The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Off-Topic Discussions > Discussions & Debates

Notices

Discussions & Debates The place to go for slightly more in-depth topics. Discussions and debates about the world, current events, ideas, news, and more.

Advertise here

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old January 7th, 2013, 06:59 PM
stiles
Unhatched Egg

Nature: Adamant

Advertise here
In America especially, there are all sorts of additives and chemicals allowed that aren't in other developed countries. It just makes me feel unsettled about the food that I'm eating, there are relatively few things that when you read the ingredients label won't include some chemical or word you can't properly read without a thesaurus. I like to buy organic and simple products with little to no additives. It just sucks that in order to have clean food you're forced to pay more.
Old February 1st, 2013, 11:47 AM
Lance
Pokémon Champion

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Skype™ to Lance
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiles View Post
In America especially, there are all sorts of additives and chemicals allowed that aren't in other developed countries. It just makes me feel unsettled about the food that I'm eating, there are relatively few things that when you read the ingredients label won't include some chemical or word you can't properly read without a thesaurus. I like to buy organic and simple products with little to no additives. It just sucks that in order to have clean food you're forced to pay more.
See this is what the real problem is. Having to pay that much more for organic/locally sourced foodstuffs only keep the cycle going. And major food distributors and companies want to keep it that way. Thus keeping unhealthy items on out shelves.
Old February 1st, 2013, 10:36 PM
twocows
Pretentious Intellectual Jerk
Community Supporter

Nature: Lax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarf View Post
Here is one study. This is the abstract:
That study's conclusion seems to be that "the increase in consumption of [fake sugar has a direct correlation with obesity], and the overconsumption of [fake sugar in] calorically sweetened beverages may play a role in the epidemic of obesity." I don't see how that has anything to do with addiction.

Also, I take contention with "obesity is an epidemic." What a load. Is being fat like being a burn victim or getting cancer now? There's no more an "obesity epidemic" than there is a "homosexuality epidemic" or an "atheism epidemic." Obesity's not a disease; depending on the person it's either a lifestyle choice or it's the result of a legitimate medical problem, and the latter's not going to have much to do with diet, anyway, so it's not even within the scope of that study. Every time I hear the phrase "obesity epidemic," I feel like smacking someone. With some KFC.

PM me if you have computer troubles. I work in IT for a living and can probably solve your problems. My rate is $expensive/hr, but I'm still cheaper than Creep Squad and, unlike them, will actually get the job done or let you know if I can't.

Quote:
The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all.
- H. L. Mencken, unsourced

Quote:
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."
- Isaac Asimov, Column in Newsweek (21 January 1980) [source]

NEW 40K MMOFPS YESSSSS
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here