Community

The PokéCommunity

We are still working on a better slogan!

Visit Index

Advertise here

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Game Development > Pokémon Essentials
Notices

Pokémon Essentials All questions and discussion about Pokémon Essentials, the Pokémon game kit for RPG Maker XP, go in here. Also contains links to the latest downloads and the Essentials Wiki.

Old December 23rd, 2012, 10:31 AM
Maruno
Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials

Advertise here
Pokémon Essentials, version "This One Goes To" 11
23rd December 2012

Download

That's right, I made that joke.

So what's new?

Actually, This One Goes To 649
  • Aha! That's right, Gen 5 has finally infiltrated Essentials. In before "it's about time!". As well as that, the DNA Splicers now have an effect, which means you can fuse Pokémon as much as you like. Other Pokémon-related improvements include a reworking of ribbons, a customisable obtain location phrase, and a way to make any wild Pokémon a fatefully encountered one.
What's In The Box?
  • You're being given something, but you don't know what it is. A Mystery Gift, if you will. Yes, Essentials now has that. You start off by creating a Pokémon using the improved debug options (or get an item, which can also be Mystery Gifts), and then export it to a Master Gifts file. From there, you can choose which gifts to export to a Gift file for you to upload. You can now also upload .txt files to the wiki, which is very convenient (although unsecure as anyone could change it). In fact, there's already an example gift file there, so fill in a questionnaire at the Mart and download it!
You Wanted Another Mini-Game? Have Seven!
  • That's right, seven new mini-games! I should admit, though, that they're all variations on a theme - they're all tile puzzles. Pop into Rock Cave on Route 7 to try them out. Special thanks to the__end for creating the graphics, which include a special set of tiles featuring a certain legendary feline. I've heard whispers there may be even more sets of tiles to come...
  • Here's a list of the puzzles: Alph (the classic Unown-related tile jigsaw from Johto), Alph Rotator (the same but you can also rotate the tiles), Mystic Square (a 15 puzzle), Tile Swap (swap two adjacent tiles at a time), Tile Swap Rotator (the same plus tile rotations), Rubik's Square (shift an entire row or column along at once), Star Rotator (rotate a tile and all adjacent tiles will also rotate).
Animation Station
  • The first batch of animations to come out of the All Animations Project have been added. Hopefully this will be the start of something big. While I was at it, I thought I'd fix a bug which prevented these new animations from being imported properly. Oh, and when you export an animation, you can now give it a custom filename. Which is nice.
And The Rest
  • Many other changes, including tweaks to the example maps (check out the all-new Daisy's house in Lappet Town) and tilesets. Large maps can now appear properly on the Town Map. Partner trainers let you deal with single battles rather than try to get in on the action. You can now list as many Regional Dexes as you like in the Pokédex as the list now scrolls (and is 1 longer anyway). NPC trainers can now stuff their pockets with as many items as they want, although they can't use the exact same item on both their battlers at once. Gengar can now Curse with the best of them. Customised trainer events no longer erase your hard work. If you type some text in via the keyboard, that text is now exactly what you typed. And so on and so forth.

As usual, check out the change log on the wiki for a complete list of changes.

Enjoy!
Old December 23rd, 2012, 10:57 AM
Pharetra
MOM GET THE CAMERA

Gen V in Essentials? It's about time!

Looks good so far. I like the new move animations :3
Old December 23rd, 2012, 12:31 PM
venom12
Pokemon Crystal Rain Relased

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to venom12
I dont know what is it, but mystery gift dont work. And the option in debug says "There are no Mystery Gifts defined."

And this version is really, coold GEN5 Pokes finally, puzzles rules! Great work man, thank you.
This signature has been disabled.
Exceeds signature height limit because of broken images.
Please review and fix the issues by reading the signature rules.

You must edit it to meet the limits set by the rules before you may remove the [sig-reason] code from your signature. Removing this tag will re-enable it.

