The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Off-Topic Discussions > General Chat

Notices

General Chat Reporting for duty!

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old January 24th, 2013, 10:46 AM
Kura
vimeo.com/67501143

Nature: Serious
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Kura
I haven't read any deadpool, but I agree with some others and I also really love Batman and X-men :3
Old January 24th, 2013, 10:54 AM
LilJz
Make me your Aphrodite
Community Supporter

Nature: Quiet
Batman is awesome. He's my favorite hero.

And who's your favorite from the X-Men and The Brotherhood?
Old January 24th, 2013, 02:50 PM
Ryoutarou
新生ペガサス
Community Supporter

Nature: Quirky
Is Hope considered one of the X-Men now? I haven't kept up with them in a while, but I always thought she was really cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by .EJ View Post
I prefer Jason Todd over Bruce Wayne, but either way he's from the Batman universe.
Of all the guys who were Robin, Tim's my favorite - probably my favorite Batman related character. (though I am sloooowly coming around to liking Damian)

Paired With Signomi - Brothers with Arcanine
Old January 24th, 2013, 03:00 PM
LilJz
Make me your Aphrodite
Community Supporter

Yea she does. Since she was with the X-Men at one point

And I always preferred Dick Grayson. Seeing how he evolved from a little kid up until him being Nightwing. It was really a sad moment when he departed from Batman to fight criminals by himself.
Old January 24th, 2013, 04:03 PM
Vital
ignore the whisper

Nature: Jolly
Send a message via Skype™ to Vital
Confession: I've never actually read comics. I'm real tempted to, but the amount of comics is just huge. My friend, who's a big comic book girl, took me to the Comic Book store in Times Square, and I was just in awe with how many there were. Seems intimidating, like I wouldn't know where to start =P
Old January 24th, 2013, 04:09 PM
.EJ
Arrow<3
Community Supporter Tier 1

Nature: Relaxed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryoutarou View Post
Of all the guys who were Robin, Tim's my favorite - probably my favorite Batman related character. (though I am sloooowly coming around to liking Damian)
Tim Drake's cool; I was never too interested in his character though for some reason. Damian's story was so farfetch'd I couldn't get into it at first but it grows on you haha. Dick's pretty awesome as well, but I still got love for the Red Hood.

@bloodex: try out the new 52 comics. They're not too far in.
Old January 24th, 2013, 04:24 PM
Vital
ignore the whisper

Might do that. But derp, does that mean I have to buy them. D;
Old January 24th, 2013, 04:38 PM
pikakitten
You met with a terrible fate

Nature: Naughty
Yeah I haven't read any comics either, and most likely you'd have to buy them xD
Old January 24th, 2013, 04:42 PM
Ryoutarou
新生ペガサス
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodex View Post
Confession: I've never actually read comics. I'm real tempted to, but the amount of comics is just huge. My friend, who's a big comic book girl, took me to the Comic Book store in Times Square, and I was just in awe with how many there were. Seems intimidating, like I wouldn't know where to start =P
I was never much of a comic reader in the past either. I only just jumped on with DC Comics' New 52, where they relaunched all of their titles with new #1's. I'd suggest maybe taking a look at that list of relaunched titles and seeing if any of them interest you. That's how I got deep into the various Green Lantern series.

Though since Batman seems to be the gateway for a lot of people, there's this guy named Grant Morrison who did some pretty great stuff when he started writing for the main series. This is a fairly accessible reading order I'd recommend that covers most of his big stories:

Batman and Son
Resurrection of Ra's Al Ghul
The Black Glove
Batman RIP
Final Crisis
Battle for the Cowl
Batman and Robin

It looks like a lot, but you can finish most of those in like, a day each. Well, that last one is an actual series, the others are all story arcs collected into a single volume. Despite that generic name, that last one shouldn't be too hard to find since apparently there was never a proper comic series called "Batman and Robin" until the 2009 version.

Quote:
Might do that. But derp, does that mean I have to buy them. D;
You can procure them through "other" means. They're very easy to find if you know where to look.

Though it is cool to physically have them. I've got a couple single issues and like 10 collected volumes because buying singles was getting expensive.

Quote:
Tim Drake's cool; I was never too interested in his character though for some reason. Damian's story was so farfetch'd I couldn't get into it at first but it grows on you haha. Dick's pretty awesome as well, but I still got love for the Red Hood.
I enjoy Dick just fine (ohgodwhy) in anything but his own series. Nightwing as a series is so freaking boring, but I loved his run as Batman. Damian was just...hellspawn incarnate when he first appeared, and he can still be like that, but I think he's coming around. It'd be cool to see him in an animated or live action production at some point, just so it really feels like he's cemented as part of the mythos. But then again, I don't even think the general public knows there have been like...five different Robins.

I haven't really read enough about Jason to have a solid opinion on him, I keep meaning to start reading Red Hood and the Outlaws.

Old January 24th, 2013, 04:53 PM
Ephemeral Euphoria
The Veteran

Haven't read any comics in about 4 years now but the ones I read were mostly Star Wars comics such as Dark Forces and Legacy back when the Stater Bros here still sold em.

Let the game begin.
Old January 24th, 2013, 06:17 PM
LilJz
Make me your Aphrodite
Community Supporter

I actually read the comic books. So I'm mostly knowledgeable about the characters and their back stories and whatnot. I actually got a comic book store that is 10 minutes from my palce and I know the store owner, so sometimes I get some free comics and discounts on the comics I buy. He also tells me which comics are coming out soon and whatnot. I'm really lucky :3
Old January 24th, 2013, 06:49 PM
⊗Slenderman⊗
[Left PC]
Community Supporter

I...don't read comic books, nor have I ever. x: I don't read as much as I used to, aside from school-related stuff.

