The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Art & Design

Notices

Art & Design For digital, traditional, design, photography and mixed media art, Pokémon-related or not. Showcase or discuss anything related to the visual arts here.

Advertise here

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old September 20th, 2013, 11:56 AM
Sora
The Keyblade Pokémon

Nature: Gentle

Advertise here
@Alexial - I already thanked you for your comments and critique but I have to thank you again sooo much. I see where you are talking about when it comes to Sylveon. I do recall having guidelines so I think it might be the neck and causing the head to be too high. Or I did my guidelines wrong haha. Either way I'll definitely keep it in mind next time.

Shading I always forget that I need to remember where exactly the light source is or I fail to make a light source to base my shading off of when I start so without a clear idea I end up having it all over the place. But I'll keep it in mind and try to remember to give myself a light source when I shade.

Victini's head bugs me for that very reason haha. Sadly, I'm not going to do anything more to that victini image but I will definitely keep the head and body proportions in mind for the next time I draw it. Overall, I wasn't too impressed with Victini (I was more happy with Sylveon because of its feet anatomy actually. Spent quite a bit on it and I'm glad that the end result was good!) so definitely going to possibly redraw it in the future. Victini was a bit rushed (only took a half-hour) so when I do redraw it I'll take more time to do so.

And you already know that I'll come to you if something doesn't look right. ♥

That saaaaid........

Just some icons. Haven't really drawn much (that I will be showing) since but hopefully I'll be drawing something soon.

Last edited by Sora; January 24th, 2014 at 07:26 AM.
Old September 30th, 2013, 07:42 AM
Sora
The Keyblade Pokémon

And some drawings!

Oshawott
Spoiler:

Main thing I can say about this piece is that I hate circular things because I can never get them right sob. Anyways I like this piece but there are things I don't like about it.

Espeon
Spoiler:

Art Trade with ~Ryukaa! I drew him this and he drew me a Totodile. ♥ Despite anatomy problems I really like how this piece came out. There was somewhat of a background on this one but I couldn't get the background to work right (because I suck at backgrounds) so in the end I left it like this. Oh welll.
Old September 30th, 2013, 08:21 AM
Overlord Drakow
-CONQUERER

Nature: Serious
That Espeon looks sick! I think Umbreon would be more suited for that kind of facial expression but I love it regardless.
Old September 30th, 2013, 09:11 AM
derozio
my ghost is whispering to me
Community Supporter

Nature: Lonely
Out of the icons you've posted, the first one looks the weakest. The colors just aren't vibrant enough. Maybe bring out the colors more using selective colors? The others are sick, though. I especially love the colors in the one where the character with green hair is sleeping. Reds, greens; all colors are perfectly balanced. Definitely something I could see myself using a lot. I mean, it's hawt.

Oh, and you've improved a lot when it comes to placement, imo. None of the icons seem to have awkward placement, not even the one with multiple characters. So good job on that too!
Old September 30th, 2013, 09:27 AM
Sora
The Keyblade Pokémon

Yeah I think I was too scared to take any risks with the first one so in the end it didn't turn out as bright. Might be because the art is from an artist that I really enjoy seeing and it was my first time editing one of her pieces for an icon and such haha. But I might see about redoing it and taking more risks with it. I think it's for that reason that I didn't show another icon I did a bit after with her work again (same image just different character) but I'll put it up here now anyways.

ugh that white line but yeah. think i failed with taking risks with this one as well. also i believe it also need text or something due to the space where there is nothing present but these are my own analysis of this icon.

That said I'm happy to hear about the remainder of the icons! Especially with placement since I know that was a crit that you had given to me previously.

oh there is also this icon that i did as well

idk it also has that whole thing with not being strong enough. might have something to do with me having done it after that other one haha.
Old October 2nd, 2013, 07:05 AM
Sora
The Keyblade Pokémon

On a drawing spree wheee

Dratini
Spoiler:

just something simply I decided to draw the night before last night. not completely clean but it was like 2am and i didn't want to touch it up when i was done aha

Annabeth Chase????
Spoiler:

Okay. This piece was an experiment. I want to find a style that I like when it comes to humans and then get better and better with that style. At first I didn't like this piece at all but after some critique from a friend and some editing I like it a bit more. But knowing what I can do to improve from this can be a huge help in finding a style that I can stick with and improve on. Since right now I feel like my current style of humans I can't really improve or (or osmething idk. maybe I just want a new style haha).