Do not remove the tag until you fix the issues in your signature. You may be infracted for removing this tag if you do not fix the specified issues. Do not use this tag for decoration purposes.
Old December 23rd, 2012, 12:37 PM
Rayd12smitty
Shadow Maker

Argh just finished changing scripts. Oh well, great job! Guess its time to transfer again
Old December 23rd, 2012, 12:40 PM
oldsnake90
Creator Pokemon Glacial Freeze

Send a message via Skype™ to oldsnake90
how do you do the V.S Animation?
V.K. Productions on Facebook

Pokemon Glacial Freeze Project on Facebook
Old December 23rd, 2012, 01:10 PM
ptisnjunk95
aka dtk95

Nature: Careful
Cool! New essentials :D i'm going to download it and comment later

Thanks for making Essentials better in every release! Keep up the awesome work (y)
Old December 23rd, 2012, 01:20 PM
Maruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by venom12 View Post
I dont know what is it, but mystery gift dont work. And the option in debug says "There are no Mystery Gifts defined."

And this version is really, coold GEN5 Pokes finally, puzzles rules! Great work man, thank you.
Try making a Gift first, as described. You can't manage any gifts if there aren't any.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsnake90 View Post
how do you do the V.S Animation?
It will appear automatically for battles with any trainers of a given trainer type if there are two graphics in the folder Graphics/Transitions: vsBarX.png and vsTrainerX.png, where "X" is the trainer type's ID. As an example, the trainer type RIVAL1 (ID number 4) has graphics of the appropriate names.
Old December 23rd, 2012, 02:30 PM
nuzamaki90
Knight of The Volt

Nature: Relaxed
I love the minigames, but then again I always loved the minigames...

I'm glad the DNA Splicers' effect has finally been implemented, I was getting kind of worried xP

I have a slight problem with the Mystery Gift though, I can't seem to get it to work right, but I'll play around with it some more and make an edit once I'v found out whut's wrong.
Old December 23rd, 2012, 04:19 PM
ptisnjunk95
aka dtk95

I've just played the essentials... i've found some teleport bugs but that's not important we just need to use the cntrl key :D

awesome job!
Old December 23rd, 2012, 04:22 PM
WinterKirby

Nature: Mild
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptisnjunk95 View Post
I've just played the essentials... i've found some teleport bugs but that's not important we just need to use the cntrl key :D

awesome job!
That only works if you're playtesting. Ctrl does nothing in the actual game.
Old December 23rd, 2012, 04:58 PM
ChaosLord
Game Dev Wanderer

Nature: Bold
You've added 5th Gen sprites? Did the aspiring "hobby" filled users finally get to you? Great job on the kit though, there's just so much one can do to make the NPC's seem smarter than what they really are.
Old December 23rd, 2012, 05:11 PM
ptisnjunk95
aka dtk95

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterKirby View Post
That only works if you're playtesting. Ctrl does nothing in the actual game.
but usually the dev don't use essentials maps... so you only walk around essen region on play testing
Old December 23rd, 2012, 05:18 PM
Maruno

In any case, I've fixed the map transfers I could find (the Cycle Road ones and entering Daisy's house) and re-uploaded it.
Old December 23rd, 2012, 06:08 PM
Umbreon
Community Supporter

Nature: Calm
Looks good!

Looks like you've used my idea of marshaling a pokemon for storage

But I am sure you thought up of it :p
Old December 23rd, 2012, 06:10 PM
Rayd12smitty
Shadow Maker

Hey Maruno quick question. Obviously the pokemon.txt was edited to add 5th gen pokemon. Were any of the entries of gen 1-4 pokemon edited? Just last week I went through and added my regional numbers for 285 pokemon, and really don't want to have to redo all of them.
Old December 23rd, 2012, 06:11 PM
Umbreon
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayd12smitty View Post
Hey Maruno quick question. Obviously the pokemon.txt was edited to add 5th gen pokemon. Were any of the entries of gen 1-4 pokemon edited? Just last week I went through and added my regional numbers for 285 pokemon, and really don't want to have to redo all of them.
Just copy your modified pokemon over to pokemon.txt, it's the simplest solution.
Old December 23rd, 2012, 10:16 PM
VEGET@

Thanks for all man, every pokémon-fan appreciate your hard work
Old December 24th, 2012, 02:11 AM
Derxwna Kapsyla
X-Class Project, Derxwna, #003

Nature: Lax
I figured out what was wrong with the Mystery Gift script (If people were having issues with it like I was)
There was a typo at line 371, it should say
if pbAddPokemonSilent(gift[2])
Instead of saying
if pbAddPokemonySilent(gift[2])

Figured i'd inform people
Development Blog:
For more information future news and updates to any projects, the following blogs are where I post information. You can usually hit me with a message there when it comes to bug reports or feedback, or general conversation about something.
Game Projects:
In Progress:
Old December 24th, 2012, 04:12 AM
Maruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by hansiec View Post
Looks good!

