Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Off-Topic Discussions > Discussions & Debates

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Discussions & Debates The place to go for slightly more in-depth topics. Discussions and debates about the world, current events, ideas, news, and more.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old December 14th, 2012 (03:38 PM).
Sableye~
Back to PC~
Community Supporter

Nature: Quiet
Quote originally posted by AlexTheRose:
Since when have criminals followed laws?

My answer to gun control. If a crazy person wants to kill someone, what makes you think murderers (read: criminals) are going to legally obtain a gun if it's too complex to obtain? They plan on breaking the law, and most of them kill themselves after shooting up the place. What makes you think that they care?
Yes.
Yes.
Yes.
Seriously, if someone is messed up enough to kill people, what's to stop them from obtaining guns illegally?
Old December 14th, 2012 (04:13 PM).
Livewire
でんきタイプ

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Skype™ to Livewire
Yep, because Wal-Mart just sells guns illegally and 'doesn't bother with the laws'. What has the world come to!?
Why take the risk of going about it illegally, getting involved in illegal activities that are closely monitored by the Feds/ ATF, when you can walk into a store and buy one, no questions asked. What do we not understand about that?
Old December 14th, 2012 (04:30 PM).
TrollShammy80
Loved all Pokemon Since 98'

This is such a heartbreaking day, my thoughts and prayers go out to all those familys and staff. This is just horrible...these kids didn't deserve this at all, heck no one does

Proud MLP Fan/NCIS/Ghost Hunters/Ghost Adventures/CSI and many others
RIP: Step Mom 7/17/53-7/2/13
RIP: Uncle Jesse ???-1/3/2014
"I do breed for IVs/Ev's...but I always remember to have fun playing Pokemon"
"I always play for fun on my emulators and Y version only"
www.youtube.com/trollshammy80
Old December 14th, 2012 (07:14 PM).
Bluerang1
pin pin

Nature: Relaxed
I can't deal. It's a demon. No other way to explain it. And he killed his mum not in the school? Then why'd he go to the school?
Old December 14th, 2012 (07:17 PM).
droomph
mmm gurl that 90s
Community Supporter

Nature: Impish
Since when have criminals followed laws?

My answer to gun control. If a crazy person wants to kill someone, what makes you think murderers (read: criminals) are going to legally obtain a gun if it's too complex to obtain? They plan on breaking the law, and most of them kill themselves after shooting up the place. What makes you think that they care?
Since never. That's why they are criminals.

Let's see, a reason to a law being in existence is a promise to their citizens that the government will protect them. Whether or not the citizens are actually being protected is up to the citizens to decide. This is a law that will protect them in theory, so it might as well be tried out. Even though this is such a cliché, I think this can relate to the "better late than never" phrase. It might as well be tried out, because people are going to die and be hurt either way. Better to take the chance that it might solve the problem rather than to say a definitive hypothesis of "no f you" and then walk away.

Old December 14th, 2012 (07:59 PM).
TRIFORCE89
Guide of Darkness
Community Supporter

Quote originally posted by Bluerang1:
I can't deal. It's a demon. No other way to explain it. And he killed his mum not in the school? Then why'd he go to the school?
Illogical people do illogical things
Old December 14th, 2012 (08:04 PM).
Hikamaru
i am a fire escape
Community Supporter

Nature: Quirky
I remember seeing this on the news when I woke up, it was terrible and I was mourning all the dead victims.

Especially the children, they died a terrible death. Not even I would ever use a gun after seeing this.

May they rest in peace.
Old December 14th, 2012 (10:39 PM).
Riku
Who cares to know, eh Bubbles?
Community Supporter

First off, my condolences and deepest feelings for those involved and who've suffered today/yesterday. What has happened can not ever be put into words, and I'm sure that you've all lost something dear. I hope though that one day, and hopefully one day soon, you will all be able to smile again wholly and without the pain/feelings of what you are enduring now.

Second, getting back on topic, the name and photos that spread throughout the major news networks are apparently wrong. However, the damage has already been done as the name of the person given was incorrect. Additionally, the photo of the guy was apparently wrong as well, as they were supposedly of another person sharing the same name. Now, the person completely innocent is being accosted by the masses.
http://mashable.com/2012/12/14/ryan-lanza/

Just going to also state here that this whole reporting as it happens thing really needs to be more careful before jumping the gun because when improper investigation and sensationalized reporting leads to bad things like this happening. My feelings and apologies on behalf of anyone I may know doing it also go out to this poor person who got pulled into this whole mess as well. I wish you well sir, and hope for your safety too.

