Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Off-Topic Discussions > The Playground
Reload this Page [ MOTY ] Prettiest Profile Contest 2012

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

The Playground It's time to save yourself from the everyday trials and tribulations of your vigorous post day. Welcome to the Playground, where the only posts are frantic fun and hilarious hijinks.

Closed Thread

Old December 13th, 2012 (12:12 PM).
An awesome usertitle
Crystal Tier

Nature: Impish
Technically I don't own the original in-game sprites and the pine tree stock images, but I assume I should still be all right hahaha.
Well, I've done so many tweaks and changes to both the sprites and the trees anyway, so I guess that means they're sort of designed by me, even still (contest-wise, not in the copyright way of course).

Old December 13th, 2012 (12:23 PM).
→ treasure any encounter
ModeratorCS

Nature: Gentle
Right. The sprites are all right. As long as you thought up the colors, images to use, and such yourself you're all set.
that's what you have taught me,
and that's why I travel
there's only light ahead
Old December 13th, 2012 (06:23 PM).
Evermore

Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via Skype™ to Crux
Well,i'm pretty sure that I won't be placing first,but it seems like fun so count me in! :D

{Never and Forever}

Tees | Coming Soon | Coming Soon
Old December 13th, 2012 (06:45 PM).
Banned

Nature: Sassy
Quote originally posted by BinaryPeaches:
(yes I am double posting. But shh this is important okok)

After realizing that this rule wasn't in the rules before (though it should have bee after the first incident) I've input the following rule:

If you are a Supporter, please make sure any graphics that you use are designed by you as your profile only qualifies if your profile was designed by yourself.

It doesn't matter much for non-supporters since it is just colors, but for supporters this is very important. If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask!
Please remove me from the competition -- TwilightBlade designed my profile.
Old December 13th, 2012 (06:51 PM).
Will you notice?
Gold Tier

Nature: Quiet
Well I just customized my profile a few days ago, so I'm in. My first contest on PokeCommunity
Old December 13th, 2012 (10:32 PM).
Crystal Tier

Nature: Relaxed
Count me out as well, same reason like Mac & I'm not really used with profile backgrounds & such yet, I'll practice & enter another PPC in the future, that's a promise :c
Old December 15th, 2012 (06:13 AM).
menacing
Crystal Tier

Nature: Lonely
Oi, you guys can always try! :c This disappoints me.
Old December 16th, 2012 (09:55 PM).
→ treasure any encounter
ModeratorCS

WELP. Sign-ups are now closed and voting time has begun! Make sure to follow the set-up and rules when you guys vote and good luck to all of you!
and that's why I travel
there's only light ahead
Old December 17th, 2012 (01:39 AM).
menacing
Crystal Tier

Just dropping this here, then. For those with super low resolutions - https://www.dropbox.com/s/ko358rb670cex3i/PF.png

Doubt there are any who can't see it as it is, though.
Old December 17th, 2012 (04:52 AM).

Crystal Tier

Haha. That's a bit of a cop out, Dero! xD

And I'll be sure to vote when I get home. :]
Old December 17th, 2012 (04:57 AM).
menacing
Crystal Tier

You can't ever be too careful, bro. :p I'll vote in a while.
Old December 17th, 2012 (09:31 AM).
→ treasure any encounter
ModeratorCS

Dero's idea is actually pretty good because we've had instances where people couldn't see the whole profile or couldn't see the images on a profile. xD; so if anyone else would like to do that feel free to do so and I'll see about putting them in the first post.
and that's why I travel
there's only light ahead
Old December 17th, 2012 (10:10 AM).
★☆let go of everything
ModeratorCS

Nature: Brave
I just realized voting started. xD I haven't done much to my profile but everything was done before I signed up sooo xD I'll be sure to get my votes in sometime this week. :)

Old December 17th, 2012 (03:34 PM).
& having to receive it

Here's a shot of my profile: http://i47.tinypic.com/1jkpki.png

I'll send my votes in later today. By the way, I love your profile design, Derozio. It's amazing. <3
Old December 17th, 2012 (09:26 PM).
menacing
Crystal Tier

Oh, thank you Perdition Haze. I love yours too! :D Your icon is pretty awesome too. :O
Old December 17th, 2012 (11:40 PM).

Crystal Tier

B-but... If you haven't made it so your profile doesn't fit a vast amount of resolutions then that's a reason not to vote for you!