That's all for now ♥

Last edited by Sora; October 2nd, 2013 at 07:40 AM.
Old October 2nd, 2013, 07:39 AM
Overlord Drakow
-CONQUERER

I really like the eyes you drew for Dratini, I dunno I think the colours you've used work well.
Old October 3rd, 2013, 07:47 AM
derozio
Community Supporter

I'll try to post an in-depth, sort of, post a while later. For now, I think you have established a pretty distinct look for your human character already. One area where I can see you improve is the hair department. Your face, especially those eyes, feel distinct enough. The hair is what's holding this back. It does not look natural enough right now, tbh. I think you can start off by watching this video or any of the other video he did on hair since I think it'll give you a good idea as to how to make the hair look more dynamic and natural.

or if the video doesn't show up then search 'how to draw manga hair' by markcrilley on youtube. He's a terrific teacher who I found really helpful.
Old October 3rd, 2013, 02:24 PM
Sora
The Keyblade Pokémon

I'll watch that since in general I certainly agree that my hair lacks oomph. However, I'm actually trying to have less of a strict anime style and have more of an inbetween of an anime and more cartoonish (or realistic? idk since animes are cartoons but maybe i make enough sense here) since I'm not that much into anime as I used to be. So to me it just feels strange to have a strict sort of anime style going on.
Old October 3rd, 2013, 02:41 PM
derozio
Community Supporter

Oh you make perfect sense. Mostly because I had a feeling that strictly anime hair, or character for that matter, style is not what you're going for. But, even then, I still linked the video mainly because I feel that a person can still gain quite a bit from it even if they don't strictly want to follow the particular style shown in the video. But I guess I'll go search for some pseudo anime-realistic hairstyle tutorial. Although it'll be harder to find, lol. There's generally only anime and realism and very few inbetween stuff. :p
Old October 3rd, 2013, 02:45 PM
Sora
The Keyblade Pokémon

I thought so which is why I'll still watch it. :) any sort of progress would be good regardless! One of my favorite artists has a pretty good anime-realistic style that I really like but of course I don't want to copy her style. Or any other style I've seen for that matter haha. Regardless any tutorials will be fine as I'm finally starting to warm up to them. ♥

Oh you know what I'm going to toss in a few more icons I forgot or have made like... today haha.

Froakie & Mega Pokemon (Spoilers)
Spoiler:

PJO
Old October 3rd, 2013, 11:53 PM
Overlord Drakow
-CONQUERER

Spoiler:
That Mega Charizard omg so good. Perhaps you could have added a bit more shine onto the claws but otherwise it's great! Can you do a signature of it too at some stage?
Old October 4th, 2013, 12:29 AM
Sora
The Keyblade Pokémon

Spoiler:
I think if it was any whiter it would have looked odd to be honest. Too much focus on the claws which I didn't want. Not to mention the claws are generally the same color as the white in the flame and that doesn't need to be much brighter. Regardless, the avatar was made specifically for Dipu to use so while I'm usually ok with people using my avatar I would like for only Dipu to use it for the time being. Also I'm not too keen in making a signature for it. Especially since it's been forever since making a tag and I'm honestly not in the mood to do so. Sorry.

Last edited by Sora; October 4th, 2013 at 12:34 AM.
Old October 4th, 2013, 07:49 AM
derozio
Community Supporter

I apologise if any of the following doesn't make sense. I'm sleep deprived with a throbbing head right now. So umm not in a good state at all.

I like the froakie icon. Colors are good and placement is fantastic. M!Venusaur icon seems a little brighter in the white areas than it should be. Almost as if you applied diffuse glow on the white areas. Dunno if that's the case or its just the stock but it is a tad too much, imo. I think it could do with more color adjustments. Bring out the reds more, maybe? And experiment a bit with the overall color scheme, I'd say. You can have many different kinds of colorings in icons. :p Same goes for last one - M!Charizard. I think you could have either made the blue parts more blue or created a little more contrast by upping the contrast levels a bit. Those two look like you can tweak them a bit unlike the froakie icon which looks perfect color wise.

Oh and i was like wtf did dipu stop using that?? Lmao. Drakow, I think it is better if you ask the artist involved before you use any of their works. Would save you from awkward situations like the one you are in right now. Also, the artist concerned might not even want you to use it and you may effectively piss him/her off. Tara's a nice girl. She could've been much more rude and that would still not be considered a bad thing on her part.
Old October 4th, 2013, 09:04 AM
Lilith
Protect his very soul.

