate defense but great attack so i have a pokemon with tailwind so they can attack first

friend safari:normal
teddiursa and minnccino
Old November 19th, 2013 (12:53 PM).
Guy
just a guy

Send a message via Skype™ to Guy
Generally speaking, it's your first Pokémon game, so I say just enjoy it and have fun. Make sure and talk to all of the NPC's (non-playable characters), read the signs, and make use of your key items (i.e. the Dowsing Machine). Rule of thumb: Explore everything and everywhere.

Since there's a lot of things to cover since the beginning of Pokémon to now, if you ever need help don't be afraid to do a little research online to help you along the way. When I got my first Pokémon game, online guides were like a gift from above. Now it's even easier with Youtube!
Old November 19th, 2013 (04:51 PM).
molivious
so much fail...

1. Type advantages are your best friends. Sending out that water pokemon against a fire-type might just do the trick
2. Socialize with (in-game) people or NPCs. A lot of them give valuable items and information, you don't want to miss that, do you?
3. Don't forget to eat, poop, and sleep. You may be playing too much Pokemon already.

Cheers!

Old November 19th, 2013 (05:04 PM). Edited November 20th, 2013 by Shizzable.
Shizzable
The Derpiest One Of All

Here's some things a new player should always do/know:

-Stat boosting and support moves are useful!
-Know if Pokemon are specially or physically based. Play to their strengths.
-Have good type synergy. Get a variety of Pokemon and attacks.
-Talk to people and explore. You can find cool items and other stuff.

Those are just a few minor tips for being good at battling. Don't worry too much, though, any good Pokemon player should be able to relax and play through their game casually. Make sure to do whatever you want in your playthrough to have fun :D
Old November 19th, 2013 (05:13 PM).
molivious
so much fail...

Quote originally posted by Shizzable:
-Stat boosting and support moves are useful!
-Know if Pokemon are specially or physically based. Play to their strengths.
-Have good type synergy. Get a variety of Pokemon and attacks.
-Talk to people and explore. You can find cool items and other stuff.
lol, this! I was trying so hard to recall what i was missing while i was writing. glad someone mentioned it.

Old November 20th, 2013 (04:37 AM). Edited November 25th, 2013 by Comet7.
Comet7
Star of the show

Nature: Relaxed
If I breed two Pikachu that know volt tackle without the use of a light ball, will the pichu know volt tackle? SOLVED
Old November 28th, 2013 (08:34 AM).
Zettiee

Hey!
I'm a returning player and after beating Black 2 today on my DS I ordered a 3DS XL
(with pokemon Y)

The last time I played a pokemon game was back when silver (gen 2) came out.

Should I go replay all the pokemon games?

What game should I start with?

Would watching the anime help me with learning the pokemon names/moves help?

Any help is greatly appreciated :D
Old November 28th, 2013 (08:41 AM).
Powerstars

Hey, nice to meet ya!

Watching the anime isn't necessary. Just jump right into Y, and learning attacks should be easy.

Earlier games aren't necessary, but FireRed/LeafGreen and HeartGold/SoulSilver might be a bit of a nostalgia overload!

Welcome, and enjoy yourself.

Pokémon Pearl (Ultimate Leader Challenge - Jasmine)
2/8 Badges
Old November 28th, 2013 (08:48 AM).
Zoro
hi
Community Supporter

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Skype™ to Zoro
Not sure if this is the right section for this, but welcome back.

It's awesome that you’ve ordered Y. In Y there actually a lot of pokemon from all of the regions that we've seen so far. I would suggest playing Pokemon Diamond for fun; there is not really much you have to do to get prepared for Y imo. Maybe beat Black because the story in Black relates to Black 2 a little. A lot of the features in Y are different than what we’ve seen in any predecessor game.

Yeah, I'd try to play as many Pokemon games as you can. The Pokemon franchise is a great and unique franchise to play. If you get tired of Pokemon (how is that possible!?), some games that are like it are Dragon Quest, Mario and Luigi: Dream Team (3DS), Final Fantasy, Blue Dragon and Mario and Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story. Also, there are side Pokemon games that are fun to play. My two favorite were Pokemon Colosseum and Pokemon XD: Gale of Darkness on the Nintendo Gamecube. They were extremely fun to play, and have players look at the Pokemon world differently. Those two are somewhat hard to find, but I'm sue you could find them off of Amazon. I would also suggest the Pokemon Ranger games and the Pokemon Mystery Dungeon games that are popular on the Nintendo DS.

If you really want to start over, why not start at the beginning? I would start in the Kanto region by playing Red/Blue or Firered/Leafgreen, then work your way up by generation through the new regions. Then I would play Mystery Dungeon or Pokemon Rangers, or the previous other games that I suggested.

Watching anime may help. If you do, for learning purposes make sure that you watch the dubbed Pokemon anime because the Japanese version gives most pokemon different names. The best way to learn pokemon names is simply playing through the games and experiencing the pokemon by catching them or encountering them. I would say the second best way to learn pokemon names is by competitive battling. You can learn to form a team via Pokemon Showdown and Pokemon Online (if you need help with these contact me), and just by creating teams this will help you become familiarized with the pokemon names. One more way that is kind of silly is by listening to the Pokemon rap songs. They can be ridiculous but they’re catchy and can really help.

Best of luck with your adventure, and if you need help contact me via pm or vm and I'll happily help you out. :]
Old November 28th, 2013 (08:50 AM).
Zettiee

Thanks for the fast reply!
EDIT: Great help guys! Going to borrow my cousins collection tomorrow and see how far I can get before my 3ds comes :D
Again guys thanks!

PS: I didn't see a more fitting board to post this on, sorry
Old November 28th, 2013 (09:10 AM).
Someday
Behold, my internet "persona"!

If you want to play Gen 3 (I'm assuming that Gen 3 isn't the reason you stopped playing lol) go for Emerald. If you want to play Gen 4, go with Platinum. Also, since you're familiar with Gen 2 (Pokemon Silver) I recommend you play SoulSilver, the remake of it.

"Just trying to find a way out to a city so big
That it is bound to keep your secret."
TWIABP-Heartbeat In The Brain
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links