Taking a screenshot is cheating. :o This is profile design, not graphic design!
Old December 17th, 2012 (11:54 PM).
menacing
Crystal Tier

Well, thinking about it like that, you've got a point. But I prefer to make profiles that please me. If I make profiles according to the resolutions other people have, it won't look as good as in my resolution. And I want to have a 'I've done a pretty rad job here' thought every time I visit my own profile. But yeah, since this is a contest and all, you can call that a negative point, in a way.

There's a catch, though. I have no way of determining the native resolution of most people competing in this contest or the ones who are going to vote. All I can do is make assumptions based on the thread "Native resolutions of PC users" that Rukario posted. But the statistics listed in there applies to PC users in general. For all I know, every user participating or thinking of voting might have a resolution greater than mine. You get what I'm saying? For THAT very reason, I posted a blog entry directed mostly at the people concerned with the MOTY PPC. Just go to my blog and you'll find it. I did whatever I could on my part. But no, nobody posted in there. So can you really blame me?
Old December 17th, 2012 (11:59 PM).
→ treasure any encounter
ModeratorCS

Dero's profile looks the same on my laptop than it does in his screenshot, which I think is a pretty typical resolution if not a little bit longer (which shouldn't matter on the default skin). So I don't see a problem with it personally.

Especially because he never mentioned what resolution he even had.
and that's why I travel
there's only light ahead
Old December 18th, 2012 (12:15 AM).

Crystal Tier

You don't need to determine the most common resolution in use, you simply make sure it caters to the smallest one first.

Mine fits resolutions as small as 800x600, but then also still has content for screens as wide as 2000px.

Making it look good for yourself is only half the process, and if you don't care to win you don't have to worry about the other half. If you do, however, that other half is even more important than the first.
Old December 18th, 2012 (12:24 AM).
menacing
Crystal Tier

> changes resolution to 800x600.
> checks out five profiles in the supporter category.
> sees 3 out of five profiles ****ed up. Other two basically didn't have much customization at all.
> ???
> Profit!

Yeah. No offense, but if we go by what you're saying, we should all just end the voting period now this very moment and tell every member to make their profile to fit in the 800x600 resolution. :[
Old December 18th, 2012 (12:24 AM).
→ treasure any encounter
ModeratorCS

I'd really hate to be someone who is still on a 800x600 monitor...

Both of 'em look squished to me on 800x600 haha.

Well, we've never had this problem in the past and we've had people screenshot so people can see their profile in the case that, for some reason, people couldn't see the images that are on their profile.

I mean.. if we really have to we can ask everyone their screen resolution, but I don't think that's going to be a problem here. I think, if anything, Dero should have worded his post differently so he wasn't catering to those with 'lower screen resolutions' but rather to the more common reason why people screenshot their profile.
and that's why I travel
there's only light ahead
Old December 18th, 2012 (12:47 AM).

Crystal Tier

I'm not saying that you have to facilitate smaller resolutions, I'm just saying that if you haven't then people who do have a smaller resolution will take the fact that they can't view it properly into consideration when voting.

You couldn't objectively say that a website was great while having to view it as a screenshot because it doesn't fit your resolution. The fact that it doesn't work for you would make it less so.

Without the screenshots, somebody might be put off somebody's profile because it doesn't function properly for them and then go vote for somebody's who does, and that would be fair.

The option for a screenshot shouldn't be there as it allows those who have not thought about that bit, or don't care enough, to skip over it and not have to put the extra effort in.
Old December 18th, 2012 (01:01 AM).
→ treasure any encounter
ModeratorCS

wow ok i should not be doing this kind of thing at 4am in the morning.

well, i think this is definitely something that will need to be discussed for the profile contests in the future, after looking through past profile contests i think screenshots are something that can be up for debate ... as well as what the prettiest profile contest is as well. since that factors into the whole 'whether screenshots should be allowed or not' deal. i originally took one screencap (which didn't matter after the voting began) because someone couldn't see one's profile due to the fact that they had options on for images. then in the next contest Nica came up with the idea of having people screenshot for people with lower resolutions if they feel like it. but yeah.