Looks like you've used my idea of marshaling a pokemon for storage

But I am sure you thought up of it :p
I assure you, it was an independent idea. I was inspired by how animations (which are classes just like Pokémon) are extracted to text tiles, and pretty much copied its code.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayd12smitty View Post
As far as I recall, all I've done was remove the FormNames= line for Arceus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derxwna Kapsyla View Post
I figured out what was wrong with the Mystery Gift script (If people were having issues with it like I was)
There was a typo at line 371, it should say
if pbAddPokemonSilent(gift[2])
Instead of saying
if pbAddPokemonySilent(gift[2])

Figured i'd inform people
Oh, FFS. Maybe I'm dyslexic after all.

I've re-uploaded v11 again with this fix.
Old December 24th, 2012, 07:24 AM
Umbreon
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maruno View Post
I assure you, it was an independent idea. I was inspired by how animations (which are classes just like Pokémon) are extracted to text tiles, and pretty much copied its code.
Yep, I got the idea the same way : P (Which is why I thought you came up with it : D)
Old December 24th, 2012, 12:46 PM
AmethystRain
Crystaline

Sorry if this is specified somewhere- I couldn't find anything with a quick search on the wiki- but what's the range of Trainer Skill from their money? I.e I can assume 0 or 1 is the lowest skill, but if I wanted a trainer with the maximum, highest ability, would I set their base money to 100, or something else?
With Love, Your Shadow~
Proud owner of Reborn and spearhead of the Pokemon Reborn game~
Old December 24th, 2012, 03:33 PM
Maruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmethystRain View Post
Sorry if this is specified somewhere- I couldn't find anything with a quick search on the wiki- but what's the range of Trainer Skill from their money? I.e I can assume 0 or 1 is the lowest skill, but if I wanted a trainer with the maximum, highest ability, would I set their base money to 100, or something else?
You can have a look at the base money amounts in trainertypes.txt for an idea of the range. The AI is far from complete, but as it stands the highest skill level is "90 or above" which includes Gym Leaders and other big people like that, and the lowest is "49 or lower". You can have a look in PokeBattle_AI for "skill" to see what levels do what.

Having skill depend on money is a bit of a dodgy idea, because Swimmers have a very low amount of money because of their lack of pockets, Burglars have lots of money because they stole it, and Ladies just have huge wads - none of these facts should imply their relative strengths at being trainers. At the moment skill/money levels don't affect too much, but may do in future, so this may become important.

Bear in mind that wild Pokémon don't do any AI calculations. Each of their moves has an equal change of being used.

AI isn't mentioned anywhere in any great details because it's one of those fiddly things that people aren't expected to touch (although admittedly it's simpler than it could be). I believe you expressed interest in developing the AI in the past, and I'd be perfectly willing to help you with that. I don't have any experience with balancing, which is really what this is, so I'd need others to say what is acceptable behaviour for different tiers of AI (and indeed to invent those tiers). It's a topic for another thread, though.
Old December 29th, 2012, 08:58 AM
WackyTurtle
Developer

Nature: Relaxed
Great job, but I'm not a huge fan of the red-coloured names of items you find in item balls. Is there any way to change this back? Thanks.

Old December 29th, 2012, 12:21 PM
p.claydon

errrrr what is this dna splicer and how dose it wk
Old December 30th, 2012, 04:03 PM
Maruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by WackyTurtle View Post
Great job, but I'm not a huge fan of the red-coloured names of items you find in item balls. Is there any way to change this back? Thanks.
Changing the messages is simple enough. They're in PokemonField. I'll change them to blue, as they appear in the Gen 5 games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by p.claydon View Post
errrrr what is this dna splicer and how dose it wk
The DNA Splicers (plural) is an item from B2W2, which you can use to fuse Kyurem with either Reshiram or Zekrom.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here