Old December 14th, 2012 (11:00 PM).
Forever
let it go

In relation to banning guns: tbh... I'd be a fan of removing guns outright from the world, and not just gun laws. Without guns the worst people could really do is STAB someone, and mass "anything" wouldn't happen as there wouldn't be any way for someone to quickly STAB 20 people without someone calling the police or stopping them. Even still, guns anywhere aren't necessary and sure you may argue it's needed to kill animals, but there are other ways that they can be killed other than being shot, and to stop criminals, well, police have tasers but they're less of an issue due to police having them for the most part and while they're sometimes misused, there's never any mass tasering murders. I just don't really like the idea of guns in anyone's hands because anyone could just make the wrong move easily. Sure it'd be a long and complicated process but if we wanted a safer world, why not? There's other ways to protect yourself other than grabbing a gun (and even so you could aim it at someone and it misfires onto you idk). I just see it as people having them just so they can seem powerful when really they're not. ;( I just can't think of a logical use for guns. If you say because of war, well, world peace. If we were all better human beings and all didn't fight with each other so damn easily over stupid things like oil and didn't work as a world "community" then hey maybe guns wouldn't have existed in the first place and this could've been avoided. And nuclear bombs too, ugh. Everything, it's all so unnecessary.

As for the actual event, it's very unfortunate and sad that it happened and I hope the families of those involved can find a way to get through this. :(
Old December 15th, 2012 (01:38 AM).
Went
Team Magma Grunt

Send a message via Skype™ to Went
Quote originally posted by ⊗Slenderman⊗:
Seriously, if someone is messed up enough to kill people, what's to stop them from obtaining guns illegally?
a) Money: buying an illegal gun is more expensive than buying a legal one.
b) Effort: buying an illegal gun is not as easy as going into your local shop. You have to know who sells them, where and how to contact those people.
c) Time: a legal gun can be obtained as soon as you want if every shop sells them. An illegal gun, on the other hand, forces the criminal to wait and think twice about it. You can't just grab the gun you keep in your drawer and go shoot everybody in a moment of insanity, you need to patiently and purposedly go to the black market, make a deal and spend a sizeable chunk of money before you get to hold the gun. If it's a "spur of the moment", chances are it will be over by then.
d) Control: illegal dealings are, well, illegal, and can be prosecuted. If the police catches a crazy would-be gunman trying to obtain illegal weapons before the deal is done, they can stop him on his tracks and make sure the shooting never happens. On the other hand, a "free guns for everyone" policy means you can't possibly aspire to stop the criminal before a tragedy happens, as he has done nothing wrong until then.

Of course, professional hitmen will probably have enough time, money and effort to go through all this procedure, but almost all these massacres happen because of crazy individuals, not mafia members. Lil' John, who was bullied at school and hates the world, will have a much tougher time to get hold on a gun if there is a much stricter control.

And I keep hearing the "if everybody has gns, everybody can stop the criminals", and yet all these massacres (at least once a year) usually end up with the criminal commiting suicide after killing dozens of people. Something doesn't quite work here.
Old December 15th, 2012 (02:03 AM).
Zet
Community Supporter

Nature: Jolly
Quote originally posted by Forever:
In relation to banning guns: tbh... I'd be a fan of removing guns outright from the world, and not just gun laws. Without guns the worst people could really do is STAB someone, and mass "anything" wouldn't happen as there wouldn't be any way for someone to quickly STAB 20 people without someone calling the police or stopping them. Even still, guns anywhere aren't necessary and sure you may argue it's needed to kill animals, but there are other ways that they can be killed other than being shot, and to stop criminals, well, police have tasers but they're less of an issue due to police having them for the most part and while they're sometimes misused, there's never any mass tasering murders. I just don't really like the idea of guns in anyone's hands because anyone could just make the wrong move easily. Sure it'd be a long and complicated process but if we wanted a safer world, why not? There's other ways to protect yourself other than grabbing a gun (and even so you could aim it at someone and it misfires onto you idk). I just see it as people having them just so they can seem powerful when really they're not. ;( I just can't think of a logical use for guns. If you say because of war, well, world peace. If we were all better human beings and all didn't fight with each other so damn easily over stupid things like oil and didn't work as a world "community" then hey maybe guns wouldn't have existed in the first place and this could've been avoided. And nuclear bombs too, ugh. Everything, it's all so unnecessary.

As for the actual event, it's very unfortunate and sad that it happened and I hope the families of those involved can find a way to get through this. :(
Funny you should mention that, a mentally ill man in China went to a school and attacked 22 kids(and 1 adult was also wounded) with a knife(no one died).

As for tasers, you can kill people with heart conditions so they're out of the question. And getting rid of guns won't help thanks to the black market, the world is filled with greed and power no matter where you look. :/

I also feel sorry for the kid who was falsely labeled as the shooter, and the families of kids who news stations wanted to interview about what happened.
Old December 15th, 2012 (03:11 AM).
donavannj
The Melody Pokémon

This was an appalling tragedy, especially given it was elementary school students.