I love how vibrant and colorful your art pieces are. The Froakie icon has amazing placement; I'm captivated by how well the bubbles fit within the icon. The Venusaur icon also has structure to it, but I feel the bottom of the icon is too dark and the reds are washed out. The flower is my favorite thing about Venusaur's line, so I'd like to see the reds pop out more too. The Charizard icon is too zoomed in for me; I couldn't tell what it was at first. It really does look like the novelty black Zangoose on GPX at first glance, haha. All three icons are pretty safe in color, meaning they don't stray from the original color scheme. I'd like to see you experiment with all kinds of color ranges to make pieces even more visually interesting. There's a tutorial on color theory here, with this page detailing how to make your colors turn more heads.

The PJO icon has a great colors too, and the text really pulls the icon together, well done. My favorite icon would have to be this Fire Emblem one for its coloring. I adore your Dratini drawing and the lineart in all of your digital drawings. I'm envious of how you draw eyes, since it's rather difficult for me to do still. Keep up the wonderful work!
Old October 6th, 2013, 11:17 AM
Sora
The Keyblade Pokémon

I just have to say that out of the three most recent Pokemon icons the Froakie one it one I had spent the most time on. It just goes to show that spending more time on your art can really help and often times you end up with a better result because you spent more time on it. ♥ That said thank you both for your crit and I'll keep them all in mind for future icons! Also bookmarked both of the links that Blade linked so I can go back to them for reference with coloring.

That said I have something new to show!

Litwick
Spoiler:

Painted in Sai and then tossed over to Photoshop for the finishing touches like with my last few paintings. I'm too lazy to comment on my own piece but overall I like how it came out.
Old October 18th, 2013, 09:07 PM
Sora
The Keyblade Pokémon

I posted it in a few other places so might as well here too.

Satoshi/Ash
Spoiler:

Trying different angles + coloring and such. Also XY has been amazing so far and I hope it stays that way.
Old October 22nd, 2013, 09:06 PM
Trojanman

You definitely have a keen eye for colors from the looks of your first post. A lot of potential.

Active graphics site on the link below!
http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/34/
Old October 26th, 2013, 05:03 PM
Sora
The Keyblade Pokémon

Ahhhh finally a piece I can say that I am very proud of!

Jason & Nico
Spoiler:

Despite the crappy background and such hahaha...
Old October 30th, 2013, 10:30 AM
Sora
The Keyblade Pokémon

I am seriously on a roll here.

Apollo Justice (DLC Clothing)
Spoiler:

**SPOILERS FOR AA5**
Chibi!Apollo & (Spoilers)
Spoiler:

This one was just a doodle that I thought up in my head but it made me sad haha... ;;
Old December 5th, 2013, 03:37 PM
Sora
The Keyblade Pokémon

So I decided to partake in this thing where for the month of december you draw your favorite according to whatever this thing says. Day one - day four have really been more doodles than actual artwork (though I might still put them up later idk). But I really like how day five came out. So here it is!

Shiny Sylveon

Also for the heck of it I compared it to the other two sylveon's i drew earlier this year.
Spoiler:

:D?
Old December 5th, 2013, 11:25 PM
Fairy
Princess of Hyrule

EEEEK that Sylveon is wonderful! I love it, really. It looks excellent too. It's not classic Sugimori style, but it really doesn't need to be. You've put a lot of your own style into it and I really appreciate that.

Also I think I'm going to try to do the whole December Pokemon drawing thing too. It seems like fun~!

{pair}{brothers}{mod}{twin}{gallery}
{bell tree}{pixel joint}{fairy club}{acnl club}{theme}
{pokemon fae}{credit}{friend code}{dream address}
Old December 6th, 2013, 05:53 PM
mew2424

Nature: Brave
Sick dude you got some talent
Old December 7th, 2013, 12:07 AM
awolfsquared
I like to do 'Garfield Mondays'
Community Supporter

Nature: Modest
Send a message via Skype™ to awolfsquared
You're doing that challenge too! I started it not too long ago and have been posting everyday in my gallery here You're Sylveon is fantastic! I drew Sylveon for Day 5 as well. (You can check it out in my gallery if you like. ) Keep it up!

"I have no idea what I'm doing. but I know I'm doing it really, really well."- Andy Dwyer
DeviantArt | Tumblr | Art Gallery | Ask Me Stuff | Paired to
Old December 7th, 2013, 04:11 PM
Sora
The Keyblade Pokémon

Sweet! I might go and check it out! I'm not showing every day just the ones that I really like but in the end I might throw them all up in a little thing for all to see idk.

But that said here is my day seven: fire! Didn't really like my day six haha so yeah.

I. am. in so much disbelief right now. Like I can't believe at all that I actually drew this and I'm so proud and ughh i actually teared up. I guess this is how it feels to really be proud of something!
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here