... i guess?? idk i shouldn't be doing this i should be getting to bed whoops.
and that's why I travel
there's only light ahead
Old December 18th, 2012 (01:15 AM).
Not wearin glasses.I wanna look awesome.
Gold Tier

Nature: Modest
Send a message via Skype™ to awolfsquared
I did not that we could start voting. vote for me everyone

I should do that soon hopefully this week.

paired to hikamaru
Gold Supporter

tumblr| instagram| twitter
Old December 18th, 2012 (08:20 AM). Edited December 18th, 2012 by derozio.
menacing
Crystal Tier

Haha, all this discussion about resolutions reminded me of what PC users and console users generally talk about -
PC User: YOU CONSOLE PEOPLE DON'T ALLOW GAMES TO PROGRESS BECAUSE DEVELOPERS ARE STUCK WITH STUPID CONSOLE AND THEIR STUPID RESOURCES AND AS A RESULT WE GET CRAPPY GAMES AND CAN'T ENJOY GAMES TO THE FULLEST.
Console User: YOU PC GRAPHIC HOES JUST CAN'T GET ENOUGH, CAN YOU??!? JUST DEAL WITH WHATEVER YOU GET BECAUSE NOTHING WILL SATISFY YOUR GREED.

Anyway, that's beside the point. What I wanna say is that while I do agree with the fact that what Counterfeit is saying is morally correct because taking screenshots actually DOES kind of go against the whole point of a competition where people are judged based on every kind of positive and negative aspect of the work they put up to be judged, I'm still gonna say I'm against this idea of not allowing screenshots. At least till all the participants are not aware of a standard resolution that they are supposed to work with. You said people posting screenshots are actually being lazy by making stuff which does not cater to the people who use lower resolutions JUST because they don't want to go the extra mile. They should be judged on it because if they aren't, it wouldn't be fair. And then you made that analogy with a webpage. It all sounds good when you hear it, but, like I said earlier, it is not practical. I checked out all the profiles a while ago. And let me tell you this - All of them are screwed if a person with lower resolution like 800x600 decides to vote. Not even your profile is spared, Counterfeit. Alright, so you think I'm being particularly stubborn because all I did was view it on the lowest resolution possible - 800x600. But guess what? Leave two-three, out of seven profiles I checked, all were messed up even on 1024 x 768. What, do you think, should a person do? Cater to 800x600? 1024x768? Or maybe go for the next resolution? The whole goddamn problem is the fact that the designer isn't aware of any standard resolution. Everything in life works in standards. You can't build a building without a base on which it can stand. Can you really blame an artist for not designing his work according to liking of person who is gonna judge him if he doesn't even know what the person in question likes? All you're doing here is thinking about what is morally correct and what isn't. But you can't deal with things in life if you think about morality every-time. You need to see if what you're saying is practical or not. A person CAN make a profile which caters to a moderate resolution so that it actually looks good on lower resolutions without being messed up and work equally good with moderate resolutions. But it should work both ways. What if a user with a monitor resolution of 2k+ comes to vote? Won't the profiles which have been designed specifically for moderate-low resolutions look relatively ugly to them? It isn't a problem with me because I'm not using that but what about others? You have no way of knowing that because nobody bothered with a poll asking them about their resolutions. They have every right not to vote for people who worked so that their profiles look good on low-mid resolutions and vote for those who worked accordingly for higher resolutions. See what I'm saying?

But all that is moot. Because most profiles I see in this competition get messed up on lower resolutions. Probably 3 don't JUST because they haven't actually used the perks they have received due to them being supporters to their limits. A contest which judges people's profiles should actually judge them according to how well the aspirants have worked with the tools at hand. If you have the resources and you still haven't used them, what's the use? People who've used McPadding or other stuff like using transparent profile pictures/profile videos (which are really big departures from non-supporter profile and are, basically, what characterizes supporter profiles) are screwed just because they tried to use whatever was available to them to their fullest? Now that isn't what I would call fair either. So I'm supposed to laud a simple profile which works equally good on all resolutions with little-to-no customization and just leave complex profiles, which the designers worked their asses off by utilizing every tool available to them as efficiently as they could in order to make it as visually pleasing as it can get, be? Is that fair?

What I suggest is that, apart from making it mandatory to view profiles on the default vbulletin style, a standard resolution should first be decided every contest so that the designers can work accordingly. The most voted resolution wins. Everyone should set their resolution to this selected resolution before voting. People with lower resolutions have to deal with screenshots. Everybody can't be catered to. If those people with low resolutions decide against voting for people they think made their profiles lazily and not according to what they want, they can just vote someone else. Nobody is being forced to vote anyone. But, as things stand right now, it would be unfair to people who made profiles on larger resolutions if they don't get votes just because the voter uses a low resolution. It won't be their fault because they never had a standard resolution to work with.

I don't care either way. If you like my profile, vote for me. If you don't, don't.

Sponsored Links

You may also like.. (Beta)