The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Gaming > Pokémon Gaming Central

Notices

Pokémon Gaming Central For topics that aren't necessarily restricted to one game, Pokémon Gaming Central ranges from comparing and contrasting the differences in the gaming generations to discussing the gaming franchise as a whole.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old February 25th, 2013, 07:36 PM
tabor62

Nature: Timid
There are a few ways to increase your chances of finding shiny Pokemon. In Gen IV, you can use the PokeRadar to chain Pokemon. Chain up to 40 of the same Pokemon without it breaking and you'll have a 1/200 (or 0.5%) chance to find a sparkling patch where a shiny Pokemon will be found.

In both Gen IV & V, you can use the Masuda Method to increase your chances to 1/1639 (0.06%) in Gen IV and 1/1366 (0.07%) in Gen V. In order to use the Masuda Method, you must breed a Pokemon from your game and a Pokemon from a different country together (Japanese Pokemon are the easiest to figure out of course).

In Black 2 and White 2 however, you can receive the item "Shiny Charm" if you complete the National Pokedex. This increases the chance of encountering or hatching a shiny Pokemon from 1/8192 (0.01%) to 1/2,731 (0.03%). If used in conjunction with the Masuda Method, it will be increased even further to 1/1024 (0.09%).

Though the easiest way to find a shiny is to RNG one. Doing it correctly will yield a shiny Pokemon every time. However it can be quite complex and isn't for everyone (and no, it isn't cheating). Trade Corner has a guide for basic RNGing and can be found here.

I hope this wasn't too confusing.

Last edited by tabor62; March 16th, 2013 at 05:21 PM.
Old February 28th, 2013, 07:01 PM
rebelxgirl

I have a question about breeding/hatching eggs. I've only done it once via the day care as a try it & see what happens thing with a couple deerlings. Is there another way to do it? I'm assuming the have to be 2 of the same pokemon just male & female? Anything else I should know?
Thank you!

School & stuff is eating away at my life. PM me if you're interested in trading.

I have a Rock type Friend Safari with Boldore, Corsola, & Barbacle. PM me to trade FCs.

Working on my Vivillon collection. Need: Sandstorm, Monsoon, & Savanna
Offering: High Plains (3), Polar (1), Continental (1), Marine (1), & (3) Elegant & unlimited [native] Modern, + all the starters. I have Pokerus if you need it.

I sincerely apologize to anyone I had a trade or something set up with. I got really bad sick in the middle of midterms so when I got better I had to bust butt for school. Please forgive me.
Old February 28th, 2013, 07:21 PM
PlatinumDude
Nyeh?

Nature: Hasty
Send a message via Yahoo to PlatinumDude Send a message via Skype™ to PlatinumDude
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelxgirl View Post
I have a question about breeding/hatching eggs. I've only done it once via the day care as a try it & see what happens thing with a couple deerlings. Is there another way to do it? I'm assuming the have to be 2 of the same pokemon just male & female? Anything else I should know?
Thank you!
Both parents (1 male, 1 female) must also be in the same "Egg group" to produce an egg. Here's a list on Egg groups. In your case, Deerling is in the Field egg group, so it can breed with any Pokémon in that group.

Also, if both Pokémon have different Trainer IDs, then the odds of finding an egg are greater.

Old February 28th, 2013, 07:24 PM
vaporeon7
My life would suck without you

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Skype™ to vaporeon7
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelxgirl View Post
Thank you!
The Pokémon only have to be in the same egg group and opposite genders. The egg will be of the female. You can also use Ditto as any Pokémon.
For more.
Old February 28th, 2013, 07:24 PM
Jak
greatest of heroes

You can also breed Pokemon with Ditto, even genderless things like Beldum and Magnemite. However it can't breed with legendaries, except for Manaphy (you'll get a Phione).

To add to what PlatinumDude said, the species that you want to get needs to be from the line you're breeding. You want Deerling, so if you bred it with something else from the Field Egg Group, the Deerling would need to be the female of the couple. This is how many egg moves are obtained as well. :)

Fouetté | Rygarde | Déesse | Parfum | Pamplemousse
pairs | super mod of challenges | avatar by kaori

george best: ugly white backgrounds
displease jak the fashion queen
alas, no-one listens
Old March 1st, 2013, 11:45 PM
rebelxgirl

It makes more sense now I think. I haven't tried bred anything since I bred those two Deerlings a while back in White/Black. I'll have to look into this egg group thing & experiment.