Totally irrelevant, but my classes were quite weird today. One guy kept randomly throwing drug references into everything, which, funny as it was, was not appreciated by the teacher. It was his hand motions that made it specifically funny, though.
(Copy/paste the above into your browser)
Old January 24th, 2013, 07:37 PM
Hikamaru
pseudologia fantastica
Community Supporter

I'm not the kind that reads comics, they never interest me at all.

paired with AWsquared and Starry Windy
battle server | tumblr | twl | profile | supporter

loa: july 29 - august 12

Old January 25th, 2013, 06:39 AM
Seki
You idiot!

I only read manga, not comics, although they are the same, but I don't really like Western comics. (i hope you know what I mean)

VM | PM | MyAnimeList | Theme | Pairs | Previously
Old January 25th, 2013, 07:05 AM
Correspondence

I don't think i've read too many marvel comics, only their cartoon adaptations.
Old January 25th, 2013, 07:59 AM
Oryx
Moon Prism POWER
Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
There's too much to learn about comics for me to want to read them. I feel like I would have to know way too many things to be up-to-date enough to even say that I read comics, and that just discourages me before I start, haha.
Old January 25th, 2013, 08:12 AM
Esper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toujours View Post
There's too much to learn about comics for me to want to read them. I feel like I would have to know way too many things to be up-to-date enough to even say that I read comics, and that just discourages me before I start, haha.
Oh goodness, I understand this. It's why I only really like to read things that are finished, relatively short, and self-contained. Like Watchmen. You can get all of it in one book and you don't have to know anything about anything else to enjoy it.

deviantart blog pair
Old January 25th, 2013, 08:55 AM
Vital
ignore the whisper

I enjoyed reading the Kick-Ass comic, that was a good one. Really gory, too. Never did get around to seeing the movie though.

Wouldn't it be cool to be a vigilante though?
Old January 25th, 2013, 09:16 AM
Ryoutarou
新生ペガサス
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toujours View Post
That's why a lot of different lines are basically rebooting. Back in 2011, DC Comics launched their "New 52" plan, which is essentially taking all their comics and restarting them again from #1. (even long ones like Superman and Batman where each had over 400 issues) That whole initiative was made specifically with potential readers like you in mind. A few of the big ones like Superman and Batman start in media res, but for the most part, a lot of the titles are giving origin stories and letting readers have a very solid jumping on point. In addition to that, the new "world" is one where superheroes have only been around for like, eight years, so there isn't a ton of stuff you need to know about.

I wasn't a comic reader before then exactly for that reason. Felt like you had to know 50+ years of history to really understanding anything. Though I've gone back and started reading older stuff since then. A lot of the big story arcs are done in a way where they should be relatively accessible to anyone trying to jump in.

Old January 25th, 2013, 09:26 AM
Esper

Another of jumping into comics is to watch some of the animates series based on them. There a quite a few free on Netflix. It's not the same, of course, but it lets you get to know the basics like who some of the characters are. The Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes is actually really well written.

deviantart blog pair
Old January 25th, 2013, 10:13 AM
Kura
vimeo.com/67501143

Nature: Serious
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Kura
Same! And a friend gave me a copy of Gantz and a copy of MPD Psycho manga to read. Need to get on that!

Unrelated: :c.. I hate when it's too cold and my nutella is hard and not spreadable! Waahh! :ccc
Old January 25th, 2013, 10:18 AM
Ephemeral Euphoria
The Veteran

I still need to start reading the Deadpool comics myself as soon as I get some free time from work, also there's Wormwood - The Gentleman's Corpse and Scud The Disposable Assassin even though finding those online can be a pain sometimes.

@Kura: I know that feel bro, same thing happened to my clam chowder last night.

Let the game begin.
Old January 25th, 2013, 10:30 AM
⊗Slenderman⊗
[Left PC]
Community Supporter

Comparing clam chowder and nutella? Interesting.

Xulek, you have no idea how excited it made me to see your avatar.
(Copy/paste the above into your browser)
Old January 25th, 2013, 11:28 AM
Team Fail
The fine line between in|sanity
Community Supporter

Nature: Brave
Quote:
Originally Posted by ⊗Slenderman⊗ View Post
Comparing clam chowder and nutella? Interesting.

Xulek, you have no idea how excited it made me to see your avatar.
Speaking of Nutella, I saw a No-Name brand product called "Chocolate Hazelnut Spread".

I thought, "Hell-to-the-no you are NOT gonna make a knockoff Nutella."

Pairs:
Kevin, Echidna
Follow me on Twitter! @TeamFail
Alt 1, リザードン
Miiverse
Pokémon Hackers Online
Alt 2: Jack Cayman

[04:20.39] <@GoGo> I WILL INSERT WITH PLEASURE
[04:20.45] <@GoGo> shut it Bela

[05:41.55] <Team_Fail> Blue Spider is interesting, but #MEHMasterRace
[05:42.20] <diegoisawesome> Team_Fail: Sounds like a bunch of unmotivated people that still want to try to take over the world
Old January 25th, 2013, 11:46 AM
Went
The Seed Pokémon

Send a message via Skype™ to Went
I know I might be a bit late, but, on the topic of comics, I'm still over the top because I just found book #2 from the longest-running Spanish series, Mortadelo y Filemón, started in 1958. I have almost all their 194 books and that was the only one I was missing from the first 160. I'm so hyper right now.

Sponsored Links