Though what's really setting off serious alarm bells and what strikes me as to what is really being swept under the rug is the fact that easy and affordable access to psychological and psychiatric help is very, very poor in the United States. The shooter in almost every single mass shooting incident that I've been aware of happening in my lifetime in the US has been mentally unstable in some way, shape, or form. What's needed at the core is far, far better access to psychological and psychiatric help (state-supported if necessary), as well as large-scale education that it's okay to seek help for your mental issues.
Old December 15th, 2012 (03:54 AM).
awolfsquared
Not wearin glasses.I wanna look awesome.
Community Supporter

Nature: Modest
Send a message via Skype™ to awolfsquared
The first time I heard about the new was yesterday afternoon when I turned on the radio. And it hit me really, really hard. Never better has something this traumatic has struck me like this. How could anyone with a right mind (though he probably was psychopathic) shoot up a elementary school and kill innocent children?It just hits me so deep and I can't comprehend how sad I feel for those parents and friends of the victims Even hours later it's still a bit hard to get over. It's probably gonna be stuck with me for the rest of the day today.My heart and prayers go out to the victims' families and loved-ones.
Old December 15th, 2012 (03:59 AM).
Brane
-

Quote originally posted by Zet:
Funny you should mention that, a mentally ill man in China went to a school and attacked 22 kids(and 1 adult was also wounded) with a knife(no one died).

As for tasers, you can kill people with heart conditions so they're out of the question. And getting rid of guns won't help thanks to the black market, the world is filled with greed and power no matter where you look. :/

I also feel sorry for the kid who was falsely labeled as the shooter, and the families of kids who news stations wanted to interview about what happened.
Yes there would be a black market, but generally speaking in reply to some of the people in this thread, you make it sound as if it's still extremely easy to obtain guns illegally. There is a higher chance you'll never go through all the effort required, or you'll be caught midway through it. It's not as easy as searching on Yahoo answers where to find gun. It's something that will never be completely stopped, but extremely hindered.
Old December 15th, 2012 (06:01 AM).
Bluerang1
pin pin

Quote originally posted by TRIFORCE89:
Illogical people do illogical things
Illogical people yes. But it also takes some logic to kill yourself because you think "oh, I don't want to be punished for this". Which is why I believe the suicide mass murderers are not human, at least are the lowest kind to walk the earth. If someone was truly illogical they'd not be aware of what they're doing and its consequences.

At least the sicko is dead. I doubt any state appointed lawyers would even consider defending him.
Old December 15th, 2012 (06:56 AM).
JayD
I‘m not going to die. Because I’m the one who will protect you.
Community Supporter

You can always try to maximize the the gun control anywhere, but illegal gun distribution will always exist and that's something we can't really control.

Oh and btw, the highest rate of murder are commited with... tada, white arms weapon. Since it's the most easiest form of weapon ANYONE can procure.
Old December 15th, 2012 (10:25 AM).
droomph
mmm gurl that 90s
Community Supporter

Nature: Impish
Quote originally posted by LilJz1234:
You can always try to maximize the the gun control anywhere, but illegal gun distribution will always exist and that's something we can't really control.

Oh and btw, the highest rate of murder are commited with... tada, white arms weapon. Since it's the most easiest form of weapon ANYONE can procure.
tada

Quote originally posted by brane:
Yes there would be a black market, but generally speaking in reply to some of the people in this thread, you make it sound as if it's still extremely easy to obtain guns illegally. There is a higher chance you'll never go through all the effort required, or you'll be caught midway through it. It's not as easy as searching on Yahoo answers where to find gun. It's something that will never be completely stopped, but extremely hindered.
generally speaking if we make it available legally, people go on impulses, similar to say buying twenty dresses you don't need. But say, the black market takes quite a while if not impossible for most of the "impulse buyer" demographic, and the impulse buyers will have to think about it before getting one to squeeze a round off.

As for the planned ones where they have thought about it and planned it out (like the Virginia Tech one), try helping them with counseling and non-sarcastic (I emphasize the non-sarcastic part very strongly) care from a trained professional.

Old December 15th, 2012 (11:46 AM).
OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire
10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Community Supporter

Nature: Careful
The first time I heard of this I was in my room reading a book when my mom called me over to tell me what happened. When I first heard their was a shooting at a school I thought it was a high school, I never imagined this kind of thing could happen in an Elementary school. I feel for the families, I hope the victims rest in peace and that God will help those who lost love ones.

I beleive we should place limits on automative weapons, they don't have much use if any at all in scenes other than war. Though yesterday there was also a guy in China who slashed 22 kids with a knife so we can only do so much to stop such heinous murders.
Old December 15th, 2012 (11:52 AM).
Lateon
The Eon Follower

Send a message via AIM to Lateon Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Lateon Send a message via Yahoo to Lateon
I'm going to use an overused quote here: "Guns don't kill people, people with guns kill people."