Just realized in Black 2 you don't get to the day care so you can breed pokemon until after pokemon league. And I'm only on castelia city. Blah. Gives me plenty of time to obtain the pokemon I want to try to breed I suppose. Boo.

School & stuff is eating away at my life. PM me if you're interested in trading.

I have a Rock type Friend Safari with Boldore, Corsola, & Barbacle. PM me to trade FCs.

Working on my Vivillon collection. Need: Sandstorm, Monsoon, & Savanna
Offering: High Plains (3), Polar (1), Continental (1), Marine (1), & (3) Elegant & unlimited [native] Modern, + all the starters. I have Pokerus if you need it.

I sincerely apologize to anyone I had a trade or something set up with. I got really bad sick in the middle of midterms so when I got better I had to bust butt for school. Please forgive me.

Last edited by Went; March 2nd, 2013 at 01:11 AM. Reason: Please do not doublepost
Old March 6th, 2013, 11:38 PM
xSvenx

Nature: Relaxed
I need help with something. I finally went through the whole Pokemon Ranger Shadows of Almia. I did all the missions, captured all Pokemon. Now I downloaded and played missions with Dialga and Palkia...now what? D: Why can't I get all the other missions, four of them. How do I obtain them?
Old March 7th, 2013, 09:09 AM
Jak
greatest of heroes

Ask in the Spin Offs Q&A thread. You'd get better help there.

alas, no-one listens
Old March 7th, 2013, 12:31 PM
xSvenx

Ok I will, thanks. If anyone still knows, tell me pls :D
Old March 10th, 2013, 01:42 PM
PokeCoyote
Unhatched Egg

Hi everyone! I am a long time viewer of the Pokemon anime, but new to the games. I have a question concerning the TMs (technical machines), as I am working on converting Pokemon to the Hero System RPG. On the page for Bulbasaur's First Generation learnset on the Pokemon Wikia, it says that Bulbasuar can only use certain TMs (TMs 3,6,8,9,10,20,21,22,31,32,33,34,44,50) and HM1. So, I assume it does not use the others for a Bulbasaur and that other pokemon are limited as to what they can learn as well? The ones that Bulbasaur can use are normal, grass, poison, and psychic moves... I guess it makes sense that a grass/poison pokemon can't learn fire or steel moves...

Last edited by PokeCoyote; March 10th, 2013 at 01:48 PM. Reason: Missed one of the TMs
Old March 10th, 2013, 01:54 PM
Jak
greatest of heroes

Yes, there are certain TMs that each Pokemon can and cannot learn.

alas, no-one listens
Old March 11th, 2013, 10:02 AM
Thomas Wiencek

Is a Meowth a Pokémon based on a kitten?
Old March 11th, 2013, 12:21 PM
PlatinumDude
Nyeh?

Nature: Hasty
Send a message via Yahoo to PlatinumDude Send a message via Skype™ to PlatinumDude
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Wiencek View Post
Is a Meowth a Pokémon based on a kitten?
Kind of a strange question if you ask me, but anyway: Meowth is based on Satoshi Tajiri's pet cat according to Junichi Masuda. In general terms, it's based on the Maneki Neko, the lucky/beckoning cat of Japanese myth.

Old March 12th, 2013, 07:04 AM
PokeCoyote
Unhatched Egg

I am still working on my Hero System translation, and my current question is this... I am working on the Spearow and Fearow and I am wondering, is there such a thing as a level 1 Fearow? Spearows evolve to Fearows at level 20 if you allow them to, but do mama Fearows give birth to baby Fearows, or are thier babies Spearow and there are no Fearows until the baby Spearows hit level 20? I assume the answer to this will apply to all other pokemon as well.

Thanks in advance!
Old March 12th, 2013, 07:08 AM
Jak
greatest of heroes

This thread is really aimed at questions about the games, not Pokemon themselves. But anyway, Pokemon lay eggs...you can read about breeding here: http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Breeding

alas, no-one listens
Old March 12th, 2013, 07:16 AM
PokeCoyote
Unhatched Egg

Ok, thank you... I will look for an alternate thread for my questions. I asked here because I was interested in how it worked in relation to the games, as opposed to the anime that I am more familiar with.
Old March 20th, 2013, 12:12 PM
Enzio
Unhatched Egg

Hello all! I stumbled onto this forum through a web search, and I'm hoping you lovely people can help me with a serious question I have about Pokemon:

Where do I start?

I have literally never played a Pokemon game before, but I want to get into the world. Which game should I start with? I own or have access to several generations of systems, so no (or very few) limitations there, but I'm a little overwhelmed with where to start. Do the games run in any sort of chronological order, or is it kind of the same game rehashed with new Pokemon and a slightly different story-line each time?

