The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Entertainment & Hobbies > Culture & Media

Notices

Culture & Media This is where all of pop culture culminates and chats over a cup of joe. Here you can find discussions relating to the latest and greatest television shows, movies, music and literature, and much more!

Advertise here

Old December 15th, 2012, 06:11 AM
Volcanix769
Known as the Quilava Guy!

Nature: Careful

Advertise here
I remember watching Nickeloden a lot before when I was young. I would always watch Spongebob and that movie, Drake and Josh was there. Especially how Invader Zim was the bomb. Nickelodeon was once a show filled with unexpected comedy and twists in them.

But around 2005-2007, it slowly got sucky. I didn't like the Naked Brothers Band, it had no point. Zoey 101 was a lame excuse for teen drama for a Mary Sue, Spongebob lost his taste of comedy and his show. Most of those shows that were sucky around that time were mean spirited, especially that "toenail" and the "baby worms". OMG.

But around now, it's a bit better, but there's some shows that still suck. How to Rock I quickly stopped watching, iCarly is OK now, Marvin Marvin I'm giving a chance, and Victorious is getting annoying. And Spongebob is less irritating now.

But what are your views? Is Nick still away from its creativity now? Is it one of the channels that dropped like Disney?
Old December 15th, 2012, 10:13 AM
Sassy Milkshake
It's ok to cry.

Nature: Sassy
I feel like once you move away from the cartoons, people start to like it less. Because that's primarily what Nick was known for, at least to me. Once they get all these live-action shows it's just not the same. I feel like once these people grow up with cartoons, they could just watch live-action shows on any other channel. I'm not saying Nick is bad these days, they just don't captivate their original audiences like they used to.

Old December 15th, 2012, 10:21 AM
Pinkie-Dawn
I Am Become Death

Nature: Quirky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassy Milkshake View Post
I feel like once you move away from the cartoons, people start to like it less. Because that's primarily what Nick was known for, at least to me. Once they get all these live-action shows it's just not the same. I feel like once these people grow up with cartoons, they could just watch live-action shows on any other channel. I'm not saying Nick is bad these days, they just don't captivate their original audiences like they used to.
Keep in mind that the Nostalgia Critic mentioned that Nickelodeon started off with live-action shows along with reruns of older cartoons until they start making Nicktoon shows. It looks like the channel is going back to its original roots (a channel dominated by mostly live action sitcoms), and they're airing their cartoons on a new channel: Nicktoons Network.
Old December 15th, 2012, 10:27 AM
LilJz
Zoeeyyyyy! ♥
Community Supporter

Nature: Quiet
The nostalgia factor have a big role in this.

But for me, I don't really like those live-action comedies myself. I prefer sitcoms. As for child programs, I prefer cartoons instead of live-action comedies.
Old December 15th, 2012, 10:29 AM
Sassy Milkshake
It's ok to cry.

@Pinkie-Dawn: Well the shows I remember were like the game show type of shows on Nick Gas, which I don't consider to be like the sitcoms of today. As a 90s kid, my primary association with Nick was cartoons.

Old December 15th, 2012, 03:50 PM
Mariah Carey
what a feeling
Community Supporter

My opinion on this is essentially the same as my post in the Cartoon Network thread, the post itself being here. Really, I'm not as fussed about Nick as much as I am about Cartoon Network. I enjoyed CN's cartoons more than Nickelodeon back in my youth anyway. As far as I am concerned, Nick become dead to me as soon as Jamie Lynn Spears got pregnant, lol.
Old December 24th, 2012, 05:19 PM
Hannah
exceptionally ordinary

Nature: Calm
Hey, I love the Naked Brothers Band!

I think the only good shows on Nick are iCarly and Spongebob. iCarly was never boring to me, as it always made my day. Spongebob is just filled with my memories, down to the little holes he has on his spongy body. Besides those two, Nick sucks.

i ii iii iv
you're just as
sane as i am

Old December 27th, 2012, 06:08 PM
Blaze42
The Spirit of Chaos

Well Spongebob's getting better, I'm liking the new Ninja Turtles show... that's about it.
Old December 27th, 2012, 07:25 PM
Gomorrah
it's the end of all things

Nature: Naughty
Send a message via Skype™ to Gomorrah
I think change is not only inevitable, but necessary. As our older generation of children that were used to silly cartoons are growing up, the stations they grew up with are starting to gradually mature as to appeal to that loyal audience. Newer stations, such as hub where shows such as My Little Pony are broadcast, are popping up that will appeal to our current generation of kids and this process will most likely repeat for the foreseeable future.
[4:32:35 AM] Shinx: my nipples are permanently erect
AMAZING DIVE CONFIRMED / AMAZING BATTLE ARENA ASSUMED
THE SPACE CENTER HAS RETURNED / EVERYTHING IS RIGHT IN THE WORLD
Old December 28th, 2012, 08:53 PM
Tetrakeet
Lilligant's Caretaker

Nature: Careful
Spongebob is all I watch these days on Nick. The other shows just bore me..

Old January 3rd, 2013, 09:42 PM
Ardos
Community Supporter

Literally every time I turn on Nick, spongebob is on xD

Nick was my life when I was young. Rugrats, Angry Beavers, Rocket Power, Amanda Show, all those oldies I loved. I don't really watch Nick much anymore, but I still think its a good channel. The shows on there now like iCarly aren't that bad from what I've seen.
Old January 3rd, 2013, 10:15 PM
Sydian
Reserved for Syd's house - Nook Homes

Nature: Timid
Nickelodeon's only saving grace these days are Legend of Korra and older SpongeBob episodes (before the release of the movie). I wish Nick would wake up and realize we want the old stuff back. I think it'd help views tremendously.

PS: That new SpongeBob Christmas special was awful and this was the first time in years I didn't get my fix of "Or his favorite underpants! -face slap-" and my childhood is W E E P I N G
Old January 4th, 2013, 01:05 AM
Arlo~
Unhatched Egg

Nature: Quirky
Send a message via Skype™ to Arlo~
I don't have a TV with Nick on anymore, but I can still see some shows through Netflix.

A lot of them are painfully bad, and Nick where I am doesn't show any cartoons bar Spongebob, it's all awful life action shows. iCarly isn't too bad, at least it's funny.

In my opinion, Cartoon Network is the only channel(s) that are doing it right. (We don't have the Hub here, MLP was shown on a Cartoon Network channel for a little bit).

My current White 2 team
Old January 4th, 2013, 03:49 AM
Mononoke Hime
viva emptiness

For me, Nick consists only of Avatar.

Sponsored Links

Advertise here