The solution to this is better access to psychological services and better screening for people that may go out and do stuff like this. If someone is truly messed up enough to want to shoot a bunch of people, they are going to shoot them and there isn't really anything anyone can do about it. Better psych services will serve to get those spur-of-the-moment people who are angry and need a way to let them out.

I would like to point out the irony that how gun control laws were under debate and then dropped, and all of a sudden there's a shooting in a movie theater, and then a bunch of kids get shot. That's just the cynic in me though.

Forum Activity
Wifi Activity

Currently Working On

Old December 15th, 2012 (01:44 PM). Edited December 15th, 2012 by Kiyoshi the Polar Bear.
Kiyoshi the Polar Bear
Figuratively Speaking

Nature: Quirky
All in all, despite the tragedy, I'm glad to see that everyone in the effected community is bonding together, rather than going into hysteria. I'm quite impressed with the response of the police, and the courage of the kids as they evacuated.

And quite frankly, I'd like to point out that mostly everyone in the actual town is saying to shut up about gun control and focus on the families. Nobody don't need politics right now, especially those it touched directly.

No one is really content with the fact that the town is being put on the map for having children murdered senselessly for no adequate reason.

I feel weird being so shaken up about it, considering I live in Connecticut.
Old December 15th, 2012 (03:14 PM).
TRIFORCE89
Guide of Darkness
Community Supporter

Quote originally posted by Kiyoshi the Polar Bear:
And quite frankly, I'd like to point out that mostly everyone in the actual town is saying to shut up about gun control and focus on the families. Nobody don't need politics right now, especially those it touched directly.
It isn't politics.

Thoughts, prayers, and hugs are very important in establishing a sense of comfort, normalcy, and stabilization for the local community in such a traumatic situation. Effective and necessary tools, but they don't offer solutions.

Every time there's a mass shooting, people go "now is not the time to talk about this". And then when they're done mourning and the event fades from the headlines, no one bothers to have the discussion. So, now is the time. When the country is hurting.

The townsfolk must take time to mourn and adjust, as long as they need. But the rest of the country needs to start to addressing the issue - whatever the solution ends up being.

December 1st was the Kansas Chiefs incident. December 11th, the Oregon shooting (not to mention the Aurora one in the summer). Yesterday, this monstrous event. Since last night, two other shootings in public places within the United States. It happens again and again and again.

Now is the time to address gun access, public safety, and mental health. These tragedies happen so often, that you'll never have the opportunity otherwise.
Old December 15th, 2012 (04:25 PM).
Alli
you smiled at me

Nature: Timid
Quote:
December 1st was the Kansas Chiefs incident. December 11th, the Oregon shooting (not to mention the Aurora one in the summer). Yesterday, this monstrous event. Since last night, two other shootings in public places within the United States. It happens again and again and again.
Today, we had a shooter on the loose in my own town. He shot a police man, I believe. And there was another shooting at a hospital in Birmingham. Dunno if those are the two you're referring to, but yeah. We had a lots of places on lockdown for hours today, and after the events yesterday, it was just terrifying here.

paired with klippy
bae is abnegation
Old December 15th, 2012 (06:47 PM).
Phantom
Uh, I didn't do it
Community Supporter

Nature: Brave
Where I used to live there was a shooting every week. We had a police officer killed a couple weeks ago, and that one's still not solved.

People are spewing the words "gun control" everywhere, thing is CT already has some of the most strict gun laws in the nation, and still this happened.

It was just a man with issues doing something terrible. There was no real logical rhyme or reason. It's something that happened. And I am saddened by what happened.

But one response I've been hearing has me enraged. And that's the folks that are going online and saying that this happened as a response to the lack of religious influence in the school system. I call ******** on that. I've also heard that "he (shooter) must have been atheist, because no one of faith would ever have slaughtered innocents", I call bull on that too. This isn't the time or week to pull something like that, especially making incorrect assumptions of an entire group. It's completely tactless.
Old December 15th, 2012 (08:01 PM).
Zet
Community Supporter

Nature: Jolly
So the Westboro church is going to be pissing off the entire world's population again by picketing the funeral.

source: http://www.examiner.com/article/connecticut-school-shooting-westboro-baptist-church-planning-to-picket

twitter source from one of the members: https://twitter.com/DearShirley/status/279953994124783618
Old December 15th, 2012 (08:14 PM).
Patchisou Yutohru
Community Supporter

The people of the Westboro Baptist Church are among the group of people that I consider to be the most disgusting people in the world. If anyone deserves "god's judgment" it's these folk.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links