I'm honestly feeling a little overwhelmed with where to dive into the "pool" of the Pokemon universe. Any help or thoughts at all would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Old March 20th, 2013, 12:53 PM
WolfsbaneCharm52

I would say the best place to start would be Generation 3. There isn't really necessary chronological order, but the games tend to cycle between main new region and add-on type games. Gen 3 presents you with a new region that plays much more closely to the current generation (5) than the original games and has the first introduction to real end-game content. I would definitely recommend playing all 5 generations to familiarize yourself with all of the pokemon, though. Really, starting anywhere is going to be fun, though, it's mainly about preference of generations, and gameplay isn't really hard until 3rd gen endgame content and competitive battling, so you should be able to reasonably play through the main campaigns of all the games within a couple of months.
Old March 20th, 2013, 03:09 PM
xSvenx

Like the person above I would say Gen 3, but I am not sure. Depends on you.
Here.

1. If you want to play game with great/moder graphic, start with Gen 3(Emerald) or Gen 4(Platinum)

2. If you are fine old graphic, I suggest Gen 1 (Yellow, Blue, Red) or Gen 2 (Crystal)

However

3. If you want to play Pokemon just for it, catching Pokemon and finishing the game, then go with Gen 3/4.

4. If you, however, want to get that special "feel" about Pokemon, and fully enjoy and learn abut Pokemon, then I strongly advise you to start with Gen 1, then Gen2, 3 4 etc.

If you take up the gen 3 first, you are most likely going to find gen 1 and 2 outdated, slow and boring. Not because it really is, but because new generations are so uch ahead of it.

I am personally going to start whole main game from start, from 1 to...the end. With few pauses during which I will play some spinoff games.

And also. You might want to consider what kind of game you want. Game where you catch Pokemon, or where you just befriend them for mission (Pokemon ranger) or where you are an actual Pokemon (Pokemon Mystery Dungeon series)
It would the best for you to check the list of Pokemon games, and their gameplays.

Anyway, welcome to Pokemon world, world where effing Zubats and Tentacools fun never ends! :D
Old March 20th, 2013, 03:35 PM
Hi Its Nick

I'd say Gen 1 but its all up to you.
Old March 20th, 2013, 04:07 PM
Terabyte

Nature: Jolly
As the above poster said, it really is up to you on how you want to start and where! :D Each generation has a different storyline but the gist of the games are each the same regardless of Generation. From getting your starter, to battling a rival, to battling with a villainous team, to getting gym badges, to taking on the Elite Four/league champion, most (if not, all) generations follow that general pattern.
Old March 21st, 2013, 11:02 AM
Jak
greatest of heroes

I personally think it's always good to start in the order that the games came out, but that's just me. If you choose to do it that way, you might not like it since that would mean starting in gen I and a lot of people don't like those games anymore since they're outclasses in many aspects in the current generation. If you don't mind the "blast from the past" type of feel and you want to start with the original games and a more authentic feel, imo anyway, then start with either Red, Blue, or Yellow.

If you're totally new to the series and want a great beginner type of game, FireRed and LeafGreen is the way to go. They're remakes of the original Red and Green, but they're for the Game Boy Advance, so the graphics are much better, the music has been updated, as well as many other things. The game has lots of mandatory and optional tutorials which is good for new players. A problem with getting GBA games is that a lot of them bought online end up being fake, so that's something to watch out for. If ever you choose to purchase a GBA game of any kind online, feel free to come back to this thread and post pictures of the game that's provided by the seller so that we can possibly help you verify authenticity.

I'm gonna stop for now cause I don't wanna overload you lol. :(

alas, no-one listens
Old March 25th, 2013, 04:27 PM
Pokemonfan01
Unhatched Egg

Hey guys I've been soft resetting for hours a day and still no shiny snorlax just want to know if anybody has the same experience before.
Old March 25th, 2013, 04:48 PM
ShinyUmbreon189
F U C K PC! WAY TOO STRICT!

Send a message via AIM to ShinyUmbreon189
No, it's random dude. It could take 5 minutes it could take 2 weeks. There's no easy way around it unless you use cheats.
Old March 25th, 2013, 05:23 PM
Pokemonfan01
Unhatched Egg

Than I think I just got lucky with my shiny ho oh than. I soft reset for him and I got him in 4 days. It's my 4th day soft resetting for shiny snorlax and still no luck
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links